PDA

View Full Version : brown rice seasoning?

xstalkrx
12-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I got some tuna and some brown rice. I'd like to mix tuna and rice together as a nice pre/post workout slop. Wondering what I can do to give this mixture some taste? What can I do to the rice?

I have like..hardly any cooking experience.

robinhood
12-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Black pepper?

Brotherofiron
12-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Black pepper?

Thats all i use...but it has to be fresh pepper...like the kind from a pepper mill...

RedSpikeyThing
12-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Google "brown rice tuna" and this came up. It looks pretty good. http://www.recipezaar.com/27279

teaturtle
12-21-2006, 10:14 AM
you can add vegetabble/chicken broth when you cook the rice. first time i tried it and it was SO good. :) the rice tasted awsome by itself lol

EvanH
12-21-2006, 10:32 AM
I hate the taste of brown rice. I usually just mix it with whatever I am eating it with and I can't taste it as much.

getfit
12-21-2006, 10:36 AM
brown rice with lentils boil it in a veggie broth.

manowar669
12-21-2006, 01:19 PM
you can add vegetabble/chicken broth when you cook the rice. first time i tried it and it was SO good. :) the rice tasted awsome by itself lol

I do this, then stir fry chicken breast in a skillet with garlic and Pam. Add the cooked rice to the skillet and stir fry, add some frozen broccoli and/or snow peas, cooked egg, peas, bean sprouts, carrot or whatever you like. Mix light (lower sodium) soy sauce, splenda, and a splash of cooking sherry. Pour over rice and stir fry until the "sauce" is into everthing. It's a healthier "chicken fried rice". It's yummy. Make a big batch, eat it for a week.

esailor
12-27-2006, 08:49 PM
For a single serving , In a shallow pan spray some nonfat cooking spray, toss in 2 or 3 sliced mushrooms, I really like baby portabellas, and cook on med to med high for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. You may need to cover. Then when the mushrooms are almost cooked I add in a table spoon of pine nuts or any nut you like however larger ones will need to be chopped. Nuts give a nice texture and taste. Lower the heat and watch out as nuts have a high fat content and burn easily. After one minute toss in a cup or so of cooked brown rice and heat it all up. When I add the rice I also toss in my fish that is pre cooked and crumbled. I like Mahi mahi. You could use any fish you like or even chicken or turkey. When the mixture is hot salt and pepper to taste.

I highly recommend a rice cooker. Rice is easy in these things. Just remember Double your liquid to rice. In other words 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. I sometimes add a cube of bulion or substitute a cup of chicken broth for a cup of h2o.

Pete

DaveDrewB
01-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I make Spanish (brown) Rice. Simply cook the rice, Throw in some onion powder, And Black pepper for the seasoning. After its darkened I throw in a cup of water and one can of Tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Once it boils cover it and let it simmer for 20-25 min. Depending on the servings!! Stir once, Serve hot and Enjoy! Yummm

stepto180
01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
chicken bullion cubes are really easy and make it much tastier

saleen01
03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
i have my own slop recipe

brown rice cooked in chicken broth
bbq breast
a table spoon of BBq sauce and some franks red hot

sometimes i'll even toss some tzatziki in there, sounds gross but really tastes awesome!!!!