PDA

View Full Version : Muscle Milk

Rock Steady
11-29-2006, 01:05 PM
Hello gang,

I was just interested to hear from anyone who has used this product in the past or uses it currently. It seems to be a good fit for me during off days to increase fat intake/lower carb intake.

Nutrition facts (high level):
Cals: 350
Fat: 18g
Carbs: 12g
Protein: 32g

Currently, in addition to meals and regular milk, I have two Detour Oat bars at the office each day. At 58g of carbs each (12g fat, 30g protein), this seems to be too many carbs for non-lifting days. Is Muscle Milk a good choice as a replacement for at least one of these bars on off days? I am currently bulking, and realize that carbs are critical. On 'bar days' I'll end up at about 45-50% carb calories and on 'muscle milk days' I'll end up at about 40%.

I've tried it before in RTD form and it tastes incredible.

Thanks for any feedback!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
It tastes great and also gives me the worst stomach aches on planet earth. It tastes like cake mix or something. I always used to get the Cookies N' Cream flavor, but the stomach aches outweigh the taste.

At 58g of carbs each (12g fat, 30g protein), this seems to be too many carbs for non-lifting days.What do you mean by that, exactly? What does your diet look like? (grams of carbs, fat, protein, and total calories)

If it's working for you, keep taking it. It's expensive though.

Rock Steady
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
What do you mean by that, exactly? What does your diet look like? (grams of carbs, fat, protein, and total calories)

If it's working for you, keep taking it. It's expensive though.

Thanks for the heads up on the stomach aches - I'll be careful.

I was just referring to the caloric breakdown of a Detour Oat bar. Basically, my breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime don't typically vary much in their composition:

Breakfast: high carb, low fat, high whey protein
Lunch: medium carb, low fat, high protein
Dinner: low carb, medium/high fat, high protein
Bed: low carb, high fat, high casein protein

... with those meals typically being constant, my main variance is in my mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks. Switching between Detour Oat bars and Muscle Milk on lifting/off days seemed like a reasonable 'switch' to use to encourage hypertrophy but minimize fat gain.

My typical breakdown as of late has been (on 4000 cals):
25%-30% fat
40%-45% carbs
30%-35% protein

I agree it's expensive, but I just found some for $15 for the 2.48lb size. Shipping was a bit high at like $3/container but not bad I thought.

Thanks for your input.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2006, 01:25 PM
You might want to try this: http://atlargenutrition.com/nutrition_detail.php?products_id=1

25%-30% fat
40%-45% carbs
30%-35% proteinYou should ignore percentages and follow these guideline minimums:

1g protein per pound of LBM
.5g of fat per pound of LBM (try to get a lot of EFAs)

The rest can come from carbs, protein, or fat to meet your caloric needs (in your case being 4,000 calories).

Rock Steady
11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks man.

When you asked the question of what things looked like, I thought you meant percentages! Generally, I have followed the guidelines you mentioned and come in around 80-110g of fat (high EFAs) and 200-300g of protein. The protein is high by that measure, but not by much. I typically get higher amounts of fat on off days, which I thought wasn't such a bad idea? (rather than more carbs - mainly by eliminating my post workout carb/protein shake)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-29-2006, 01:51 PM
Ok...well...looks like you're doing just fine. :thumbup:

Rock Steady
11-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Ok...well...looks like you're doing just fine. :thumbup:

Good to hear. I enjoy your posts and the fact that you tell it like it is! Keep it up man.

russianwol
11-29-2006, 01:58 PM
I personally like the chocolate variety - use it when on the run and don't have any other source of food. Works wonders.

235orbust
11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
idk i hate the taste of it, way too sweet for me

reloaded
11-29-2006, 08:23 PM
If it fits in with your diet, by all means, use it.

galileo
11-29-2006, 08:26 PM
1. I love muscle milk's taste
2. The fats in it aren't that bad.
3. If you fit it into your caloric needs for the day, it's a nice treat.
4. I'm very lactose interolant and it has never given me a stomach ache. I mix it with low-carb (Was Carb Countdown, now Calorie Countdown) milk by Hood.

Rock Steady
12-06-2006, 02:57 PM
I bought 4 2.48 lbs containers at $14.50 each and they arrived yesterday. It tastes SO GOOD!

Altephor
12-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I love the taste, but all protein shakes give me bad stomach aches, no matter what I mix them with or add to them.

FREAKZILLA
12-06-2006, 04:12 PM
It tastes great and also gives me the worst stomach aches on planet earth.

I bought a 4 pack of the mocha and I had horrible stomach aches as well. I still wonder what was causing them. I drink/eat dairy on a regular basis and am fine, but muscle milk really did a number on my stomach.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-06-2006, 04:41 PM
^^

It's probably the artificial sweeteners or the many other fun ingredients in it that's to blame. There's something in it that kills my stomach.

arnoldsclone
12-06-2006, 05:04 PM
muscle milk is by far the best protein shake i've ever had in my life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

FREAKZILLA
12-06-2006, 07:45 PM
^^

It's probably the artificial sweeteners or the many other fun ingredients in it that's to blame. There's something in it that kills my stomach.

Probally the "fun" ingredients. I use artificial sweetner in my oats and it does nothing to my stomach. I will stick with ON, it tastes just as great but without the fuss.

Stumprrp
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
my friend used muscle milk with great success along with the rest of his bulking diet, to bad he had to cut short due to work and a back injury.

i like muscle milks breakdown, everything is very good, and the taste is unreal!

Rock Steady
12-06-2006, 09:19 PM
I will stick with ON, it tastes just as great but without the fuss.

As the starter of the thread and someone who is drinking some ON as I type this, I can't see how you can compare the flavor of the two. ON does taste decent, maybe even good, but Muscle Milk is a solid 2-3 notches above.

That said, I can see why people would make ON their casein choice due to the reported stomach problems with MM. I'm curious to see how my stomach deals with it. There are 4 types of shakes I consume, so I won't consume MM as often as the 'full timers.' Maybe 5-7 times a week.

Jeffreyk
12-07-2006, 12:20 PM
It taste FAB!!! So does pizza and chinese buffet....IMHO it's compelte junk and it's the fats making your stomach quizzy....god only knows what truly in there, so I'd advise making your own.....oats, pb and a nice blend.....

bmyx2002
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I bought 4 2.48 lbs containers at $14.50 each and they arrived yesterday. It tastes SO GOOD!

Where did you get it so cheap?

I can't find it for less than 17.50 on the web.

bmyx2002
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
^^

Scarz,

You seem to be a nutrient guru.

I'm looking at a Muscle Milk RTD ingrediets now. I usually drink the powder mix, but guessing it's got the same stuff.

The following worried me:
Crystalline Fructose - I read the liver process so much fructose, than it starts to store the stuff as fat. Fructose was created artificially and is a major ingrediet in junk food (sodas, sugary drinks, etc.). So does this crystalline fructose fall into the same category?

If so, it's probably not great for lifters.

Maltodextrine - does this stuff screw up your fat storage like fructose?

Jeffreyk
01-31-2007, 06:31 AM
It should scare you....MM is gar-bage

Rock Steady
01-31-2007, 01:05 PM
Where did you get it so cheap?

I can't find it for less than 17.50 on the web.

Massnutrition.com - the more you order the lower shipping costs are per container. I'm not sure if the price is still that low. Good luck.

PoutineEh
01-31-2007, 04:58 PM
i mix a scoop of muscle milk with a scoop of nitrean and have that for lunch along with a bagel + natty almond butter :) holds me over till dinner. muscle milk tastes very good.
i recently bought a friend for x-mas the chocolate caramel swirl, and he said it was amazing... i didnt try it, but my 2 favorites are chocolate and banana creme :)
yum.

PoutineEh
01-31-2007, 05:04 PM
anyone try that horchata flavor? im curious if its good. sounds like its an almond or rice flavor... wikipedia says its a name for a few different vegetable beverages

The Champion
01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
I've been using Muscle Milk for almost three months now and I've never had any problem with it whatsoever. In fact I love it and swear by it. Taste is great, it's worked great for me, its a solid tried and proven prodcut.

Ritzol
02-01-2007, 08:13 AM
this stuff is awesome. Not very filling though and basically a meal in and of itself.