PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the taste..

ancom41
11-27-2006, 09:48 AM
Recently I have been having problems keeping my PWO shake down because of the taste - specifically the whey protein. I've tried different flavors to no avail. I've also tried varying the water/protein ratio with no luck. What gets me is the synthetic taste. I've had luck with my night shake by adding anything with citrus. I usually use 40g whey, orange juice, a bannana, and ice (blended) - taste quite nice. But in the mornings, i just cant seem to keep them down. I even tried adding some nesquick to stave off the synthetic chocalate flavoring.. didnt seem to help. I have to confess, I buy cheap protein.. and i've heard theres a correlation between taste and price :D I havent tried low-fat milk simply b/c i fear it will spoil during my 45 minute car ride plus hour storage in hot gym locker. Anyone have any suggestions to cut the taste? I've tried gatorade in the past.. and chocalte or vanilla + gatorade didnt seem to taste any better than just water.

RedSpikeyThing
11-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I personally don't like the fake chocolate either....my solution was to buy vanilla, but I don't think that's what you wanted to hear. You could try using powdered milk to add some flavour to it.

ancom41
11-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Yea.. I get the same synthetic taste out of the vanilla flavor that I do from the chocalate.

I've never tried powder milk to begin with.. Ill have to give this a try.

Anyone happen to know why (im assumming its the citric acid) cuts the flavor of the whey protein? I literally cant taste any flavoring when its added.

Holto
11-27-2006, 01:04 PM
What is it sweetened with?

I find sucralose to be the most natural tasting.

ancom41
11-27-2006, 01:28 PM
I have no clue, i'll look when i get home.

Altephor
11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Try Muscle Milk. It is expensive but I love the taste.

jft9120
11-27-2006, 02:59 PM
i throw about a fourth of a cup of oatmeal into 44g of cheap way. you cans still taste a little of the horrible chocolate flavor, but its masked by the oats and the aftertaste is the oats and not the chocolate. good to me at least