PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit Total

Anthony
12-02-2006, 08:20 PM
I know it will never happen, but I would love to see PL competitions move in this direction: Crossfit Total (http://www.crossfit.com/journal/library/52-2006_CFTotal.pdf)

bics56
12-03-2006, 08:29 AM
so basically replace BP with a standing shoulder press. I don't think it is a bad idea, but the shoulder press is not one of the "big 3". Typically one should be able to SP 2/3 of their BP. I could see maybe adding another class for crosss fit style power lifting or having totally separate cross fit meets all together.

Stumprrp
12-03-2006, 09:23 AM
looks cool, standing press is far superior to the bench IMO, works your tris shoulders and core way harder, bench just provides some chest hit, although i love bench too lol

RedSpikeyThing
12-03-2006, 09:29 AM
That or push press would be cool.

MixmasterNash
12-03-2006, 10:00 AM
It's a bit of a solution to a problem no one has. Except maybe people who suck at benching. :)

Isaac Wilkins
12-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Olympic lifting used to have a third lift and it was the press. Athletes ended up using a crazy backbend technique to turn it into an incline press, so they scrapped it.

Chris could probably tell you more about it.

Edit: Lol. I just read the article and Rippetoe gets into it. I should read before opening my mouth. ;)

Bob
12-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Yeah I thought that was a real interesting article too..
Although I do like the BP, I understand how the OH Press is more impressive and functional. I wish I could get my OH Press to be > 2/3s of my BP.. but I can't do so without making it into a Push Press. I need to work on that..

PS.. Anthony, I got this article in my monthly journal subscription to CF.. are the other articles also posted somewhere out there on CF? B/c I would hate to be paying for something that is free!! Or maybe just b/c this article is a "new" CF standard they put it into both places?

Goodwinm
12-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Mil Press for the win!

I would love to see the mil press in the big 3. or any contest with squat and deadlift.

But my big 3 would suck even more as I can probably only get close to 160lbs on a strict mil press.

kad
12-03-2006, 05:22 PM
It's a bit of a solution to a problem no one has. Except maybe people who suck at benching. :)

:hello:

Anthony
12-04-2006, 05:09 AM

Read the article for the reasoning, it makes sense ... not to mention bench causes more problems than it solves ... :hello:

bear, CF has been posting certain articles from the Journal for free, but not all of them. Check out the "cf journal" link on the left side of the main page.