PDA

View Full Version : How to get my greens in?

arnoldsclone
11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
I have always read that it's very important to get your greens in to be healthy, and that not getting in your greens can hinder your health in many ways. What are your favorite greens, and which ones are the most beneficial, and what are the easiest prepared ones, any of them tasty raw?

Unreal
11-28-2006, 02:03 PM
Brocolli and spinach would be to my favorite. Brocolli is good raw, so is spinach. Spinach can be added to shakes, and mixes in eggs really well. Stirfry with a mix of vegetables is also a great way to get protein and good veggies.

time2grown06
11-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Green beans may not be the most nutritious of the green veggies, but they are my favorite tasting....I like to take a can of green beans and simmer on low heat and add chopped onions, mushrooms, and a meat of your choice, such as bacon, ham, roast beef, etc...Let simmer til it all looks done, add salt and pepper to your liking, and enjoy.

ericg
11-28-2006, 03:00 PM
I like to make salads with spinach and brocolli all the time. Add in some tuna/chicken and some nuts and you are in. Ive also added some HB eggs, cukes, green beans, peas, etc.

getfit
11-28-2006, 03:00 PM
steamed broccoli,green beans add olive oil,salt,balsamic yum!

RedSpikeyThing
11-28-2006, 03:31 PM
Spinach, brocolli, green/red peppers, onions, etc. Make a salad, stir fry, steam, etc.

ShockBoxer
11-29-2006, 06:03 AM
I'm lazy. Multivitamin and fiber supplement.

RedSpikeyThing
11-29-2006, 09:54 AM
I'm lazy. Multivitamin and fiber supplement.

Which clearly contains all of the phytonutrients found in vegetables...

Anthony
11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
Broccoli and spinach are great raw or steamed.

Brussel sprouts are great steamed, not so great raw.

And of course, all of them have to be smothered in butter, cheese, or vinegar.

:D

arnoldsclone
11-29-2006, 01:31 PM
Broccoli and spinach are great raw or steamed.

Brussel sprouts are great steamed, not so great raw.

And of course, all of them have to be smothered in butter, cheese, or vinegar.

:D

awesome! yeah all of this has to be covered in something tasty! vinegar has no cals right?

ShockBoxer
11-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Which clearly contains all of the phytonutrients found in vegetables...

Probably not but since most vegtables are on my 'yellow list' (the reason they're not on the red 'avoid at all costs' list is because you need vitamins and minerals and such) and, as a result, I haven't eaten many all of my life - I figure that the multivitamin I've been taking for a few months daily is a lot better than the whole lot of nothing I had before.

RedSpikeyThing
11-29-2006, 04:17 PM
Probably not but since most vegtables are on my 'yellow list' (the reason they're not on the red 'avoid at all costs' list is because you need vitamins and minerals and such) and, as a result, I haven't eaten many all of my life - I figure that the multivitamin I've been taking for a few months daily is a lot better than the whole lot of nothing I had before.

What do you mean by "yello list"? Foods you don't like?

Also, yes it is a HELL of a lot better than nothing

Focused70
11-29-2006, 05:18 PM
collard greens
kale
Swiss chard
broccoli
cauliflower
broccoli rabe/rapini
brussel sprouts
cabbage
chicory
endive

the list goes on and on...

endive is best used in salads. broccoli and cauliflower you can consume raw, though I prefer them cooked. in fact, all of the above except for endive I cook in some fashion.

roasted brussel sprouts for the win. better than french fries.

http://static.flickr.com/85/241200803_5e5c59e0e9_o.jpg

clash
11-29-2006, 09:54 PM
lol....i seriously dont eat any vegetables and still do fine with my lifting

Travisimo
11-29-2006, 10:33 PM
lol....i seriously dont eat any vegetables and still do fine with my lifting
No one here is going to tell you not eating spinach will screw up your total. It will affect your long term health.
I like my veggies simple and in large amounts. I'll tear up a half head of lettuce and eat it raw out of a bowl. My girlfriend thinks I'm weird.

"Travis, what's that?
"A salad."
"That's not a salad, that's just lettuce."
"Okay. Lettuce."

piff
11-29-2006, 10:42 PM
roasted brussel sprouts for the win. better than french fries.

Dude, you've got to a post about how to make those in the recipe forum. I've been meaning to work brussel sprouts into my diet for some time and those looks delicious

I really need more variety in the vegetables I eat but I put raw spinach on all my sandwiches / wraps. I'll usually cook up broccoli or asparagus for dinner

D Breyer
11-29-2006, 10:54 PM
Soba, do you prepare all of the "food pr0n" you post? just curious...

Focused70
11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Soba, do you prepare all of the "food pr0n" you post? just curious...

some, not all. lol.

in the case of the brussel sprouts, I had those for dinner a couple of months ago.

it's easy: trim and slice brussel sprouts in half; toss with extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper in a baking dish; roast in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes to one hour; top with chopped herbs.

So easy, even Anthony can do it. :ninja:

Anthony
11-30-2006, 05:40 AM
some, not all. lol.

in the case of the brussel sprouts, I had those for dinner a couple of months ago.

it's easy: trim and slice brussel sprouts in half; toss with extra-virgin olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper in a baking dish; roast in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes to one hour; top with chopped herbs.

So easy, even Anthony can do it. :ninja:

And I'm damn sure going to try, too!! That sounds awesome, thanks for the tip!

ShockBoxer
11-30-2006, 07:16 AM
What do you mean by "yello list"? Foods you don't like?

Also, yes it is a HELL of a lot better than nothing

Things that I have to eat with caution to prevent excruciatingly painful bowel spasms due to IBS with severe complications

Full list:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82494

I typically just don't eat them at all or eat them as infrequently as I eat the foods on my red list (heh... often together for extra 'I want to die' fun. In for a penny....).

arnoldsclone
11-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Things that I have to eat with caution to prevent excruciatingly painful bowel spasms due to IBS with severe complications

Full list:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=82494

I typically just don't eat them at all or eat them as infrequently as I eat the foods on my red list (heh... often together for extra 'I want to die' fun. In for a penny....).

you have a hell of a lot of problems physically man!
i can't wait to eat some greens when i get paid on friday!!

ShockBoxer
11-30-2006, 10:22 AM
you have a hell of a lot of problems physically man!
i can't wait to eat some greens when i get paid on friday!!

They're not unrelated: I was damaged in the womb by an exceptionally rough pregnancy. Nothing to be done about that, though, so onwards I press.

Beast
11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Hey Stash, how much of these ingredients do you use?

Focused70
11-30-2006, 02:57 PM

ugh, recipe measurements.

I'll post it in the recipe forum then.

RedSpikeyThing
11-30-2006, 05:04 PM

Not to be sarcastic, but "some". I would say lightly cover them in oil and sprinkle some salt and pepper on them. It's not science ;)

arnoldsclone
11-30-2006, 05:30 PM
They're not unrelated: I was damaged in the womb by an exceptionally rough pregnancy. Nothing to be done about that, though, so onwards I press.

sorry ot hear that man