PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Diet???

deftones81
11-27-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm a little confused about what I should do with my diet and any advice is appreciated. About 5 months ago, I started lifting again after a 9 month absence. In the time I stopped lifting, I gained a ton of fat (about 20 lbs) and became heavily out of shape (poor diet, no exercise, etc). In the 5 months I lifted again, I've gained back all my strength and then some. I'm lifting more than I ever have before and I'm starting to get back into shape (I was running 20 min three days a week, now I do 1 min walk/2 min sprint x 4). I also noticed I took about an inch or so off my waist. I'm still a little too thick though and that's my problem. I have no problem trying to cut calories and eat better (which I've been doing), but I'm afraid I'll loose my strength. I've been trying to eat 3 - 4 smaller portions of food a day and I don't eat after 6PM (Unless it's a protein shake after a workout). I've been making great gains in the gym, but not losing anything. Any advice on how to lose the fat, but not the muscle? Also, I have pretty nasty acid reflux. I'm not sure how that plays into this post, but if anyone can provice any additional advice on that, it'd be much appreciated.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I've been trying to eat 3 - 4 smaller portions of food a day and I don't eat after 6PM (Unless it's a protein shake after a workout).Why are you not eating after 6PM? You need fuel for muscle repair prior to sleep. A lot of tissue repair occurs during this period of time.

I've been making great gains in the gym, but not losing anything. Any advice on how to lose the fat, but not the muscle?Lift heavy and short while in a caloric deficit...if burning the fat and maintaining muscle is your main focus. If you've gained desirable LBM and you want to cut the fat, lift heavy and short.

What does your routine look like? Days, exercises, set/reps for each. What does your diet look like? Amount of carbs, protein, fat, total calories on average. If you don't know, you should start tracking everything you eat on www.fitday.com (sign up for an account, it's free).

Also, read the diet stickies.