PDA

View Full Version : I Look Angry Because I am Angry

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

WillKuenzel
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
So begins my journey to the Realization of Elite.

I never thought I would start another journal, but here it is. My last journal was about getting serious. This time I am from the start. The name applies to my accomplishment of elite status according to the APF powerlifting standard.

Now I could give a flaming baboon's ass about your thoughts on powerlifting gear and its destruction of the sport. I do it because its fun. I don't care that some federation has a guy smaller and stronger than me. Powerlifting is about me and out performing my old personal bests. I like the APF because I can lift in equipment that I like to use. I tried different types and this is what I'm sticking with.

I'm going to do what I want and to hell with you, thank you very much.

My goals, as stated earlier, include totaling elite in either the 220 or 242lbs weight class. Preferably 242 if you really want to know. I'm sitting at 218lbs right now. I need to get much much stronger so that'll probably mean getting a little bigger which I'm happy with.

My current total is 1420. I squatted 495 in briefs and suit with knee wraps, benched 400 in a double ply poly and deadlifted 525 in my squat suit. Well, you're probably think that this ******* won't ever total elite with a pathetic total like that. All the gear he had and he couldn't do better than that. I would have thought that too but I'm now doubling 495 in just briefs off a low box. Other things are much stronger but everything still needs work.

I may have high goals but like the saying goes, "What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?" Failure is when they spread my ashes over the ocean. Until then its an experience. A character building experience because we all know that none of us have enough character.

Focused70
11-30-2006, 03:44 PM
*sprays :spam: aerosol in Will's journal*

Sidior
11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Glad to see you are going to start posting in here again bro. Following your earlier journal is one of the main reason I jumped onto the powerlifting ship a few months ago.

KevinStarke
11-30-2006, 05:10 PM
Looking foward to seeing your workouts man.

bill
11-30-2006, 05:25 PM
Will best to you, what numbers do you need to elite? Is there better equipment that you can use? Just asking about the equip.
What you can believe you can conceive (sp?) LOL
Smash some wts

WillKuenzel
11-30-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try not to disappoint.

Bill, here is the website for APF elite numbers across the board:
http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com/Qualifying%20Rankings.htm

Right now, I'm using the Metal Ace Briefs. I have a Metal Pro Squatter. I just plan on using the squat suit for my deadlift as well. I don't have a bench shirt. At the meet I was borrowing a good friend's. I plan on getting the same shirt he has. It was a Metal double ply poly. Good shirt. Probably the only thing I can get better is a different squat suit and some good knee wraps. My biggest thing is getting under and training with heavier weight. Physically I can handle much more, especially equiped but mentally I'm just not prepared.

galileo
11-30-2006, 05:47 PM
1337 w111 in da house, or some ****.

Good luck man. If anyone can do it, you can.

Beast
11-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Are you going to claim elite status personally or can you only claim that if you've set those numbers in a meet?

Bohizzle
11-30-2006, 06:54 PM
good **** man, i was wondering if u still worked out :D, when are u planning to hit it?

Andrew

Chubrock
11-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey Will, there's an APF meet January 27th in Clayton, NC. That will be my first meet, though I'll be lifting raw in it. You ought to come on and compete.

Anthony
12-01-2006, 05:31 AM
Good luck Will!

WillKuenzel
12-01-2006, 05:34 AM
Gal: LOL, thanks, man!

Beast: I'd like to just go ahead and claim it but no, I'm talking about getting elite in a meet.

Andrew: I've been working out, just not recording it. I don't plan on hitting elite until the end of the year. That's my goal at least. It might not happening but I'm going to do the best I can to get there.

Andrew2: Might be interesting to try. I'll have to see what I can do. Thanks for the heads up!

Anthony: Thanks!

Bob
12-01-2006, 10:44 AM
Your last journal HY was awesome.. and I anticipate this one will be just as great..

Good luck with your elite status.. I would love to hit that too.. although in a different leaque and without equip... but age may be my limit.

You are right.. there is too much crap talking out there about Raw vs. Equip!!! Do what you want to do!! It's America (and other democracies).. freedom of choice. We all have a right to choose.

Sensei
12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Glad you're back. Where you been?

Isaac Wilkins
12-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Right on, Homie.

I'll be right behind you in the search, but it'll be as a 275.

WillKuenzel
12-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Bearwolf: Don't let age be an excuse. The elite status changes through the different master's divisions, so it should be attainable regardless.

Sensei: I've just not been posting. I've been here but things have recently come to light that made me hesitant in posting. I'm back to getting my workouts back up though.

Isaac: That's what I like to hear! You sure you don't want to do it as a 308 though? ;)

12/1/06
DE upper:

flat bench:
barx10
95x5
135x3
135+DLx3 (2 sets, wide and medium grip)
165+DLx3 (3 sets, CG, WG, MG)
195+DLx3 CG only
245x2 CG
285x2 CG
325x1 CG
325x1+1assisted CG

I'm of the mentality now that less is more. I need to get my bodyweight up. Accessory work will start to come back soon.

Chubrock
12-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Strong session Will. Very impressive. Not sure what things have come to light, but I hope things are alright.

Bohizzle
12-01-2006, 06:52 PM
:withstupi hope everything's ok with u.

Andrew

Isaac Wilkins
12-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Isaac: That's what I like to hear! You sure you don't want to do it as a 308 though? ;)

:cry:

Stumprrp
12-02-2006, 08:09 AM
strong close grip will wheres the grip at?

KevinStarke
12-02-2006, 09:39 AM
Real strong closegrips man

JustinASU
12-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey bro. It's been far too long since I've heard from you. How's life treating you? Shoot me a PM or a phone call.

Hey, Elite is easily reachable for a man of your talent. I'm behind ya 100%. Lemme know when your next meet is and Rick and I will get down there (or you can plan a meet in NC :p )

WillKuenzel
12-04-2006, 05:52 AM
Andrew: Nothing was wrong. Just didn't have the time to really post.

Andrew: Appreciate the concern but it's all good.

Isaac: LOL, there, there. It'll be okay. ;)

Stump: Pinkies just inside the rings.

Kevin: Thanks, but they need to be much stronger. My elbows flare out a bit more than I would like for them to on my close grips.

Justin: Life is treating me very well at the moment. Things could be better but that's always the case. :) I still don't know when my next meet will be. It'll depend more on whether I have the equipment to compete by then or not. I'd like a bench shirt and a few other little things before I compete again. Of course its not needed but I definitely think it would improve my total to have them.

12/2/06
DE lower:

warmup:
Nothing new, same old.

squats:
barx10
95x10
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x2 (w/ briefs here out)
315x2 (2 sets)
365x2 (2 sets)
405x2 (3 sets)

deadlifts:
135x3 (2 sets)
225x3 (2 sets)
315x1 (3 sets)
365x1 (4 sets)

Chubrock
12-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Jesus Will, DE with 405? Haha nice.

Pup
12-04-2006, 06:24 AM
Training looks solid as usual Will. Glad to see you posting again.

Bob
12-04-2006, 07:25 AM
Strong DLs and Squats for a DE day HY!!

On your last response about the age factor with elite.. I thought the same thing.. but even with the link in your sig, the only elite seperation is for teen and women.. so I've to do a better search I guess for raw elite and old men.. maybe the new APA Raw division?

KevinStarke
12-04-2006, 11:51 AM
Yah keeping elbows really tucked on closegrips can be annoying, and im sure its even harder for larger guys. 405 x 2 on DE day, strong squatting.

WillKuenzel
12-05-2006, 07:16 AM
Andrew: Its a bit heavy but it comes up fast. Its somewhere around 70% of where I'm expecting things could be. I might be over-estimating but if it moves fast I don't care.

Rob: Thanks on both accounts. Its good to be posting again. Its good for the soul and motivation.

Bearwolf: Thanks. Keep looking, there's a lot of information out there. I did a quick search but didn't find the qualifying totals for Master's division. They're out there somewhere. If nothing else, here is a link to the AAPF's record page (http://www.worldpowerliftingcongress.com/AAPF%20Records.htm). It'll give you a good idea.

Kevin: It just shows that I have to work harder on my lats to pull my chest up and pull my elbows down and in. Its all getting just a bit better here and there.

12/5/06
ME bench:

flat bench:
barx10
135x5
165x3
195x3
225x3
255x3
285x3
315x2
325x1
335x1
345x1
365xmiss
I was running out of time and just wanted to try 365. Didn't make it. Maybe in a couple weeks. My set up isn't nearly as tight as it was for the meet and so I'm losing a bit from the start. The ROM is changing just a bit much above 325. Got to get my upper back still stronger.

I don't know if today I'm going to do upper accessory work or go ahead and do my ME squatting. I've got better time today but haven't eaten as well lately so my energy levels are a bit low. We'll see.

ericg
12-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Good luck with your goals Will. Curious...why you want to go up to 242lbs?

Chubrock
12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
Like I posted in Isaac's journal; we need to get a NC/SC meet going. I know me, Rick and Justin would be down, but you and Isaac have really tough schedules it seems.

Unholy
12-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Your workouts are really solid. Alot of inspiration in here for a little guy like myself.

Sidior
12-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Strong benching bro. Why no accessory work right now?

Stumprrp
12-05-2006, 05:25 PM
strong benching HY

WillKuenzel
12-06-2006, 05:56 AM
Eric: The better question would be, "why not?" ;) LOL, I just feel that I'll be at a better advantage in a higher weight class. For the 220's I'm just a bit tall to make the most out of it. I'd be much better suited for 275 but that's years down road if at all.

Andrew: Our schedules are rather difficult from time to time. I usually don't get done with work until late on Friday's making most long driving trips a pain in the ass. I hate driving and my wife even less. Its a 4 hour drive to Clayton for the APF meet there. We might have to wait a little longer for another meet to come around.

HolyWars: Thanks!

Sid: Honestly, just because I'm not making time for it. The real accessory work that I need to concentrate on is upper back and abs but I've been very slack about that. Another reason is that I've gone overboard with it in the past and so I'm trying to come at it from a different angle. I'll slowly re-incorporate until I feel that its beating me down and back it down from there. Instead of my usual ball's to wall, if it hurts it builds character crap. That's great for beginners but I think that in order for me to continue to improve my focus needs to be on the big three.

Stump: Thanks, man!

12/5/06
upper accessory:
So I'll probably do most of my accessory work the day after. It lends itself to be better with time constraints and it allows me to focus just on the intended exercises that needs focus.

pull-ups:
I did 20 over the course of the workout. I'm having trouble with my brachioradialis so these are getting more and more painful in my left arm. At least that's what it seems like. I'm not sure if its from too much pushing or not enough tricep work.

chest supported t-bar rows:
1platex10
2platesx10
3platesx6 (4 sets)
2.5platesx8
2platesx12

foam roller work:
About 20 minutes spent stretching and doing foam roller work. My IT bands and quads are especially tight. Trying to loosen up the IT bands so I can push my knees out more when squatting. That seems to be one of my biggest concerns with it right now.

MixmasterNash
12-06-2006, 09:02 AM
IT band + foam roller = pain. I'm thinking about adding whiskey to the equation to see if it feels better.

WillKuenzel
12-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Mixman: Whiskey goes good in any equation!

12/6/06
ME lower:

warmup:
as always

squats:
barx10
135x3
185x3 (GM's instead of squats)
225x3
275x3 (GM's)
315x1
315x3 (w/ briefs here out)
365x3
405x3
455x3
495x1
525x1
555x1 (little shy of parallel)

That's all. I'll try to get in a little more lower accessory work tomorrow.

JustinASU
12-06-2006, 04:37 PM
What kind of accessory work are you looking at incorporating for your upper back? We've been using band pull aparts, face pulls, row variations, etc. but I wouldn't mind hearing what you have planned so we can add to the arsenal.

ericg
12-07-2006, 05:17 AM
Nice ME day bro. You are definitely on the right track to hitting your goals.

Hatred
12-07-2006, 07:40 AM
Did everyone leave n come back? jeez. Lifts look good will
a 555 squat is awesome.

WillKuenzel
12-07-2006, 09:30 AM
Justin: Those exercises are good for conditioning and a little bit of hypertrophy work but things need to be much heavier to really build the strength of your back. Apply some of the same principles you're using with your bench and squat to your back. Heavy db rows, lower sternum pullups, pullups that mimic how you bench, chest supported rows. I'm going to be doing alot more rowing and pullups but more rows where I'm supported so that my lower back doesn't take a beating.

Eric: I hope so. I should be squatting in the 6's in just my briefs to be able to really get the most out of my suit to try and have a shot at elite.

Josh: LOL, I think there are a few of us that have taken a hiatus here and there. Trying to get things settled back into their proper priority and hopefully from there my workouts will get better.

Chubrock
12-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Nice squatting bro. I'm going to continue lifting raw for awhile, mainly because I feel like I need to increase my base strength a lot more, but also because I don't have the money to get into both a bench shirt and a squat suit. Do you think it would be worth the money to just pick up some briefs for right now, and do most people squat with the briefs and the suit? I've been a bit confused about that in the past.

KevinStarke
12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Real strong squat man.

WillKuenzel
12-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Chubs: Nothing wrong with trying to increase base strength first and for most its recommended. I lifted raw for over 10 years before I even got in a squat suit. Even then it was a well worn single ply poly. Kind of like wearing 2 pairs of underwear and nothing more. A good pair of briefs might be a good idea before getting a squat suit or bench shirt. I pretty much only get in my squat suit anymore for meets or to test my openers. I don't plan on doing any real work in my suit except for maybe a week or 2 mid-cycle. As far as a bench shirt goes, when I get one, I'll be in it either every other week or 3 weeks in it and then 3 weeks without. And yes, people squat in both the briefs and the suit. You are allowed to wear your briefs under your squat suit, in the APF. I don't know about other federations though, so check before you compete.

Kevin: Almost. Its slowly starting to get better. I'm having such a hard time walking it out because the rack, where I work out, sucks. On weekends when I'm able to lift out of a monolift, things feel much much more comfortable.

Unholy
12-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Your squats are very strong. Is the walk out that taxing ?

Chubrock
12-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Gracias Senor. Are you getting anything out of the briefs?

galileo
12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Where would one find information on "foam roller work" besides the paint store?

WillKuenzel
12-08-2006, 08:35 AM
HolyWars: Walking it out shouldn't be that taxing but it is. I'm pretty much doing a quarter squat already to get the weight up and out. Its more the rack and the work to have to get it to work than anything else.

Andrew: I'm getting a good bit out of them right now. When I initially got them, no. Its taking some time to learn to use them and how they alter my traditional set up. I have the Metal Ace briefs. They force you into a wider stance than you might normally be accustomed to. I'm more traditionally an athletic width squatter and even though I'm not ultra wide now when I squat, its definitely wider than I normally go. Sometimes they help but sometimes they're crap. That's more a faulty user than faulty equipment though.

Gal: Found a good resource:
http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/assets/Exercisesheets/PDF/FoamRoller.pdf
Good stuff. I run through all those several times.

Anthony
12-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Chubs, not to butt in, but another thing to keep in mind is that you'll most likely need help getting into your shirt/suit. Something to think about if you're training alone.

And yes, 555 is sick. Definitely looking forward to when you hit the 600's!

KevinStarke
12-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Haha yah man when I trained at Hollywoods I got spoiled with the monolift and making the transition from that to walking out is always annoying.

Chubrock
12-08-2006, 11:24 AM
Yea, that's another reason I'm not hell bent on picking up a suit/shirt. I can train with Rick and Justin up in Durham, but it's a long drive for me, so I wouldn't be able to do it very often.

Sidior
12-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Huge squatting bro.

WillKuenzel
12-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Anthony: Briefs at least are another matter. That's part of the reason I'm training in them. If you do train mostly alone, you could get a suit that's maybe a size big and you could get into it by yourself. I've done that with mine and I'm hoping that when I do go back to get into it I have to have help.

Thanks! I'm hoping to see those numbers soon. I'm pushing things about as hard as I dare without frying my CNS too bad. Things are progressing nicely. Lets knock on wood that all stays that way.

Andrew: A shirt is another matter entirely. I don't think that unless it was a very loose close backed shirt that you could do it by yourself. I've had some random help from guys around the gym when I've had to but that's few and far between. I've been getting into my squat suit pretty well by myself, although its taken me about 20 minutes of struggling and resting to get into it. Suit slippers and some spandex biker type shorts are great for making getting into it easier.

Sid: Thanks, yo!

Anthony
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Yeah, briefs are much easier. Or even if he got a suit and just left the straps down. That might even be better for learning the groove?

WillKuenzel
12-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Anthony: True. I'm not real sure though. I've got a Metal Pro squat suit and it changes with the straps up because the straps pull your upper body in some interesting ways if its not up right and you ain't ready for it. It could at least help in protecting the hips. I know what if I squat raw and heavy these days my hips ache for days, even with foam roller work.

12/8/06
DE bench:

warmup:
Just because you should...

flat bench:
barx10
135x3 (pinkies on the rings)
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3 (3 board, pinkies on the rings)
365x1 (ditto)
365x3 (ditto)
365x3 (ditto)
365x2 (ditto)

Okay so I screwed this up. A week or so ago, I trained up at SCB on their DE bench day. We did 365 for 5 reps off of boards. Well, I just thought I sucked until I remembered that we were doing 4 boards then. So today wasn't quite as fast as it should have been. I should have backed the weight down but that would have made me a wuss. So 3 sets of 365 it was. Next week I'll move back to 4 board or add bands to the three board. Not sure yet.

Adam
12-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Yeah, briefs are much easier. Or even if he got a suit and just left the straps down. That might even be better for learning the groove?

Just like homie said I find that with the straps up they pull hard on your upper body. Of course though, getting used to straps down is better then wearing nothingat all.

H.Y. - I saw above you said you were having problems with your brachioradialus(sp??). Do you do hammer curls? I found that they fixed any tightness I had in that region. I never went heavy on them or hard. Just a couple easy sets here and there.

KevinStarke
12-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Sick benching man real strong 3-boards.

WillKuenzel
12-11-2006, 06:23 AM
Adam: I haven't been doing any. I probably should be. Being anti-curl for so long I don't want to admit to doing them much less be seen doing them. LOL, guess its time to suck it up.

Kevin: Thanks, man!

12/9/06
DE squat:

warmups:
Blah, bleh, bloo...

squats:
barx8
95x8
135x8
185x3
225x2
225+choked lightsx2
225+CL+doubled minisx2
275+CLx2
275+CL+DMx2
315+CLx2
315+CL+DMx2 (added briefs)
365+CLx2
365+CL+DMx2
405+CLx2 (3 sets)

sumo deadlifts:
135x3
225x3
315x1 (3 sets)
365x1 (5 sets)

Speed was good. Deadlifts felt really good. Squats were just slightly off and never really fell into the groove. Speed wasn't bad. The attempt of the application of speed was definitely there. I can jump higher.

Chubrock
12-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice Will. I've got a ways to go before I'm going to make the jump to geared lifting, but it's something I want to have worked out before I make the decision. Strong squatting man. Some damn heavy DE work.

Relentless
12-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Just noticed you're back in journal land.
:lurk:
I shall watch this space with interest.

KevinStarke
12-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Solid looking workout. How do you set your bands up for squat and bench at your gym?

ericg
12-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Nice workout Will.

Sidior
12-11-2006, 12:02 PM
solid DE day, were those done off a box or free?

RuLess
12-11-2006, 03:20 PM
your DE bench day is redicc bro.. how much u think your max bench is now adays shirted?? and u still staying lean at 220?

WillKuenzel
12-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Andrew: Thanks! The DE work is a bit heavier than usual but its because I'm not going as heavy as I would like to on my ME days. I think I can afford a little more play on my DE days than usual.

Scott: Hopefully I won't disappoint.

Kevin: On the bench, I'll use 100's and 90's sitting side by side. Gives a bit of extra tension at the bottom with the extra distance between them. With the squating: here's a link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQwOqdy_Y2I) That's easier than explaining it. The weight releasers are in there too.

Eric: Thanks, man. Glad to have you stop by.

Sid: They were done free. I don't exactly have a very reliable box and tend to eff up the hell out of some box squats if I don't have somebody watching me.

RuLess: Max shirted? I'd have no idea. It would depend on the shirt. If it were the same shirt I used at the meet (which was several sizes too big), maybe 415. In the same shirt but my size, I'd have no idea. None. I'm not nearly as lean now as I used to be. I'm probably 12-14%. A few visible abs just barely left but that's eating whatever the hell I want and not really watching my diet at all. I probably actually am not eating enough and that ain't making things any better.

drew
12-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Will, you will total Elite. I have no doubt. (I just hope you don't beat me to it!)

Pup
12-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Great looking squats Will...your poundages are getting freaky.

WillKuenzel
12-12-2006, 05:44 PM
drew: The race is on! :p

Rob: Getting there. If I could ever lift out of a rack I felt comfortable in they'd be a lot higher.

12/12/06
ME bench:
So I continued my plan that less is better. I really should get to doing more accessory work and will probably do that tomorrow. Today was purely what little bit of ME work I made time for.

bench:
barx10
95x8
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3
275x3 (off 3 board from here out)
315x3
365x3
385x3
405x2
That was it. I had the time but pissed it off doing other stuff. Its probably a good thing. I'll work up to a 1RM next week. 405 was easy and had my set up been better I would have had 3 but things were just funky. I like boards a bit better than lockouts but that might just be because they're new.

Chubrock
12-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Nice 3 Board Will. Include me in this race to Elite. Ya'll are far stronger, but have been lifting longer than me, so I'm hoping my "newbie ness" will allow me to catch up somewhat.

Stumprrp
12-12-2006, 07:55 PM
STRONG 3 board will!

Sidior
12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
STRONG 3 board will!
:withstupi

Those are ridikalus!

galileo
12-13-2006, 06:22 AM
So are you completely done with bodybuilding now?

JustinASU
12-13-2006, 06:28 AM
So are you completely done with bodybuilding now?

Will still has a tiny, speedo clad, hairless man inside him, begging to come out. Don't let him fool you.

WillKuenzel
12-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Chubs: LOL, we'll let you catch up... somewhat. :p

Stump: They should be much stronger. My triceps aren't nearly as strong as I thought they were.

Sid: They're getting there. Slowly but surely.

Gal: Yep, completely.

Justin: LOL, coming from the guy that still complains about his weight. :p

So due to user error of the routine, yesterday was supposed to be ME squat but I screwed that up. Life gets in the way sometimes. So in any event, barring a 10 ton meteor striking me directly, I'll be doing squats today. El yay.

Anthony
12-14-2006, 08:29 AM
****, nice 3B ... and raw??? I hate you.

Chubrock
12-14-2006, 08:34 AM
Haha don't let me catch up too much. If you let me close in, I'd have to pass you, and I just don't think you or Drew could handle that.

WillKuenzel
12-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Anthony: Yeah, 3 boards are still raw. I don't plan on getting a shirt until sometime in February. There's usually a meet down here in late March or early April in which I'd like to compete. I'm hoping that 5-8 weeks in a shirt will give some good numbers.

Chubs: Truthfully I don't think I was doing quite the weight you are at your current weight. I was a little too focused on getting bigger and doing those old bodybuilder routines. I do think that once my focus shifted over though the years of bodybuilding were good to me in just the added mass. Now its getting the mass to do what I want it to.

Chubrock
12-14-2006, 08:47 AM
As far as PLing goes, I think I would've faired so much better if I had started training like this a long time ago. I was torn in so many different directions that my training became very sporadic. Had the stint where I just trained like a BBer, and then had the long period of time where I was grappling and training with KBs, and just now recently got into PLing. I think in that regard, I'm behind, but the grappling has given me the opportunity to have a higher level of GPP than most who train just PLing, so I suppose I should be thankful for that.

Sidior
12-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Oh ya I forgot to ask were those boards done comp grip or narrower?

WillKuenzel
12-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Chubs: Powerlifters + GPP = funny. They talk about it but its a really really low priority and those that do it more regularly... still pass out from 15 minutes worth of it. If its a weakness, then its something to work on but if you're relatively lean or hell even less than 20% bodyfat or so, I really doubt it should be anything of a priority.

Sid: It was third finger on the rings. So an inch or so inside comp grip.

12/14/06
ME squat:
Good times.

squats:
barx10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x3
315x3 (w/ briefs here out)
365x3
405x3
455x3
495x1
495x1 (w/ briefs and suit)
525x1
545x1
545 for a nice slow negative and a 3 second isometric hold...

or a miss, however you want to put it. The last 545 was just in my briefs as the suit felt like hell. Just couldn't get anything to respond how I wanted it to. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The suit just pulls me all funky. I was wanting to get some work in it since its been a while but it just felt like crap. I feel better in just the briefs but I know that if I can get them to work together I'll have a much better squat coming. So it looks like I might spend some time in it.

sumo rack deads from a whole whopping 6" off the ground:
135x5
225x3
315x3
405x3
495x3
585x1
615xnothing, I suck.

The gym was hot as hell and the 400mg of caffiene I had did absolutely nothing for my energy levels. Sleep last night was godawful as well. Lots of excuses for why things suck but the biggest being... I'm weak.

ectx
12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
geeze, you whine like a girl, or galileo.

Pup
12-14-2006, 04:01 PM

Same difference ;)

WillKuenzel
12-14-2006, 04:11 PM
:whiner:

Sidior
12-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Chubs Just couldn't get anything to respond how I wanted it to. I'm not sure what I'm going to do. The suit just pulls me all funky. I was wanting to get some work in it since its been a while but it just felt like crap. I feel better in just the briefs but I know that if I can get them to work together I'll have a much better squat coming. So it looks like I might spend some time in it.

:cry:

Does it give you problems straps down, or only when you bring them up?

WillKuenzel
12-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Does it give you problems straps down, or only when you bring them up?Both, but especially with the staps up. I'm not sure if its just the placement of them, whether the suit is up high enough (although my junk tells me that it ain't going any higher), or just the fact that I'm not used to everything.

I used to wear the suit a good bit but its never quite felt right with the straps up. I think I'm just going to have to use it more often just to get a feel for what's happening when I've got it on.

I know a few powerlifters who say to stay out of the suit until closer to meet time but having the problems I am, I'm wondering if I shouldn't spend more time in it. My raw strength has some up. Not quite as much as I would prefer but I'm not lifting raw and the equipment changes things a lot for me. Especially wearing that much equipment. I'll have to start poking around to see if its me or my lack of work in the suit.

KevinStarke
12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Strong squatting and pulling despite the conditions man.

Stumprrp
12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
sick squats dude, whats your raw squat PR?

galileo
12-14-2006, 08:30 PM

Same difference ;)

You

WillKuenzel
12-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Kevin: Thanks, man!

Stump: 405x2, PL stance. 405x1 ATF. Been a while for either, though.

Gal: They are thinking about you. Must have made an impression.

12/15/06
DE bench:

warmup:
Its hot enough here.

bench (all sets, pinky on the rings):
barx10
95x8
135x5
135+doubled mini'sx3
135+doubled lightsx3
135+DM+DLx3
From here out I choked both the mini's and the lights by putting the 100 and 95lbs db's side by side. Sort of created a triangle so the tension was tighter. Don't ask what the tension was because I don't care. It was heavy.
3 board from here out:
135+ChokedDM+CDLx2
185+crapx2 (2 sets)
185+crapx1 (2 sets)

I then did some random rowing with various things around the gym. Wow, what a conglomoration of crap. The set up had everybody asking what it was for. Ask me when I'm done, not in the middle of a set.

Gabrielle
12-15-2006, 04:45 PM
you are strong son of a you know what. I haven't posted in one of your journals in a long time. You got some sick numbers. Opposite in my gym, it was damn cold and all my lifts suffered.

bill
12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Good job all in all. I would say spend time in the suit. The worst thing you could do is wear it out a little.

Chubrock
12-15-2006, 05:00 PM
Yea, my GPP is definitely not a priority now. I still play soccer from time to time, as well as some flag football and what not, but I'm not concerned with it. Just wish I had gone away from it awhile ago and focused more on PLing back when I first started lifting.

Nice session in the gym man. I've had some weird looks when setting up the bands for my DE Deads. Bad enough that my tiny ass is carrying 95s and 100s around the gym, but when I break out the bands, it blows people's minds haha.

Sensei
12-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Chubs: Powerlifters + GPP = funny. They talk about it but its a really really low priority and those that do it more regularly... still pass out from 15 minutes worth of it. If its a weakness, then its something to work on but if you're relatively lean or hell even less than 20% bodyfat or so, I really doubt it should be anything of a priority.
Oh, come on.... Do the 225 for reps squat challenge with us! ;)

What kind of suit are you using again? It really took some concerted practice in a suit and briefs until I wasn't having issues with them pulling me out of the groove. You know this, but remember that the suit will try to pull you into the path of least resistance which is also the path of least assistance. Sit BACK, BACK, BACK and ARCH like MFer!!!

WillKuenzel
12-18-2006, 05:53 AM
Gab: I can lift fine in the cold. My dad and I used to all the time. You can bundle up and be okay, being hot... well there's only so much clothing I can take off before they kick me out.

bill: That's what I'm thinking. We'll see how it goes.

Chubs: Hindsight is 20/20. There's a million and one things I wish I could have done differently but taking past experiences and making the present better that separates us and those people that never get anywhere.

Sensei: Will's GPP = teh suck! I'm in the Metal Pro Squatter. Its a tad bit loose on me as well. But I'm working on that. Krispy Kreme's are calling my name. You're right about the paths. Definitely a good reminder, as no matter how much you might know, a healthy reminder never hurts. Thanks!

12/16/06
DE squat:

warmup:
I probably should start involving some more band tension in these. Those things seemed to help a bit here and there.

squats:
barx10
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x2
275x2
315x2
365x2 (w/ briefs)
405x2 (6 sets)

sumo deadlifts (hook grip):
135x2 (2 sets)
185x2 (2 sets)
225x2 (2 sets)
275x1 (2 sets)
315x1 (2 sets)
365x1 (5 sets)
415x1 (2 sets)

I'd pull, squat, pull again, then increase the weight on the 2. Something like that. So the heavier sets, I was wearing the briefs when I deadlifted as well.

barefooted ATF squats:
225x23 (w/ belt, no briefs)
These always hurt. My back is killing me today.

Chubrock
12-18-2006, 06:41 AM
**** yea Will. Damn nice DE day. Glad I can finally get back into the gym. Last week's deload damn near drove me crazy.

ericg
12-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Nice work Will. 6 sets with 405 then you bang out 23 with 225! nice.

galileo
12-18-2006, 07:10 PM
When they come up with squat boxers, I'm in.

WillKuenzel
12-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Andrew: During a deload I'll typically still do something. RE stuff or even lighter DE stuff with either bands around my wrists or knees (whether I'm benching or squatting, respectively).

eric: I was feeling pretty stupid. Well, I'm always feeling pretty stupid but that day was extra ordinary.

gal: Maybe boxer-briefs?

12/19/06
ME squat:

warmup:
short and shorter

squats:
barx10
135x3
225x3
315x2 w/ belt
405x2 w/ belt and briefs
455x2 w/ belt, briefs and suit/straps down
545x1 w/ above but straps up
605x1 ~para-bouts w/ straps up
Horrendously ugly. Maybe a couple inches short of parallel but its on the back and going for a short (okay... very short) ride.

Stumprrp
12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
awesome job man

Sidior
12-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Huge squatting! Was the suit still pulling you in weird directions? I'm hoping you sort it out because Im getting an IPF Metal Pro Squatter for christmas and hoping it isnt too tough a suit to use.

KevinStarke
12-19-2006, 05:09 PM
Dayam real strong squat, you'll have it at parallel real soon.

cphafner
12-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I haven't posted in here because I'm jealous and a hater! Sick stuff Will.

Chubrock
12-19-2006, 08:26 PM
That's some sick ass squatting bro. Too much haet to express in words.

ericg
12-20-2006, 05:53 AM
Nice squat bro. I bet you were closer than you think to hitting that 605 :whazzup:

Sensei
12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
barefooted ATF squats:
225x23 (w/ belt, no briefs)
These always hurt. My back is killing me today.
I'm going to put these into our little 225 for reps challenge. You might try them fresh sometime ;)

WillKuenzel
12-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Stump: Thanks!

Sid: The suit was still pulling funny but I got in it better and got it up higher. I don't think you'll have as much difficulty with the IPF suit as its singly ply. Mine is double ply, making it just a bit more difficult.

Kevin: We can hope and keep trying. Thanks!

Conor: LOL, I'm working on it.

Chubs: Its the progress. Slowly but surely.

Eric: Lets hope I was. It certainly didn't feel deep enough though.

Sensei: That was just me goofing off. Way too many reps and I'm surprised I didn't lose count after 6. ;)

12/20/06
ME bench:

warm up:
well, i did think about it.

flat bench:
barx10
95x5
135x5
185x5
225x3
275x3
315x3 (off 3 board here out)
345x3
375x3
405x1
420xnothing

Some random pulling and some random ab work. After the holidays I hope to get my accessory work back up to par.

WillKuenzel
12-27-2006, 05:12 PM
12/27/06
ME lower:
Damn week since last working out. Things are crazy right now. Good, but crazy.

warmup:
bunch of complexes

deadlift:
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1 (w/ suit, straps down)
545x1 (straps up)
Trying to get a better feel of where I am. Weight was easy but form was gawdawful. Next week I'll alter the rep/set scheme and look to hit a few more reps at +85% and then the following week about the same number of reps +93.275%. ;)

Stumprrp
12-27-2006, 05:19 PM
good benching and deadlifts HY, i hate all the equipments but your damn strong even without it! deadlift suits dont do much anyways correct?

Sidior
12-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Strong deads and squats. You pulling in your squat suit or do you have a deadlift suit as well? I hear the metal squatters have good carryover.

WillKuenzel
12-28-2006, 04:37 PM
good benching and deadlifts HY, i hate all the equipments but your damn strong even without it! deadlift suits dont do much anyways correct?Thanks! I'm a fan of equipment primarily because it gives another level of challenge to lifting. I don't look at it like a helping hand but more of something that adds another card to the deck. Trying to plan workouts and routines around the equipment and make the most of it is as much fun as lifting itself. The equipment does help, yes, but if you aren't strong to begin with it won't help too much. It'll help you go from **** to suck but not suck to good. ;) Generally deadlift suits don't do much. They do help a little bit at the very bottom so if that is your weak point then they can help. That isn't mine however so what I generally try to get out of it is enough momentum from the get-go to pull through my sticking point.

Strong deads and squats. You pulling in your squat suit or do you have a deadlift suit as well? I hear the metal squatters have good carryover.It's my squat suit. The metal squatters do have good carryover as long as you pull with relatively the same stance as you squat. Deadlift suits are better for a more conventional stance or medium sumo stance. The Metal squat suits are better for wide sumo pulling because they force your knees and legs out and apart.

12/28/06
DE bench?:
20 minutes and that was all. Not because I didn't have time but because it was all that I had in me.

warmup:
Usual with some foam roller work as well. Lower back wasn't really sore but just a little tighter than usual.

bench press:
barx10
95x5
135x5
205x3 (2 sets)
295x3 (2 sets to 3 board)

blast strap body rows:
bwx10 (4 sets)

fallouts:
bwx6 (4 sets)

cable cross chops:
80x8/8 (4 sets)

I pretty much supersetted all the above and just ran through it real fast. Just wasn't feeling anything but the 3 board felt so freaking easy I should have moved up but I only had one person around to help with the boards, so that was about as far as I could go without a lift off. Anyways, that's all. Hopefully DE squat tomorrow or Saturday.

Chubrock
12-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Fallouts?

KevinStarke
12-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Strong pulling and DE work man. I too am curious as to what fallouts are?

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 05:20 PM
strong DE work

WillKuenzel
12-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Fallouts?

Strong pulling and DE work man. I too am curious as to what fallouts are?

strong DE work

Thanks guys!

With the fallouts, I'm not quite as close to the ground as this shows but pretty close.
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=33923&tid=103

I use a jungle gym (http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4558_A_rnd_E_22) though instead of blast straps but I figured more people might know what they are and they're essentially the same thing. The body rows I do are considerably lower than what that picture shows and more than likely my feet are elevated. Its a pretty versatile little piece of equipment. Dips and other things are fun to try.

Relentless
12-29-2006, 06:57 AM
Hey are you still doing 'windshield wipers' for abs? :)

I wasn't able to do them for ages but now I can manage 'em.

WillKuenzel
12-29-2006, 07:21 AM
Occassionally, I'll hop up and knock out a set or 2. I've been very slack of late in my ab work. I'm slowly starting to do more and more of it again since I think its starting to become a weak point. Not necessarily the strength as windshield wipers aren't a struggle but I don't have as much endurance. So my later squat and deadlift sets tend to struggle.

Good to hear you're able to manage them now. They're great once you get used to them and not quite as difficult as they may seem once you're able to get rolled back and in position. Now the challenge is to get to doing them off the blast straps. ;)

WillKuenzel
01-02-2007, 07:31 AM
Hobbes: Are you making any resolutions for the new year?
Calvin: Resolutions? ME?? Just what are you implying? That I need to change?? Well, Buddy, as far as I'm concerned, I'm perfect the way I am! For your information, I'm staying like this, and everyone else can just get used to it! If people don't like me the way I am, well, though beans! It's a free country! I don't need anyone's permission to be the way I want! This is how I am - take it or leave it! By golly, life's too darn short to waste time trying to please every meddlesome moron who's got an idea how I ought to be! I don't need advice! Everyone can just stay out of my face!

Being the conceded ******* that I am, my thought are very similar to those of

Calvin's. Most people's resolutions tend to verge on the thought that they are doing something wrong or not doing something at all that they should be doing. I am however not a complete egotistical maniac, so I do have some plans to augment my semi-perfect life. ;)

First off, some history... last new year's I spent curled up on somebody else's couch 4 hours aways from my own with a near-lethal flu virus. I struggled through to toast the new year in and give my fiance (now-wife) a kiss. This year I spent the entire day alternating my time between the porcelain god and the bed. I struggled through to walk downstairs 10 minutes before midnight to toast in the new year and give my wife a kiss. I witnessed some pole dancing on our lamp post outside and decided that I was way too sober to enjoy festivities and so I crawled my way back up stairs to bed but again, not before giving my offerings to the porcelain god, who humbly took my offerings and kindly ask me to return in 10 minutes. I, of course, returned.

So 2 years in a row, I've struggled through the ringing in of the new year. If I were a superstitious person, I would probably be expecting to be dead, but so like many cockroaches out there, it takes damn near a nuclear blast to release me of my fleshy confines. I'm still here, still kicking, albeit very weakly.

Why am I boring you with all this you might ask? Well, one reason being that its my journal, you are hear reading it and being the gracious host should have something in here for you to read. Another reason being that it sets the stage for what I'm about to say in reference to what I want to do.

The name of my journal implies not only the journey to elite status but the accomplishment of it. I tossed around a few other titles but "realization" is really the appropriate verb. Seeing the goal, taking the steps to complete and the actual realization of being elite. Well, it started out just being the realization of powerlifting elite. Now its going to mean a lot more. I've got a lot of things on my plate and those things I won't bore you with. What I will say in regards to my above statement in reference to Calvin, I don't plan on making in resolutions as the term has come to be coined for New Year's patrons, as those are just passing fickle attempts to completely alter, but I do plan on continuing to excel in the things that mean the most to me in the new year. A lot has changed in the last 2 years and I'm sure there'll be many many more changes to come. In the conceded voice, I've done well and in the humble voice, I'm very very surprised at how well things have turned out because I've not always been the most reliable or able minded or bodied person.

On and on with the incoherent ramblings, but more to the point, my current goals are, as they pertain to my lifting and nothng else:
1) to be well on my way to totalling elite by the end of the year.
Now that's not to say that I might reach it before the year is out but realistically let's look at baby steps. I have to have certain things in place in order to realize the goal at hand.
2) dedicate more time to working out.
This year has seen a steady decline the amount of time spent working out. In some ways I think it has benefitted me because I now have a better idea of the main focus of what my workouts should be, but its also become a detriment because my conditioning has worsened and so has my accessory work, which both are important in realizing goal #1.
3) because every list has to have at least 3, the re-incorporation of olympic lifts.
I've always felt that the olympic lifts have been good to me. Both in terms of the speed and force that they help to generate but also in terms of the increase in both anaerobic and aerobic capacity.

This is only a start. Things will need to get much more specific if all is to be accomplished but it will be. It all starts with writing down your goals and seeing them placed before you. Isaac had a great way of stating it and it really hammered somethings home for me. It was something I had already begun doing but sometimes it just takes somebody else really saying the way you need to hear it in order to hammer the point home.

Happy New Year.

Unholy
01-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Good Luck with your goals dude. I have no doubt you will reach them both.

Bob
01-02-2007, 01:32 PM
Awesome history of your last 2 new years HY.. :drooling:
GL on your goals.. If you stick to #2, then I think you will easily hit #1..

WillKuenzel
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Good Luck with your goals dude. I have no doubt you will reach them both.

Awesome history of your last 2 new years HY.. :drooling:
GL on your goals.. If you stick to #2, then I think you will easily hit #1..

Thanks guys! It ain't looking too good to start with though.

1/2/07
ME lower:
So the first day back in about a week isn't looking real good. Still recovering from being sick and getting my fluids back up. Lets hope it gets better from here and this isn't a sign of things to come.

warm ups:
complexes

squats:
95x5
135x5
185x3
225x3
315x3 (w/ briefs)
405x2 (w/ briefs and suit)
405x3 (ditto)
405x6 (ditto)

Got a real good feel on the last set. Staring to feel more comfortable in the suit. I'm going to try to hit a few "light" weight reps in the suit and worry later about getting my heavy ME work up.

Due to the new year, I was unable to get in more of a workout because of business influx. Not a bad thing for business but not a wonderful thing for my workouts though. I'm going to spend more days working out so hopefully tomorrow will be what accessory work I should have done today.

Relentless
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Now the challenge is to get to doing them off the blast straps. ;)

Yeah I'll get right on that. :p

WillKuenzel
01-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Scott: I tried them. Didn't really seem to be all that much more difficult.

Here's my past 2 workouts. Relatively teh suck.

1/5/07
upper:

warm ups:
complexes

incline bench press:
barx10
95x8
135x5
185x3
225x3
245x3
265x2
275x1 (6 sets)

bw pullups:
bwx5 (8 sets)

blast strap body rows:
bwx12 (3 sets)

1/6/07
DE lower:

warmups:
Complexes

squats:
barx10
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
315x3
135+looped averagesx3
135+double choked averagesx3
225+DCAx2
275+DCAx2
315+DCAx2
315+DCAx2 (5 sets) (w/ briefs)

Big o Boy
01-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Sweet... I found your journal again. I was wondering why your prior journal was dead. Great lifting again, sorry I don't have much time to check it out in detail, I need to head out. Good luck with elite!

Sidior
01-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Nice DE work, the tension on double choked averages must be huge. Doubled lights kick my ass.

WillKuenzel
01-08-2007, 12:17 PM
BoB: Thanks for checking in. I've been slack and busy so I need to check up in your journal as well. Hope all is well and I'll check in on you soon.

Sid: It was different. I got some blue bands too that I hope to be putting to use in 6-8 weeks when my new powerrack arrives at the house!!!

1/8/07
ME upper:

warmup:
very little of anything but something nevertheless.

flat bench:
barx5
95x5
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x3 (3 board)
315x3 (3 board)
345x3 (3 board)
375x2 (+1 assisted off 3 board)
405x1 (errr... not really, quite a bit of help but its good to hold the weight)
That's all.

Going to go do some sprints. :eek:

Big o Boy
01-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Double choked averages? Sounds hard as hell. How do you set that up? I don't have averages yet, but I'd like to try doubling the lights sometime for some extra tension. Right now I choke the lights through a 45lb plate and a 100 lb. DB, and that allows me to get tension even when I'm bottomed out.

Nice board presses, sprints are awesome. I need to do some, too... now if I can just find a stretch that doesn't have mud caked on it. :( Guess I'll settle for box jumps.

cphafner
01-09-2007, 09:51 PM
squats are getting real strong will. I am thinking of making a trip down south some time next month.

WillKuenzel
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
Bob: Wasn't really all that hard. I wrap them twice around the bottom of the squat rack and then loop them up and through. I might give the strongs a try this weekend.

Conor: Let me know when you'll be down. We've got a spare bedroom that's open. You're more than welcome to come down and stay. Give me as much notice as you can and I'll take off work if I can.

1/10/07
ME squats:
I did do some sprints on Monday and I did about 20 minutes of pull-ups and blast strap body rows yesterday. Nothing crazy but just a lot of reps and high pull/low row variations.

warmups:
complexes

squats:
barx10
95x8
135x3
185x3
225x3
315x2
365x1 (briefs on)
455x1
515x1 (suit on, straps down)
545x1 (straps up)
585x1
That last set with 585 was high but that's the best that weight has ever felt. Not perfectly stable but much better than ever before. Like I said, I didn't hit depth but it really should take more than that for me to get to depth in the equipment that I'm in. My form was much better and it didn't feel like the suit was pulling me forward. I sat back better and didn't have any trouble coming up.

I'm going to do the APF push/pull here in Charleston at the end of February. I have a double ply Metal bench shirt on the way and I'll do 3 weeks of shirt work, one week out of it to deload and then one more week in it working up to my opener before having a week off meet week. Hopefully I'll get enough practice in it to make it worth while.

I'm also switching my ME lower exercises to rack deads for 2 weeks then work on pulling hard off the floor to get ready. My goals, tentatively, are a 500 bench and 600 dead. I'm only a few pounds off for the dead if I can get everything dialed in for it. The bench is assuming that I can get the shirt to work for me in the limited time that I have.

Lets rock and roll.

KevinStarke
01-10-2007, 04:18 PM
Strong squats man the depth will come with practice in the gear. How do you like benching in a Metal shirt?

Chubrock
01-10-2007, 06:57 PM
I was talking to Isaac about possibly coming down at the beginning of March. I have spring break the first week and thought maybe I could come down and get some sessions in with ya'll if at all possible. Whatcha think?

HeavyBomber
01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Excellent lifting bud.

Sidior
01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
How much weight do you think it will take before depth isnt as issue with the suit?

Real nice squatting parallel or not btw.

Big o Boy
01-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Nice squatting. That much weight would break me in half I'm pretty sure. What type of suit/briefs are you wearing?

500/600 is much closer to Elite!

PowerManDL
01-11-2007, 01:01 AM
My current total is 1420. I squatted 495 in briefs and suit with knee wraps, benched 400 in a double ply poly and deadlifted 525 in my squat suit. Well, you're probably think that this ******* won't ever total elite with a pathetic total like that. All the gear he had and he couldn't do better than that. I would have thought that too but I'm now doubling 495 in just briefs off a low box. Other things are much stronger but everything still needs work.

I think that too, and I'm right.

Will + Elite total = haha x10

You can't argue with the math.

:D

WillKuenzel
01-11-2007, 07:40 AM
Strong squats man the depth will come with practice in the gear. How do you like benching in a Metal shirt?
I haven't used one that fits yet but I've been happy with even a larger one. The groove seemed easy to hit and its pretty consistent with my style of benching. I've talked to some other guys about other shirts and the style of benching might be a bit different. I'm hoping that it'll work out well but we'll see.

I was talking to Isaac about possibly coming down at the beginning of March. I have spring break the first week and thought maybe I could come down and get some sessions in with ya'll if at all possible. Whatcha think?Hopefully I'll have my power rack by then and we can lift at the house. Otherwise we can certainly figure something out. Let us know on your plans and we'll definitely hook up.

Excellent lifting bud.Lets just hope it gets better. I've got some high aspirations so I'm trying to get things together.

How much weight do you think it will take before depth isnt as issue with the suit?I think it would be about mid-600's before getting to depth isn't an issue. At least for me. In the Metal Ace briefs and Metal Pro suit there's a lot of material in there.

Nice squatting. That much weight would break me in half I'm pretty sure. What type of suit/briefs are you wearing?Like I told Sid, I'm wearing the Metal Ace briefs and the Metal Pro Squatter. Both are top notch equipment with a little bit of a learning curve that's taking me some time to get the most out of it. Its getting there, but slowly.

I think that too, and I'm right.

Will + Elite total = haha x10

You can't argue with the math.

:DLOL, shut it. You're just jealous that I can bench and you're stuck with nothing but measily squats and an okay deadlift. ;)

Will + soon = elite total.

KevinStarke
01-11-2007, 07:46 AM
I haven't used one that fits yet but I've been happy with even a larger one. The groove seemed easy to hit and its pretty consistent with my style of benching. I've talked to some other guys about other shirts and the style of benching might be a bit different. I'm hoping that it'll work out well but we'll see.

As far as Metal shirts i've always had the notion that they were geared more towards the heavier weight class guys and not so much the smaller lightweight guys like myself. Is yours open back?

WillKuenzel
01-11-2007, 07:49 AM
It is, yes. I looked at some of the shirts from Inzer but even those I would have gotten open back. I've used a close back shirt and its just horrid to get in and out of. I feel a bit more control of where I can put the shirt and get the shirt into better position with an open back.

Pup
01-11-2007, 07:50 AM
Nice work Will...don't listen to Matt, he's just jealous of your bald shiny head.

ElPietro
01-11-2007, 07:53 AM
Your gayness is only over-shadowed by your non-heterosexuality.

Oh, and you like men.

That is all for now.

WillKuenzel
01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Nice work Will...don't listen to Matt, he's just jealous of your bald shiny head.Thanks, Rob. You think that's what it is? It finally got a little chilly today so I had to cover the head.

Your gayness is only over-shadowed by your non-heterosexuality.

Oh, and you like men.

That is all for now.
LOL, wow. I got nothing. ...except when you going to start lifting again. :p

KevinStarke
01-11-2007, 07:59 AM
Yah open back is definitelly easier to get settup. I only used my single ply Rage X a couple times but getting it on was no fun at all (closed back). By the time I would get it on i'd be winded and have to rest for a bit before actually benching.

WillKuenzel
01-12-2007, 02:04 PM
Kevin: I used a buddies Rage X and got absolutely nothing out of it. I'd hit the exact same raw or shirted in it. I think my style of benching just didn't work with the Rage.

1/12/06
DE bench:

warmups:
crap and more crap.

bench:
DM = doubled mini's
DMM = doubled monster mini's
DL = doubled lights
2DL = a pair of doubled lights
barx10
95x10
135x5
bar+DMx3
bar+DM+DMMx3
bar+DLx3
bar+DL+DMx3
bar+DL+DM+DMMx3
bar+2DLx3

Then I spent a few minutes in an isometric press trying to get on my shirt that I ordered too small. Actually I ordered it the same size as it says I'm supposed to but I'm just not up to trying to squeeze into it. I'll send it back, get a larger shirt and spend my time bulking to get into it. As I get fatter, I'll adjust better to being in a tighter shirt over time. Trying to just hop my ass in a shirt that I really haven't had enough work in, ain't going to do me a whole lot of good. I'm hoping that if I can send it out tomorrow, I'll be able to get it back fairly quickly and still have enough time to practice in it before the meet at the end of February.

Tomorrow I start pulling for real in hopes to revive my dying deadlift.

KevinStarke
01-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Really? Do you not bring the bar low? I've only used it twice and the first time I did I got 60 lbs out of it, the second time I did I got 70 lbs out of it with a pause and it was put on like crap too.

DE work looks good I really need to get some funds and get some bands.

WillKuenzel
01-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, it very could just have been that the shirt was pretty much worn out. My buddy had been using it for a year or 2 before I tried it. It also didn't seem to fit real well and might have been just a size small. I just couldn't get it give me anything.

I bench real low, almost an ab bencher. It could have been that it just wasn't the groove for the shirt but I was just tossing the bar around and not really getting type of feel for the groove where even in a Metal shirt a couple sizes too big I was getting some feel for where the groove needed to be.

I also haven't really had anybody to help me as far as bench shirts go. Its just been me and Isaac trying to figure it out. I really need spend a day at SCB with Marc Bartley or one of those guys up there to help me. They all have pretty good benches. I keep reading from the guys over at elitefts to find somebody to help you with a shirt to get more out of it.

KevinStarke
01-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Yah I never had anyone to show me the ropes either, it was just me and Drew from this board yanking the shirt on me and hoping it worked. A fresh rage X would probably do you good since the groove definitelly touches low. The angle in this video is pretty bad but you can see im touching pretty damn low (for me at least). http://youtube.com/watch?v=3leNn_BFNKs

I never used a metal shirt but all the guys at the gym I used to train at did but they were all 242+ belly benchers.

Big o Boy
01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Good luck with the deadlifts today. That DE band day looked like fun. I need to try doubling up my lights. How much resistance do you think each of those combinations gave you?

I'm thinking of ordering a shirt sometime in the near future. Nothing big, just something to get me started into an assisted bench. You think I should go balls to the wall and get the best shirt I can, or start with something simple? My groove is basic -- right at the bottom of the sternum.

bill
01-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Good job, ; plenty of peeps giving you heck! LOL

WillKuenzel
01-15-2007, 03:57 PM
Yah I never had anyone to show me the ropes either, it was just me and Drew from this board yanking the shirt on me and hoping it worked. A fresh rage X would probably do you good since the groove definitelly touches low. The angle in this video is pretty bad but you can see im touching pretty damn low (for me at least). http://youtube.com/watch?v=3leNn_BFNKs

I never used a metal shirt but all the guys at the gym I used to train at did but they were all 242+ belly benchers.I plan on being a 242+ belly bencher so its a good idea for me to get started. :p Isaac and I are learning the ropes quick enough.

Good luck with the deadlifts today. That DE band day looked like fun. I need to try doubling up my lights. How much resistance do you think each of those combinations gave you?I don't count band tension at the top. I count how many bands and how they're choked. Anything else doesn't really matter. As long as its heavy, that's all that really matters.

I'm thinking of ordering a shirt sometime in the near future. Nothing big, just something to get me started into an assisted bench. You think I should go balls to the wall and get the best shirt I can, or start with something simple? My groove is basic -- right at the bottom of the sternum.Start with something simple and basic. A shirt has a learning curve. Try to find a shirt that'll go with your type of bench, and if you have a partner to help you get into the shirt or not. I've found I can get into a close back shirt if I'm wearing Under Armor or some type of spandex long sleeve shirt. I can semi-work the shirt by myself but if its open back you'll have to have somebody else help you with it. You really need to have somebody help but if its just you try to find something basic and go a size or preferably 2 larger. That way you can get into without any trouble and start to learn how a shirt changes the dynamics of the lift.

Good job, ; plenty of peeps giving you heck! LOLThey give me trouble when they get jealous. I'm used to it. :)

1/13/06
DE Squat/deadlift:

warmups:
complexes...

squats:
barx10
95x5
135x3
185x2
Felt like crap and my left quad has a terrible knot in it. Decided to switch off to deadlifts and start working it.

sumo deads:
135x3
185x2
225x2
275x2
315x1
365x1
415x1
465x1
All felt horrible and my form was as ugly as my unshaven nutsack. It was all light enough that I was just bullying it up. Not going to fly.

1/15/07
ME bench:
Another godawful workout.

warmups:
A bit of this and that, then moved to helping Isaac into his shirt. Not easy.

bench:
barx10
95x6
135x3
185x3
225x3
275x1
315x3 (3 board)
365x2 (3 board)
365x one painful negative. I suck.

dips SS w/ pullups:
bwx10 SS w/ bwx5 (3 or 4 sets of this)
bwx5 SS w/ bwx5 (3 or 4 more sets)
That's it.

Board work sucked. I've done 405 off the 3 board. Hitting 2 reps of 365 just pissed me off. My weight is up but the strength ain't reflecting it. Got to get something moving in the right direction.

bill
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
If your wt keeps moving up the lifts should follow eventually.

KevinStarke
01-15-2007, 04:03 PM
Haha sounds good man, bulk that gut up.

Workout looks solid regardless man some days are just better then others. I did 3-boards today too lotta fun.

Chubrock
01-15-2007, 04:04 PM
**** man. I just came off of a nasty ME session the other day. It was terrible. We all hit those at times. You'll kill it next time.

WillKuenzel
01-16-2007, 03:18 PM
If your wt keeps moving up the lifts should follow eventually.You'd think, although it hasn't started to happen yet.

Haha sounds good man, bulk that gut up.

Workout looks solid regardless man some days are just better then others. I did 3-boards today too lotta fun.I like the board presses but they just didn't like me yesterday.

**** man. I just came off of a nasty ME session the other day. It was terrible. We all hit those at times. You'll kill it next time.I'd rather shoot myself in the foot than have a bad ME day. I'll make up for on the DE workout, plan for a lighter ME session next time and bounce back from there. Meet day is getting closer.

Big o Boy
01-16-2007, 11:00 PM
Nice work, even for an off day. My ME Upper day this week was the suck, also. Seems like everyone's getting a case of the ass.

WillKuenzel
01-17-2007, 03:21 PM
BoB: I hope its just a one day occurrence, for all of us.

1/17/07
ME deadlift:

warmup:
complexes...

rack deads:
135x5
225x3
315x3
405x3
455x3
545x1

reverse band rack deads:
(used the average band)
5.5platesx3
6.5platesx3
7.5platesx2
8platesx1 (sloppy and would have gotten red lighted)

Just rack deads to get the feel of much heavier weight. Weight at the top was probably slightly less as the bands still had just a little tension left on the them. Form was decent until the last 2 sets. We'll see how this goes.

WillKuenzel
01-19-2007, 01:32 PM
After kind of thinking about it, my last upper ME day was hampered by my previous DE upper day. I think all the band work fried my CNS. That's what I'll blame it on at least. I went lighter on the actual bench motion today but still did some heavy lockouts, so next ME upper day I hope to back it down a bit and do more of a RE day for it. I'll do another relatively difficult DE day next week as well, do a bit of a deload and then come back hard with the ME work. At least that's the plan but we all know how I follow plans. Simply put, I don't.

1/19/07
DE upper:

warmup:
Didn't really do what I wanted to do but did something. Better than nothing.

bench:
barx10
95x10
135x3
185x3 (3 sets, 3 different grips)
185x2 (3 sets, 3 different grips)

rack presses:
225x3
315x3
365x3
405x1 (CG)
455x1 (MG)
495x1 (comp. grip)

face pulls:
80x12 (3 sets)

windshield wipers:
3 sets of a few

bubka's:
3 sets of a few
(its a pole vaulting drill, its a hanging leg raise to a complete inversion, shoulders back and looking completely back and down)

hang snatches:
barx3
95x2
135x2
135x1 (a few sets)

Isaac left me so I didn't know when to stop. I figure that it probably couldn't hurt me though. I haven't really been doing a whole lot of volume for anything lately anyway.

RuLess
01-21-2007, 04:18 PM
sick sessions home.. how much u weighin now adays??

Chubrock
01-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Nice job Wilma. Ya think you're getting any negative side effects from throwing in some heavy work with your DE work? I found that I tended to burn out when I mixed heavy assistance with my DE work. Also, I talked to Isaac about coming down the first week in March since that is my spring break. Any date in particular that would be better for you? I really want to get a session or two in with ya'll so I can learn something.

WillKuenzel
01-22-2007, 03:24 PM
RuLess: Thanks. I'm tinkering around 220lbs. I've not really done much lately to try and push my weight as I just haven't had the drive or determination to eat that much. Even thinking about how much it takes to get me to gain weight isn't fun. Its coming though. Its coming.

Andrew: I'm not getting any negative effects when I plan for it. Like I mentioned in my last post, its having some effect on my ME work but I'm not worried about. When I let the heavy accessory work slide a bit my ME work will pick back up. Its not really burning out but a trade off as to what's important. Right now my DE work isn't as important as I'm making it out to be so I'm going to let it slide a bit and get back to the heavy heavy ME work.

At this point any date early in March is good. You just let me know and I'll be around. I'll try to plan my schedule well enough to get plenty of time. At this point no day is really any better or worse than any other. Being my own boss (or pretty much) things are very flexible.

1/20/06
DE lower:

warmups:
same old, same old...

squats:
barx10
95x3
135x3
135+choked averagesx2 (6 sets)

sumo deads:
135x3
225x3
315x2
405x2
455x1
495x1 (in squat suit)
495x3
405x2 (3 sets in suit)

The suit felt good. Deads felt okay. I've got hammer them some more. I've got all kinds of drive to do my lower workouts but none for my upper workouts.

1/22/06
ME upper:

warmups:
some crap and more crap...

bench:
barx10
95x10
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x3
315x1
315x3 (off 3 board)
345x3 (again)
365x1 (again)
385x0 (***** me)

Again, the DE days I think are killing me or at least hurting these workouts. I think that its good that they're going good but I think right now the ME work is more important. I haven't hit a PR in several weeks, so its time to turn it around. Less DE work this Friday and Saturday and more ME work next week.

galileo
01-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Workouts look good. You should jump online and say hello once every year or so.

Can'tstopnow
01-22-2007, 04:17 PM
This journal bleeds intensity, superb lifts for 220lbs.

WillKuenzel
01-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Gal: LOL, I haven't done that this year yet, but the year is young.

CSN: Not quite enough intensity though, but thanks.

1/23/07
Upper accessory:

warmups:
complexes...

jerk press:
barx10
95x8
135x5
165x3
185x2
205x2
225x1
245x1
The last one I just muscled up without even using the drop into split stance. I haven't jerked 245 in a very long time and my best is 295. I never quite got 300 but was close.

standing military press:
135x8 (3 sets)

bench grip pulldowns to lower sternum:
90x10
105x10
120x10
135x10
150x10
165x10
180x10
195x10
210x10
225x15
These were mixed in with above sets here and there.

Chubrock
01-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Nice past sessions Wilma. Isaac and I had talked a bit about doing some type of OH pressing in order to get me out of the rut I was in with my benching. Not sure if that was your goal with the PJs but was pretty interesting to see you throw them in. How much dip are you getting before the initial push? I tend to dip pretty good at lower weights and then get more shallow as the weight gets heavier, which obviously doesn't help out how much I can PP.

Sidior
01-24-2007, 09:28 AM
Strong as always will. Nice jerk press, why the sudden addition of OH work again?

WillKuenzel
01-25-2007, 05:37 AM
Chub and Sid: The OH was more of a coincidence than anything. Just felt like doing some. I don't dip much when doing them. I focus more on dropping underneath and get quickly into the split stance. I'll just bend my knees and unlock my hips but that's about it. Either with little weight or as it gets heavier. I use it more for speed development than really OH pressing strength. I'll do the strict militaries more for the pressing aspect.

1/25/06
ME lower:
Twas a day of failures... but the good kind.

warmups:
complexes and dynamic mobility...

squat:
barx10
95x10
135x5
225x3
365x3 (w/ briefs)
455x3 (w/ briefs)
495x2 (ditto)
545x1 (ditto)
565xnothing (buried)
Didn't try as hard on the last set as I should have but my right knee started to buckle just a little bit and didn't feel like trying to overcompensate for that.

deadlifts:
135x2 (one-handed in each hand)
225x2 (regular sumo)
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1 (in suit)
545x1 (2 sets)
565xjust above the knees
405x8 (raw, conventional)
Pretty much just lost all form on 565 and didn't have anything left. This was about 2 hours into the workout. Amazing how so little work can take me so long.

After Tuesday and yesterday, everything but my chest hurts. Lower back is fried. Lats are sore as hell from all the damn pulldowns and my legs feel like they have just about had it. Slept much better last night for the first time in a very very long time. Hopefully its a sign of things to come.

I should get my bench shirt in the next couple of days. Hopefully I'll have enough time to get some decent work in it before the meet. If all goes well, I'm looking to open with 450 on the bench and 565 on the deadlift and just move up from there. Lofty goals but since its only a push/pull, who cares?

Big o Boy
01-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Heavy lower day man. We're not worthy... We're not worthy... haha. Were the deads all sumo? I saw you noted sumo at the top, but I wasn't sure if you switched back to conventional after that. Just wondering what type lifter you are.

Tear up that push/pull. Might as well go all out.

Bob
01-25-2007, 07:07 AM
Awesome ME day HY!!
I thought I was the only WBB'er who had 90-120 minute workouts... everyone always says they are out in 45 mins.. lol
My old bones need more rest between sets.. I'm glad youngsters do too...

WillKuenzel
01-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Were the deads all sumo? I saw you noted sumo at the top, but I wasn't sure if you switched back to conventional after that. Just wondering what type lifter you are.I lift mainly sumo and always pull sumo in competition. I did pull the last set of 405 conventional. Glad you mentioned it so I could go back and edit it.

Awesome ME day HY!!
I thought I was the only WBB'er who had 90-120 minute workouts... everyone always says they are out in 45 mins.. lol
My old bones need more rest between sets.. I'm glad youngsters do too...Thanks! I normally am in and out relatively quickly just due to time constraints but had plenty of time yesterday and went all out. I find that I have better workouts when I'm not rushed and can wait until I feel ready to do the next set. I have pretty decent stamina and endurance, muscle wise at least but it takes a bit longer for my CNS to recover from one set to next. Especially when I'm going heavier.

KevinStarke
01-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Real strong max effort work man. I love squatting and pulling on the same day.

Chubrock
01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Very nice session Will. I expect you and Isaac to teach me out to squat or pull or whatever the hell we decide to do when I come down.

Bohizzle
01-25-2007, 10:43 PM
those are some heavy weights, what are u hoping to hit with ur third lifts at the push pull?

Andrew

Chubrock
01-26-2007, 09:42 AM
How does March 9 and 10th look? If it's good for you and Isaac, I may drive down on Friday and get a session and then try and get another in on Saturday with ya'll. I don't know when ya'll lift however, so if you'd rather me drive down during that week, I can do that. My spring break begins the 3rd of March.

ectx
01-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Hey ugly, when's your next meet? And why'd you do bubkas? for ****s and giggles? Just curious.

WillKuenzel
01-26-2007, 12:17 PM
Real strong max effort work man. I love squatting and pulling on the same day.I like doing it but generally don't do it heavy on the same day. It really doesn't work out real well for me the next day as I'm hurting pretty good today.

Very nice session Will. I expect you and Isaac to teach me out to squat or pull or whatever the hell we decide to do when I come down.LOL, we can do both. There's tips that both of us have used that can help anybody.

those are some heavy weights, what are u hoping to hit with ur third lifts at the push pull? Not real sure actually. It'll have to depend on how my openers go and as long as I make my openers. Generally the third lift is an all out, gut-wrenching, balls-to-the-wall, hail mary type attempt. If things go well, expect my third attempt to be something stupid.

How does March 9 and 10th look? If it's good for you and Isaac, I may drive down on Friday and get a session and then try and get another in on Saturday with ya'll. I don't know when ya'll lift however, so if you'd rather me drive down during that week, I can do that. My spring break begins the 3rd of March.Friday and Saturday work real well for me. I typically get done very early on Friday's and don't have anything going on Saturdays unless the wife has plans for me. So far things are looking clear. I'll check the wife's schedule to double check but unless Isaac has any objections the weekend is the best time for me.

Hey ugly, when's your next meet? And why'd you do bubkas? for ****s and giggles? Just curious.The next meet right now is scheduled for February 24th. I'm doing a local APF push/pull meet. Got a call from the meet coordinator letting me know he got my application. So I'm set.

WillKuenzel
01-26-2007, 03:19 PM
And why'd you do bubkas? for ****s and giggles? Just curious.Missed this part, sorry. I'm helping out at the high school with their pole vaulters, so I figure I should be able to walk it and not just talk it. I'm actually taking a few jumps with them from time to time. They don't have a pole big enough for me to use but I'm holding low on a pole and getting down the runway. I figure a few sprints here and there won't kill me. It might maim me pretty good but I'll live. I'm also trying to recapture some of my earlier years where I was more fluid and skillful, not the hunky hulky mess of beautiful man meat that I am today. Plus its just a good overall ab and shoulder exercise.

WillKuenzel
01-29-2007, 07:29 AM
1/27/06
everything...:

warmups:
Don't remember but I do remember doing something.

bench press:
barx10
95x10
135x5
185x3
225x3
275x2
315x1 (add shirt)
365x1
405x1
435xmiss (2 sets)
Got the shirt on tight and bellied up good to the bar but just couldn't get 435 to touch. I think I'm going to have to hit 365 or 405 with the 2 and 3 boards for a week or 2 to really find out where the groove is exactly, and learn my timing for the shirt. I had the hardest time staying tight and pulling the bar down where it needed to be. I was fighting the shirt the whole way down in keeping in line. I'll be able to get a lot out of this shirt if I can get it broken in and find the groove.

sumo deads:
135x3
225x2
315x2
405x1
405x1 (in suit)
455x1 (3 sets in suit)
Being that today was supposed to be DE deadlift I had to do something with it. I'm going to practice more with pulling in the suit to try and get the hang of it. I'm trying a couple different approaches, one I'm really liking so far.

So far in the suit, I've tried:
1) Descending in position in the suit. This is tough in that I have to maintain form and push against the suit all the way down and then grab the bar and pull just a bit more after pulling myself down through the suit's path. The good thing though is that if I can do it properly I get a good deal of spring initially out of the suit. The problem being that after trying to get down there and in position, I'm finding that I don't have the endurance to maintain my form through a proper 1RM. Its also very difficult to keep things tight while getting my hands adjusted and get an even grip. By this time I'm completely out of air and start to loosen up. Getting it all done quicker will make this strong but it just seems almost too much.
2) Getting in my stance, getting my grip and then pulling myself down into position and tightening as I go. This situation is easier to pull from but easier for my form to be even worse than it is. The biggest problem here is that its even harder to push the suit into position from the down position. From the top, you can sit back a lot easier and get the suit situated much easier. From the bottom and trying to get adjusted its much more difficult to get the suit pulled down and then get the upper back tight. But if the timing is done well, its easy to pull back and get the bar moving. I'm getting lots of pop off the bottom but my problem isn't getting it to leave the floor its locking it out.

So regardless of either my biggest concern is locking out the weight. You'd think that with the weight I can do on rack deads, my lockout wouldn't be an issue, but again, I've gotten 600 up and just over my knees but I'm in such a bad position as not to be able to lock it out. Hips are forward, shoulders are rounded and I can't get it back. I'm looking for whatever way I can to put me in the best position at lockout. That's where I need the help.

Chubrock
01-29-2007, 08:06 AM
When did you get your suit and shirt in? Sounds like the shirt is going to give you quite a bit once you find the groove. Have you talked to Isaac? I haven't talked to him on AIM about the dates I threw up there.

WillKuenzel
01-29-2007, 08:20 AM
I'm just using my Metal Squatter for deadlifting. I've had it since September (maybe). The bench shirt I got in on Friday. It was an exchange for a shirt I got about 2 weeks ago that was too small. I've got a lot of work to do in the shirt before I get very much out of it.

I haven't talk to Isaac about the dates but I don't see any reason why they'd be a problem at the moment. Of course I haven't confirmed them with my wife so its untelling what's really going on those days. ;)

Sidior
01-29-2007, 11:30 AM
You touched with 405 but not 435, did you hit the 405 out of the groove or something? Looking real strong either way man.

WillKuenzel
01-29-2007, 05:18 PM
The 405 was real ugly but the shirt was on fairly loose and I flat-backed it. I maintained a better arch and kept my upper back tighter (still wasn't as tight as it should have been) for 435. I got to a certain point and just struggled with it before trying to press it up. I still haven't found the groove, I don't believe. We got the shirt on much tighter for the 435 attempt so I think that made the difference in it touching and not.

Big o Boy
01-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Great benching bro... what do you think your raw/equipment pound difference is on the bench with 405? There's no question you'll get it figured out and bust new PRs soon.

WillKuenzel
04-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Wow. I might keep this updated I might not. I'm very slack about posting my workouts of late just because. Here's about a week or so worth of workouts.

4-11-07
bentover rows: 135x10, 225x10, 315x3, 315x3
SS w/ pullups: bwx5, bwx3, +35x3, +35x3

4-12-07
squats: 135x3, 205x3, 275x3, 315x3
w/ suit (straps down) 405x3, 455x3
(straps up) 505x3
RDL's: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 365x5

4-13-07
bench: 135+dm+dmmx3
(6-8 sets alternating between CG and WG)
pulldowns (reverse bench setup with just bar): 2light band on each side
3 sets of 12

4-14-07
squats: 135x2, 225x2, 315x2
w/ briefs: 315+CLx2, 315+2CLx2, 315+CAx2
sumo deads (#1 rack position, about 3-4" off the floor)
135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 435x3, 505x3

4-16-07
floor press: 135x3, 225x3, 315x1(in shirt), 385x1(in shirt, didn't touch)
jerk press: 135x3, 165x3, 185x3, 3

4-17-07
squats:
135x3, 225x3
w/ briefs: 315x3, 365x3, 365+CBluesx3, 365+CB+CAx3

Bohizzle
04-17-2007, 02:14 PM
u still work out? :hide: haha, workouts are looking solid, keep up the good work. So when can we be expecting elite from you? when's the next meet?

Andrew

Big o Boy
04-17-2007, 07:37 PM
there he is... :D Workouts definitely look solid. Squatting looks like it's really taking off for ya. Sweet shirted floor presses, also.

Sidior
04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
Post more often! Looking strong as ever.

Validus
04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Wow. I might keep this updated I might not. I'm very slack about posting my workouts of late just because. Here's about a week or so worth of workouts.

4-11-07
bentover rows: 135x10, 225x10, 315x3, 315x3
SS w/ pullups: bwx5, bwx3, +35x3, +35x3

WOW those rows are INTENSE! Very strong lifts, keep it up.

WillKuenzel
04-18-2007, 05:10 PM
BoHizzy: I don't really workout anymore. It's more just hanging out in my garage. No meets planned anytime soon.

BoB: Squats have gotten alot better. Here recently I've had another one of those little epiphanies that come with training every so often. I'm much more stable and comfortable, so lets hope the upward trend continues.

Sid: I'll see if I can remember to post. It's a challenge.

Val: Not as intense as they used to be. This used to be a much better movement for me.

4-18-07:
rack deads from #1:
135x4, 225x4, 315x4, 4 (2 reps conv. and 2 sumo)
ghetto reverse hypers:
bwx10,10,10 (not really all that great but something)
hanging situps w/ grav boots:
bwx10, 10, 10 or something like that

Got to work on them abs for the summer.

bill
04-18-2007, 06:35 PM
HY what do you weigh these days? Do you still have visible abs? I'm sure you do lol

WillKuenzel
04-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Weight today was 225lbs. I have some barely visible abs left. I've cleaned my diet up slightly to remedy this. Meaning I've replaced the daily sleeve of Oreo's for a protein shake with chocolate syrup. ;)

No workout today. I found out that one of the moles I had removed a month or so ago was basil. So I had to go back in to the dermatologist and have more of it removed and now I've got a nice 4" gash up my back and some stitches to go along with it. I do plan on doing something tomorrow but I'm sure that whatever I do will be limited to what I feel I can get away with without popping the stitches. It will probably consist of mostly some belt squat work or lunges.

WillKuenzel
04-23-2007, 07:17 AM
4-20
raw squats:
135x3, 225x3, 275x2 (several sets)
I think that was all really

4-21
GM w/ doubled mini's set up high and choked monster mini's around the bottom:
95x3 (8-10 sets, with a few reps of squats tossed in for good measure)
military press (same set up as GM's)
95x6 (5 sets)
standing ab work:
70-80lbs off the lat pulldown for 12-20 reps (5-8 sets, don't remember)

I haven't popped one of the stitches yet, so I'm doing good. Or bad, depending on how you look at it. Scars are cool.

Sidior
04-23-2007, 09:28 AM
You following a set routine anymore or just doing what you feel like? Also have you manage to hit depth in that metal squatter yet?

WillKuenzel
04-23-2007, 03:57 PM
No real routine. It typically looks like this though when everything is going well:
Sunday: rest, because I said so...
Monday: ME upper
Tuesday: upper accessory/supplemental
Wednesday: ME lower
Thursday: lower supplemental
Friday: upper DE/accessory
Saturday: lower DE/accessory

Right now with the stitches, I'm holding off on doing any real upper body work and probably shouldn't be doing half the lower body work that I am.

I haven't hit depth in the Ace briefs/Pro squatter combo, but in the squatter itself I've hit depth. I actually think that until I squat over 700 the combo won't work. I have a feeling that I might be good for 600 in just the briefs, which is probably what I'll do next meet.

4-23
squats:
135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 385+CAx2, 385+CA+CBx2
Blue bands equal lots of tension.
split jerk stance OH pressing:
135x5, 165x3, 185x2, 205x2

Stumprrp
04-23-2007, 04:09 PM
good stuff will, do you like lifting so frequently?

bill
04-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Thats o plenty of days in the gym.

TommyBoy
04-23-2007, 04:48 PM
Holy Sh** dude....you did floor press in your shirt?? How did you get back up?

WillKuenzel
04-25-2007, 02:30 PM
Stump: I'd rather lift frequently than not. I find that I can do more in the long run and my workouts are much more productive.

Bill: It's a few yeah but now that I workout at home it's no big deal.

Tommy: I tried floor presses in my shirt. I didn't turn out real well and I probably won't be doing it again.

4-25-07
squats (parabouts)
135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x3, 435x3 (used belt on last few)
banded belt squats
lightsx10, 10, 10
grav boot situps SS w/ spread eagle situps
bwx5 SS w/ bwx10 (3 sets)

Didn't feel like working out yesterday so I didn't. That's the good thing about accessory or supplemental work as it's not always necessary or required.

bill
04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Good job reminded me I "should" do some ab work.

WillKuenzel
04-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Bill: There's a lot of things we should be doing but that's not always what we're doing. ;)

4-26
bench
95x3, 135x3, 135+DmMx3, 135+DM+DmMx3 x5sets
pullups
bwx8, bwx10, bwx12

I figure I'd finally post a picture of the home setup. I'll run down the list of things briefly

Elite rack w/ weight-tree attachment
Texas power bar
~700lbs of weights
bands (blues, greens, 2 sets of light, minis and monster minis)
weight releasers
dip belt
pair of Spud Inc. belt straps
crappy adjustable bench (next purchase will be a good one)
Gold's gym smith/lat pulldown/low row machine

Chubrock
04-27-2007, 07:33 AM
Looks good Wilma. I gotta get down there this summer to train a bit.

Stumprrp
04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
great squats and fine looking home setup

Big o Boy
04-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Nice looking stuff HY. Do you have plenty of DBs to go with it? Quick bench session looked good. That's quite a bit of tension.

bill
04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice little setup

WillKuenzel
04-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Chubs: I will warn you, it'll be hot hot down here and in there this summer.

Stump: Thanks, on both accounts.

BoB: No DB's yet. I haven't really found myself needing them yet. I'm not really convinced that they're completely necessary yet to spend the money on.

Bill: Thanks, man!

4-27-07:
squats:
135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3 (added briefs), 495x1, 545x1 x2
ghetto hypers:
bwx12 x3
I got a video of the 2nd set of 545 and of the ghetto hypers that I'll try to get up in the next day or 2.

I went with some others to our state NSCA clinic this past weekend. Got a few good ideas and some topics to research but never really learned anything. It was worth it but still just a little disappointing as it seemed that they had to dummy down some of the information for everybody else and those of us that knew what the hell was going on were kind of bored. I'm going to toy around with some new ideas soon, so hopefully things will look a little different .

bill
04-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Solid squats, briefs + wraps?? or no wraps regardless good stuff

Sidior
04-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Real nice setup and that is one sexy ass rack. Squatting looking strong as well, especially for just briefs. How was the speed of the 545 sets? Any particular reason you didnt up the weight after the first one?

TwiloMike
04-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Nice squatting! And definitely a nice looking home gym setup. :thumbup:

Jaybird88
04-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Squats look mighty! Keep it up!

WillKuenzel
04-30-2007, 02:00 PM
Bill: No wraps as I hate them. I'll use them rarely when my knees are feeling especially brittle but otherwise, no wraps.

Sid: I'll post a video of the 2nd set of 545 soon. It was decent but could certainly always be faster. I still haven't gotten the stitches taken out of my back and I'm just a little concerned with squatting anything heavier for fear of popping one off. I get them out Wednesday so I'm hoping things will pick up from there.

Twilo: Well, hello and thank ye kindly, on both accounts. The squats, like the gym are in a continuous state of improvement.

JayBird: Thanks!

WillKuenzel
04-30-2007, 03:29 PM
4-30-07
bench (illegal wides):
135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x5
high incline bench:
135x5, 185x5 x3sets
and some pullups

video of the 2nd set of 545 squat from Friday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0_Q5as4-Bc

video of ghetto reverse hypers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KppFmSbIig

bill
04-30-2007, 06:48 PM
like the reverse hyper, I may need to find a way of doing something similiar. Nice squat also

cphafner
04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
squats are looking real strong will.

Chubrock
04-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Sooo when might be a good time for me to come down and workout?

WillKuenzel
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Bill: A high rack, a squat bar and some padding is all you need. It's not perfect but it works to a certain extent.

Conor: Progressing at least. That's about the only thing with them I'm happy with at the moment.

Chubs: LOL, couldn't rightly tell you. My wife knows the schedule better than me. We're pretty busy just about every weekend though. Just keep on me and I'm sure they'll be a good weekend at some point.

5-1-07
squats:
135x5, 185x3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3 w/ briefs, 495x3, 525x3 (briefs and belt only)
front squats:
135x5 x3
grav boot situps:
bwx10 x2

Sidior
05-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Squat looked nice and solid, cool reverse hyper setup.

Isaac Wilkins
05-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Jesus. Three good workouts in a row. We'd better slow down.

Lones Green
05-02-2007, 01:22 PM
wow, that 545 squat looked good. nice stance, nice and wide.

WillKuenzel
05-02-2007, 01:53 PM
Sid: Thanks. The reverse hypers aren't really for strength or anything just more to do a dynamic stretch for the glutes and lower back. It makes me feel good. If I can get a board or 2, I'll probably start adding some bands to it soon.

Isaac: Yeah, this has been getting out of hand.

Xedge: It was decent. I would probably like to see it a few inches deeper but I'm working on that.

Taken from Isaac's journal:

Tuesday: GPP, 11:45am, The Compound 1.0

Sled Drag: 2plates x 300 feet (estimate), 2plates x 300 feet
Sand Bag Over Shoulder Carry: 70 lb bag x 600 feet (half over right shoulder, half over left)
Sledgehammer Swings on Tire (12 lb sledge): x10 Right, x10 Left
Backward Sled Drag: 1 plate x 300 feet

Followed by carbing up.

I whined through this workout like a little bitch. I will say that I didn't puke but was worried that I might before we started and through most of it. This is one of those things that I'll do because I know I need to but I'll be damned if I'll be happy about it.

TwiloMike
05-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Nice squats there. Can you post a vid of the grav. boots situps? I've never really seen them done.

Bruteman
05-03-2007, 08:13 AM
LOL, at least you don't have to run for your conditioning. You get to move weight around. What more needs to be done to make it bearable for you?

Chubrock
05-03-2007, 08:23 AM
Haha stop being a bitch Will. You know GPP is going to be good for both you and Isaac.

WillKuenzel
05-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Mike: It's coming.

Brute: It'll never be bearable. That's why I whine.

Chubs: LOL, gain about 70lbs and do your conditioning in 90 degree heat with a 90% humidity and tell me you won't bitch a little either. ;)

5-3-07:
Bench:
135x5, 135+DmMx5, 135+DmM+CDM**x5, x2sets
135+DmM+CDM**x5 off 2 board
135+DmM+CDM**x5 off 3 board
**CDM = choked doubled mini's

pullups:
bwx6, bwx6, +35x6, +35x6
+90xnegative

ab circuit twice through, checkout Isaac's journal if you want those details
Abs bore me.

hanging situps:
bw x a few
video of these (no comments on the paleness):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ZwTV7hrEM

Chubrock
05-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I think you should install some tanning lights in the gym....haha couldn't resist.

cphafner
05-03-2007, 08:42 PM
you love your crazy ab work.

WillKuenzel
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Chubs: Sometimes resisting is a good thing. ;)

Conor: Eh, it keeps me company on lonely nights.

5-4-07
dynamic warmup:
- I've been doing it, just not saying.
squats:
- 135x3, 225x2, 365x2 x4-5sets (done with suit on but straps down, I thought that it would be less material than the briefs but I forgot that my suit is tighter, should have just used my briefs)
RDL's:
135x6, 225x6, 315x6, 405x6 x2 (Good times)
OH squats:
some for a few (The last set was the only one worth a damn. Weight was low but I was hurting.)
reverse hypers:
bw x 10 or so

I also spent some time hanging upside down with the grav boots. Decompression makes me feel good.

Have a good weekend, folks!

Big o Boy
05-04-2007, 06:50 PM
That's some heavy dynamic work, Will. The RDL's look rough as hell.

and YOU have a great weekend... I know I will.

WillKuenzel
05-08-2007, 06:39 AM
BoB: The squat stuff wasn't really all that heavy. The suit did too much but everything was fast. Again, wish I had stayed with the briefs.

5-07-07
ME bench:

bench: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 255x3, 285x5
high incline bench: 135x5, 205x5 x3sets
body rows: bwx10 x3sets

I think we need more tricep work and pulling. Isaac, thoughts?

Chubrock
05-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Sooo whatever happened to three sets over 90%? Also do you have any good ideas for decoompressing the spine? I don't really have access to any gravity boots. I find that between the lifting and then sitting down all day, my back goes to feeling like absolute ****. Just feels like there is a weight sitting in my back. About the only thing I've found that helps is to lay on the floor with my legs bent and up on the bed so that my calves are along the top of the mattress and my hamstrings are against the side and frame. Any thoughts?

Sidior
05-08-2007, 11:00 AM
You guys keep it short and sweet eh. Nice workout.

WillKuenzel
05-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Chubs: 3 sets of 90% is a tool in the tool box. It just happens to be a tool that doesn't work with this particular project. As for the decompressing, you can try some band traction. I like to loop a monster band around the top of the squat rack and the other end under my armpits behind my back. Just sitting, kneeling, lunging, etc. in that position works wonders. The ghetto hypers (
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KppFmSbIig) too would be a good idea.

Sid: Meat and potatoes, my friend. Meat and potatoes.

5-8-07
ME lower:

raw squats:
135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x3, 455x3
Just belt from 275 and up.

front squats:
155x5 x3sets

grav boot situps:
bwx10 x3sets

cphafner
05-08-2007, 08:49 PM
your raw squat strength has come a long way.

Sidior
05-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Wow really impressive squatting, strong stuff.

WillKuenzel
05-10-2007, 05:53 AM
Conor: Since switching to more of a powerlifting style, I've definitely noticed a big increase. I will admit that all the reps probably didn't break parallel. They might have been right at it but it still feels like I'm squatting a bit high. We'll find out for sure at the next meet, whenever that might be.

Sid: Thanks, man!

5-9-07
GPP:

sled dragging:
1plate x 600ft.
2plates x 600ft.

complexes:
conventional deadlift - hang cleans - front squats - push press
95x5 (for all exercises) x3sets

walking the dog:
about 6 trips outside, housebreaking sucks

Sidior
05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Nice GPP stuff. Complexes look interesting. I am away on vacation next week and I may try something like that out for an active recovery day.

Lones Green
05-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Conor: Since switching to more of a powerlifting style, I've definitely noticed a big increase. I will admit that all the reps probably didn't break parallel. They might have been right at it but it still feels like I'm squatting a bit high. We'll find out for sure at the next meet, whenever that might be.

Sid: Thanks, man!

5-9-07
GPP:

sled dragging:
1plate x 600ft.
2plates x 600ft.

complexes:
conventional deadlift - hang cleans - front squats - push press
95x5 (for all exercises) x3sets

walking the dog:
about 6 trips outside, housebreaking sucks

man i hear you on walking the dog. i have a 6 month old bulldog, he's getting better at it now, but it used to suck so bad taking him out 10 times a day.

Bruteman
05-14-2007, 06:59 AM
Chubs: 3 sets of 90% is a tool in the tool box. It just happens to be a tool that doesn't work with this particular project.

What is the "project" at the moment? Also, what is the rule when working up to a max triple? Is there a % you're suppose to work up to?

WillKuenzel
05-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Sid: They're good for either GPP if tossed in with other stuff or active recovery by themselves.

LXE: I'm still taking mine out all the time. After playing, after eating, after napping, which is to say all the time.

Brute: The current project is a bit of endurance and conditioning with the strength, just not purely strength like 3 at or above 90% would mean. No real rule, per se, on working up to a 3RM. It's going to be dependent on the person and their past experience and training knowledge.

5-12-07
DE squat:

squats:
135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x2
w/ briefs: 365+CLx2 x6sets

RDL's:
135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 405x5, 5, 6

ab work:
blah by blahbee blah

5-14-07
ME upper:

illegal wide bench:
135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x3

high incline bench:
225x5 x3sets

pullups:
bwx5
+45x5
+90x1 and then one long negative

That's it.

Chubrock
05-14-2007, 06:37 PM
Sick RDLs Wilma. Nice job man.

WillKuenzel
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Chubs: Thanks!

5-16-07
ME lower:

squats:
135x3, 185x3, 225x3
w/ briefs: 315x3, 405x3, 495x3, 565x1
Tried for 3 on 565 but that didn't happen.

front squats:
175x5 x3sets

Done.

Chris Rodgers
05-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Nice lifting here. Did you miss on the reps with 565 or just rack it before a disaster took place?

And those heavy illegal wides don't wreck your shoulders? I did them for a few weeks real light and I was getting bad pains. Took em out and things feel better.

Anthony
05-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Awesome squats, homeslice. Good to see you doing some GPP too. :D

WillKuenzel
05-16-2007, 05:25 PM
Chris: I failed on the 2nd rep. Got down, hit depth, started to come back up and just wasn't happening. I had taken too much time in between sets with my briefs on and I was just fatigued. The weight didn't feel that bad but just wasn't happening.

The illegal wides are tough but haven't caused too much havoc on my shoulders. I think they may have strained my pec minor last week but it's not really that wide. It's just a fingers width outside the rings. Shoulders are holding up fine but they've always been strong for me, luckily enough.

Anthony: LOL, I'm not happy to see it but I know it's needed. If it weren't for Isaac I wouldn't be doing it. Props go to him for the motivation to do it. I figure if he can do it, so can I. ;)

WillKuenzel
05-18-2007, 06:26 AM
5-17-07
DE upper:

bench:
95x5, 135x5, 185x2, 225x2 (6 sets, 3 different grips)
95+DMMx20 (medium grip)
95+DMMx20 (close grip)

banded pulldowns:
4 sets of 10

tricep pressdowns:
4 sets of 10

Clifford Gillmore
05-18-2007, 06:43 AM
An interesting take on the conjuative method here, shameful first post in here... Nice work.

WillKuenzel
05-18-2007, 05:17 PM
Risk: It's pretty much the most basic version of conjugate periodisation. I don't vary things up much but I'm a student of Siff's philosophy of it. I spend too much time with my nose in Supertraining.

5-18-07
DE lower:

squats:
135x3
135+CAx3, 225+CAx3
added briefs:
225+CA+CLx3, 275+CA+CLx3, 315+CA+CLx3
Wow, all these felt really easy.

That was it. I'll try to do some dynamic work and active recovery work tomorrow.

Next week was supposed to be a deload but this week ended up feeling more like one than it should have so I don't know that next will be one. I'm feeling pretty good at the end of the day today, so let's hope next week picks back up. I'm pleased with how well the workouts are going of late. We've had a few slackass sessions but the majority have been good and all have had some form of progress, so complaining should be kept to a minimal.

Have a good weekend, folks!

Chubrock
05-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Nice looking DE squats Wilma. Any idea when ya'll are going to squat or pull heavy again?

Clifford Gillmore
05-19-2007, 04:07 AM
I dip my fingers into supertraing from time to time, I'm not one that can take in everything at once.

Lights and average bands sounds fun, I'll be doing that in around 6 weeks with my 12 week band cycle. Nice session.

WillKuenzel
05-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Chubs: I probably will tomorrow or Wednesday. Isaac might deload with it, but I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Risk: Supertraining is that way. I've been dipping into it for long enough to get a good bit out of it. I've got a notebook full of notes from it. Good luck with the band cycle. They're loads of fun.

5-21-07
RE upper:

bench:
135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3

high incline:
135x5, 185x3, 230x5, 235x5
I would have done 2 sets of 235 but a five didn't make its way on one side of the bar. :p

Meant to do some pulling but got lazy.

**edit**
I added some pulling this evening at the gym in between clients. Managed the stack for a few. No straps and tight form. Back is finally starting to get a bit stronger.

Chubrock
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
You and Isaac got any time free in June?

WillKuenzel
05-21-2007, 06:53 PM
Andrew: We might. You'll have to give me the dates. We'll work something out, I promise.

Isaac Wilkins
05-22-2007, 04:55 AM
You and Isaac got any time free in June?

Yeah bro. Give us some idea of when and some notice and we'll figure it out.

WillKuenzel
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
5-22-07
ME lower:

reverse band squats:
monster mini's doubled at the top of the rack
135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 405x3, 495x3, 585x3
Added briefs on last 3 sets. Short and sweet for a "deloading" period.

Done.

WillKuenzel
05-23-2007, 04:16 PM
5-23-07
GPP:

sled work:
1 plate, 8 trips

Good little session just to keep things moving. I hate going but I actually don't mind doing it. It just takes everything I go to get me to go.