PDA

View Full Version : What's the secret to keep from over-consuming certain vitamins

time2grown06
12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
and minerals which could be toxic, such as vitamin a,d, the b's, calcium and iron, for example. I take 2 multivitamins, opticean, and the vitamins and minerals I get from foods. Am I at risk for toxicity and what are the warning signs that you might be over-doing the vitamins and minerals the body stores?

RedSpikeyThing
12-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Not a great resource, but here's the wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_poisoning

It says that deaths in the US are rare, typically zero.

That question would be tough to say yes to because it takes a lot of vitamins and minerals to actually make you ill. From the little bit of research I did, it looks like you would have to try pretty hard to get poisoned.
How much do you weigh? If you are truly concerned, you could take 1 less multivitamin.

Raisecapital01
12-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Hmmm! Interesting I was wondering the same thing too. I read a lot about this in my nutrition class. :bang:

Max Thunder
12-06-2006, 09:17 PM
It's pretty hard to get toxic levels of minerals and vitamins. Usually if you get too much of a mineral, diarrhea happens. As long as you keep stuff in balance, such as balancing calcium and magnesium, you can get high amounts of these.

Vitamin wise, the water soluble are easily excreted in urine. Some can be toxic but it requires very very high level, most likely your multi doesn't have them. Fat-soluble tends to be more toxic, but multivitamins rarely include them in big amounts. They prefer to include the very cheap beta-carotene, which is not toxic because your body control its conversion to vitamin A. Vitamin D, most likely they don't put much. The RDA is very low for that vitamin and they're basing their dosages off that. You already get a lot of vitamin D whenever you tan, so the only common way to get vit D toxicity is to combine sun exposure with cod liver oil.

Some of them might have long term negative impacts though. Care should be taken with iron and copper supplementation, as both of them are heavy metals that the body doesn't handle as easily and can increase oxidative stress in too high amounts.

So in general you are pretty safe, although at your place I'd cut at least 1 multi and replace it with more meat, veggies or nuts.

Oh and the secret is: balance.

Vapour Trails
12-07-2006, 01:50 PM
The secret? Stop taking vitamins. If you diet is good you won't need them.

12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
The secret? Stop taking vitamins. If you diet is good you won't need them.

thats if you have a perfect diet 100% of the time which is very rare

i believe every person who is serious about thier healt should take a multi-vitamin

you dont need to cut back at all 2 a day wont hurt you unless it has unbeliveably high levels of certain vitamins which i doubt it does