PDA

View Full Version : If Milk + Protein = cramps...

Altephor
11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
Would water + protein be better? I know Milk slows down absorption, so if it's causing cramps/diarrhea wouldn't the water be worse because it will run through my system faster? Or would it be better because it would all be absorbed much more quickly?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2006, 09:14 AM
You're probably lactose intolerant. Have you considered supplementing with the lactase enzyme?

EvanH
11-29-2006, 11:31 AM
I am lactose intolerant. I get bad cramps and the *****s if I don't take my pills. I take Lactaid Fast Act, not too expensive.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Then use water or keep using milk + lactase. What type of protein is it?

Davidelmo
11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Use a protein blend with whey and casein. Same effect but you shouldn't react to the casein protein.

Altephor
11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
I'm not lactose intolerant though, I drink plenty of Milk, I love it. That's mostly what was confusing me. I go through a gallon of whole milk in about 3-4 days.

Although I do sometimes get the same symptoms if I eat ice cream. Strange.

PGreezy
11-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Im not lactose intolerant either but when I was drinking a gallon of milk every other day it was messin my stomach up something fierce. I just cut down on it and all is good. I dont drink as much of my protein anymore either, I try to eat chicken breast and get most of my protein from real food.

piff
11-29-2006, 10:36 PM
I'm not lactose intolerant but I don't mix milk with my protein because it usually upsets my stomach, too. I think the blender 'whips' the milk a little too much and thus I get bloated (with the accompanying burps and gas). If you're going to use milk, maybe just try mixing it with a spoon or something

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I'm not lactose intolerant though, I drink plenty of Milk, I love it. That's mostly what was confusing me. I go through a gallon of whole milk in about 3-4 days.

Although I do sometimes get the same symptoms if I eat ice cream. Strange.Have you actually been tested for lactose intolerance?

Altephor
11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
No I have not, but I have dairy all the time; milk, cheese, yogurt, etc. Only the protein in milk gives me problems. Ice cream, sometimes.

BFGUITAR
11-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Cheese and yogurt wont affect a lactose intolerant person very much at all. There are bacteria in them that help with digestion, so ive heard.

Altephor
11-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Cheese and yogurt wont affect a lactose intolerant person very much at all. There are bacteria in them that help with digestion, so ive heard.

Well even so I drink whole milk like water. But I tried the protein with water today I'll try that for a few days and see if it bothers me. If it doesn't I'll try lactaid milk.

Altephor
11-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Water did nothing to help. Still cramping and get the poops.. so it has to be the powder itself. I've tried two different brands so far and it didn't help.

Looks like I'm out of luck with protein shakes.

teaturtle
11-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Have you actually been tested for lactose intolerance?

there is an actual test? if so where/how can i get i done?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Go see an allergist. I'm pretty sure they do tests. And while you're doing that, they can find any other possible things you're allergic to.

teaturtle
11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
awsome, does it have to be serious to check w/ one or can it just be out of curiosity/suspicions

Turnip
12-01-2006, 01:51 AM
How do these pills work, do you just take one every morning and it lasts the whole day? Or do you got to take one every time you drink milk.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-01-2006, 10:59 AM
^^

You take them every time you have dairy.