PDA

View Full Version : Too much sugar?

BFGUITAR
11-30-2006, 09:03 PM
I mix my shake with a good amount of orange juice. It just hit me now that I was drinking a rediculous amount of sugar.

I usually drink a shake like this after my workout. From what ive heard, its good to get some simple sugars in you afterwards (please correct me if im wrong). Should I switch to something with less sugar?

After blending it reads 2.75 cups on the blender (dont forget to consider the air bubbles made). Is this too much?

Brotherofiron
12-01-2006, 06:41 AM
I mix my shake with a good amount of orange juice. It just hit me now that I was drinking a rediculous amount of sugar.

I usually drink a shake like this after my workout. From what ive heard, its good to get some simple sugars in you afterwards (please correct me if im wrong). Should I switch to something with less sugar?

After blending it reads 2.75 cups on the blender (dont forget to consider the air bubbles made). Is this too much?

if you like it and it is working for you then dont stop...

are you putting creatine in your shakes? if so this sugar shake will in essence help the creatine be absorbed by your muscles. if you are not taking creatine then i really dont see the point in taking in this much sugar(2.5 cups, air bubbles or no air bubbles is alot of orange juice if you ask me). i would try mixing your shake with water or skim milk, it would if anything taste better and have much less sugar...

but then again thats just me...after all my big bro uses orange juice in his shakes, and he is much bigger than me!

RedSpikeyThing
12-01-2006, 09:33 AM
Sugar after working out is good. Fructose, which is found in fruits, is not ideal. I'm not enitrly sure why, I just know that sucrose = bad. The good sugars are simple glucose. That is why people by maltoxetrin, dextrose, etc. Instead of using orange juice, you could use Orange Gatorade and dextrose. Not quite the same flavour, but it would be pretty close.

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 09:33 AM

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274

Read that article. Scroll down to the part about sugar. It should have just about all the info you need, b/c the method you describe is not at all optimal.

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 09:35 AM
Sugar after working out is good. Fructose, which is found in fruits, is not ideal. I'm not enitrly sure why,.
That article I just posted will clear things up in general terms. I posted details pathways explaining why a while back if you are interested as well.

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 09:38 AM
if you like it and it is working for you then dont stop...

are you putting creatine in your shakes? if so this sugar shake will in essence help the creatine be absorbed by your muscles. if you are not taking creatine then i really dont see the point in taking in this much sugar!

Because it would replenish muscle glycogen.

However, This is also assuming the source is glucose, which orange juice primarily is not. This also makes you point about using orange juice to enhance creatine absorption wrong, because fructose metabolism does not stimulate insulin release from the pancreas.

RedSpikeyThing
12-01-2006, 09:52 AM
That article I just posted will clear things up in general terms. I posted details pathways explaining why a while back if you are interested as well.

I think I looked at those pathways, screamed like a girl, and turned my computer off. I might try again, though. Thanks!

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
I think I looked at those pathways, screamed like a girl, and turned my computer off. I might try again, though. Thanks!

As long as you've got the concept down, you can probably skip the pathways and save them for the nerds like me.

BFGUITAR
12-01-2006, 01:33 PM
So what do you reccommend I do?
Mix it with sugarwater? lol

arnoldsclone
12-01-2006, 01:41 PM

use frozen fruit instead, or honey, both aren't that bad glycemically.

Mercuryblade
12-01-2006, 01:42 PM
Don't worry about the amount of fructose in orange juice.
Worry about high fructose corn syrup.

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 01:54 PM
I don't think any of you guys read that artcile.

Or, if you did, you clearly don't understand it.

(except for RedSpikeyThing)

Keep in mind he's talking about using this shake postworkout.

Slim Schaedle
12-01-2006, 01:56 PM

Read the article

BFGUITAR
12-01-2006, 05:11 PM
I did read it
It said that fructose is not good post workout.

teaturtle
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
sometimes i eat a banana with my shake postworkout. im not sure its too bad, also heard it helps the liver. also has a lot of carbs.

motoko013
12-02-2006, 03:02 AM
according to the article....fructose is not necessarily terrible, just not as optimal as glucose....ie, dextrose or maltodextrin because
1 - creates insulin response
2 - fills up liver glycogen faster than fructose
3 - once liver glycogen is full, it goes to other tissues like muscles, ect