PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Meals!

WORLD
11-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Hey everyone..
So this is my weakest link in my training and from what Iv'e seen, it is for a lot of people. Eating.

What I want to get out of this thread is this: What techniques, or methods does everyone use to plan their meals. Now in order to get in at least 6 proper meals per day, there must be some sort of routine and planning involved.
Most of us are busy during the day, and when we get home, we either train, and/or spend time doing whatever else we do...How do you people(the ones who are great meal planners) do it?

It's easy to say, "just cook the night before", but it isn't that easy. Do you have certain types of cooked meats in your fridge/freezer? Do you depend on frozen veggies for your fibre? Do you cook a whole lot of potatoes or chicken early on in the week and leave them in your fridge? What are some methods that you have noticed to be successful?

I can never prepare enough food on a regular basis, and I often find myself running to buy some sort of fast food to keep up with my calories.

Thanks in advance everyone for your replies....Im going to cook.

Keith
11-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Good thread, I think the even bigger question for me at least, is finding it in myself and the time to cook a $hit load before hand. I try, but fail to keep myself consistant when it comes to diet. Training, sure, that's the easy and fun part, but it always comes down to diet. Maybe something to add to this, what makes you get up time after time, and cook consistantly knowing your not going to miss a meal?

RedSpikeyThing
11-30-2006, 07:50 AM
Big batches are the key. You can basically make enough food for a week on sunday afternoon (or whatever day is best for you). There is a killer recipe for burritos (http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=86046) in the recipe section. I like to make a big batch of tuna (5 cans or so) once a week. It'll last me as many days as there are cans I make. I also eat a LOT of peanuts, sunflower seeds and raisins. They're tasty, cheap and don't need any preperation.

I like to do the whole chicken thing. Lasts a couple of meals, it's cheap and you could even make 2 or 3 at a time. Hell, grab a turkey on sale. That should last you a really long time.

As for other resources, check out The sunday ritual (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=15892D0828094CA450907AC8D4F42254.hydra?id=815787) by John Berardi. This guy is a practical nutrition God. I spent an entire day at work reading his articles!

Unreal
11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Cook a huge thing of brown rice. Cook 8-10 chicken breast at a time. Always have access to nuts or jerky. I keep a can of nuts at work, and in my car. Cooking is alot easier then people seem to think. You can put a chicken or piece of meat in the oven. It may take 5 minutes to prep, then you can shower, get ready, or do whatever you want for 30-40 minutes while it cooks.

ddegroff
11-30-2006, 09:37 AM
I leave my house at 7:15am and usually don't return till 12hrs later. With in that time I usually workout, go to class and work. I live off of nuts, protein shakes, and Amazing protein bars (from this site).

I usually cook big batches of brown rice, chicken, beef, fish or whatever. After it's done cooking i split it up into the portions I want (in tupperware). Then I can grab what I need and when I need it. Just double and triple recipes. It really isn't that hard once you get into a routine.

reloaded
11-30-2006, 11:05 AM
I like to use easy to prepare meals for my diets when planned. This includes canned chicken, steamed veggies, bagged nuts, wheat tortillas, good cheese, and the obvious protein shake with milk and oatmeal. Just pop in the microwave or blender.

Keith
12-04-2006, 10:23 PM
A great book I just purchased from amazon.ca is "Scrawny to Brawny". The best motivation I've ever had to keep my mind on my diet by far. This book outlines everything from training to diet for the ectomorph. If this is your body type, I very highly recommend this book.

WildJames
12-04-2006, 10:56 PM
It's also all about practice! Find out what foods you really like, and what work really well for you, and make them staples to your diet. I'm a plain kind of guy, and can eat the same things week after week without going crazy. I will buy a family sized package of chicken breasts and cook them all off, noting the size of the package and doing the math for my fitday. I'll cook off an entire box of multigrain pasta or brown rice, along with some broccoli or whatever other veggies I fancy, and seperate them evenly together into containers. I always carry my easy to eat foods in the car with me, as I am gone for long periods at a time sometimes (work + school). Nuts/Nitrean/Fruit/etc. I also work at a restaurant that I can eat for free in, so I get all the fresh chicken breasts I want, which is nice. Just see what works best for you, and keep the routine up! Also, carrying around a gallon jug of water is a great idea if you're able to. Work on finishing it every day and then some, and you'll be set!

RedSpikeyThing
12-05-2006, 08:26 PM
A great book I just purchased from amazon.ca is "Scrawny to Brawny". The best motivation I've ever had to keep my mind on my diet by far. This book outlines everything from training to diet for the ectomorph. If this is your body type, I very highly recommend this book.

That is a great book! I would have bought it except nearly all of the information in it is available in Berardi's various articles on T-nation.

I also highly recommend it!

WORLD
12-06-2006, 05:10 AM
This Berardi guy is knowledgeble. His book actually seems like a really good read. Thanks to RedSpikeyThing for recommending the author.

I cooked for a good three hours on Sunday with the help of my training partner. I prepared whole meals, packaged them in tuperware and stored them in the fridge/freezer. Its Wednesday and Im almost out. I guess maybe this meal preparing can be done twice a week.
But this statement is really true when it comes to nutrition: "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

RedSpikeyThing
12-06-2006, 09:30 AM
I cooked for a good three hours on Sunday with the help of my training partner. I prepared whole meals, packaged them in tuperware and stored them in the fridge/freezer. Its Wednesday and Im almost out. I guess maybe this meal preparing can be done twice a week.
But this statement is really true when it comes to nutrition: "Failing to plan is planning to fail."

You are a better man than I! I kind of wing it lol

Also, that is a very sig-worthy quote.

ddegroff
12-06-2006, 09:06 PM

Very good point.

I usually cook twice. That way it changes up half way through the week.

WORLD
12-07-2006, 08:25 AM
You are a better man than I! I kind of wing it lol

Also, that is a very sig-worthy quote.

Haha I think your right. In it goes!

And ddegroff, I think cooking every Wednesday and Sunday would be good. That way you also dont have to buy a new fridge too.