PDA

View Full Version : New in more ways than one. :)

Nikkiwomang
11-29-2006, 08:50 AM
I have been working out for the past 10 months and have slowly built up to my workout program that I am on right now. I always have lots of questions and I hope this is the right place. Please be nice, I'm new to all of this, I have never worked out in all my life so this is all new to me.

Ok I've got questions:

1. Can you jog too much? I started jogging everyday.

2. Can you work out too much? I curcuit train and jog a mile mon-fri, Sat and Sun I weight lift and jog two miles. I heard you need to give your muscles a rest but I feel bad if I don't work out.

3. I like jogging at the track after my gym workout, how do I not get sick. What is the proper jogging attire during the winter? Also I've heard to make sure and wear sweats as to not cramp up your muscles, is this why my calve muscles freaked the **** out the other night? They got really tight and I had to stop.

4. Anybody ever done curcuit training work outs or is it just for girls?

Anthony
11-29-2006, 09:35 AM
1. Can you jog too much? I started jogging everyday.
Yes, you can jog too much. Unless you're a marathon runner (I'm guessing you're not), I would say every day is too much. Hell, I'd say every day is too much EVEN IF you were a marathon runner.

2. Can you work out too much? I curcuit train and jog a mile mon-fri, Sat and Sun I weight lift and jog two miles. I heard you need to give your muscles a rest but I feel bad if I don't work out.
Yes, you can workout too much. Some people might get away with the routine you listed, but 99.9999999% of people will NOT. Eventually you'll start to lose strength, speed, stamina and/or get injured. More is NOT better.

3. I like jogging at the track after my gym workout, how do I not get sick.
Do you usually get sick?

What is the proper jogging attire during the winter?
Dress in layers.

Also I've heard to make sure and wear sweats as to not cramp up your muscles, is this why my calve muscles freaked the **** out the other night? They got really tight and I had to stop.
Quite possible. Or you might have been dehydrated.

4. Anybody ever done curcuit training work outs or is it just for girls?
Some of what I do may be considered "circuit" but it's probably very different than what most people call "circuit." So no, it's not just for girls.

Nikkiwomang
11-29-2006, 10:24 AM
hhhhmmm ok thanks for the advice. And come to think of it I have not gotten sick since I've started eating healthy and working out. YAY *knocks on wood*

Also wanted advice on if it is too much, then how much of a break should i give my body? With my regimen as it is.

ericg
11-29-2006, 10:37 AM
Do you have set goals in mind?

Anthony
11-29-2006, 10:40 AM
It really depends on your work capacity. I know some people who train 5-6 days a week, 2-3 times per day. But they are elite athletes that are more machine than human.

For the rest of us, 4-6 days per week is PLENTY.

What are your goals?

Unreal
11-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Welcome. You may want to check out Anthony's journal to see some quality "circuit" training. As for your questions, he answered them all spot on just like always. As you will find out there are some great people here. Check out everything Built has posted and written, and you'll be way ahead of most girls.

Went to Los Cuates Friday, mmmm. Had 3 sopapillas, queso, and a combo plate with red and green. Yummy.

Nikkiwomang
11-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Welcome. You may want to check out Anthony's journal to see some quality "circuit" training. As for your questions, he answered them all spot on just like always. As you will find out there are some great people here. Check out everything Built has posted and written, and you'll be way ahead of most girls.

Went to Los Cuates Friday, mmmm. Had 3 sopapillas, queso, and a combo plate with red and green. Yummy.

They have a Los Quates in Friggin UTAH?!?!?! LOL I wish I could eat that kinna food but I'm not allowed, only on special occasions.

My goals are to just get healthy and be able to keep up with my friends. Losing weight is an awesome idea but not my ultimate goal. So far I have been doing ok. Lost 50 pounds and feel great. I couldn't even jog when I first started and had many aches and pains but I worked through them and I am proud of where I am. My goal in the beginning was to make a lifestyle change, so far so good. I don't get bored because I like to change it up. Oh yeah I forgot another goal is to get into rock climbing. I am trying to get in shape to be more active. I dont want to try these things when I am not ready then get discouraged so for now I think strength and stamina is a huge goal for me at this time.

BTW I absolutely love jogging. It is therapuetic for me. I don't ever think I will stop doing that.

HAH I know who you are now. RSW :thumbup:

Unreal
11-29-2006, 01:50 PM
I was in ABQ for the Holiday.

Nikki is a dedicated girl that has made great progress. Treat her well guys.

Hazerboy
11-29-2006, 02:20 PM
Jogging everyday is fine as you do two things: First, vary your intensity. This means while you may jog 6 times a week, only 2 or 3 are really intense jogging sessions. The rest you're just getting in a quick mile or whatever is pretty easy for you.Second make sure you do take days off every once and awhile, either once/twice a week or once/twice every two weeks. How often you train and how often you train hard really depend on the person though. Try both and see what works best for you, just keep the above in mind.

As far as lifting weights, you're going to model your routine on what your goals are. Note that you're not nescessarily going to get huge or gross looking just because you lift heavy or use free weights versus machines/circuit trainings (bunny programs). Built, a female frequent of the board, trains with heavy and with intensity and has gotten some great results--I'd hit her up to see what kinds of benefits heavy resistant training can have from a girl's perspective.

Everyone has their own level of fitness, however. If your goals are just rockclimbing then you're going to want a strong upper body (think lots of pull-ups) with the legs of a chicken. Weight training can certainly help with this, but usually the best way to get better at a sport is by simply playing the sport more, or in your case, climbing more.

OneBadUnit
11-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Congratz on the 50lb loss so far !!!!! Keep up the great work ! Welcome to the boards; definitely the right place to find the answers you need.

Keep a journal once you have your routine planned out. Look forward to seeing your progress.