PDA

View Full Version : Wrist Wraps

mcquinn9498
11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
was doing dead lifts today and have one hand that feels as if it asleep.
It has been 6 hours and it still feels asleep.

1. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

2. Wondering when or if this will stop?

3. I will take any advice or thoughts on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

BroGain
11-29-2006, 03:58 PM
That sounds serious. If it were me I'd see a doctor.

waynedang
11-29-2006, 04:27 PM
Is it the whole hand or certain fingers? Like bottom three, middle two?

mcquinn9498
11-29-2006, 06:24 PM
It is the top of the hand between the index finger and the thumb

Rusty
11-29-2006, 07:53 PM
Pinched nerve? I would see a doctor if it doesn't start getting better.

KY23
11-29-2006, 08:09 PM
Were you removing your wrist wraps between each set? If you cut the circulation off for long enough you can cause some damage. How long do you keep the wrist wraps on?

waynedang
11-29-2006, 08:51 PM
Pinched nerve? I would see a doctor if it doesn't start getting better.

Thats what I would say. I have had this in the past. I had my last three fingers numb for a long time. I had an impinment(sp) in my upper neck. This was causing the numbness and my left lower trap felt like it was in a ball all the time. I lived this way for a few years :bang: . Go see a DR. or a chiro.

Guido
11-30-2006, 09:36 AM
Why were you using wrist wraps on deadlift? Just wondering, because I've seen other people do it but I fail to understand the purpose or potential advantage of it, other than potential pain and lost feeling.

Progress
11-30-2006, 04:05 PM
What does asleep mean? Numb or pins and needles?

bloodninja
11-30-2006, 04:52 PM
Why were you using wrist wraps on deadlift? Just wondering, because I've seen other people do it but I fail to understand the purpose or potential advantage of it, other than potential pain and lost feeling.

I have to use them for heavy rows and deadlifts because the bones in my wrist shift around and pop. It's not a big deal, but annoying when it happens.

Guido
12-01-2006, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't think it would be worth the numbness if otherwise you wouldn't feel pain. I'd take annoyance over pain or numbness any day!

Sensei
12-01-2006, 08:49 AM
I just assumed that the OP meant wrist straps, not wraps...

ShockBoxer
12-01-2006, 10:48 AM
I loosen my straps between sets and after a heavy enough last set I practically tear them off and chuck them. I've gone numb before but it always passes within seconds of putting the bar down. If it's been six hours I'd be concerned...

Nik00117
12-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I agree 6 hours seems serious...

Sure i've had it to where I can't feel my hand for a minute at maxium but feeling comes back quickly.

bloodninja
12-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't think it would be worth the numbness if otherwise you wouldn't feel pain. I'd take annoyance over pain or numbness any day!

I don't put them on that tight, and pull them off between sets...so I don't get any of the numbness.

Elbutcho
12-27-2006, 12:46 PM

You can get a better grip when using wrist wraps (not straps) IMO.

Sleepy Guy
12-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Sound like you need some chalk. Chalk sovles all.

deeder
12-27-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't understand how but some people think that wrist wraps (not straps!) help with grip strength.

Something similar to what the OP described is frequently noted by people who have been arrested and had handcuffs put on really tight. If I remember correctly it's just a pinched nerve in your wrist kind of along the side where your thumb is.

I'd give it a day or two to see if it goes away/gets better. If it doesn't I'd see a doc. Although it could be very different than what I'm thinking of. You may want to see a doc soon just to check it out.

Chris686
12-27-2006, 07:20 PM

I use them sometimes because on occasion heavy deadlifts will kill my grip after a few sets.
I don't use them unless I have to, but they do help me get a couple extra reps which outweighs the consequences in my opinion. I'd rather use them and continue lifting heavy then lowering the weight so I can do more reps.

It's only my left hand that dies though, so I really only use one. I usually use them after I finish deads too because my grip doesn't really recover.

Fuzzy
12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
You cant say wirst straps wont help.

When I DL 440 I nearly dropped the damn bar, but my my back and body easily took the weight.

Now, I know I should work on my grip, but whats the point in not allowing the target muscles to really be worked. Im all for using straps and hooks to make it easier to move bigger weights, so that the target muscles really get hit, and you dont have to stop because of wrist fatuige.

Im confident Id easily be able to pull 500+ with the straps, but I simply cant hold it.

ill be investing in the 1-ton hooks, or just some good old figure 8 loops.

As for wrpas... like the knee wraps... I dont need them Im young and have plenty of cartlidge left to gradually wear away. :)

Sidior
12-28-2006, 12:18 AM
I use them sometimes because on occasion heavy deadlifts will kill my grip after a few sets.
I don't use them unless I have to, but they do help me get a couple extra reps which outweighs the consequences in my opinion. I'd rather use them and continue lifting heavy then lowering the weight so I can do more reps.

It's only my left hand that dies though, so I really only use one. I usually use them after I finish deads too because my grip doesn't really recover.

wrist wraps and wrist straps are different!!!!!!!

Elbutcho
12-28-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't understand how but some people think that wrist wraps (not straps!) help with grip strength

They always helped my grip and almost all of the lifters at meets that I lifted at used them when deadlifting also................YMMV.

deeder
12-28-2006, 01:28 PM
They always helped my grip and almost all of the lifters at meets that I lifted at used them when deadlifting also................YMMV.

I wasn't debating that they helped.. I just don't understand HOW they help...

What's YMMV?

Elbutcho
12-28-2006, 02:26 PM
I wasn't debating that they helped.. I just don't understand HOW they help...

What's YMMV?

I don't know how it works it just helps me grip the bar better........or maybe I did it because everyone else was doing it................:alcoholic

YMMV = Your mileage may vary.