PDA

View Full Version : Any ex-musicians here?

VikingWarlord
12-03-2006, 04:32 PM
I know we've got a bunch of players, but are there any of you that played for a long time, got fed up with the bull**** and gave up? Harsh reality and disillusionment have set in and I'm considering packing it in, selling all my gear (including my collection of studio gear) and just hanging it up for good.

Anyone been there?

Shane
12-03-2006, 05:09 PM
Are you talking about trying to make a successful career of it? I can't really relate to that. I've played in bands and done gigs but I always just did it because I loved doing it. I always knew making a career of it would be difficult. I know some guys that have done it and they make a lot of sacrifices for not much gain. The odds of making a decent sustainable living out of it are too slim and I didn't see much appeal in it when you could just play in a club for fun. And even if you do make it you still have to deal with the record industry. Any playing I do with other musicians or songs I create are just for my own enjoyment. Because of this I never get sick of the guitar.

VikingWarlord
12-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Are you talking about trying to make a successful career of it? I can't really relate to that. I've played in bands and done gigs but I always just did it because I loved doing it. I always knew making a career of it would be difficult. I know some guys that have done it and they make a lot of sacrifices for not much gain. The odds of making a decent sustainable living out of it are too slim and I didn't see much appeal in it when you could just play in a club for fun. And even if you do make it you still have to deal with the record industry. Any playing I do with other musicians or songs I create are just for my own enjoyment. Because of this I never get sick of the guitar.

Nah, I'm not looking to make a career of it. I'm just looking to play with people that are going to actually bother to...oh, I dunno...show up for band practice. My band's been on hiatus since about June since we can't find a drummer in this town and there's NO ONE else worth playing with. All the bands that are looking for bass players are ****ing terrible wannabe metalcore bands, craptastic hippy stuff, or I-IV-V classic rock cover bands full of 40 year olds.

Tired of the crap and it's not even fun anymore.

galileo
12-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Nah, I'm not looking to make a career of it. I'm just looking to play with people that are going to actually bother to...oh, I dunno...show up for band practice. My band's been on hiatus since about June since we can't find a drummer in this town and there's NO ONE else worth playing with. All the bands that are looking for bass players are ****ing terrible wannabe metalcore bands, craptastic hippy stuff, or I-IV-V classic rock cover bands full of 40 year olds.

Do it for yourself or don't do it at all.

By the way, if you're selling some gear, I am willing to consider purchasing anything you have so feel free to send me a list.

VikingWarlord
12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Do it for yourself or don't do it at all.

By the way, if you're selling some gear, I am willing to consider purchasing anything you have so feel free to send me a list.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to, but if I do, I'll keep it in mind.

I'm trying to do things on my own now, and it's just frustrating because I can't finish anything. Got a piano part done tonight for a song that's been sitting in my head for about 2 years now. I need to finish the damn lyrics and then finish recording it.

Maybe my attitude will change once I actually have something to show for the frustration.

Shane
12-03-2006, 08:35 PM

Oh ya, I've had those experiences. I hate it when people dont show up for band practice. Too bad you don't live around here man, bass players are in short supply and there are quite a few bands of all kinds.