PDA

View Full Version : Need some guidance on gaining/cutting

Hawk45
11-27-2006, 06:29 PM
I am 33yrs old. I am 6'4" and 200lbs. Body fat has never been measured but probably in low teens...maybe less.. only place I have fat is some around my waist and on my back... everywhere else veins are popping.

I do weights MWF and cardio (running) 4-5 days a week.

I have been using Fitday for about 8 months and track every little thing. I am eating around 2000 - 2300 cals per day. And a 30-30-40 nutrion split of those calories (fat-protein-carbs).

I know I have lost fat (30 lbs overall) but my measurements aren't any different than when I started 8 months ago.

I am still working on getting cut (want the 6 pack) but I also want to gain some size/mass. What do I need to do? More calories? I just don't want to get bulky... want that lean cut look with mass... if that makes sense.

Thanks for reading and your our help is appreciated.

John

WildJames
11-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I don't think it's a good thing your carb intake is the highest % of your macros.

RedSpikeyThing
11-28-2006, 11:58 AM
How did you lose 30 lbs and not change size? If anything, that suggests you lost muscle and gained fat.
Your protein looks quite low. 30% of 2000 calories is ~150 g of protein - not enough for someone who weighs 200 lbs!! Also, there is no need to use percentages in your diet. There are minimum amounts of fat and protein (0.5 g/ lb LBM and 1 g/ lb LBM, respectively) that you should hit everyday. After that, fill in the remaining calories with whatever you like.
It is very difficult to get bigger and stay cut. You either eat in excess to gain weight and muscle mass, or eat in a caloric deficit and lose fat.

RedSpikeyThing
11-28-2006, 12:00 PM
I don't think it's a good thing your carb intake is the highest % of your macros.

Percentages are irrelevent, as I said in my post above. For example, my diet is often 21% protein. That doesn't sound like nearly enough. BUT, when you consider that it's 200 g of my 3750 calorie diet and that I weigh 150 lbs, it is more than enough.

Hawk45
11-28-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks everyone...

I lost 30lbs b/c I was not very fit and even though I was working out I was half-a$$ing it. I got serious about my workouts (low weights and high reps and lots of cardio) and began tracking everything in Fitday. I was tired of putting in the time and still having a double chin (hated that thing). The 30lbs was pretty much all fat. I am thinking my measurements did not change b/c I replaced bulky fat with lean muscle.

I think I have kinda answered my own question.. I stopped using Fitday the past 4 months. I just started tracking again. I need to cut my carbs and increase protien intake. Once I have attained my 6pack I'll decide if I want to add size.

Thanks again everyone.

John

RedSpikeyThing
11-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I am thinking my measurements did not change b/c I replaced bulky fat with lean muscle.

I'd like to agree with that, but in equal volumes fat weighs less than muscle.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2006, 07:21 PM
I am thinking my measurements did not change b/c I replaced bulky fat with lean muscle.You didn't exchange one for the other. Muscle either gets bigger, smaller, or stays the same size. Fat doesn't turn into muscle.

Altephor
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
He's saying he lost the fat and gained some muscle, hence replacing.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-28-2006, 10:45 PM
No, that isn't replacing. That's called body recomposition.

RedSpikeyThing
11-29-2006, 09:56 AM
He's saying he lost the fat and gained some muscle, hence replacing.

this would result in a change in weight since the density of muscle is greater than that of fat.

method115
11-29-2006, 12:57 PM
he probably just measured wrong.

Hawk45
11-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm new to all this.. so all I know is that I am stronger than before and have lots less fat... Hahahah.. that is all that matters to me. I guess I just need to really watch my diet and hit the weights hard and get my cardio going strong. Once I get the six pack I have always wanted I can worry about putting on some more muscle. For now I just want to get defined. Will be a good challange over the winter months.

John

Altephor
11-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Well you can't get defined and put on muscle at the same time. You need mass to make muscle. So you can either get bigger, or you can get toned.