PDA

View Full Version : Ladies and Gentlemen

Chris686
11-27-2006, 11:28 PM
Okay, well I had never thought about doing this before, but I think it might be fun. This is my journal. A little about myself:
I work in retail in sales at the moment, going to college for Computer Science.
I lift as a hobby, and because I would be sitting on my ass if I wasn't lifting.

I'm 5'10 175 LBs, estimating my BF at between 12-14 percent.
Bulked to 195 at estimated 16 percent.
Been cutting and starting to look good in the mirror :)
20 Years old

My Split:

Day 1. Back and Shoulders
Deadlifts 4x5
Pull Ups 5x5
Bent over dumbbell rows 3x8
Shoulder press 5x5
Lateral Raises 3x8

Day 2. Off

Day 3. Quads and Arms
Squats 5x5
Hack squats 2x8
Dips 4x10
Dumbbell curls 5x5
Calf Raises 3x10-12

Day 4. Off

Day 5. Chest and Hamstrings
Bench 5x5
Incline Bench 3x8
Romanian DL 5x5
Good Mornings 3x8
Weighted Crunches 3x10-12

Day 6&7. Off

In a nutshell that's going to be my split for now. I like to switch up exercises on occasion, and sometimes I'll change sets and reps as well (e.g. Switching dumbbell rows with seated rows)

So I started with Day 1 of my split and I felt good. It pretty much went like this:

Deads, 4x5
1-3: 235 4. 255

I felt really good. I had some minor discomfort about ten days ago doing Romanian DLs so I went fairly light here, but threw on some extra weight on my last set. It went up very easily, so I may do 260 for sets next time.

DB Rows:
3x8 @ 70LB DBs

Pull Ups 2x5, 1x3 BW
If I start out with pull ups I can get the full 5 sets, but I suppose deads and rows could hurt the numbers since I was a little fatigued. I'll move these in front of the DB Rows next week.

Barbell standing shoulder press:
3 @ 115 ; 1 set @ 105
Had to lower the weight for the final set, but I felt real good putting the weight up.

DB Lateral Raises:
2x8 @ 20 1x7 @ 20
Couldn't eek out the last rep. Nothing to see here.

First post.

Should have my next day posted on Wednesday.

Chris686
11-28-2006, 10:14 PM
Nothing major today.
Weigh in at 178 pounds.
Still 5'10 :P

So since I'm so bored right now I'll just go ahead and do my 3 sets of weighted crunches...
*Starts*
*Finishes*

Whew... 2x10 with a 25LB behind my head, and 1x8 @ 25
Couldn't get out those last two reps, but it's fine.
I haven't actually worked out my abs in a few weeks, so it's about time anyways. I put about as much emphasis on my abdominals as I do my biceps.

So I've basically been cutting for the past 2-3 months. I've made some great progress, even though I've lost some weight on my lifts, most notably my benchpress (250 Max when 190 pounds, probably around 230 now). My squat held up very well. Not sure of my max, but I'm repping with only 10 pounds less (230 instead of 240) then when I was at my peak of 195. Not bad for a 20 pound drop in BW. I attribute my significant drop in my bench mainly to the fact that I didn't train it as aggresively as before my cut. I can't say much about deads since I was doing rack pulls before.

Since I'm now keeping track, I'll post some pictures of myself to show for future reference:

I took a few back shots since I never get to see my back :)
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8777/mebackwg3.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mebackwg3.jpg)
http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/1425/meback3me4.th.jpg (http://img176.imageshack.us/my.php?image=meback3me4.jpg)
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/3989/mebackgb7.th.jpg (http://img157.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mebackgb7.jpg)

And a few shots from the front (Don't mind my hairy chest)
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3764/mefrontbicepvb6.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mefrontbicepvb6.jpg)
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9535/mefrontflexld6.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mefrontflexld6.jpg)

No leg pics at the moment.
I figure nobody wants to see my hairy legs anyways :thumbup:

I'll take some legs pictures in the near future.

I'd probably sum up my overall goal at the moment to get a set of visible abs. Never in my 20 years of life have I actually seen my abs. Genetics have cursed me there. However, I can start to see the outline. I'd say they look better now then they ever have, so at least I'm making progress.

Chris686
11-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Didn't make it to the gym last night.
I had some kind of stomach bug, and went home from work early. No details since they aren't exactly pretty ;)

Feeling much better today, and looking forward to having the next three days off (Haven't had this much time off since I was on vacation). I'll probably make up day 2 on Saturday, since I really want to squat and I don't have anything better to do.
Next two days should be good.

Chris686
12-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Great day in the gym. Felt excellent.
Slight elbow pain while I was benching, but after warming up it subsided.

Weight: 176

Workout numbers:
Bench 5x5 @ 185
Felt great here. Last week I couldn't even finish my fourth set at this weight, but this week it actually went up fairly easy. I'll try out 190 next week.

Incline Bench 3x8 @ 135
Felt pretty good. Upping the weight to 140 next week.

Romanian DLs
1x5 @ 205; 4x5 at 225
Felt very good here. I was a little worried I might reaggravate a nagging injury I've been having, but I felt fantastic doing the lift. Absolutely no issues at all. Will up the weight to 230 next week.

Good Mornings
3x8 @ 135
New PR here. Nothing fantastic, I know, but a PR is a PR. 140 next week.

First week of split almost done.

I was sick on Wednesday, so I'll be making up day 2 tomorrow.

(By the way, if anyone's wondering, I just don't list my warmup sets)

Detard
12-01-2006, 05:23 PM
good luck with your goals. nice workout aswell

Chris686
12-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the encouragement!

I didn't make it to the gym Saturday like I planned. It wasn't that big of a deal anyways. I felt like watching football instead.

New week! I did change my rep ranges slightly today. I felt like going heavy on my deads so I did 3x5 instead of 5x5. I also subbed lat pulldowns for my pull-ups today. Didn't do any rows today. But I did workout hard enough to feel nauseous, which I consider a good thing.

Deadlifts
1x5 @ 235; 4x3 @ 285
285 was HEAVY! I did get the weight up though, and I thought my form held up throughout the workout. Strangely enough, I felt like my last set was easier than my second to last. The bar just flew up for the reps, perhaps from adrenaline because when I was unracking I began to feel exhausted.
:) Good day

Lat pulldowns
3x8 @ 160 pounds
Went heavy, was barely able to finish my sets.

Shoulder press 5x5
1x5 @ 95; 2x5 @ 115; 1x4@ 115; 1x4 @ 105
I had to lower the weight on my last set because I wanted to finish all my sets. However, as you can see, I was unable to finish all my sets at the desired weight. Again, I went heavy here.

Lateral raises 3x8 @ 20 pound DB
Yeah, nothing special here, other than it felt too easy. Bumping it to 25 pound DBs next week.

Overall I felt good in the gym today. I did set a PR for deadlifts, even though I lowered the number of reps. I felt like it was the strongest I had ever been doing the lift.

Ha, well for a little entertainment today, I saw a guy throw on 405 in the squat rack. It's one of the few times I had ever seen someone actually using the squat rack for what it was intended - Squatting.
He throws all those plates on and I'm thinking quarter squats all the way.
He does 1 quarter squat, and the second is an even smaller ROM. Neither reps were anywhere CLOSE to a full ROM, let alone parallel.
I laughed and went on with my business.

Though to give the guy some credit, I actually saw him doing Romanian DLs with 315 on the bar. Those were a full ROM. I actually complimented him on that, then he went to pick up the bar with 315 on it and while picking it up bent over at the lower back with no bend in the knees and picked the 315 off the ground. I guess I spoke too soon.
Injury waiting to happen. I'm going to see this guy blow out his back one day in the gym.
I remembered some gym etiquette today while waiting for him to finish with the squat rack, "Don't give any advice unless you've been asked."

That's all for today.

Chris686
12-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Didn't make it to the gym last night since I was rather busy.

I did go today though since I'm off from work.

Weigh in: 175LBs.

Overall I felt like I had a good day in the gym.

Instead of 5x5 squatting today, I decided to do the 5x3. I really enjoyed doing this the other day with my deads, so I tried again today with my squats.
1x3 @ 235; 3x3 @ 255; 1x1 @ 255
During my last set I barely made it up for the single rep, so I didn't push it since I had no spotter.

Hack squats:
1x8 @ 135; 2x5 @ 185
I felt like I was about to pass out after those squats, so I wasn't able to go real heavy on the hack squats. Started to feel a little nausea here.

Dips
Bodyweight
2x10; 1x8
Last set was hard.

Curls:
Skipped.
Curls are usually on the bottom of my list of priorities.

Seated Calf Raises:
3x10 @ 70LBs

It felt good to squat today. I know I'm going to have some DOMS tomorrow.

Sidior
12-07-2006, 11:54 PM
Looking strong in here!

Chris686
12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Thanks!

Went to the gym today for day 3 of my split.

My legs are beat up today. Feels nice.

I also haven't done hack squats in so long, it hit an area of my back where I didn't know muscles existed. That's sore today.

Workout

Bench press
4x5 @ 190; 1x4 @ 190

I haven't benched this much since I weighed in at 190+. Not only that, but I almost did all 5 sets. I am proud of myself today. Next week's goal: Finish all 5 sets @ 190.

Incline BP
3x8 @ 135

I'm sure this number would be higher if I were to do incline first, but like usual I tire myself out on the first lift. But still, I'm not complaining since I am getting stronger.
Next week's goal: 3x8 @ 135.
Barely finished, so I'd like to do it again.

RDL
1x5 @ 245; 3x5 @ 260

New PR here. Hoorah!
I've really only been practicing this lift for a couple months, so I'm starting to become very proficient here.
Next Week's goal: Same weight
My grip started to fail at the end. I'll give my grip another week to adapt before upping it to 265.

I didn't know how bruised my knees were from Monday until I did these. Ouch!

Good Mornings
1x8 @ 140; 1x8 @ 145; 1x8 @ 155

This is another lift that I've only been doing for a couple months. RDL's and GM's have become a staple of my routine. My previous PR for this lift was 135, but I did a full set at 155! I attribute the big gain to myself starting to become really comfortable in the lift.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 150
That's my goal, but I may push myself for sets of 160.

This has to be one of the better workouts I've had in a long time. I just got in there and did my business.

It's kind of odd too; I was feeling like **** when I went. I almost DIDN'T go since I almost felt like I was going to hurl. But I said screw it, you're going anyways, you'll just go light. HA! That didn't work out too well, but that's okay since the nausea left me while warming up my bench.

Great workout!

RedSpikeyThing
12-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Good stuff man. Bench is looking strong!

Chris686
12-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Off from the gym today, just posting how bad my legs are feeling! Considering how I benched yesterday, my pecs feel fine. Slight soreness, but nothing major at all.

Today at work there were a few times where I felt like my knees were going to give out on me. Boy, that was a lot of fun. It was also kind of funny watching me walk while barely bending my knees for fear of them collapsing. Haha, good stuff. Boy, two weeks off from squatting and this is how I'm repaid.

The second day of DOMS is usually the worst. I suppose I am just not used to squatting so much damn weight, but we'll work on that.

I think I've decided that from now on I will give up the 5x5 scheme and moving over to a 5x3 for my squats and deadlifts. I'll keep 5x5 for my bench since I like that the way it is. It felt good throwing on that much weight, and I had a lot of fun lifting it.

Chris686
12-11-2006, 08:41 PM
It's Monday, and we all know what that means!

Deadlifts!

I was in a good mood heading to the gym today. I had an above average day in sales and made some extra cash on commission, so the attitude reflected itself in the gym.

So let's get down to business:

Deadlifts
3x3 @ 290; 1x3 @ 295
Another PR! Felt fantastic moving all this weight, and I plan to hit 300 soon for my working sets. I look at it like moving up in a weight class.
I started my sets with 290 since I was doing 285 last week, and since I felt so good with the lift I decided to throw a little extra on for that last set.
However, I nearly dropped the bar on the last rep of my last two sets. My grip was about to give.
I have to be honest, I've never had my forearms feel so worked! Even last week at 285 I didn't have any troubles with grip. Perhaps I'm getting to the max that my grip is capable of. I'm going to invest in some wrist straps, but I'll still do my sets without them until my grip starts to give way. I'd just hate to not be able to continue lifting just because my grip sucks.

Next week's goal:
Working sets at 295

Lat pulldowns:
1x8 @ 160; 2x6 @ 160
Now, I didn't have trouble at all actually pulling the weight, but my grip was weakened so much by the deads that I couldn't hold on to the bar. Straps would have really helped me here since I'd have liked to pull 170.
Next week's Goal:
3x8 @ 170

Lateral Raises:
3x8 @ 25
This was easy again. I really haven't done these for that long, so it is a new lift. I guess these are newbie gains.
Next week's goal:
3x8 @ 30 (Maybe even 35)

Shoulder Press:
1x5 @ 105; 2x5 @ 115; 1x4 @ 115; 1x4 @ 110
Okay, so I'm all over the place here. Since I've been going so heavy on the deads I think that by the end of my workout I'm pretty much spent. However, I am probably just throwing on too much weight too soon here. I'm going to play it conservatively next week, and if I finish all 5 sets at the desired weight I'll bump it back up to 115.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 110

I'm starting to become happy that I started this journal. If anything, it gives me a way to track my overall progress and strength gains. Call me crazy, but since I started keeping track here I think I'm looking a little better in the mirror. I don't know that my goal of seeing my abs is very important to me anymore; I just want to keep setting PRs on my big 3, which I feel like I'm making excellent progress.

I also feel motivated to go to the gym because I know I'm supposed to update this thing after every workout.

Chris686
12-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Ah, and you know, with all the extra weight I actually scraped up my knees and shins real good. My right knee started bleeding. That's going to smart when I do my RDLs this coming Friday.

Chris686
12-13-2006, 03:41 PM
Squat day today folks. I'm just about ready to head to the gym.

Fun day of work. It was quite stressful, and they were going to ask me to close the store. Damn new people not coming into work.

I said "No, I can't close! I have to make it to the gym before it closes!"

Also, while I don't count my calories, I know exactly how to bulk. Here these past few days I've been eating like I'm bulking, tipping the caloric meter at around an estimated 4000 calories. I'm talking big breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and it's all been healthy foods. Eggs, chicken, steak, green veggies, whole milk.

So far my bodyweight has been stagnant, which is fine for me, but I feel like I'm looking better in the mirror, so perhaps I'm losing a little bit of bodyfat while the gym is helping my muscles grow.

I plan to take some more pictures at the end of the year, and hopefully I'll see some progress :)

Anyways, I'm going to have a little bit to eat and head on to the gym. Gonna kick my ass in the squat rack tonight. I better not see any chumps using it for curls.

Chris686
12-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Okay, another good night at the gym.

However, my worst fear had came true when I got there... X3.

I get out of my car and the first thing I see is three guys all using the squat rack for curls!
And if that wasn't bad enough, there were three more guys doing preacher curls right next to them. Now, to top that off, there were two more guys curling right behind them!

So I had to wait for those curl jockeys to finish up before I could use the squat rack. Ha, but you know, today was the day where I do my five sets of curls. I usually skip over them, but since the squat rack was occupied I just got them out of the way....

Weigh in: 177 LBs

DB Hammer Curls
5x5 @ 45LBs
You know, it's been a while since I've done curls, and they actually seemed easier today then they have ever been. It's definitely strange since I haven't practiced the lift in at least three weeks.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 50

Dips
3x10 @ BW
I think it's time to invest in one of those belts that can hold plates. I'm not sure where to purchase one, but it would definitely be a wise investment. When I go to buy wrist straps this coming Friday I'll have to see if they sell this equipment as well. I may pick one up, but if it's too expensive I'll have to wait.
Next Week's Goal:
4x10 @ BW

Squats
3x3 @ 245; 1x1 @ 285
Okay, so I decided to throw some extra weight on there for my last set. I went for two reps, but I couldn't get up from the second. It was fun to see the bar bend :)
By the way, my math was apparently bad last week. I was only squatting 245. At least, I think I was. I can't be the only one who has trouble counting the weight after some intense sets. However, I am trying for 250 next week.
Next Week's Goal:
250 @ 4x3, but will attempt 5 sets.

Angled Leg Press
3x5 @ 340
I know I said to myself I was done with the leg press, but I kind of enjoy the lift, while I just plain can't stand hack squats. This was about as heavy as I could stand it.

I'm pretty satisfied with the day overall, but I wish I would have hit the squats just a little harder. However, the weight did feel easier this week than it did last week. I expect four sets at 250 to be a realistic goal for next week. I also seem to have forgot to work out my calves. This isn't that big of a deal really, but I should have done them anyways.

On the plus side, it seems like my body is responding very well to the low reps. I feel like my squats are going up, and I feel that I'm having excellent progress on my deadlifts. Let's hope that this continues.

Chris686
12-15-2006, 04:40 PM
Friday! Last day of the week for my lifting until Monday.

Let's see how it went! Today was Chest and Hammies.

Weigh in: 180
Woo, I haven't touched 180 since my cut. I hope it's muscle gain, and judging by the mirror I'd say that's what the majority is. I've only been doing this split for a few weeks, and it looks like I'm responding well.
Bench
5x5 @ 190
Met my goal! It even felt pretty easy. Not much else to say here other than my bench is getting better every week.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 195

Incline Bench
1x8 @ 140; 1x8 @ 145; 1x6 @ 145
I put in my all here. It's great to see the numbers consistently rising every week.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 145

Romanian Deadlifts
1x4 @ 275; 3x5 @ 275
I did go out and buy some wrist straps. For my first set I attempted the lift without them, but you can see I only did 4 reps. I'm not used to lifting with straps either, and I don't think I like them. I have to say though, that they did work. However, I did feel like my form suffered a little bit with them. I guess it's going to have to be a learning process.
Next Week's Goal: 4x5 @ 275 (To let me adapt to using the straps before I up the weight again.)

Good Mornings
1x8 @ 170; 2x8 @ 175
Great numbers here. I've been excelling in this lift recently. I'm sure I do look awkward doing it since there isn't another soul in the gym that practices the lift, but it's one of my favorites. I wonder how many people are dumb enough to think that I'm doing squats with poor form? I do get some, "What the **** is he doing?" looks.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 180

Well, I excelled in every category here today. Let's hope that my great progress continues!

Chris686
12-15-2006, 11:32 PM
Argh... Boredom.

I think I'm going to the gym tomorrow even though I'm not scheduled. I'll just work my abs, calves, and maybe just BS around a little bit. I'd like to go right now, but the gym is closed :(

Rows would be nice to do as well. I won't kill myself, but I'll get in there and lift some decent weight.

Ugh, well I'm going to bed. The gym will be open when I wake up so I'll just eat and go first thing.

Chris686
12-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Today is deadlift day.

I'm tired unfortunately, so hopefully that doesn't have any negative effect on my workout.

Just reminding myself of my goals today before I make it to the gym.

Deadlifts: 4x3 @ 295 (Will probably just bite the bullet and go for 300)
Lat Pulldowns: 3x8 @ 170
Some form of row, either seated or dumbbell. I've been neglecting to train this lift, so I'll try to change that today.
Lateral Raises: 3x8 @ 30
Shoulder Press: 5x5 @ 110

Well, I'm just going to say screw it. I'm tired so I'm going to take a nap and head to the gym at around seven instead of going right now. I'm sure the gym's packed right now anyways. It starts to slow down at around 7.

Chris686
12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Ah, well last night when I passed out, I slept for a while. A little too long though, since the gym was closed when I awoke.

Anyway, off to the gym I go. I'll make up Monday today and just continue the rest of the week as usual.

Chris686
12-19-2006, 03:26 PM
Today's workout

Weigh in: 176

Deadlifts
1x3 @ 295; 2x3 @ 300; 1x3 @305
300 felt easy enough so I just threw on 305. Lifting all this weight gets a little intense. I have to get myself very ready mentally before I can pull this weight up. No straps.
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 300

Lat Pulldowns:
2x8 @ 170; 1x6 @ 170
Couldn't quite finish the last set. I used wrist straps here since my grip was completely dead from deads :P
Next Week's Goal:3x8@ 170

Shoulder Press
1x5 @ 100; 4x5 @ 110
Going so heavy on deads completely kicked my ass today, but I'm still satisfied with how this exercise went. But I did puke in my mouth a little between sets :whip:
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 115

Lateral raises:
3x8 @ 30
I was ready to go home and lay down after those deads, so I sped through these sets. I might have taken 30 seconds between sets.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 35

I'm upping the weights every week. Hard work is definitely paying off. The journal has turned out very good for me since I've been setting new goals every week in all my lifts. For the most part, I hit my goals every week. I'm making good progress even though I have not put on any significant weight. If my lifts begin to stall I may go on a serious bulk.

russianwol
12-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Nice deadlifting! Not too far from 2x the BW :)

How come you do shoulder presses on the back day?

Chris686
12-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Ah, don't get my hopes up yet!

I just work my shoulders the same day since I don't think it would fit in on a different day.

Chris686
12-20-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, I'm skipping the gym tonight. I feel like I pulled a muscle in my back (Felt fine yesterday, so I don't think it's really serious, just an overworked muscle.) and I'd rather not squat. So I'm taking it easy tonight, and I won't be able to make it up tomorrow because I'm working late.

So I'll just be doing my Bench day on Friday to close out the week. I have decided I'll do my split a little differently next week since I feel like I need to put a lot of emphasis on squatting since I feel I should be stronger in that lift. To be sure I squat next week, I'll be switching Dead day with squat day. It'll only be a one time thing just so I don't have two weeks in between my squat sessions.

mickyjune26
12-21-2006, 08:10 AM
man, your deads are consistantly improving. way to go!

What's your fav lift?

Chris686
12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Kind of a toss up between bench and deads.

Deads scare me though :P

Chris686
12-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Well, it's been a hectic week.

I haven't made it into the gym since the 18th. I took Wednesday off to let my back recover, thinking I could make it into the gym on Friday.

Wrong.

Unfortunately I work in retail. Essentially, I'm a salesman. What's the biggest time of year for retail stores selling computers, cameras, printers, etc?

Christmas. Ugh. It's been a long week, and while I really wanted to make it into the gym, it was impossible due to work. I had the honor of working the 20-24th, and working overtime. It didn't help that the gym was closed early on Friday and closed completely Sat, Sun, and Mon.

Anyways, it's over. I expect to be back in the gym on Tuesday.
I'll be doing squats that day. Wednesday I plan on doing my bench, and Friday I plan on deads.

Unlike many people, I'm glad Christmas is almost over. I'm just going to drink some rum and eat until I explode.

Till next time...

*Edit: Woo, page 2!

Chris686
12-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Woooooo, I'm so wired. I need to go to bed soon but I just want to squat!

Too long out of the gym. It's only been a week, but that's 6 days too long. I've been thinking about it all week. It's good to be back in a state of normalcy. I don't care much for this overrated holiday.

There was only one thing I wanted for Christmas... A back belt. I didn't even get it :(

I did get a rain check though. Perhaps I can buy a belt tomorrow. I saw one at the sporting goods store that I really liked. I'm off tomorrow and need to run some errands anyways.

I'm tired and wired at the same time. Wired because I need to lift something heavy, tired because I'm slightly sleep deprived with work and this holiday where we all spend ridiculous amounts of money for no apparent reason.

I've been going through the motion of deads and squats all day long. I need to get in the gym!! I'm just going to have a rum and diet pepsi and go to bed. I'll sleep for 10-12 hours tonight easily. It's going to be nice finally having a day to myself. It seems like it's been forever.

Food wise I've eaten a ton these past few days. It's great. There's leftover ham, turkey, rice, roast beef, potatos, and fruit salad.
I'm feeling like I lost any progress I made as far as body fat lost, but I don't care. I said **** it to my better judgement and got into the Christmas spirit even though it's not my favorite holiday. I bought everyone gifts and ate whatever was cooked.

Anyway, I'll be squatting tomorrow. I'm actually debating though. If I squat tomorrow, I'll only have one day's rest between my Romanian DLs and my regular DLs. My intuition tells me that's not the best idea. I may just do my bench day tomorrow and squat on Wednesday. It would be better overall.

That's it for today. Too long out of the gym and I can't get it off my mind even though it's only been a week.

Chris686
12-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Well, I have to say that today sucked.

I woke up this morning with a cough. I felt like a 20 year smoker. I must have picked something up from all the relatives I came in contact with these past few days. I can't remember the last time I've been sick.

Regardless, I knew I had to make it into the gym. I've been out for 8 days, and I didn't care if I was sick.

I decided to do my bench day today. It fit in better for the week than my squat day did.

Weigh in: 176 LBs (Not bad with as much as I ate for Christmas.)

Bench:
3x5 @ 195; 2x4 @ 195
My current PR on bench is sets at 205. I only did this once before starting my cut and losing strength. It's exciting to be getting back to the same strength level I was at 195 pounds. Hard work is paying off. Next week I expect to be able to push 5x5 at 195.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 195

Incline Bench:
3x3 @ 170
Okay, so I deviated from my regular routine here a little bit. I went heavy with low reps. This is a one time thing, and I expect to be back at sets of 8 next week. I mainly did this because I feel that sets of three is much less taxing than sets of 8, and being sick I didn't have the energy levels that I would normally. That, and I forgot what I used last time. Haha.
Next Week's Goals: 3x8 @ 150

Romanian Deadlifts:
1x5 @ 275; 2x5 @ 280; 1x4 @ 280
PR baby. Even so, these things kicked my ass today. On a normal day I would have done five sets, but I was starting to feel crappy towards the end. My grip failed on the last set. The straps help, but they're cheap ones. I should invest in a good set of straps. The ones I have don't help much with 300 pounds on the bar.
On a side note, a cute girl was checking me out today. I'll have to go talk to her next time I see her... After my workout, that is. She must have thought I was strong :P Maybe she didn't notice I was checking out the hot girls doing GM's right next to me. They looked like they might be strippers, but one had the hottest ass I've ever seen. I couldn't stop staring. What can I do? They were bending over right next to me!
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 285

Good Mornings:
Skipped.
I felt like sh... crap after the RDLs. I thought it best to just go home for the day. I believe I'm starting to feel better, but I just feel lethargic and sickly at the moment.

I'm planning on making it to the gym tomorrow after work, but I'll have to take the wait and see approach. The sickness has got me feeling crappy. If it's worse tomorrow I'm taking a day off and squatting on Friday or Saturday. I can take a week off from deads. Squats are my main priority at the moment.

Gym story of the day:
There's a couple of guys over at the preacher curl. One has a Bodybuilding.com T-shirt, and the other I didn't pay much attention to; the only thing I noticed about both was the chicken legs. Absolutely no definition in the legs.

I'm starting my flat bench, and both are doing preacher curls. That's fine, curls can be useful. I move on to my incline bench. They are STILL curling! I see them curling, and when one can't get the bar up, the other gives them a hand and pushes the bar up the rest of the way. God forbid they lower the weight and do the exercise properly.

I finish my inclines, and move on to the RDLs. They are no longer at the preacher curl. They moved over to the dumbbells for hammer curls using 30 pounders.

These two guys must have spent a whole 45 minutes to an hour just working their biceps. I looked one in the eyes and laughed.

Why?
Why does anyone spend so much time curling?
I wanted to say something, but I remember the gym etiquette. Just let the guys do their own thing. Let them keep their chicken legs, gut, and small arms. Perhaps one day they will learn, but I'm betting against that.

Till next time...

Chris686
12-27-2006, 12:22 PM
I was afraid of this. I'm not feeling so hot today. Coughing is painful.

I won't be making it into the gym obviously, I just hope I'm not sidelined for that long. This sickness is killing my appetite too. I only ate two or three meals yesterday, but at least they were somewhat large. Either way, it still wasn't what I normally consume.

I'm a little surprised today. My tris haven't been this sore in a very long time. Must have been a good session.

Chris686
12-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Feeling even worse tonight. This isn't good. I'm going to see how I feel tomorrow. If it's even worse I'll be calling into work and trying to get into the doctor's office.

Appetite is still non-existent. I'm going to force myself to eat before I go to bed.

WBBIRL
12-28-2006, 01:38 AM
There are lots of curl jockeys, but hammers are forearsm. I'd give them props for doing them, they may be thinking their building their hyoooge guns but even if they dont know it their actually doing some good with them.

I'm the KING of bad days, lifting mediocre weight (in terms of one day I'll move 250x10 on bench and the next bench day not even get 225x5... atleast thats how it was in the past) and just overall sucking it up in the gym. There's light at the end of the tunnel, don't force feed yourself if your sick. You'll get better... if you never attain the physique you want it wont be because you missed a week or two due to a sickness.

Chris686
12-29-2006, 09:11 AM
I've had to call into work two days in a row!

I've only called in once in the past two years, so I feel kind of bad. I'm the kind of guy that goes to work regardless of how I feel.

Whatever I got is contagious, and I definitely don't want anyone else going through this. It's not fun. The good news is I think I'm getting better. I still have a pretty wicked cough, but there's no chest pain anymore, and I'm not feeling fatigued.
Luckily I am scheduled off the entire weekend, so come Monday I should be healthy enough to go back to work.

I only forced myself to eat because I had only ate once all day. I knew I was hugry, I just didn't feel hungry.

Chris686
12-30-2006, 12:41 AM
I still feel a little sick, but I want to be in the gym!

I'm tired of sitting around the house. This gets old. I need to lift something heavy. Ugh. I know I shouldn't, I'm just sooooo boooooored.

It's 1:30AM and I'm still awake. Why? I'm supposed to be sick. I mean, I am sick, but I just have a sudden burst of energy. What's the deal? At around 7:30 I felt ready to pass out from fatigue, but now I'm feeling great? I don't get it.

Sensei started a topic with New Year's resolutions for lifting. Well, I figure since I've posted what my resolution was there I might as well post it in my own journal:

Bench: 300 (260+ Current Estimate)
Full Squat: 400 (310+ Current Estimate)
Deadlift: 450 (380+ Current Estimate)

I feel like the squat is a high mark to hit, and those max estimates are probably something I couldn't hit after being sick these past few days, but I'll be back to full strength in a couple weeks anyways so I feel they are accurate.

The deadlift and bench are very attainable goals in my eyes. The 400 squat looks difficult, but I feel it's doable as well. I plan to hit these numbers while maintaining a weight of 175-180. It may sound difficult, but I think I can do it.

Long term I expect to be at 350 BP, 450 Sq, 500 DL. That's way down the road obviously. I just need to set some long term goals for myself.

Enough rambling. I'm going to attempt to go to bed.

Chris686
01-02-2007, 09:28 PM
One more day....

I'm finally feeling ready to get back into the gym. I'm going to pick up where I left off.

SQUATS

I can't wait. I've put on a little bit of the weight I've lost already, so my strength levels shouldn't be too far in the ****ter. I'm going to go conservatively though. Instead of working out with 250 like I previously planned, I'm lowering it down to 240 to compensate for the strength I've surely lost due to sickness.

I've been feeling rested so I've been itching to lift something heavy. ONE MORE DAY!

Chris686
01-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Back into the gym yesterday!

Didn't feel like posting last night, so I'll do it today before I head into work.

It was squat day:

Squats
4x3 @ 240
I've definitely lost a little bit of strength due to sickness. Before I got sick I'm sure I could have done the same sets and reps with 250. Oh well, guess I can't control that. I'll just have to work my way back up. Overall this was really tough, but I did finish all the sets.
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 245

Leg Press
3x5 @ 360
Nothing special, I just went as heavy as I could. I'll go for 370 next week. I'm no longer a fan of anything higher than 5 reps for legs so I won't be doing any quad dominant exercises over 5 reps anytime in the near future.
Next Week's Goal: 3x5 @ 370

Dips
3x10 @ BW
Too easy. I'm going to have a big paycheck next week. It's time to invest in something that will allow me to do weighted dips. Right now it feels as if I'm doing the same thing every week here and making no progress.
Next Week's Goal: ?

Hammer DB Curls
5x5 @ 45
Decided to workout my biceps this week. Again, I lost a little strength so I was barely able to finish these. But next week I'll try for some 50LBs DBs instead.

Overall I felt like this was a great workout considering I am coming back from sickness. I'm just going to stay my course of attempting to gain strength. I think it will work itself out. I feel like I'm at around the same weight I was before I got sick, but my back belt doesn't fit anymore so obviously I've still got a few pounds left. I'm going to try to return it for one size smaller since it was a X-Mas present.

My appetite is back :burger: in full swing and I'm hungry!
Time to eat.

I'll be benching on Friday.

Chris686
01-04-2007, 06:05 PM
School starts next week. I'll be going Wednesday and Thursday night, so that may screw up my Weds workout schedule slightly. And squats are my main focus right now too :/

I think it will work out. Next week I'll have to go squat on Tuesday instead of Wednesday. I work Weds morning and have school at night, so I won't have time to make it to the gym.

Anyways, my main purpose today is to remind myself of my goals for tomorrow. My goals are going to stay the same as before my sickness only because this was the only day I lifted for last week. Strength losses are expected though, so I'll be surprised if I hit all of these goals.

Goals:
Bench 5x5 @ 195
Incline Bench 3x8 @ 145
RDLs 4x5 @ 280
GMs 3x8 @ 180

This is turning out to be my favorite workout day of the week. I enjoy doing every one of these exercises.

Chris686
01-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Anyways, I didn't have time to make it yesterday (Personal). Fortunately, I can do all these exercises in my home gym after I get off work this afternoon. I'm pretty sleepy right now, but I shouldn't have any issues tonight.

Chris686
01-06-2007, 07:11 PM
!

I'm excited today. Had an excellent bench session. I had to workout in the garage, and I hate it. I hate the bench, the bar, and most of all, the room itself.
But I decided I would train my bench. I skipped everything else.

I began to dread skipping the others, but I had an excellent bench session! Even though I only benched today I felt like I had an excellent session overall and it has somewhat invigorated me for my Monday workout.

Weigh in: 174 (Pretty much back where I was before I got sick)

Bench
1x5 @ 190; 2x5 @ 195; 2x5 @ 200

200! I'm stoaked. The hard work is paying off. 20 pounds lighter than I was before the cut, and just as strong, if not stronger. I was doing WBB1 and only doing 2 sets of 6 back then.
Even though this was a light day volume-wise, I feel that it was a very successful and productive day mentally, and ALL of us know that the mental part is just as important as the physical, if not moreso.

Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 200

:alcoholic :alcoholic :alcoholic

Chris686
01-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Huzzah!

A great day in the gym. Felt very good about my numbers.

Weigh in: 176

Deadlifts
1x3 @ 285; 3x3 @ 305
Yowza! My back always hates me after these. I'm so nervous before every set. It's great. The last rep of the last set was especially hard. I was barely able to lock out. However, I did, so next week it's time for 310!
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 310

Lat Pulldowns
1x5 @ 180; 1x8 @ 170; 1x5 @ 170
Well, tried to up the weight this week, but I wasn't able to finish the set. Lowered it, but by then I was pretty exhausted. I'll have to try 170 again next week.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 170

Shoulder Press
1x5 @ 105; 3x5 @ 115; 1x3 @ 115
I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but I do these standing. Anyways, it looks like I'm starting to gain some strength! I've been stuck at this same weight for a while, and I think I might have been able to squeak one more rep on that last set, but I didn't want to risk my back.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 115

DB Lateral Raises
3x8 @ 30
Finally these were tough. Barely finished my sets, but I will up the weight next week to 35LBs.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 35

Overall this was a great workout.

I ordered some Nitor not too long ago for energy purposes. I took some before I went in the gym. I had plenty of energy throughout my entire workout. Thermogenics don't have much of an effect on my appetite though, so these are strictly for energy. Serving size is 3 pills, but 2 is plenty for me. One of the best thermogenics I've ever used.

sprahl85
01-08-2007, 09:39 PM
Shave... you look more like carl than meatwad :)

Keep up the good work bro.

Detard
01-08-2007, 10:14 PM
...I'm starting my flat bench, and both are doing preacher curls. That's fine, curls can be useful. I move on to my incline bench. They are STILL curling! I see them curling, and when one can't get the bar up, the other gives them a hand and pushes the bar up the rest of the way. God forbid they lower the weight and do the exercise properly.

I finish my inclines, and move on to the RDLs. They are no longer at the preacher curl. They moved over to the dumbbells for hammer curls using 30 pounders.

These two guys must have spent a whole 45 minutes to an hour just working their biceps. I looked one in the eyes and laughed...

i know exactly what you mean. i have a friend that ONLY works his bi's pretty much. a full 90 minutes dedicated to curls....

nice lifting too! that bench is steadily increasing!

Chris686
01-08-2007, 11:36 PM
Shave... you look more like carl than meatwad :)

Keep up the good work bro.

Hahahaha... Yeah, yeah. Thanks :p
I hate shaving.

i know exactly what you mean. i have a friend that ONLY works his bi's pretty much. a full 90 minutes dedicated to curls....

nice lifting too! that bench is steadily increasing!

True. Sadly I do 5 sets of curls a week and I have bigger arms than all of those guys while usually weighing less.

I am feeling very confident with my bench numbers. I think I should be able to hit 300 this year for my 1RM assuming I stay healthy.

Chris686
01-09-2007, 09:08 PM
My back is on fire! Being sick I hadn't done deads in two weeks. My lower back (Which usually feels fine) is actually sore. The upper back is even worse. I'm feeling it all the way up to my traps. My calves are actually feeling it a little as well. Strangest of all.. there are a couple of muscles in my HAND that are sore.

Anyway, I had to workout tonight instead of tomorrow since I work in the morning and start school tomorrow night :)

Today was squats! Exciting, I know.

Squats
3x3 @ 245; 1x2 @ 245
This was some heavy ass weight. I feel like the weight is getting harder and harder as I increase, but I suppose that's the point. I'm wondering when I'll hit a plateau, but right now it looks as if I'm doing okay since I'm increasing the weight all the time. I was actually surprised I did two reps on my last set. I felt like I had a breakthrough if that makes sense. I just forced myself to get that second rep.

For the bad news, I seem to have hurt my wrist while I was doing this. It's not severe. No, I didn't hurt my wrist when I was holding the weight. I was holding onto the bar when it was still on the rack, and started to go under to get ready to lift while still holding the bar. I guess I moved my wrist the wrong way because that **** hurt! I thought I might have to call it quits for the night, but it started to feel better shortly after. It wasn't irritated at all while I was performing the lift, since my hands are really only used for balance, but I couldn't grip the bar until after I was under it. It doesn't even hurt to squeeze the bar as hard as I can. I'm only afraid that this will effect my benching on Thursday. We shall see.
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 250 (Upping it even though I didn't finish this week. I feel like I'll be strong enough.)

Angled Leg Press:
3x5 @ 380
My goal was actually 370, but I said screw it and went even higher. This was especially difficult, but I managed to finish.
Next Week's Goal: 3x5 @ 380

Dips
3x10 @ BW
It actually felt slightly hard today. But I still need a way to do them weighted.
Next Week's Goal: Do something else until I buy a belt.

DB Hammer Curls
4x5 @ 50LBs
Actually did pretty good here. Said screw it to the last set. I've really never been that fond of curls but I do them anyways. This was actually hard though. I'll have to do it for one more week.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 50LBs

A good day in the gym.

I'm just slightly worried about my wrist. The funny thing is, I have more problems with my, "Good," wrist than my surgically repaired right wrist. Funny how that works. If it hurts when I bench I may have to skip it for a couple weeks :(

Chris686
01-10-2007, 08:32 PM
My wrist is feeling okay today. I'm glad. It looks as if I'll be okay to bench tomorrow! It's still slightly... off. Not sure.

My back is still fried. Love the deads.

Strangely though, my legs feel fine. They are only slightly sore after the heavy squats and it's hardly noticeable. I don't know that this has ever happened. They feel a little weak, but that's really it.

I have been taking Microlactin capsules for about 7 days now. I'm thinking that the ML is the cause for this.

I'm impressed. I saw that it was the main ingredient in ETS so I found some ML and bought it for experimental purposes. If this supplement is indeed the cause of this, I'll never train without it again. I honestly feel fine enough to where I would be able to squat this weekend.

jkirkpatrick
01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
So I dallied over here (:)) to check things out. Good job on those dips!

Chris686
01-11-2007, 12:46 PM
So I dallied over here (:)) to check things out. Good job on those dips!

lol, thanks Kirk.

About to get ready for the gym, so I'm just reminding myself of my goals for today.

Bench: 5x5 @ 2000
Incline bench: 3x8 @ 150
RDLs: 4x5 @ 285
GMs: 3x8 @ 185

I feel great. Got 9 hours of sleep, and I've only got class to worry about tonight. I may go for 205 on the bench if I feel like I can.

Chris686
01-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Ha... 2000 BP. Well, that's classic. I'm going for 200 btw, not one ton. I'm not that strong yet.

mickyjune26
01-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Chris, I hope your wrist continues to get better. Good work on the squats, and may you never plateau.

Chris686
01-11-2007, 06:56 PM
Chris, I hope your wrist continues to get better. Good work on the squats, and may you never plateau.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, my wrist has always given me problems. I doubt it will ever be 100 percent, so I just work around it. Usually it doesn't have any negative effects on my workouts, it just seems to get hurt on occasion from moving the wrong way.
I always thought my right wrist (The one with the screw) would be the one I'd have problems with, but my left is the one with issues.

But time for today's workout summary!

Weigh in: 174

Bench Press
5x5 @ 200
That's right ladies! All five sets at 200. I'm feeling great about this. Right now I feel like I can bench more every week. 205 next week. I can't wait to throw a 45 and 35 on the bar for working out. With the way things have been going, I feel like I'll be hitting a 300 1RM very soon, which was my goal for the entire year. The last set was hard though. I barely made it through the last rep.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 205

Incline Bench
3x6 @ 145
Nowhere close to my goal here. I don't feel like I'm losing any strength, so maybe it's only because I seem to tire myself out on my flat bench before I even start these. Regardless, I'm not that concerned with it. My flat is going up every week, so that's good enough for me.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 145

Romanian Deadlifts
1x4 @ 280; 3x5 @ 280
I always try doing this lift without wrist straps first, but my grip failed. I forgot that my goal was 285 here today, but that's okay. This felt heavy enough. It felt heavier than usual actually, but I attribute that to the fact that I usually get another rest day between deadlifts and RDLs and I missed a week with the flu. With school and work I had no choice but to do this workout tonight. My back was still feeling it a little from Monday's workout.
Next Week's Goal: 4x5 @ 285

Good Mornings
2x8 @ 180
Time, time, time. It was around 4:20 and the gym was packed. The squat rack was filled with three guys (None of which were squatting.. Annoying) who didn't look like they were finishing any time soon. I had to go home to do these, but even then I was running out of time. I still had to eat and get ready for class. I got two sets in though, so I'm satisfied. I'd have preferred to get three in, but of course I ran out of time. No excuses next week.

I'm still upping my goal for next week to 185 because I feel it's attainable.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 185

A great workout. I've got the whole weekend off, so I would go to the gym on Sunday... But dammit they are closed.
I imagine the next few months with school will have my workout routine a little sporadic. I'll just have to make it into the gym when I have time.

Tonight I will post some new pictures as well. I feel like I'm looking great and have made excellent progress in a little over a month. Going to take those now and compare them to my one month ago pictures.

Chris686
01-11-2007, 07:31 PM
11/28/2006 Back Pic
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/8777/mebackwg3.th.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mebackwg3.jpg)

01/11/2007 Back Pic
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/7081/backjan112007ye6.th.jpg (http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=backjan112007ye6.jpg)

11/28/2006 Front Pic
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9535/mefrontflexld6.th.jpg (http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mefrontflexld6.jpg)

1/11/2007 Front Pic
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/3751/frontjan112007ku9.th.jpg (http://img68.imageshack.us/my.php?image=frontjan112007ku9.jpg)

11/28/2006 Front Biceps
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3764/mefrontbicepvb6.th.jpg (http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mefrontbicepvb6.jpg)

1/11/2007 Front Biceps
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/2166/doubbicepjan112007en3.th.jpg (http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=doubbicepjan112007en3.jpg)

Damn! My back looks noticeably bigger!

Front doesn't look that much different in the pics, but I can see the difference in the mirror. I've lost some bodyfat I can tell, and my abs are a little more visible.

Hard work is paying off, that's for damn sure.

I'm excited about my back. I basically was unable to deadlift at my old gym for lack of equipment, so this is what a month and a half of heavy deads will do for your back!

Chris686
01-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Boredom.

I need to be in the gym. I need to pick up something heavy. I can't wait until Monday but I have to.

I've decided I'm trying something different on Monday. I'm going to change my stance from conventional deads to a sumo stance. I did sumo for a little while and really liked it, but switched to conventional for some reason. I don't even remember why.

I really like the sumo stance. Hopefully I'll be able to pull as much, but I'll have to get a feel for it again.

I'm already the only one who deadlifts at my gym, so I wonder what kind of looks I'll get when I go sumo :P

Chris686
01-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Well, here it is. Monday.

I'm exhausted.

This will be a deload week because I feel like it's time. I'm feeling quite crappy in the gym, so lifting light this week I feel will really benefit me. I started today, so my numbers aren't that fantastic. This post is going to be short and sweet compared to what I usually do.

Deadlift
3x3 @ 285

Took out a set and went 285 instead of 310.

Lat Pulldowns:
3x8 @ 150
Light, light, light.

Shoulder press:
3x5 @ 95
Nothing fancy I suppose

Lateral Raises:
3x8 @ 25

That's it. Nothing special.

I'm just so tired I think it's time for an easy week. I will work out again tomorrow and do my legs. Seeing as how my squat is my main target for improvement I may just go heavy tomorrow on them. It all depends on how I feel.

If I go light:
Squat
4x3 @ 220
Angled Leg Press
3x5 @ 300
Dips
3x10
Curls
Most likely I will skip, but 4x5 @ 30

If I feel rejuvenated I will be squatting 250 but keeping everything else the same.

Chris686
01-16-2007, 05:49 PM
Well, no gym today.

I don't know why I said I was going today. I am scheduled tomorrow. I was just tired last night I suppose.

ARrrrrr, I might be ready to go heavy tomorrow. I've got plenty of crap to do though. I'll be trying to get up early and make it to the gym because I have class at night and a few errands to run during the day.

I said I was going to switch over to sumo style deads. I changed my mind. I am gaining very well on conventional deads. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Anyways, legs tomorrow. That is all.

Chris686
01-18-2007, 02:04 AM
Getting up early didn't exactly work out. I woke up at 11:30 :eek:

I had too many things to do today to make it into the gym, but I am completely free tomorrow. I was going to wash my car, but making it into the gym is of a higher priority for me :thumbup:

It's always fun making it into the financial aid office at the college. Sadly, this is not going to be my last trip there.

I actually learned a good bit tonight in class though. I'm taking a programming class and it's starting to make sense.

Anyway, I will be going to the gym first thing when I wake up. I may wash my car if I have time, but my top priority is making it into the gym.

I won't be doing my squat day this week. I'll be benching tomorrow, and I will be going heavy.

Goals:
Bench 5x5 @ 205
Incline Bench 3x8 @ 145
Romanian Deads: 4x5 @ 290
Good Mornings: 3x8 @ 185

I know this was supposed to be a deloading week, but I feel like I'll be fine to go balls to the wall tomorrow. That will only be one heavy workout for the week, which I think will be fine. I feel pretty refreshed from taking some time off anyways even though it was only 2 days.

I'm just too anxious to see if I can bench 205 @ 5x5. If I can, I'll be ecstatic.

kmrobins
01-18-2007, 02:52 AM
Nice lifts. Your light days put my heavy days to shame.

Chris686
01-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Nice lifts. Your light days put my heavy days to shame.

Maybe you'll be up there one day. Just gotta work hard and keep on eating. I used to be 155 pounds. Not quite as small as you, but significantly less body mass than I have now.

The key is hard work and food.

Anyways, due to a slight.... injury, I'll be out of the game for a few days. It's nothing career ending or anything, just a slight impedence of my progress.

If you want you can read about it here:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1587494#post1587494

It's a little gross.

Chris686
01-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Okay, well I'm thinking I'll be back in the gym tomorrow.

After this deloading week and my sidelining injury, I'm so anxious to be back in the gym. I'm even thinking of going to bed early just so I can be there in the morning!
I know you all don't know me, but that's VERY unusual for me. I usually sleep in until at least 11am when I'm off from work.

So... I'll be deadlifting tomorrow. Here are my goals:

Deadlift 4x3 @ 310
Pull Ups 5x5
Shoulder Press: 5x5 @ 115
...And I'm replacing lateral raises. I'm sick of them. I'm going to add another compound exercise in the place of them.

Let me think...

I will do some kind of row. I believe I will do either T-Bar rows, or a lying row.
I'll have to give it some more thought.

The gym actually has a T-Bar row machine... Well, it's not really a machine. It just holds the bar in that position, but still allows free movement. It's not too bad.

Chris686
01-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Deadlifts today.

Here's how it went:

Deadlifts:
2x3 @ 310; 2x1 @ 310 (PR)
First two sets were somewhat easy. I just couldn't get out the other reps afterwards though. Either way, I felt like this was a great workout. This was heavy as hell, and I got plenty of looks with all the weight stacked on the bar :) I'll have to try the same thing next week until I manage to get it before I move to 315 (3 PPS!!!!).
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 310

Pull Ups
5x5 @ BW (PR)
Took out the lat pulldowns. Replaced with pull ups. I do these the same as my pulldowns: palms facing away. I've always preferred doing them this way. The other way doesn't feel right.
These are what I was planning from the beginning of this split, but I did lat pulldowns for a short while to get my pulling strength up. This is the first time I've ever been able to do a 5x5 on pull ups. It felt great to do it after heavy deads. I, again, need to invest in a dip/pull up belt. Even an extra 2 1/2LB plate would be very beneficial.
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ BW

T-Bar Rows
3x8 @ 70
Decided to give the gym's T-Bar thing a try. I enjoyed it. I'll be doing these in place of raises for the time being. I feel like I need a row in my split pretty badly. I got a great workout from this. I'm not sure how this weight translates doing it from a straight barbell, but it felt heavy.
Next Week's Goal:3x8 @ 75

Standing Shoulder Press
3x5 @ 115
Couldn't finish. I wanted to do 5x5. I've been stuck for a while. I need to mix this up with something else, or perhaps adjust the way I do them. I'll have to think about it for a little bit, but I may change it over to dumbbells instead. Something has to be done. I don't want to get stuck.
Next Week's Goal: ???

Everything seems to be progressing nicely. The only thing I'm worried about is my shoulders. I need to decide what I'm going to do to get myself out of this plateau. I don't like being stagnant. If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them.

I may just remove the standing shoulder press altogether. I'm not making any progress. If I do that, I have to think of another compound exercise to take its place.

Chris686
01-24-2007, 09:46 PM
Exhausted today.

Had quite the long day, and I've only been home for a couple hours. I've pretty much been on the go since 5am.

I did make it into the gym this morning before work, but I didn't have a whole lot of time. The main thing I wanted to do was squats, and I did that as well as a little tricep work (But nothing major so I'm not even going to list it.)

Squats:
3x3 @ 245; 1x2 @ 250

Awesome job here. I'm surprised I did so well. I usually feel like crap in the morning, so the fact that I was able to lift this kind of weight at 5:30 in the morning was great.

Unfortunately, this was the only lift I had time to train. However, it's the only one I'm that concerned with on this day, so it's fine.
Next Week's Goal: 4x3 @ 250

That's all today. Short and sweet.
I've had like a 14-15 hour day and I'm tired. Going to bed.

Chris686
01-26-2007, 12:28 AM
OMG, my journal was sucked back to page 3 on the topic list!

Gym today:

Weigh in: 171LBs

Bench:
1x5 @ 200; 4x5 @ 205 (PR!)
This was fantastic. I'm lighter and stronger than ever before. I actually might have been able to get an extra set out too. I can't believe I'll be going for 210 next week!!
Next Week's Goal: 5x5 @ 210

Yeah, that's it. I'm kicking myself this week.
Time has been a huge issue up to this point. I don't know how I'm going to manage. I started school. That's really my top priority, but I hate not having so much free time to spend in the gym.

I can't say that this week has been all bad. I've hit a PR on deads, squats, and bench. That'd be a successful week for anyone. I'm just mad at myself for not practicing my other lifts as well. RDLs, GMs, extra tricep and bicep work, etc.

So here's what I'm going to do:
Saturday I'll be in the gym doing some extra work. I MAY be doing RDLs, but I'll have to wait to see what my work schedule is like next week. I'd hate to do them so close to deadlifts. If I can get two days rest I'll be doing RDLs as well with 290LBs.

Good mornings I will do for sure, as well as bicep and tricep work.

I will also hit the leg press.

So this is what it will look like:

Saturday:
Good Mornings: 3x8 @ 180LBs
Leg Press: 3x5 @ 390LBs (Extra since I won't be squatting beforehand)
Hammer Curls: 5x5 @ 55LBs (DBs)
Close grip bench: 3x5 (Not sure what weight I will use yet, but these will be replacing dips this week)

This will be a catch up day. I feel like I'm lagging behind in the gym. Short sessions are no good. I can't stand not getting in my whole split simply because time is against me.

Now here's the good news:
I've lost 4 pounds somehow, but I'm still feeling just as strong in the gym!
It's been all bodyfat weight. I can tell. I've still got a little pudge in the mid-section, but it's nearly all gone. I'm shocked. My abs are really quite defined. A little more fat loss, and I'll have a pretty wicked six pack. Well, not exactly wicked, but at least I'll be able to see them.

Chris686
01-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Time for the gym!
Again, this day is just to make up for those days I felt like I was lagging big time.

Today's Goals
Saturday:
Good Mornings: 3x8 @ 180LBs
Leg Press: 3x5 @ 390LBs (Extra since I won't be squatting beforehand)
Hammer Curls: 5x5 @ 55LBs (DBs)
Close grip bench: 3x5 (Not sure what weight I will use yet, but these will be replacing dips this week)

As far as doing RDLs, they won't get done today. I don't want to do them so close to DL day. I'd rather do DL's than RDL's, so that made the decision pretty easy. This still looks like it'll be a pretty solid day. Some leg work, and some arm work.

For my deadlifts, I'm going to do 4x3 @ 310 again. Now, I feel like I may be hitting a plateau, but I'm not sure. Perhaps my gains are just slowing a bit. If I do feel like I'm plateauing, I may adjust the rep range up to 5 reps for a short while in which case I'd probably drop the weight to 4x5 @ 300. Ouch, that sounds rough :evillaugh

Chris686
01-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Weigh in: 169LBs. :omg:

I swear, I'm not cutting! I blame it on the Nitor. I've been taking it twice a day.
However, I haven't lost a pound on my lifts, not one. I've actually got stronger.
Apparently the Nitor works wonders. I can usually take a thermo for energy and it has no effects on weight, but Nitor does. I'm not complaining though.

I must say, I think I look dead sexy in the mirror :thumbup:
Visually, and judging by the weight on the bar, I'd have to say that all of my recent weight loss has been fat. That makes me a pretty satisfied weightlifter.

Chris686
01-27-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, didn't feel like posting when I got home earlier, so here it is now:

Good Mornings:
2x8 @ 185; 1x8 @ 205 (PR!)
185 felt pretty light, so I figured why not and threw an extra 20LBs on there. It actually went pretty well. I did all eight reps. Now I'm at a loss for what to do next week. Up it to 210, or just do 205? Hrm.

I guess I'll just make it 205 for three sets.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 205

Hammer Curls:
1x5 @ 45; 1x3 @ 55; 2x5 @ 50
Goal was to try for 55's, but it was a little too heavy. Lowered it to 50 and finished up.

Close Grip Bench
1x8 @ 135; 3x5 @ 155
Had to do a little experimentation here. I'm sure I could go higher, but my pecs are still sore from benching the other day. Either way, the weight felt tough. Good workout here.
Next Week's Goal: 3x8 @ 150

Leg Press:
1x1 @ 360
Last time I'm ever doing the leg press. One rep and I felt a pain in both of my knees. I'm not sure if my form was off or what, but even if it was, it wasn't by much. I genuinely felt like I was brushing close with a knee injury here, and that's the last place I want an injury.
Never Again.

Chris686
02-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Whoa now, I'm letting my journal fall to the 4th page. Not good.

Anyways, it's not that I haven't been lifting, I just haven't been posting.

I'm heading to work now, so no time to post. I've got a few things to post when I get home tonight though.