Originally posted by Maki Riddington
Day 59

Tiered. Carbed up this weekend.
That's all.

Haha sweet update man.

Maki Riddington
07-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Day 60

2 months it's been now. My weight is hovering at 202-203.
I am not really focused with this diet but the fat is coming off.
My legs are really showing some nice cuts in them.
My arms are ok but my tummy is taking for ever. I can feel my top two abs and the middle ones are starting to come out. I have some pudge on my bottom ones and my obliques are soft.

One more month at this low cal diet and some cardio. I should be able to bring myself down to 195-93. Basically I'm eatin about 130-170 grams of protein a day, under 50 grams of fat and under a 150 grams of carbs. Very low cals, but it's working slowly.
I'm changing my training program as well.

I'm gonna start doing deads, push presses and power cleans.
I hate deadlifting with a passion though.

Mystic Eric
07-31-2002, 03:57 AM
Day 60

2 months it's been now. My weight is hovering at 202-203.
I am not really focused with this diet but the fat is coming off.
My legs are really showing some nice cuts in them.
My arms are ok but my tummy is taking for ever. I can feel my top two abs and the middle ones are starting to come out. I have some pudge on my bottom ones and my obliques are soft.

One more month at this low cal diet and some cardio. I should be able to bring myself down to 195-93. Basically I'm eatin about 130-170 grams of protein a day, under 50 grams of fat and under a 150 grams of carbs. Very low cals, but it's working slowly.
I'm changing my training program as well.

I'm gonna start doing deads, push presses and power cleans.
I hate deadlifting with a passion though.

With such low cals, do you think you're losing a lot of muscle along with that fat?

When are you gonna start bulking again man? Haha i see you're finally gonna do deads again. What kinda style?

Maki Riddington
07-31-2002, 07:51 AM
Day 61

It doesn't look like I've lost any muscle, but I'm sure I have lost a bit. Anytime someone diest they will lose some muscle. How much depends on their genetics and how they diet.

My bulkin will start mid September and end in mid December right before I leave for the home land (Japan). I will post more about my training split and nutrition during this time.

As for my Deads, I'll probably do conventional and sumo. I'll alternate each week.

Anyways, I had a decent chest workout last night.
If you've been following me I have started to bench seriously again since my form is piss poor awful.

This is what last nights workout looked like:

135x4
185x4
205x4
225x4
240x4
225x4
205x4
185x4
135x25 (ouch)

My form was ok but I didn't rest (-2 minutes) enough between sets so my form started to go downhill towards the end.
I really need to work on acelerating the bar upwards while driving my shoulder blades togethr and pushing them against the bench. I think that's why I stall at the bottom. Plus I have programmed myself to overide my stretch reflex so I slow the bar down quite a bit as I go from lowering the bar to pushing it up.
Ultimately, I would like to be able to push 315 for reps. That has been my ultimate goal for i don't know how long. Somany times I've caught myself cursing the meatheads at the gym who put this weight up like it's nothing. It really ticks me off how easy it is for them or should I say how easy they make it look. Hey, we all start somewhere and I have always known that my chest is my weakest area so I am very glad I can do what I can do.
If anyone has any comments I would love to hear them.

I did one set of triceps to failure and called it quits. I came home and gorged on roti, nan, lamb curry and butter chicken. MMMMMMM!!
Today I will do push presses, power cleans, some more triceps and cable lateral raises.
Have a great day everyone!!!!

Maki Riddington
08-06-2002, 10:42 PM
Day 67

Weight: 204.6
Haven't worked out for a week nor eaten properly. It feels great!
Had a light bicep and back workout.
Not much else to say.

I'm gonna take it easy till september 15. then I'm gonna start hitting the weights hardcore.

Maki Riddington
08-07-2002, 08:22 AM
Here's a pic of my back at 215. It doesn't look all that wide because I'm not flexing properly, but it's one of my best bodyparts. I just have to learn how to pose properly .

F40
08-07-2002, 08:53 AM
You're a big (and fairly lean already) mofo - nice one.

Wish I had calves as big as yours.....:cry:

Maki Riddington
08-08-2002, 12:27 PM
Day 68

Eh, I got an email frommy mom telling me to lose some weight cause she doesn't want me being mistaken for the Yakuza when I go to Japan. Haha, I kinda found that funny.

I benched last night and boy did I get schooled in the art of benching by the guy who's helping me out. Good god my bench from is horrid. I found out that I'm bringing the bar to close to my neck. I should be dropping it to my nipples.
I'm gonna add in a day where I 6x4 with 70% of my max so I can work on my form and speed. I laso have to start strengthening my front delts. I didn't realize how eak they were until last night. So my push presses will done with a close grip and my elbows pointing out front instead of pointing out to the sides.
My bench a weak link and I do mean weak link so I need to improve drastically.

Silverback
08-08-2002, 01:43 PM
back is looking tidy maki, seems as the guy you were benching with has really had an impact on you.

keep it up.

Maki Riddington
08-10-2002, 08:47 PM
Day 70

Did my speed bench today with 60% of my so called wimpy 1RM.
8 sets of 4 reps. The weight was way too light.
Though my form was excellent.

My weight was 200 on an empty stomach.

Maki Riddington
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Day 72

Looking in the mirror it looks like I've lost some muscle but I think it's due to glycogen depletion. I just don't have that inflated look anymore. Although my training isn't as often I probably have lost my pump. I took some pics but erased them because I looked so darned flat.

I'm really looking forward to my bulk coming mid September. I'm gathering my goodies (ALA, Udos oil, multi vits, HMB (jk) ) togther so I can put togther my plan of attack.

I still have some pudge on me tummy but whatever...
I've gotta do legs today, it's been almost two weeks since I last did them. But I have a long day today 13 hours to be exact.
Hope I can conjur up enough mental and physical energy to do them tonight.

The_Chicken_Daddy
08-12-2002, 12:16 PM
Day 72

Looking in the mirror it looks like I've lost some muscle but I think it's due to glycogen depletion.

Same goes.

Being flat sucks.

Maki Riddington
08-13-2002, 04:50 PM
Day 73

Did my legs last night and I only did 5x4 sets of squats as the soreness kicked in on my 4th set. I'm very paranoid of hurting my knees now since I squat so deep. I also did 2x10 on the leg extensions as well. And one set of calf raises.

Tonight I'll do biceps and calves.
Food was low again. I'm eating now less than 1500 cals.

Maki Riddington
08-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Holy, I love it when I work out and I get no pump!!!
Usually I get a great pump from doing my biceps. Tonight there was none whatsoever.
Crap that sucks.

Mystic Eric
08-14-2002, 02:28 AM
Pfftt YOU suck!

Man, the first day I move to Kits, I'm coming over to your house so I can finally meet your fiancee and hit on her... ;)

Maki Riddington
08-19-2002, 05:44 PM
Day 79

Well, I've finally decided to start keeping track of my calories.
It will be 2700 calories
Fat:100
Carbs: 200
Protein: 250

I'm going to buy another journal to start tracking my weights and food. I will use this space to vent and let people know how I'm doing mentally. I've been sorta stressed, maybe even down in the dumps for sometime so I let my training and diet go to hell.
I'm fairly confident that in one years time I'll be able to step on stage at 175 pounds. That is my goal contest weight. I want to get my bf down a little more but I'm definitely a lot more slim now.
Now I had made my training plan up but I may be taking on another shift at the gym so I'll have to reorganize my training routine. Here is what it should look like.

Monday
am: leg press, hamstring curl and claf raises
pm: deadlifts, leg extensions and seated cal raises

Tuesday
pm: chest

Wednesday
am: back
pm: arms

Thursday
am: shoulders
pm: chest

Friday
am: back
pm: arms

Saturday, Sunday: off - Depending on how I feel I may carb up on Sunday

I'll be taking some ALA in September, roughly 2 grams a day.

My meals will be on training days:

morning post workout shake (50 pro, 75 carbs)
sleep

wake up

noon: protein and fat meal

Mid day: protein, fat and carbs (50 grams)

Evening: protein, fat

pre workout: fat and protein

Post workout: same as morning

AlA will be taken with my carb meals.
I will bump my ALA (3 grams) up on my non training days and switch my high GI carbs to just oatmeal and apple sauce.

I want to be around a solid 205 or 210 by December.
I'll post a leg shot by Thursday

Kayak_boy
08-20-2002, 03:10 AM
Yo Maki,

Best of luck with the bulk, hope it goes well for ya.

And the back looks good.

Catch you around.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2002, 06:05 PM
Day 80

My two leg workouts went well. My hams are sore but nothing too bad. My quads are slightly sore as well.
My diet was ace yesterday. And it's ace today so far.

I'll be doing my chest today.
Then it's back tomorrow morning and arms tomorrow night.

I feel so much better now that I'm on a schedule and I'm eating right and counting cals again. It's like I'm a renewed person.

As promised in the next three posts here are my pics of me at 9% at 165. This is what 9% really looks like.

Maki Riddington
08-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Btw I'm not "pumped."

Maki Riddington
08-20-2002, 06:29 PM
If I can get it scanned I'll post one more of me at 182.5 pounds later on tonight. I believe I was 12% in the picture.

chris mason
08-20-2002, 07:55 PM
You look better now in my opinion.

Maki Riddington
08-21-2002, 07:39 PM
Thanks Chris.:)

Day 81

I had a good back workout this morning. The only bad thing, was that I entered the gym hoping that a certain piece of equipment would be there. Unfortunately this back machine had been taken out. It would have done such a great job at trashing my back muscles. So I settled for chins, rows, and using the Cybex functional trainer to do my lat pull downs.
I came home and slept for another 3 hours after downing my shake and creatine. It's arms tonight and shoulders tomorrow evening. So far my weight is at 200.5. I think I may have to up my cals. More protein I think.

I've also noticed that taking in anymore then 200 grams of carbs a day for more than a couple days leads to spill over for me. So from now on I'll keep my carbs around 200 or lower. My body just isn't that receptive to them. I think it might have to do with diabeties running in my family as my dad has it.

On another note, I picked up some L-Tyrosine, some whey and omega fatty acid blend. I also bought a ticket to see a bodybuilding show being held this Saturday. I'm just going for the pre judging cause the finals are 50 bucks a ticket. That's way to expensive. Well, some may disagree since Flex Wheeler will be guest posing and it would be an absolute treat to see him in the flesh. But, I would be giving up a day of work which would amount to me missing out on making money which I need so I have to pass on the chance.

Mystic Eric
08-22-2002, 12:32 AM
I also bought a ticket to see a bodybuilding show being held this Saturday. I'm just going for the pre judging cause the finals are 50 bucks a ticket. That's way to expensive. Well, some may disagree since Flex Wheeler will be guest posing and it would be an absolute treat to see him in the flesh. But, I would be giving up a day of work which would amount to me missing out on making money which I need so I have to pass on the chance.

Thanks for asking if I wanted to go/inviting me. Thanks. Really. :(

Maki Riddington
08-22-2002, 12:49 PM
Dude, sorry man. But I have to work and I'm only going for an hour. If you and Manveet want to come grab a ticket. It's only 25 bucks and it starts at noon in Burnaby. You can getthe tickets at Ticketmaster.

Day 82

Well I skipped my shoulder workout this morning but I feel much better with more continious sleep today. I'll just group my chest and shoulder workout tonight.
After measuring myself today I think I have lost a tad bit of muscle as my arms are now only 16 instead of 16.5. Well maybe they were only 16 to begin with. Somone can verify that if they want to search through the last 5 pages and see what my measurements where. My quads are down to 25:eek: Ughhhh!!
My goal is to get them up to 26 by the end of December.

It seems that when I lose weight it comes from my legs first, then chest, arms and finally stomach and back. Most people see it in their arms and stomach first. Legs is usually last I believe. Oh well... I'm looking forward to a good workout tonight. My whole body is in a pumped stae. It feels great!!

Maki Riddington
08-24-2002, 03:49 PM
Day 84

Today I went to see my very first bodybuilding show. Let me say that I left the show feeling so discouraged I felt like crying.:cry:

I thought it would be motivation, well I thought wrong. I think that I was the smallest guy there, some of the females dwarfed me in size. The competitors were awesome. I took some pics of some of the guys but I'm going to hold off posting them because I don't know if it's legal. The light weights were awesome, they were under 154 pounds and this one asian was absolutely dry and cut. Most of the competitors were all dry and cut to the bone.
It wasn't a novice show but a championship so the winners will go on to the nationals in Ontario. I would say 90% were juiced. Some were juiced to the gills, nevertheless they looked freaky!!!

So now I feel fat, flat and really down in the dumps. I am now thinking twice about stepping on stage. I obviously don't have near enough muscle on me to compete at 175 pounds.

Here is a link to one of the heavy weight competitors. I really don't think he is natural. I don't have any proof but he sure has a lot of muscle on him today to be natural.

http://www.jasongallant.com/

Anyways, enough self pity. My eating was on yesterday and I hit my back and arms yesterday. I'm looking forward to two days away from the gym.

Maki Riddington
08-26-2002, 09:20 AM
Day 86

I weighed in at 203.5 but I won't say that's official until this coming Friday. I do feel much better but I do look and feel smaller. Especially in my legs! I must get them back in shape!!!
I am now believe I lost some muscle as I look back at my old pictures. Oh well, I'll get it back. I also have to work on not falling apart on the weekends. It seems that come saturday I don't follow a diet plan which angers me. Need to work on that.

I have only one workout today. I'm doing chest tonight.

chris mason
08-26-2002, 12:56 PM
That guy doesn't just look juiced, he is (in my opinion).

As for getting depressed, you really shouldn't. The guys and gals who are a lot bigger than you use drugs, you don't. I have been to local, national level, and professional bodybuilding shows and I never really got depressed. It was because I didn't feel like they had better genetics, or worked harder, it was the drugs.

Maki Riddington
08-26-2002, 04:10 PM
Thanks Chris.
I'll post a pic of him in the mods corner later tonight.

Blitzforce
08-26-2002, 06:23 PM
You get used to the "look" after a while. Sure you get shell shocked the first time you see them, but after a while you can see that they're really no different from you, they're just leaner and bigger, but you will get there one day if you do it right.

right now I get blase seeing the big guys in my gym, in fact as I've been getting bigger, they seem to be more open towards me now - they even say "hi" now :)

That guy you posted the link too, he's not that big really, you can get there in time.

Maki Riddington
08-28-2002, 06:21 PM
Day 88

So far my diet and training are on track. I'm happy to date with my results. I'm looking leaner but I'm still lacking in size.
I have however, noticed , that I suffer from headaches on my leg day. These headaches last all day.

Had a good leg workout today and I'll be doing arms tonight. then shoulders tomorrow morning.

I'm looking forward to my purchase of ALA. Hopefully it will help me with keepingmy carbs from spilling over. I've also noticed that doing twice a day workouts, my body responds to the carbs very well.

Mystic Eric
08-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Hey, thanks for not getting me in on the ALA like you promised you would... :rolleyes:

Maki Riddington
08-29-2002, 11:49 PM
Day 89

I skipped my shoulder workout this morning so I could catch some more Z's. I combined a shoulder, chest and back workout tonight.

Food was low yesterday as well as my protein intake.
I weighed in at 204.2 tonight. I couldn't wait till tomorrow morning. That's with my shoes off and just in my underwear in the gym. ;) Looks like I'm putting on some muscle.:cool:
Also, the front desk attendant who was away for 4 weeks was back tonight and she commented on how much bigger, and wider I looked.:D I was happy about that. I really am committed to getting more muscle on me in this 3 month period. then when I'm off to Japan I'll take 10 days off from training completely. Pics of GG, Monstar, Gino, Chris M, Big C all make me work all the more harder. For once in my life I haven't felt more dedicated to a cause as this quest for more muscle.

Tomorrow it's legs part two and arms later that night.

BCC
08-30-2002, 12:00 AM
Hey Maki, how'd it feel training shoulders, back, and chest all in the same session?

Also, congratulations with the progress. It looks like we're all on our way. And I bet those 10 days off will feel quite nice, not to mention give your body some excellent recuperation time.

Best of luck to you.

Maki Riddington
08-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by BigChaseyChase
Hey Maki, how'd it feel training shoulders, back, and chest all in the same session?

*** I was fine. I did my shoulders first, then my back and finally my chest.
For my back I did 3 sets of rows, and 3 sets of pull downs.
For my chest I did 4 sets of cable cross overs.
I basically listen to my body and do what I can for each session making sure that if I feel exhausted that I cut my session short and sleep.
My volume is a tad high as most sets are at about 9 or more.

Maki Riddington
09-03-2002, 06:18 PM
Day 92

Nothing to add here really. My food is on and I'm pumped for tonights chest workout. Saturday was a write off as I attended a staff party. Boy, when alcohol is present people really show their true colors. Good thing I caught it on film.:)
That's about all.

kimpy225
09-04-2002, 09:25 AM
nice journal maki
i like all the updates and each day and everything
:)

Maki Riddington
09-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Here is a recent pic of my back. Down about 12 pounds from last lat shot.

Can you notice a increase or maybe decrease in my back musculature?
Any comments would be appreciated on what needs to be worked on. Yes I know my waist has to be smaller, but other than that. I took an actually lat shot but I didn't like my love handles. Although my lat spread wasn't all that bad. And i am my own worst judge.

Ok so here is a 215 lat shot from before.

Maki Riddington
09-04-2002, 10:19 AM
Here is one of me two summer ago at 205.
Most of you have seen these but you can compare.

Maki Riddington
09-04-2002, 10:21 AM
And now finally my lats at 203.

Blood&Iron
09-04-2002, 10:21 AM
You've definitely added some width.

EDIT: This was actually pertaining to the 1st two pics. But it holds for the 3rd. You're flaring in the last one, though, so it makes it hard to make a fair comparison.

Maki Riddington
09-04-2002, 05:13 PM
Blood, I was flaring in the other ones as well.
I only have one back pic of me when I'm in a relaxed position.

Manveet
09-04-2002, 11:01 PM
Your waist line is alot more slim in the last pic. I know you weighed more in the previous two pics, but the difference from when you were 205 to now (203) looks great. Your back is your strong point imo.

heathj
09-04-2002, 11:16 PM
Damn boi. Lookin' good. We definately gotta hook up and workout together when I'm up in Bellingham.

Maki Riddington
09-07-2002, 05:15 PM
Day 96

Man, I skipped legs yesterday cause I was beat.
Stupid move, I looked at my legs this morning and :cry: they looked small.
My upper body is looking better. The lady at the supplement stors comented on how much bigger I look now. She said," have you gained weight, you look much bigger." Ya boi!!!! (she didn't say that part, I did) So I bought an extra large tub of protein instead of a small tub. Boy these twice a day workouts are killing me. But it's worth the sacrifice. I'm gonna hold of on the ALA cause I have to pay for my baby's school fees. I'm getting more and more of a tatse of what married life is gonna be like. I'm gonna have no money to spend on myself. :eek: No more being a bachlor. No biggy. Back to the supplements, I had a talk with the supplement guy who is probably the most knowldegable guy I've come across yet and we got to talking about ALA. This supplement seems like the next big supplement. And I found out some neat things which I may turn into an article on ALA. This means I would have to sift through all my notes and research I have compiled on ALA. It's goona be a doozy of an article if someone else doesn't get to writing one first. But it's just another topic I have written down to write about. So it may be sometime before I get to writing a piece on it.

Anyways, back to what I was talking about, I just have to make sure my eating is clean as heck!!!! Which it has been by the way. :)

I wighed in at 204.2 yesterday morning and 204.7 this morning.
But I'm carbing up tonight. I started last night with McDonalds food. I woke up this morning filled out and pumped. I couldn't quite figure out why but it seems according to my previous experiences that taking carbs in only isn't the best way to fill out. A fat and carb up would seem better. This conencides with what I've read and heard. I just don't know what ratio is needed for optimal results. Since nutrition is not my forte. Anybody care to shed some light on this. Even when I have a low carb and high fat meal, the next morning I'm pumped and full. Makes flexing in the mirror a treat and not a task.

Anyways, today has been good, lots of carbs and protein.
Till next week. 215 here I come?

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-07-2002, 05:23 PM
ALA is a great anti-oxidant.

But one thing i wanna know, is whether it works via GLUT4 receptors in just the muscles, or whether it does this for fat cells too?

From what i can gather, most insulin mimickers don't prefer one type, so you push carbs into fat cells also. I'm not saying this is bad, but the idea is to fill muscle cells alone, y'know...

What info do ya gots so far?

Maki Riddington
09-07-2002, 05:37 PM
**** To me I would think that it would stimulate uptake into both cells. But then if it did wouldn't it put diabetics at risk even more?
Most diabetics aren't exaclty underweight.

Engagement of the insulin-sensitive pathway in the stimulation of glucose transport by alpha-lipoic acid in 3T3-L1 adipocytes.

Yaworsky K, Somwar R, Ramlal T, Tritschler HJ, Klip A.

Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

AIMS/HYPOTHESIS: A natural cofactor of mitochondrial dehydrogenase complexes and a potent antioxidant, alpha-lipoic acid improves glucose metabolism in people with Type II (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus and in animal models of diabetes. In this study we investigated the cellular mechanism of action of alpha-lipoic acid in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. METHODS: We treated 3T3-L1 adipocytes with 2.5 mmol/l R (+) alpha-lipoic acid for 2 to 60 min, followed by assays of: 2-deoxyglucose uptake; glucose transporter 1 and 4 (GLUT1 and GLUT4) subcellular localization; tyrosine phosphorylation of the insulin receptor or of the insulin receptor substrate-1 in cell lysates; association of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity with immunoprecipitates of proteins containing phosphotyrosine or of insulin receptor substrate-1 using a in vitro kinase assay; association of the p85 subunit of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase with phosphotyrosine proteins or with insulin receptor substrate-1; and in vitro activity of immunoprecipitated Akt1. The effect of R (+) alpha-lipoic acid was also compared with that of S(-) alpha-lipoic acid. RESULTS: Short-term treatment of 3T3-L1 adipocytes with R (+) alpha-lipoic acid rapidly stimulated glucose uptake in a wortmannin-sensitive manner, induced a redistribution of GLUT1 and GLUT4 to the plasma membrane, caused tyrosine phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate-1 and of the insulin receptor, increased the antiphosphotyrosine-associated and insulin receptor substrate-1 associated phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase activity and stimulated Akt activity. CONCLUSION/INTERPRETATION: These results indicate that R (+) alpha-lipoic acid directly activates lipid, tyrosine and serine/threonine kinases in target cells, which could lead to the stimulation of glucose uptake induced by this natural cofactor. These properties are unique among all agents currently used to lower glycaemia in animals and humans with diabetes.

Mystic Eric
09-07-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by heathj
Damn boi. Lookin' good. We definately gotta hook up and workout together when I'm up in Bellingham.

Can I come????? :(

Mystic Eric
09-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Day 96

I'm gonna hold of on the ALA cause I have to pay for my baby's school fees. I'm getting more and more of a tatse of what married life is gonna be like. I'm gonna have no money to spend on myself. :eek: No more being a bachlor. No biggy.

Damn, you're not even married and you're already paying for her tuition??? :eek: What a husband. So is that why you ditched me on our ALA scheme???

The_Chicken_Daddy
09-07-2002, 05:59 PM
But then if it did wouldn't it put diabetics at risk even more?

Most diabetics aren't exaclty underweight.

Exactly.

Diabetics don't give a rats ass where the glucose goes, as long as it's out of the blood stream and not drowning their brain.

We're talking type I diabetics here, right?

Maki Riddington
09-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Day 98

Had a good weekend and I gorged myself on Saturday and Sunday. saturday was a good carb up and Sunday was my write off day.

Due to increased water and glycogen I weighed in this morning at 208.1. That's 4 pounds up from Friday morning.

I'm gonna do my legs tonight. I really have to work on my hamstrings, compared to my quads they suck big time!!!!
So here is my new schedule due to a change in work schedule.

Monday: quads, calves
Tuesday: chest
Wednesday: morning : back/hamstrings night: biceps/triceps
Thursday: morning: shoulders/traps evening: chest
Friday: morning: back/hamstrings evening: biceps/triceps

Come Friday I'm pretty tiered, especially if my sleeping pattern is off.

BennettBoy
09-09-2002, 09:18 AM
Maki, what weight are you trying to cut down to?

Maki Riddington
09-09-2002, 09:27 AM
If you look at my sig I'm no longer a 'cutting' Banana.
I'm trying to slowly add some muscle and minimize and/or lose some fat.
I'd like to get to 215 by mid December.

Maki Riddington
09-10-2002, 08:55 PM
Day 99

Tomorrow is the anniversary (sp) of the Sept 11th attack.
I wonder what it'll be like.
I measured my legs again. Damn it!!!!!!!!!! I really have to kick my leg training up several notches. 25 inches and some change is not impressive.:mad:
Although my arms are up half an inch since I last measured.
Cold they're 15 inches
Flexed they're 16.5:eek: I was so happy when I read the tape measure. for most this is nothing but I've been struggling to bring my arms up to par since they are such a weak muscle group.

17 inches here I come!!!!
My kegs are sore from last nights squat session. Tonight is chest.
My food was off yesterday also and boy was I tiered. My bench is improving though which is ace.

I'm aiming for 205 this Friday morn. Hope I can do it!!!!

MonStar
09-11-2002, 06:00 AM
Day 99

Tomorrow is the anniversary (sp) of the Sept 11th attack.
I wonder what it'll be like.

I was thinking the same thing man. My girlfriend was talking about how there could be another attack since its the same day. But no reason to get all bent out of shape about nothing.

I measured my legs again. Damn it!!!!!!!!!! I really have to kick my leg training up several notches. 25 inches and some change is not impressive.:mad:

Haha 25 inches is pretty decently size quads Maki. Mine are 25.25" and have some nice definition (you honestly cannot tell in pics) and I dont think I have small legs. But keep up the hard work and good luck growing those legs!! Squats baby! ;);)

Although my arms are up half an inch since I last measured.
Cold they're 15 inches
Flexed they're 16.5:eek: I was so happy when I read the tape measure. for most this is nothing but I've been struggling to bring my arms up to par since they are such a weak muscle group.

Cold meaning unflexed or cold meaning unpumped? Flexed and pumped theyre 16.5" Nice arm size man. Were very similar in measurements. Keep up the hard work Maki. I hope to grow my arms some the next few months. Well see.

17 inches here I come!!!!
My kegs are sore from last nights squat session. Tonight is chest.
My food was off yesterday also and boy was I tiered. My bench is improving though which is ace.

I'm aiming for 205 this Friday morn. Hope I can do it!!!!

Good luck man. 205 lbs. is a nice weight, and so are 17" guns. Keep up the journal and the hard work and youll get there.

Maki Riddington
09-11-2002, 04:51 PM
Day 100 Sept 11th

A moment of slience for all who perished in the attack last year.....

It took me about 10 minutes to get out of bed this morning. But I did it. Did a back and hams work out. Came home and slept for another 2.5 hours. Lately I've been more tiered then motivated. Seems like I'm losing my drive. So this is where I must dig deep.
My food is on today and I have to do arms tonight.

Btw Monstar, my arms are 16.5 inches flexed cold. I'd imagine they would be 17 inches pumped because I get enormous pumps from my workout. I actually look like I work out.:)

On a totally different note, I wasted 1 hour of my life watching "The Diary" on MTV last night. It featured Britney Spears.

Mystic Eric
09-11-2002, 11:01 PM
Lately I've been more tiered then motivated. Seems like I'm losing my drive. So this is where I must dig deep.

Hey whatsup bro?

This friday, Manveet is coming to UBC to work out with me. You want in?

:cool::cool:

Maki Riddington
09-13-2002, 08:17 AM
Day 102

I almost messed my shoulder up while doing some shoulder presses last night. On my last rep of my last set my left shoulder decided to travel backwards. Luckily I got control of the dumbbell. But my shoulder is sore today. Actually I shouldn't have worked out today.

I weighed in this morning at 207.2. So much for hitting 205.:)
I'm happy about this. I'm looking bigger so that's a plus.

Mystic Eric
09-14-2002, 12:47 AM
I'm looking bigger so that's a plus.

That's an understatement, folks.

Maki Riddington
09-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Day 105

After a weekend of horrid eating and enjoying my buddies birthday bash I'm back at it. I spent a day up in Whistler B.C. which was quite an enjoyable experience. I saw a girl I hadn't seen in 5 years and she gapsed when she saw me. She told me I had turned "buff," she's like, "you used to be skinny and now your all buff and stuff, wow." LMAO, not what I expected, since my jack ass friends always make it known that I'm a fatass.

Worked out with Eric on Frida at the BirdCoop and had a good workout, the boy has packed on mass, from the last time I saw him. He was looking good.

Legs tonight, I have a long day ahead of me..........

Maki Riddington
09-18-2002, 01:25 AM
Day 108

I got to sleep in today and it was much needed. I slept 9 hours.
It was chest day today and boy has my strength shot up from my last session.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, my bench press poundages suck. It's my weakest bodypart and my weakest lift with the barbell curl close behind.
Last week I left off with 220x4 for 5 sets. Now this is because I have to relearn a new way of benching. The way I was benching before was awful. Well today I put on 225 and did 8 sets of 4 reps. I was so suprised that the weight was so light. I rated my exertion level at around 6-7. Except for my last set.
So........ my goal now, for my bench, is to put on 5 pounds per week to my bench. My ultimate goal is to be able to max out at 315. This has been a goal of mine for sometime.

Next week I will do 230x4 6-8 sets. Once I start to stagnate I will lower it to doubles. To top this off my chest is rsponding quite well to the low reps.
Tomorrow I have a long day ahead of me and two workouts. I'm up at 5:30 and from there my day starts....

Marcel
09-18-2002, 02:11 AM
Tomorrow I have a long day ahead of me and two workouts. I'm up at 5:30 and from there my day starts....

Sounds like youre hittin em hard Mak. Keep up the good work.

Maki Riddington
09-19-2002, 08:23 PM
Day 109

I was too tiered to hit the gym this morning. I slept a whopping 9.5 hours. Man I needed it. I did my shoulders today and was quite suprised with my strength levels. I banged out 4 sets of 75x6 for dumbbell shoulder presses. I should be able to hit the 100's by december no problem if my elbow heals. It seems I've hurt myself for the very first time in my lifting history. It seems to be a nerve problem as I get shooting pains into my forearms from my left elbow. It also gives out or feels like it's about to so I need to get it checked out. I hope I'm not suffereing from repetitive stress syndrome.

I should try to keep my carbs down and up my protein but I'm getting tiered of eating oats, whey and flax oil all day long.
Weigh in tomorow. I feel I'm bigger now then when I was 220, well almost.

Maki Riddington
09-20-2002, 08:28 AM
Day 110

It's 7:30 am and I've just finished my arm workout. I'm contemplating whether I should go back to bed now or do my work and then sleep during the day. Other then that I'm good.

I weighed in at 208.7 this morning.
A pound up from last week. so far so good. This is exactly what I want to be doing in terms of weight gain.

MonStar
09-21-2002, 06:34 AM
I weighed in at 208.7 this morning.
A pound up from last week. so far so good. This is exactly what I want to be doing in terms of weight gain.

Gains seem like theyre so and steady which is a good thing Maki. Keep up the hard work man. Curious why dont you post your workouts? And also how many calories are you taking in each day?

Maki Riddington
09-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by MonStar

Gains seem like theyre so and steady which is a good thing Maki. Keep up the hard work man. Curious why dont you post your workouts? And also how many calories are you taking in each day?

*** I don't post my workouts because:

1. I'm lazy
2. anyone can stretch their load lifted
3. I'm weak

You can sorta get a picture of what my lifts are if you sift through my journals. You'll be able to see a gradual progression in my strength levels.

Mystic Eric
09-21-2002, 02:19 PM

*** I don't post my workouts because:

1. I'm lazy
2. anyone can stretch their load lifted
3. I'm weak

You can sorta get a picture of what my lifts are if you sift through my journals. You'll be able to see a gradual progression in my strength levels.

Nah, don't let him trick you, the main reason is because of #3. :D

Actually, he's not weak at all.

galileo
09-21-2002, 02:34 PM
Stretching your load lifted is only hurting yourself, I don't see how that would factor in.

I'm weak and I post my lifts. ;)

Mystic Eric
09-21-2002, 02:41 PM
well maybe paki's just modest. I mean, he was benching '450' the other day when we were working out together ;)

Maki Riddington
09-21-2002, 02:47 PM
Oh ya, I'm taking in about 2800 calories now. I was at about 26 but this week I decided to bump it up 200 more.

I mainly don't post my lifts cause I'm lazy. I do however post some lifts if I'm personally impressed or happy with a certain lift on a certain day.

galileo
09-21-2002, 02:57 PM
I'll go with the lazy thing then. Some days I don't feel like posting jack, but I do because I like to have record (don't use paper).

Maki Riddington
09-21-2002, 03:01 PM
I record my lifts in a journal I take to the gym everyday, same goes with diet. I can't be bothered writing it down here cause some days I don't log on and I don't want to log on.

Manveet
09-21-2002, 11:06 PM
I was the same way as Maki. I mean why would I start an online journal, when I already record it all in my own journal. But Mystic Eric kept pestering me about it, so I just said why not.

Maki Riddington
09-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Day 113

Ok, I'm fat again.:( Tummy has set in again and I was so angry with what I found after scouring my diet journal in depth. I've been eating too many carbs. Probably in the neighborhood of 300-350. Not much for most of you but I mentioned that my tolerance at this weight is awful when it comes to carb intake.

So today they are down to 150. Making sure every bit of food I eat is accounted for.

Tonight I was in a fould mood, Eric can attest to this as I was very rude with him today on MSN.:mad: anyways, I went to do my squats tonight and I proceeded to load the bar with 265 for my 8 sets of 4 reps. The only thing was my tear away pants kept coming undone on my left side. So I'd do a squat and one half of my leg would be showing along with my underwear. I was wearing briefs, the kind you wear when you're a little kid. No, not diapers you smart asses.tuttut Anyways, there were females present and I would have to quickly stand up and rebutton my pants up. Finally I ened up racking my set and quitting because my pants came unbuttoned and I was in the bottom position squatting in my underwear. Stupid rotten tear aways that don't fit cause of my thighs. I was quite pissed so I ended up cursing a loud and doing 6 sets of the leg extensions supersetted with the seated calf raises. I ended up getting a good workout actually. I couldn't walk afterwards.

Moral of the story, don't squat with tear aways.

I weighed in at 209.7 today. Too much weight too fast.
Gotta lose some pounds first so I may go back down a couple pounds first.

Mystic Eric
09-24-2002, 12:45 AM
Day 113

Ok, I'm fat again.:( Tummy has set in again and I was so angry with what I found after scouring my diet journal in depth. I've been eating too many carbs. Probably in the neighborhood of 300-350. Not much for most of you but I mentioned that my tolerance at this weight is awful when it comes to carb intake.

So today they are down to 150. Making sure every bit of food I eat is accounted for.

Tonight I was in a fould mood, Eric can attest to this as I was very rude with him today on MSN.:mad: anyways, I went to do my squats tonight and I proceeded to load the bar with 265 for my 8 sets of 4 reps. The only thing was my tear away pants kept coming undone on my left side. So I'd do a squat and one half of my leg would be showing along with my underwear. I was wearing briefs, the kind you wear when you're a little kid. No, not diapers you smart asses.tuttut Anyways, there were females present and I would have to quickly stand up and rebutton my pants up. Finally I ened up racking my set and quitting because my pants came unbuttoned and I was in the bottom position squatting in my underwear. Stupid rotten tear aways that don't fit cause of my thighs. I was quite pissed so I ended up cursing a loud and doing 6 sets of the leg extensions supersetted with the seated calf raises. I ended up getting a good workout actually. I couldn't walk afterwards.

Moral of the story, don't squat with tear aways.

I weighed in at 209.7 today. Too much weight too fast.
Gotta lose some pounds first so I may go back down a couple pounds first.

Yeeesh, I was on a break from class so i went to the library and logged on and he was online. He started cussing me out for no reason.

And morals of the story from your day?

1. Don't wear tighty whities
2. Don't wear tear aways - they went out of style in 1997
3. Don't wear tighty whities while squatting
4. Don't be mean to Eric. What happened today was just what you deserve for cussing me out :(

rookiebldr
09-24-2002, 06:44 AM
maki-

Look at it this way - your legs are so incredibly HUGE that they are just ripping out of your pants and trying to show the ladies what tree trunks you have.. :D :D

BennettBoy
09-24-2002, 06:59 AM
Maki LOL...you sound like me trying to gain weight. It's like you want it yes, but no you don't want it because you gain it in the wrong spots:D

This bodybuilding stuff ain't easy:(

Maki Riddington
09-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Day 114

Still traumatized from my episode last night.:cry:

Saturday Fever
09-24-2002, 11:40 PM
I live in the part of camp that believes your chest is 95% genetic, 5% what you make it. That being said, I don't think you look bad. I think the best one can do naturally in bodybuilding is just get humongous, regardless of content. And when it's time to compete, starve yourself. Not literally, of course. Don't sweat anything man.

Maki Riddington
09-24-2002, 11:48 PM
Man, when I first started I had no chest and I do mean none.
I'm trying to add as much muscle before my final cut. So that I hit my comp weight I have in mind. Which is 175 at 3-4%.

Anyways, I know, my shoulders, need to be wider, my hams need to be bigger and my chest is poo awful. If I can get those to be decent or symmetrical with the rest of my body I'll be one happy camper.

Craig James
09-25-2002, 01:30 AM
Maki-Mak, you are looking large none the less. Keep it up, and quit wearing those tighty-whities with tear away pants on squat day!

Maki Riddington
09-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Day 115

Ohhhhh boy, were do I start. For the last year I've been struggling with my body and trying to figure out what I want to do. First it's bulking, then it's cutting, no wait it's both........ You see, I think I've developed a problem with my body and it's starting to consume me. I've been unhappy with my body on and off and I've finally realized what has to be done. Lose bodyfat. Very simple, yet I've struggled with this concept for a little over a year now.

For me to sucessfully bulk up again I need to start at a low BF. But I've ignored this for a long time and it has been driving me crazy. I just have to high of a bodyfat level to even bulk properly without putting on too much fat.

So over a period of the next 10 months I will be working at slowly losing my bodyfat. So that I can start my bulk up phase next winter. I'm probably going to feel small which is my worst fear and has kept me from even really trying to lose any large amount of bodyfat. I mean, all my attempts have been half assed and I know it deep down. I can't have the best of both worlds and for me to go forward with my physique I'm gonna have to mentally take a whole bunch of steps backwards. This will be my biggest foe. I know exactly what to do to lose this fat but I just don't apply it.

In the end I'm unhappy, so much so, I get angry with myself.
The yellow flags have been dropped all over the place and I'm finally seeing the errors of my way. Looking at my pictures I posted in the picture forum makes me realize that I have gained a lot of muscle since then. So much so that I'd be happy with my pictures when I take them or when I stand in the mirror. But I feel this overwhelming sense of smallness when I wear clothes. At that weight I was always very lean but never looked like it because my clothes I wore hid my physique. Now my clothes show my size but my physique shows how fat I really am.

I have to learn to be happy with where I am and look at my sucess so far. I find myself comparing myself to other people too much. I know now, that I will never become a bodybuilder, not one that will be successful. I just don't have the genes for it. All I can do, is do my best for me and hope that my hard workpays off and allows me to enter some contests along the way.

Anyways, this is my confession for all who read my journal to see that I have to learn to be honest and straightforward with myself.

So I will work on slowly losing my bf and hopefully revamp my physique from a extra large to a lean machine regardless of whether I compromise my size in the process. It's gonna be a tough battle and I may not make it but I have to start sometime.

Cals as for now

Protein:250
Fat:110
Carbs:130
Cals: 2570 roughly

No cardio until December. I'll be taking EC and L-tyrosine 1-2 times a day everyday.

Wish me a successful journey.
Thanks for reading.

Mystic Eric
09-25-2002, 06:21 PM
I'd wish you luck but you left me some messages on msn and when I got home from school, I replied but you blocked me?? :confused:

Marcel
09-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Good luck big Mak.

Manveet
09-25-2002, 09:04 PM
Good luck, although bodybuilding is in essence physical, some people fail to realise alot has to do with mentality.

Maki Riddington
09-27-2002, 12:52 PM
Day 117

Weight:208.5

Nothing much to say. Bench is going up though. I'm very happy about this. Here's what I did.

1. 230x4
2. 230x4
3. 230x4
4. 250x4
5. 230x4
6. 230x4
7. 230x4

All with ease. Ya baby. I did do dips with a total of 70 pounds attached to my waist. I was impressed with this after not doing them for over a year or more. If you look through my old old journal I made reference to being able to hit 45 pounds as my goal for dips. Now I've crushed it!!
3 sets of 4 reps. This is also at a slow and controlled tempo since my elbow is acting up. If you remember my injury I was talking about in a previous post.

I'm gonna be at my buddies Indian fashion show all day helping out with the last minute preperations so my diet will be off but I'll do my best to keep my carbs low and my protein high. I'll be the one selling the tickets for alcohol. Hehe, open bar for me, one of the perks for helping out, oh ya, fine women and Indian food also. Can't complain eh?;)

Mystic Eric
09-27-2002, 01:14 PM
Too bad I'm not going :(

chris mason
09-27-2002, 05:56 PM
Hey Maki, from what I have seen I don't think you have a lack of genetics. I think your genetics are as good as some of the pros on the circuit today. The difference between you and them is one of drug use, nothing more, nothing less. I firmly believe if you took enough drugs you could look as they do. So don't get down on yourself for your choice of not using drugs.

MonStar
09-27-2002, 09:45 PM
Nothing much to say. Bench is going up though. I'm very happy about this. Here's what I did.

1. 230x4
2. 230x4
3. 230x4
4. 250x4
5. 230x4
6. 230x4
7. 230x4

Damn nice strength Maki!! Thats a lot of friggin' sets. Good strength man, keep it up. :D:D

Maki Riddington
09-29-2002, 02:28 AM
Day 119

Write off day. The fashion show was off the hook. Had lots of fun. It's cool when you're bigger then the security gaurds. Which for me is a first.
Anyways, I took a photo of my back in a relaxed position to show my starting point in my fat loss quest.

I'll see if I can do a leg one tomorrow but my batteries died on me. You'll also have to mind the hair on my legs. :eek: and mind the messy room.

Silverback
09-29-2002, 04:00 AM
your room is a mess, get it cleaned up :)

Your back pic is sweet some cutting and you'll be on fire man!

Maki Riddington
09-30-2002, 02:37 PM
Here's a messy room, hairy leg shot.

Need work on my calves though, but don't we all.;)

Blitzforce
09-30-2002, 02:50 PM
Legs look full and beefy - nice roundness in the VMO. I think that's an Asian thing :)

yeah calves need work - thankfully my calves grow at will. I put an 1/8 an inch on em after my first srpint session last week :)

Mystic Eric
09-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Damn man. I'm surprised your fiancee would let you keep the room so messy.

ElPietro
09-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Hey Mac, just thought I'd chime in since I rarely do regarding your training and phsyique. I don't know why you seem so down on yourself. I don't know any other person that can control their physique through diet and perseverance as well as you can. I've seen bulk and cut pics and while most would be terrified to bulk up too much, you prove that with discipline it can be done and done well. If dieting is the most difficult concept to master in building a great physique, I'd say you are top of the class...who knows what a few more bulk/cut cycles might leave you looking like.

No eric, I'm not gay...so don't even bother trying to start anything... tuttut

Maki Riddington
09-30-2002, 07:23 PM
Thanks El, that really helps me out. I guess I'm a tad hard on myself and I just have to work so hard just to see a small increase in size. But then again, don't we all. I just feel sometimes I have to work harder then anyone else when I see progress pics.
Thanks a lot for the kind words of encouragement. :)

Maki Riddington
10-01-2002, 12:30 AM
Day 121

Chest work out.

1. 235x4
2. 235x4
3. 235x4
4. 235x4
5. 235x4
6. 235x4
7. 235x4
8. 140x23 (ouch)

I'm gonna turn into a cardio beats pretty soon. I'm sick of letting my diet do the work. So, cardio will be implemented via 20-25 min sessions 3-4 xs per week.

Neil
10-01-2002, 01:15 AM
Nice progression from your last workout.
140x23! Man, you're probably gonna be feelin that tomorrow:)

chris mason
10-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Here's a messy room, hairy leg shot.

Need work on my calves though, but don't we all.;)

Heck, my calves make yours look like bulls! You see, my theory is that puny calves make my quads look bigger......errrr......yeeeessss , that's it! :cry:

Maki Riddington
10-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Actually looking back at my other leg shots this shot of my legs don't compare. I think it was a bad shot.
Anyways, whatever. Legs tonight.
Chest is fine today, maybe it will be sore tomorrow. Usually takes two days for the soreness to kick in.

Silverback
10-01-2002, 04:32 PM
two days for soreness, woah that sounds weird, i start feeling me chest in the evening after the workout, suppose everyone is different, good work nonetheless on the bench.

Maki Riddington
10-03-2002, 11:17 PM
Day 124

Twice a day cardio sessions coupled with weight training.
My aprox HR was 143 at my low end and 153 at my high end for all my sessions so far. 20 min sessions each btw.

Thank god for EC stack.

Did a quick chest workout with 190 x6 for 6 sets. Used it as my speed day sorta. I can really push the bar up quickly using this weight now. I can feel the power.

Maki Riddington
10-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Day 125

So tiered that I skipped my training session this morning and slept in. I slept 11 hours today. Cardio, triceps and arms tonigth with cardio following.

Weight:208

MonStar
10-05-2002, 05:21 AM
Day 125

I slept 11 hours today.

:eek::eek: You must be making some good gains in the gym Maki with this kind of sleep. I wish I could get 11 hours every night, wow.

Maki Riddington
10-07-2002, 08:28 AM
Day 128

Just starting to feel the effects of a cold coming on. A slight sore throat and a fever this morning is what I awoke to. So I must nip this in the bud today or my workouts for the next two weeks will suffer drastically. No squats tonight, I'll be coming home at noon today and I won't be going back to work tonight. I need to sleep and recover. It usually takes me an extra 5 hours of sleep to get past something like this.

My eating is ok, I'm really not putting a total effort into this part until I see a plateau in my fat loss. I want to take pictures but my camera makes appear extremely flat (or should I say fat).
I think I have to adjust the settings on the camera. I can't seem to capture the way I look in the mirror and I know this mirror is accurate in showing my physique. I might just snap some pics on a normal camera and develope them it.

I know I need to work on my chest. My "inner" chest is horrible.
Absolutely awful. I was trying on a sweater in the mall yesterday and as I was changing I decided to snap some poses in the change room.:eek: Everything looked fine except for the inside of my chest. It just caves in. That's why it looks funny in clothing.
Whatever. :mad:

rookiebldr
10-07-2002, 10:08 AM

I know I need to work on my chest. My "inner" chest is horrible.
Absolutely awful. I was trying on a sweater in the mall yesterday and as I was changing I decided to snap some poses in the change room.:eek: Everything looked fine except for the inside of my chest. It just caves in. That's why it looks funny in clothing.
Whatever. :mad:

It's too bad one can't just work on the "inner" chest. Good luck big guy.

Manveet
10-07-2002, 07:08 PM
Don't worry Maki, my inner chest sucks too. seriously.

Maki Riddington
10-09-2002, 06:14 PM
Day 130

Looking a tad better. Good gosh have I piled on a layer of fat on my stomach. Never again will I bulk this much. I definitely let things get out of hand just so I could be a big guy.

Cardio this morning and a chest workout.
Went back to sleep and boy was I in need of it. I did my chest work out on an empty stomach and it suffred I felt although I still managed to do this:

1. 240x4
2. 240x4
3. 240x4
4. 240x4
5. 240x4
6. 240x4
7. 240x4

No back off set cause I was really not in the mood to work out.
I had 45 grams of whey post workout and some creatine and glutamine and went back to bed.
I was at a different gym so it felt weird benching on a different station. I'm sure those who work out at one gym and then do something at another know what I'm talking about. Cardio was for 20 mins.

Tonight it's back, triceps and cardio again. Blah!

Maki Riddington
10-15-2002, 05:03 PM
Day 136

Had a great Thanksgiving long weekend. I had 4 days off in which I did absolutely nothing and ate what I wanted when I wanted.
I watched 11 dvds in 3 days. Man, I love watching movies!!

My weight today is 211.:( With no clothes on. Not a big deal.
Legs tonight. I'm going to switch to doubles cause it seems my legs responded quite well to heavy singles the last time around.

Other then that I'm happy. I'm still taking my EC stack 2-3 times a day.

My mom still says I'm fat and a couple people said I'm actually looking bigger. Sheesh, try to lose some weight but I gain some instead. Hehe..:D

BennettBoy
10-15-2002, 05:23 PM
I love watching movies too whenever I actually do....which isn't often. I always act like I don't have time to sit that long and watch them. Yet I can sit my ass on WBB for hours LOL:D

Is Christmas in Canada a different date than in the US too?:p

Maki Riddington
10-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Day 138

16 minutes of kick ass balls to the walls interval cardio post workout. HR was at about 182. Man I was in a sour mood so I really needed to let some steam off.
Bench press tonight was horrible but I atribute that to my awful mood. I was really depressed tonight.

1. 245x4
2. 245x4
3. 245x4
4. 245x4
5.145x28

I should have done two more sets but the weight felt like a ton of bricks. I will do better next week!

Workouts have been cut to once a day for now. I need to sleep. Lately I've been sleeping 9.5-10.5 hours a day. Now if that's not a sign I don't know what is. My cardio sessions will be cut down to once a day for now. 3-4 x's per week. I really have to start becoming more active as my metabolism is super slow right now. I can get away with eating less then 2000 cals no problem and still gain weight. Sitting in front of this computer is killing me. At one point I was dying to gain weight, now I'd die to lose some.

Mystic Eric
10-16-2002, 11:56 PM
I atribute that to my awful mood. I was really depressed tonight.

Hang in there big guy... you're doing great. *hugs maki*

Maki Riddington
10-17-2002, 11:19 PM
Day 139

So, so day. Green tea in the morning as usual and the normal pill popping of EC.

I have to run a soccer prgram for kids ages 5-12 years old every Thursday afternoon (15 aprox). It's a fun time since I love playing with kids.
I feel I have a knack for working with kids because most times I can make a instant connection with them. I've got some cuite butooties hanging off of me and some adorable girls jumping on my back and holding my hand. Just a great feeling to make a kid laugh. That's where my goofy personality comes into play.

Anyways, did my back, biceps and did 25 mins of cardio.
On another note I must have a infestation of cavities in my mouth.
Note: must make an appoinment to see the dentist. Ac ouple of my teeth are killing me.

:cry:

Maki Riddington
10-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Day 141

I have a splitting headache today. It's from not taking my regular dose of EC.
Nothing much else to say.
I did however do my shoulders last night and did 15 mins killer cardio.

Maki Riddington
10-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Day 143

All I can say is ouch! My legs hurt.:(

Mystic Eric
10-22-2002, 03:17 AM
Day 143

All I can say is ouch! My legs hurt.:(

Pfft you should do a BCC leg work out ;)

Ooh! Oooh!!! If Manveet comes down to vancouver this friday, and if we go see the ring, you wanna come???

Maki Riddington
10-22-2002, 09:24 PM
Can't, I have a two day birthday party to attend.
Wish I could though.

Maki Riddington
10-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Day 144

I had a great nap this afternoon (1.5). I was still hopped on fat burners so I figured I wouldn't be ale to sleep but I guess I was so beat that I slept anyways.

Did my chest tonight. I changed it up a bit. So now I'm doing doubles instead. It went like this:

1. 250x2
2. 250x2
3. 250x2
4. 250x2
5. 255x2
6. 255x2
7. 255x2
8. 255x2
9. 150x24

I went to go do my cardio afterwards but my batteries died 2 minutes into my session. So I quit.

Blood&Iron
10-23-2002, 07:29 AM
Just a word of warning since you commented about getting a bad headache when skipping EC for a day: DON'T COME OFF EC AND START BROMO SIMULTANEOUSLY. I didn't do this myself so this is merely conjecture, but both the first week off EC and the first week on bromo feel somewhat similar, so I'm fairly certain it'd REALLY suck to do both at the same time.

Maki Riddington
10-23-2002, 11:18 AM
Thanks, I won't be starting the bromo until late Feb or March.
I'm going to ween myself off of the EC slowly after November.

Maki Riddington
10-25-2002, 12:51 AM
Day 146

25 mins cardio and shoulders and triceps today. I slept 11 hours last night. I'm dying here, low cals plus cardio is kiling me softly.

MonStar
10-25-2002, 06:42 AM
25 mins cardio and shoulders and triceps today. I slept 11 hours last night. I'm dying here, low cals plus cardio is kiling me softly.

Yeah Maki cardio and low calories will slowly kill you. :):) Why not post your workouts?

Maki Riddington
10-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Day 147

Monstar, I'm lazy. So the less I have to write the better it is. Plus who cares what Ilift. Just as long as I get results. I've never been one to care much about my strength levels. Just as long as I look big. Course with size comes strength, well to a certain degree and I figure my strength levels are ok. But nothing to write down. Unless of course I impress myself and I feel the need to share it with you guys/gals. :)

Weighed in at: 207
Wow I'm down half a pound from last week. At this rate I'll be ripped in 3 years. Great job Maki, you're doing a swell job!!

Anyways, I'll be doing 30 mins cardio and back/biceps today. Then it's off to party with my buds birthday. I'll be in the gym tomorrow to do some more cardio.

I'll be doing cardio till the end of November. Then I'll cease and desist cardio for awhile (3 months). Gosh I hate doing it. I usually find one song on my cd and hit the replay button so I can listen to it over and over and over and over........... until I'm done.

Mystic Eric
10-26-2002, 08:01 PM
Day 147

Monstar, I'm lazy. So the less I have to write the better it is. Plus who cares what Ilift. Just as long as I get results. I've never been one to care much about my strength levels. Just as long as I look big. Course with size comes strength, well to a certain degree and I figure my strength levels are ok. But nothing to write down. Unless of course I impress myself and I feel the need to share it with you guys/gals. :)

Weighed in at: 207
Wow I'm down half a pound from last week. At this rate I'll be ripped in 3 years. Great job Maki, you're doing a swell job!!

Anyways, I'll be doing 30 mins cardio and back/biceps today. Then it's off to party with my buds birthday. I'll be in the gym tomorrow to do some more cardio.

I'll be doing cardio till the end of November. Then I'll cease and desist cardio for awhile (3 months). Gosh I hate doing it. I usually find one song on my cd and hit the replay button so I can listen to it over and over and over and over........... until I'm done.

LOL can't wait to see you ripped in 3 years!

Btw, come to the coop tomorrow. Manveet will be there.

Maki Riddington
10-30-2002, 05:19 PM
back tracking a bit.

Day 147

Back and biceps today with some cardio. I ran for the first time in 1 year. I ran for 20 mins and I basically drowned the treadmill in sweat. I listened to Eminem's track 'Lose Yourself' the whole time to keep me pumped. I then cooled down to Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together'.

Actually felt good afterwards, not tiered at all.

Maki Riddington
10-30-2002, 05:23 PM
Day 151

I did my chest last night and 10 mins of cardio. My legs were sore from my workout the night before.

Anyways, I did for bench something a little different just cause I wanted to see how I'd react to sub max singles.

1. 225x1
2. 255x1
3. 260x1
4. 265x1
5. 275x1
6. 280x1
7. 225x10 to failure and then stripped off some weight and did 135x7

My form sucked on my singles. I'll be going back to doubles next week.

I took some pics last night to track my progress. They will be posted in 4-5 months after I've reached my goal. This way you can see my transformation over a period of 7 months.

Maki Riddington
10-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Day 152

I did 20 mins of running after my back and biceps training last night. I'm soooooooooooooooo tiered today. Probably because my post workout shake was comprised of 5 cheese puffs and some nuts.

I also thought I might need to do a carb up because I was having these increadible hunger pangs that I couldn't control. I figured, "uh oh my leptin levels are low." Then I was thinking that it wasn't due to leptin levels but rather the fact that I had run out of my EC and my hunger was coming back. Damn it, I have to buy some more in the next coming days. But I'll just buy a cheap stack that is still quite potent. I can get this under the counter stuff for 15 dollars which is like 10 bucks US and is so potent I puke after taking two caps.

I was looking at my progress pics and I'm very happy with my progress to date. You can see quite a chnage within my body through the past 1.5 years. I've added more muscle, become thicker and I feel much better about myself, although I'm still not as big as I want to be. I don't think I ever will be.

Maki Riddington
10-31-2002, 09:21 PM
Day 152

Might as well update tonights workout today.
I did my shoulders and after this I'll be off to go do some cardio 20-30 mins worth.

It was kinda funny when I was working my shoulders out. There was this big chinese guy walking around in a tank top. Big guy, but it's just bulk. Grunts and groans when he works out so you know he's lifting hardand heavy. Anyways, the gym I was at only had dumbbells up to 70 so I decided to do my shoulder presses with them. He was using the 60's and was having a hard time doing them. He was doing like 6 reps with them and was slamming the weights down afterwards. I asked him if I could work in and he said yes. If he had said no I would have anyways. So, off I go lifting my 70's for an easy 6 reps. No groaning and after I was finished I carefully laid them down with out even a sound. I did this for 6 sets. While he struggled with the 60's for another 2 sets.

Moral of the story? I'm stronger and I don't need to show off my strength to prove my manhood. Not that 70 pound dumbbellls are anything to boast about.

Anyhoo, I had a refreshing talk with this cute latino female who is one hell of a lifter. Benches, deadlifts, chins ups, you name it. A real mans women if you know what I mean. We got to talking about the body and how complicated it is and so on. She's a very bright lady and is eager to learn about working out and how the body responds. I lent her my copy of Siff's "Facts and Fallacies of Fitness" so she could learn some things. However, admist our conversation, I had gotten so wrapped up in our disscussion I failed to mention this site. Oops! Next time.

Other then that, it's halloween and the fireworks and firecrackers are going off like mad down here in the ghetto.
Tomorrow looks like a rest day for me. We'll see.

WillKuenzel
10-31-2002, 11:55 PM

Moral of the story? I'm stronger and I don't need to show off my strength to prove my manhood. Not that 70 pound dumbbellls are anything to boast about.But it makes you feel better nonetheless. It never hurts to get a little ego buster at the cost of somebody else's humility. I digress. 70's are something to boast about.

However, admist our conversation, I had gotten so wrapped up in our disscussion I failed to mention this site. Oops! Next time. LOL, what about her number?

Mystic Eric
11-01-2002, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by HomeYield
But it makes you feel better nonetheless. It never hurts to get a little ego buster at the cost of somebody else's humility. I digress. 70's are something to boast about.

LOL, what about her number?

LOL the guy has a fiancee...

WillKuenzel
11-01-2002, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric
LOL the guy has a fiancee... LOL, ahhh. Sounds like the girl didn't know that though. ;)

tuttut on the number thing then. Nevertheless its good to meet a girl interested in lifting and not just cardio.

Maki Riddington
11-01-2002, 07:11 PM
Day 153

Weighed in at 205.2 this morning.

I don't hit on women at work. Anyways, more thoughts to come after this weekend.

Accipiter
11-01-2002, 09:15 PM
Day 144

I had a great nap this afternoon (1.5). I was still hopped on fat burners so I figured I wouldn't be ale to sleep but I guess I was so beat that I slept anyways.

Did my chest tonight. I changed it up a bit. So now I'm doing doubles instead. It went like this:

1. 250x2
2. 250x2
3. 250x2
4. 250x2
5. 255x2
6. 255x2
7. 255x2
8. 255x2
9. 150x24

so what's your max on benching anyway? I'm just trying to get a feel for where the 255x2 falls. After the whole 8x8 thing for Squats that I did on Halloween I'm wondering how I could apply this to other heavy compound movements
I went to go do my cardio afterwards but my batteries died 2 minutes into my session. So I quit.

Accipiter
11-01-2002, 09:19 PM
Day 152

Moral of the story? I'm stronger and I don't need to show off my strength to prove my manhood. Not that 70 pound dumbbellls are anything to boast about.

if it's me it's something to boast about :)

Maki Riddington
11-02-2002, 04:27 PM
Accip said,
so what's your max on benching anyway? I'm just trying to get a feel for where the 255x2 falls. After the whole 8x8 thing for Squats that I did on Halloween I'm wondering how I could apply this to other heavy compound movements

*** I think you were saying this?
I don't know what my max is but it's poo awful, that I know for sure. When I can bench 400 then I'll brag about it.

Because these were sub max sets it would be difficult to say especially since the ratings of percieved exertions will vary from person to person when doing this. What I'm blabbering about is that how hard it feels is relative to the person at that time and his/her state of mind. My guess would be about 295 maybe 300.

To me that is a weak ass bench. I'm so asahmed that I have a weak bench press and I am being serious when I say this. To ME I feel that when I can do 400 pounds I'll be on top of the world.
Well sorta, for at least a couple minutes after I conplete this feat of ape strength.

Accipiter
11-02-2002, 05:05 PM
lol, yeah I understand what you're saying about that

ectx
11-02-2002, 07:41 PM
I basically drowned the treadmill in sweat. I listened to Eminem's track 'Lose Yourself' the whole time to keep me pumped. I then cooled down to Al Green, 'Let's Stay Together'.

Interesting music combo there Maki. "Angry white music" is usually what I start off my workouts with. A couple of weeks ago it was also 'Lose Yourself'.

You crack me up with your "weak ass bench" because right now I'd be happy with 255. I guess that's one of the cool things about progression. When do you plan on competing?

btw, I read your journal regularly, just don't post much in it. I've enjoyed it thus far. Perhaps later I'll even grace you with some Spam. okay, maybe not.

Maki Riddington
11-02-2002, 07:51 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh, sweet someone actually posts other than Mystic Gay boy.

I want to compete after my wedding which is at the end of the next summer. My goal would be 180 but I'll be happy with 170-175. Then I will bulk to about 230 hopefully.

I really am working on improving my bench press, I'mnot happy with it. A 300 pound bench press is not impressive for myself. I am totally unsatisfied with this and will strive for 400 within the next 2-3 years.

Maki Riddington
11-04-2002, 06:40 PM
Day 156

Curse this earth in which gives lift to my feet
The rocks and the roots that entangle my step
The air which cools my sweat
The women who are passing me continously

Sunday morning I awaken to sunshine and blue skies. Today is the day I will go for my long awaited hike. I will attempt the Grouse Grind. Boy was I in for a suprise. The idiot I am and thinking that the hike would be a breeze I decided to skip breakfast. Stupid mistake, as I found this out early into my hike.

I went with a couple of friends and my finacee. The first 3 mins were easy, the other hour and seventeen minutes were pure torture. I felt like puking many times, my legs were numb, I was weak, I was dizzy and I was thirsty. Damn this trail!

Being a good friend my buddy stayed with me while my fiance let me eat her dirt. She finished in 55 mins. I believe her words when I emerged throught the brush were, "good job baby." Could you rub it any more. That's what happens when you decide to forego (sp) cardio and lift weights. I think I depleted every muscle store in my body of glycogen. I did take some pics which I will post as soon as I get new batteries.

Moral of this story, eat breakfast, do your cardio.

Back tracking to friday, I had a interesting converstaion with some ladies at my gym and how the female on the front cover of Muscular Developement had nasty boobies or should I say a nasty boob job. I took my time critiquing the pictures so I could formulate a well rounded opinion. :) I had to admit though that the surgeon did a bad job. Oh well.

Saturday I went out for drinks and watched for the 10th time Carlito's Way. A classic Al Pacino movie.

Fast forwarding to today, I have to do legs. I can hardly stand the excitment and joy that is bubbling forth from anticipation to this workout.

Other then that. I'm still fat, although my quads were looking quite Chaselike this morning.

Maki Riddington
11-05-2002, 02:57 PM
The pictures from my torturous hike.

Maki Riddington
11-05-2002, 02:58 PM
Another one.

Maki Riddington
11-05-2002, 02:59 PM
Last one.

Maki Riddington
11-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Day 157

Ok, my legs are tiered, not sore, just tiered.
Had a crappy leg workout but that's cause I was fatigued from the killer hike.

After a conversation I had with Powerman I have decided to experiment with a chest program idea I came up with.

It's twice a week. Bare in mid that somes changes will be made to tweak it along the way.

The first day goes like this:

Rack lock outs (pins set at aprox 90 degree angle at my elbow when in the bottom position of the lift)

5x2
Test 95% of my 1RM
2x2 105% of my 1RM
3x2 100% of my 1RM

Might add to this, we'll see.

Day 2

Isometric holds (explosive isometrics)
5 reps held each for 5 seconds using 70% of my 1RM
Rest 10-30 seconds between each rep

A tad difficult because I have no extra pins to use so I'll have some place their hands at my sticking point. Pressing the weight up from my chest into his hands I will keep pushing at that sticking point for the above time I've mentioned. ROM is probably about an inch in this exercise.

Speed Bench using 68% of my 1RM
3x3

Repeat this for 3 weeks and then I'll try my max.
It should have gone up so that now my old 100% 1RM is now my 95% or lower 1RM. Make sense?

Sounds complicated and a bit extreme we'll see.

My 1RM is 300 pounds on the bench. Very sucky to say the least.

MonStar
11-05-2002, 09:58 PM
Idea for chest program looks good Maki. Good luck with it. Whats your goal for your 1RM on your bench?

Saturday Fever
11-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Interesting idea. How are you going to schedule these days? Are you going to feel it out, or do you have a set "3 days off" or whatnot?

WillKuenzel
11-05-2002, 10:58 PM
My 1RM is 300 pounds on the bench. Very sucky to say the least.

<-----realizes that's his squat

I don't care what you say. Its a good healthy number to say the least.

Maki Riddington
11-05-2002, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Saturday Fever
Interesting idea. How are you going to schedule these days? Are you going to feel it out, or do you have a set "3 days off" or whatnot?

Bench days will be Tuesday and Friday.

Tonight I will let you know how it went.

Maki Riddington
11-06-2002, 12:46 AM
Day 158

Quick update on my first session of this program.
I basically felt up my weight that I was using so I could get a better idea of what I was up against.

I set the pins too low so I failed right off the bat when I did my 315. I got so angry I ended up doing 3 more failed attempts before realizing what was happening. I failed on the way up the first time, then I rested and failed again 2 more times on the decent. This irritated me to some extent. So much so I let a big slew of profanities out in the gym. Oops.

Basically when I looked at the end I realized that I was almost doing a full bench press, well maybe half an inch away.
So I will be doing:

300x2 for 2 sets
290x2 for 3 sets

My form was good once I tightened it up, I however felt it quite a bit in my chest and I have a decent pump from this.

WillKuenzel
11-06-2002, 01:12 AM
Will this be the only thing you do during this workout or will you add some accessories to this for triceps?

Maki Riddington
11-06-2002, 01:26 AM
That's all.

Triceps are done with my biceps on Friday's.

Maki Riddington
11-08-2002, 01:58 AM
Day 159

My back/biceps were sore from last nights workout. No special poundages to post about.

I some how got suckered into running a 5 km run with my mom come this monday. So I'm doing some last minute cramming in preperation. I hate running!!!!

I ran for 30 min and then rode the bike for 15 mins after doing my shoulders and chest. I was drenched.

So far my eating has consisted of Mcdonalds almost every day and the weight is coming off. I still have a ways to go.

Mystic Eric
11-08-2002, 02:04 AM
Day 159

My back/biceps were sore from last nights workout. No special poundages to post about.

I some how got suckered into running a 5 km run with my mom come this monday. So I'm doing some last minute cramming in preperation. I hate running!!!!

I ran for 30 min and then rode the bike for 15 mins after doing my shoulders and chest. I was drenched.

So far my eating has consisted of Mcdonalds almost every day and the weight is coming off. I still have a ways to go.

LOL can you even still run?

Maki Riddington
11-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Barely.........

Mystic Eric
11-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Oh boy lol yo'ure gonna be burned for a week after the run haha. Especially 5 K lol.

I used to do 2.2 K in like 10 min or something for PE... not anymore though :(

Maki Riddington
11-12-2002, 07:16 PM
Day 163

I skipped my run on friday but did my arms.
I basically engorged my body with food this weekend during a 3 day period.

I weighed in today at 208.

By the grace of god I ended up not having to run the 5 km race. My mom was tiered and decided to skip it. So amongst the food and drink this weekend I had a good time talking with this Ethiopian fellow who is staying with my family. He's an escaped goverment official who was at the risk of being excuted because of his links to the goverment he was working for. So now his 12 kids and wife are still over there until he can raise enough money to bring them over. Anyways, it was an eye opener to say the least.

I also have been thinking long and hard about getting back into football (soccer). Now that I've put on a good 40 pounds I'm much faster, explosive and can smak the footy pretty damn hard.
Not to brag but I was a damn good player, good enough to go pro but I chose to party instead of practice. Now I want to start back into it but at a recreational level so I can get my groove back. Also with work I can't afford to comit to a team that is serious. As well, this means my training will have to change to accomodate my renewed love.

So I'll be doing a new routine up. I'll still do the bench press program.

BennettBoy
11-12-2002, 07:35 PM
I also have been thinking long and hard about getting back into football (soccer). Now that I've put on a good 40 pounds I'm much faster, explosive and can smak the footy pretty damn hard.
Not to brag but I was a damn good player, good enough to go pro but I chose to party instead of practice. Now I want to start back into it but at a recreational level so I can get my groove back. Also with work I can't afford to comit to a team that is serious. As well, this means my training will have to change to accomodate my renewed love.

Go for it man. It sounds like it would be alot of fun. How does your fiance feel about you playing?

Maki Riddington
11-12-2002, 07:50 PM
My fiance has been pushing me to do this for awhile.
I'll be looking to play striker position since I am very fast and strong now.

So for now, before I make my debut I'll have to get back into shape and get my touch back. I figure skipping and wind sprints once a week will do for now.

Manveet
11-12-2002, 07:54 PM
Good luck with the soccer dude.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-13-2002, 08:39 AM
There's more demand for quality central (or especially left sided) midfielders than strikers, Maki. every twat and their dog are strikers.

Become the daddy play-maker in the middle of the field.

Maki Riddington
11-13-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
There's more demand for quality central (or especially left sided) midfielders than strikers, Maki. every twat and their dog are strikers.

Become the daddy play-maker in the middle of the field.

*** Honestly, it comes down to running. I hate it, and playing a midfield position puts you in the unpleasant situation of running your butt all over the pitch. Not my thing. I did however play it while I played at a 'select' level here in Canada. I can pretty much drop the ball were I want on the field and thread the ball through players. But it's my cardio that keeps me from excelling, more specifically my laziness as I explained. Come to thin of it, I can play any position with ease. And have done so. I've played defense for the last 4 years, sweeper which I hate because I had to mark a couple players who are now playing at a world cup level and it always came down to me and them. Of course a couple times I was beaten and it ended up in a goal. But most have the time I got the ball away from them. I played striker in my younger years earning me a total of 40 goals in one season and also got awarded the player of the year in my city. It sound like I'm boasting but it's one area I'm more then confident and know I have a god given talent to play at a very high level if I put my mind to it.

The striker position will suit me as I have deadly burst of speed which can put me past a lot of people very quickly. I have a hard shot, and it's acurate. I just need to work on my consistancy. I shine and then foul up. It's been like that since I can remember. I make a several brilliant plays and then I pass the ball away or make a stupid move. Mentally I have a lot to work as I find myself getting down on myself too much. this kills me.

Anyways, I did my chest and triceps last night.
The cage was taken so i had to improvise so I just switched the workout. I did:

255x3 for 3 sets
260x3 for 1 sets on my last set
1 set of flys
1 set of high incline dumbells presses
Both of these to failure.

For my triceps I did 3 sets to failure which absolutely trashed my triceps. One set of 6 reps, one set of 8 reps and one set 12 reps.
French press, cable press downs, dumbbell tricep extensions

My arms are sooooooooo fatigued today. I have no strength, the same goes for my chest.
Training to failure is going to be great now. My calories are going to be bumped up to 2000-2300 a day. I'll be doing cardio once a week and I'll be smacking the soccer ball around also once a week until I feel confident my touch is ok. I'm also getting my coaching certificate which is being paid for by my work and wil be running a soccer camp this spring and summer.

Basically I'm a busy guy nowadays so I've asked Dan to take me off the moderators list. I can't post here much or as much as I want to now. I can't debate, or argue like I want to because my time needs to be rationed. So I'll just lurk like many others do and post when time allows me to.

I'm doing my back tonight.
2 sets of chins to failure, 2 sets of close grip lat pulldowns to failure and 4-5 sets of speed deadlifts for 2 reps.

I'll be incorperating more lifts such as the deadlift, cleans and it's variations, speed squats and some balance training using the reebok core board. My bodybuilding type movements will be limited more and more as I switch styles.

Some thoughts though I had on training:

When it comes to hypertrophy it's more about what goes on in the muscle then how much you eat.

In otherwords, training is 70 percent

Postworkout shakes are very important.

Fructose is given a bad rep

When dieting, ratios aren't that important, it's calories in vs calories out. All these fancy diets and ideas are overbaord, such as leptin etc....

When doing cardio eat more carbs.
It saves your muscle. Just keep protein at 1 gram per pound of bodyweight or even lower. I would say lower.

I had more, but I can't remember them.

Maki Riddington
11-15-2002, 05:55 PM
Day 166

Weighed in at 206.5

My eating is consistent. Basically I eat 200 grams of protein and 200 grams of carbs. I keep my fat intake around 50 grams a day.

If I feel very hungery one day I just eat more carbs and fat.
My body is aching because of my failure training. 3 sets and my muscles are more then wiped out. I've been sleeping 10 hours a day lately, as my body isn't accustomed to this kind of stress being placed on it.

I doubt I'll get down to 200 by Decemer 15th but who knows.

Hehe, I was looking at an old article I wrote for a site.
It's kinda neat to look back and see where I started from.

http://www.indoinfo.net/life/health/index.html

Here's the magazines site I'll be writing for. My article should appear in their first magazine that's being launched ina week or so.

www.istylemagazine.com

Maki Riddington
11-15-2002, 11:50 PM
Day 166/67

Whatever.

I just finished up my chest and triceps workout tonight.
Chest workout went better since the cage was open.

pins set at 90 degrees
305x1 for 3 sets I failed on the 2cnd set due to poor form.

365x1 for 3 sets with the pin set so I was doing the quarter top of the movement

225 paused in the very bottom for 4 sets of 5 seconds each

Triceps 3 sets x8,12,6 two sets to failure.

Now I'm off for a dinner and movie compliments of my fiance.
We're eating greek so I'm gonna pig out.
:D

Maki Riddington
11-16-2002, 10:41 PM
Day 168

Just finished doing my shoulders and biceps

4 sets for shoulders
3 sets for biceps

Ouch!

Now I'm off to the pub to have some pints, wings, pizza and souvlaki. Yummmmmmmmmmmy.
I gotta be up early tomorrow to help my buddy do his photo shoot wth a couple of his models. That's what friends are for right.:)

Manveet
11-16-2002, 10:47 PM
Wings and pizza sound damn good. Souvlaki? Never tried it.

Maki Riddington
11-19-2002, 01:44 AM
Day 170

I was tiered today after a 12 hour day. But I still managed a leg day.

3 sets of 3 reps for my jump squats and 2 sets of 3 performing a explosive squat using double my weight I used for my jump squats.

Then I did 2 sets one with 12 reps and one with 6 reps doing squats on the Reebok core board.

3 heavy seated calf raises for 4 reps and I was done.

BennettBoy
11-19-2002, 07:20 AM
Maki, what is your occupation?

Maki Riddington
11-19-2002, 05:43 PM
Personal Trainer and weight room instructor.

You know, one of those guys that tells you that you can't deadlift and squatting is bad fgor the knees. I also give out high rep programs to the beach bunnies so they can get toned.
:p

Aragorn
11-20-2002, 08:21 PM
I also give out high rep programs to the beach bunnies so they can get toned.
:p

He ain't lying either :D

Aragorn

ElPietro
11-21-2002, 08:08 AM
Mac do you think just squats are enough work for the hamstrings? I know that if you overdevelop your quads in respect to the hammies you set yourself up for injury, so was just wondering your thoughts on this, as I saw you only did squats and calf raises for legs.

Maki Riddington
11-22-2002, 12:21 AM
I'm asuming you would be asking this because of the so called strength ratio between the hams and quads that have been published?

My short answer is that it is too hard to find a aproximate ratio that shows that injury will be less likely to occur. I have started to do speed deads using 2 -3 reps for 5 sets. This is to increase my starting strength because I need to be exlposive from a dead stop if I'm to be sucessfully play a striker position.

Other then that I do need to bring my hams up if I want to have a symetrical lower body.

ElPietro
11-22-2002, 01:47 PM
Yeah, the ratio is what I was referring to, however, it does seem to make sense. When you are sprinting you are driving with your quads which extend your hamstrings, and then you sorta push off with your hammies to get your leg infront of you to drive off of again. So they need to be A) strong, and B) flexible, especially in relation to your quadricep. I dunno, I just feel that your hamstring, even though smaller than the quadriceps, is still a very sizeable muscle body and should be trained directly, just as quads generally are. If not you are neglecting a large portion of your lower body and perhaps setting up a greater potential for injury. If I got something wrong with the mechanics of running feel free to correct me.

Maki Riddington
11-22-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by ElPietro
Yeah, the ratio is what I was referring to, however, it does seem to make sense. When you are sprinting you are driving with your quads which extend your hamstrings, and then you sorta push off with your hammies to get your leg infront of you to drive off of again. So they need to be A) strong, and B) flexible, especially in relation to your quadricep. I dunno, I just feel that your hamstring, even though smaller than the quadriceps, is still a very sizeable muscle body and should be trained directly, just as quads generally are. If not you are neglecting a large portion of your lower body and perhaps setting up a greater potential for injury. If I got something wrong with the mechanics of running feel free to correct me.

*** I believe the ratio works out to be so that the extensors are to be 1.5 xs stronger then the flexors of the knee. But from what I've read there is no scientific literature that supports this ratio using a controlled study. On top of that, this ratio would be dependant on the type of sport being played, the joint angle and the tourque that occurs around the joint.

During a sprint basically what happens is a flexion and extension of the hips. So if we were to look at the primary muscles involved you would they would be: quads and iloapsis in hip flexion and contributing to the extension of the hips: entire posterior chain. Now at the knee: the hams contract to flex the knee and the quads contract to extend the knee. In the squat the hamstrings are involved with the flexion of the knee as well as the extension of the hip so to say I'm not working them as much would be dependant on how I squat. Deeper knee flexion induces more hamstring activation as opposed to parallel.

Basically there is a flow or an exchange of musclular action which provides movement, if there is an imbalance at a particular muscle that does not mean the chance of injury is increased nessicarily. That is a possibility, but there are more tissues at work then simply looking the contraction of the muscles during a sprint. Note, it is more a function of the nervous system and how it relays the message back to the brain that will determine if the movement pattern will be disrupted due to an imbalance. If we also look at the musculotendinous units you will see that an imbalance may not always be the result but rather the failure to store and use this elastic energy properly.

This is why I said I have been incorperating low rep ballistic type movements for my hamstrings. I'm training my nervous system more so then my fibres per say.

I've been playing soccer since I was 5 years old. I've been training for this sport using the squat primarily since I was 17. I have never hurt my hamstrings thus far and I hope (knock on wood) I don't in the future.

Maki Riddington
11-22-2002, 05:13 PM
Day 173

Weighed in at 202.2 :eek:

I'm still pudgy. Sleeping has increased to about 10 hours a night.
I have to work tonight, and then I'm up early tomorrow to take a course all day sat/Sun to get my coaching cert. Plus I work tomorrow night.

Boohoo:cry:

ectx
11-22-2002, 05:42 PM
Pudgy, shmudgy...from the last pics you posted you look great.

Nice rundown on hams vs quads....gotta question for you...
does this differ for long distance runners? I was always told by my distance coach that hams were generally stronger in distance runners than quads. This bugs me because, personally I think my quads are a bit weak and I have mcl problems. I don't want to put any more strain on my knees than need be. PT also put more emphasis on my quads than anything else. Was the guy (coach, not physical therapist) full of it? Anyhow, thanks in advance Maki.

Maki Riddington
11-22-2002, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ectx
[B]

Nice rundown on hams vs quads....gotta question for you...
does this differ for long distance runners? I was always told by my distance coach that hams were generally stronger in distance runners than quads.

*** I've never heard that so I don't know what to say except I would be very interested to hear why the hams are supposedly stronger then the quads in LDRs. Could you ask him and let me know? Maybe it has to do with your stride length more specifically taking a shorter then normal one?

This bugs me because, personally I think my quads are a bit weak and I have mcl problems. I don't want to put any more strain on my knees than need be.

*** How do you know your quads are a weaker group?
And what exactly are these mcl problems you are talking of?

PT also put more emphasis on my quads than anything else. Was the guy (coach, not physical therapist) full of it? Anyhow, thanks in advance Maki.

*** Your personal trainer placed more empahsis on your quads?
Sorry if I'm having difficulty understanding this last entence. It's brain fog on my part.:)

ectx
11-22-2002, 06:54 PM
I'll ask my old running coach, but being that I don't do long distance any more I only see him every once in a while. I'll get back to you on that.

As for the quads being weaker I don't know exactly. I just can't squat much and my leg extensions aren't quite what they should be...compared to leg curls and sldls I think they're weaker...this is purely subjective and I could be talking out my a**, but it's just how I feel.

I tore my medial collateral ligament a while back because of overtraining and a bad overpronation problem. This is the MCL I speak of. It's the ligament that runs along side the inner knee. I tore it right below my knee. Judging by the scar tissue that accumulated I think it was a 3rd degree tear. It tore at an unusual spot though...or at least that's what I'm told. I guess you soccer players deal a lot more with acl injuries, which are on the back of the knee (if I remember my anatomy correctly).

Okay, last part...LOL, no, not personal trainer...physical therapist. LOL. He had me do a series of stretches and then worked me up to extensions when I was healed enough. No apologies needed for brain fog. It seems I'm in a constant state of it.

Silverback
11-23-2002, 03:23 AM
Doing well Maki, dont worry about feeling a bit pudgy its probs all the foreign foods your eating, i also liked your little peice on hypertrophy and what goes into the muscle, sweet little pointers.

I find that most long distance runners have muscle imbalances, ive been working on it at uni and the hamstring seems to be favoured balance wise, we have been designing programs to equal the two muscles for more effective running. not sure if its what you want but i though id give my opinion.

Maki Riddington
11-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Big-Ron

I find that most long distance runners have muscle imbalances, ive been working on it at uni and the hamstring seems to be favoured balance wise, we have been designing programs to equal the two muscles for more effective running. not sure if its what you want but i though id give my opinion.

*** I don't work with runners so this is not my area.
Thanks for your feedback.

Silverback
11-23-2002, 07:10 PM
Sorry man, bit of an innaproptiate post, but i thought that i give my opinion.

How are you feeling while trying to cut down? i.e. psychologically just wondering, as im trying to build some info on the psychological side of Bodybuilding for my own research. Ive asked quite a few people and awaiting most of the results.

Maki Riddington
11-23-2002, 07:26 PM
Mentally, I feel awful. But I think that everyone needs to work on conquering this battle they have with themselves and their body.

I feel like I'm so small. It's only when I take my shirt off after a workout that I feel good. I'm pumped, my muscles are full and I actually feel like I'll have a shot at bodybuilding. Then it comes crashing down and I feel small, flat and weak about 30 mins later when the pump has worn off. Iron is like a drug, you need it to feel better about yourself, but when the effect wears off you're back at square one. I think thats' why I'm working out 6 days a week right now. I need this feeling to counteract the feeling that I'm steadily shrinking.

Silverback
11-24-2002, 04:04 AM
Mentally, I feel awful. But I think that everyone needs to work on conquering this battle they have with themselves and their body.

I feel like I'm so small. It's only when I take my shirt off after a workout that I feel good. I'm pumped, my muscles are full and I actually feel like I'll have a shot at bodybuilding. Then it comes crashing down and I feel small, flat and weak about 30 mins later when the pump has worn off. Iron is like a drug, you need it to feel better about yourself, but when the effect wears off you're back at square one. I think thats' why I'm working out 6 days a week right now. I need this feeling to counteract the feeling that I'm steadily shrinking.

That kind of post seems to be general consensus, to be honest this is how i feel, people keep telling me that im big, but only compared to them. I want to be up at higher levels, but my self imagined is slightly distorted and im a bit harsh on my self. i have eased off lately which is encouraging.

IMO you look great, but everyone has their own viewpoint and ideas, which is their goal. So really if you are in the Iron game you have to keep wanting more, its probably the only way.

B-R

ectx
11-24-2002, 10:25 AM
sorry about degenerating your journal earlier Maki. Hey...at least I wasn't inappropriate. *LOL*

As far as that last post...I've seen your pics...I'd be pretty happy if I looked as good as you do. You look great Maki, don't sell yourself short.

Maki Riddington
11-25-2002, 11:17 AM
Ectx, you did not degenerate this thread.

:)

Maki Riddington
11-26-2002, 12:47 AM
Day 176

Leg workout, another long day (13 hours). It will be 15 days at the end of this weekend with no day off.

I'm beat.

Leg day went like this:

3 sets of 3 reps of jump squats
3 sets of 2 reps of speed squats
3 sets of 1 rep max squat
1 set of 6 reps squatting on the core board with 70 pound dumbbells.

3 sets of 6 reps for the seated calf raise.

Maki Riddington
11-27-2002, 06:11 PM
Day 177

Chest and triceps day today.
I did my 2 sets of bench and then got into a lengthy conversation with the guy who was helping me with my bench techique. We talked and he shared some of his training tips which I found to be interesting. Basically he incorperates an upper body type plyometric ss with a incline press which is set at a really steep angle.

Did some triceps (2 sets) and that was that. I've found that my body is not so much sore now, but it's fatigued. I feel weak the next day when I wake up in the morning. I like this feeling.

Food is same as always. I had mcdonalds yesterday and today. 5 burgers each day and 2 mrps. That's about 2100 cals. Poifect!

No supps except an mrp.
Tonight it's back and hams.

Franjipani
11-27-2002, 06:17 PM
I feel weak the next day when I wake up in the morning. I like this feeling.

:nod: Me too....coupled with the fact I'm sore as hell !!!

btw.... Based on your last pics...I think you look sen-frickin-sational;)

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-27-2002, 06:21 PM

Food is same as always. I had mcdonalds yesterday and today. 5 burgers each day and 2 mrps. That's about 2100 cals. Poifect!

You serious?

Maki Riddington
11-27-2002, 06:45 PM
Yes.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-27-2002, 06:51 PM
Interesting strategy.

Maki Riddington
11-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Well I figured I'd go a different route so I could see what happens.

The_Chicken_Daddy
11-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Yeah, go for it.

Maki Riddington
11-28-2002, 03:58 PM
Day 178

I'm very tiered. My body is very tiered, so I'll be resting today. So much work to do and so little time to relax. My fiance commented (which is very rare) that I've lost a ton of weight. She doesn't comment because she sees me every day and so the changes are very hard to see. But apparently they were clear last night.
My abs are coming in which cool because they're slowly showing more and more.

I was looking at mysel in the mirror this morning and for once I'm actually happy with my body. I guess today I'm actually basking in my hard work. It felt nice to gloat to myself that I looked good. Sure I'm not pro material and I don't stand up to alot of other physiques on this board but I can't let that weigh me down. I'm proud of my accomplishments and I believe that my chest is finally coming in.

I measured myself this morning (weight:200?).

Arms flexed: a tad over 16 inches
Quads flexed a tad over 25 inches
Chest: a tad over 42 inches
Calves flexed:16.5 inches
Waist: 34 inches

My last measurements from awhile back were (weight: 215):

My legs are 26 cold and 27 flexed.
My arms are 14.5 cold and 16 and a bit flexed.
My calfs are 16.5 cold and 17.5 or a bit flexed.
My chest is 42
My wrist is 7 inches.
Waist: 37 inches

I've lost some size in my legs but whatever.
I guess what I'm saying is that today I feel good about myself.
Not that I don't like my body it's just that today was an extra special day.

Silverback
11-28-2002, 04:11 PM
Congrats on feeling better about your physique maki, my stats are almost identical to yours apart from my arms are 2" smaller!, and im 7lbs lighter. Oh well, keep up the good work and good luck with the change of diet :)

B-R

MonStar
11-29-2002, 07:13 AM
Arms flexed: a tad over 16 inches
Quads flexed a tad over 25 inches
Chest: a tad over 42 inches
Calves flexed:16.5 inches
Waist: 34 inches

Awesome measurements Maki, damn. I keep forgetting how big you are. Arm size is great, quads are huge, and so are your calves. Keep up the hard work man, seriously. :thumbup::thumbup:

Maki Riddington
11-29-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks Monstar. But I'm not that happy with my quads.

Pup
11-29-2002, 07:00 PM
Me neither maki...i want them bastards up to 28 inches!

Maki Riddington
11-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Day 179

Oh lord, may you have mercy on my pectoral muscles.

I had a crazy chest and tricep workout with this dude at the gym. The one who's been helping me with my bench press.

Good god almighty, this man put me through a 30 set workout. :eek: All to failure!!!
I'm so tired right now it's not even funny. My arms are shaking and I'm soooooo sleepy. I don't know if I'm going to be coherent when I go out for wings and brew tonight.

Anyways, my weight was 199.4 this morning. I feel ultra small now. Fat loss is moving along quite smoothly.

Silverback
11-30-2002, 03:17 AM
"Good god almighty, this man put me through a 30 set workout. All to failure!!!"

thats some work mak, i take it you were lifting lower than usual weight, + whats the thinking behind that high set training?

cheers

B-R

Maki Riddington
11-30-2002, 03:51 PM
There's no thinking to this. The man is thinking for me and it's all because I agreed to work out with him.

Actually my chest work out was rather heavy.
It went like this:

145x4
225x4 for 2 sets
245x4
275x4
225x4
205x4
185x4
135x failure

I was so tiered at this point.
Then we did 4 sets of 6 reps of flys to failure using 45 pound dumbbells and the did 4 sets of cable crossovers.

My arms are sooooooo tiered today. I don't think I have enough in me to do my biceps and shoulders today. Plus tomorrow I have to help my buddy do a photo shoot. How am I going to hold the camera in the right position? :help:

Vido
11-30-2002, 05:06 PM
Maki, I have a question regarding your current training because it seems a little bit bizarre to me. Is it not very hard on your body to be doing such heavy, low rep training when you are in a caloric deficit? (And no, I do not think you should be doing high reps to "tone up" or anything, I'm just curious.)

Maki Riddington
11-30-2002, 06:00 PM
Yes it is very hard on my body Vido. But I train in waves. Meaning that I know exactly when to stop this kind of training and use a different rep scheme and intensity level etc..

Of course I'm always open to new things and I will not be so stubborn as to ignore anyones suggestions. Instead I will use them and see what they do for me and make notes.

Silverback
11-30-2002, 06:57 PM
My answer for the camera is 'tripod' :)

Thank you for the breakdown of the bench/flyes i was interested to know what kind of weight and reps you were working at and that has answered it for me.

B-R

Manveet
11-30-2002, 10:56 PM
I guess today I'm actually basking in my hard work. It felt nice to gloat to myself that I looked good

:thumbup: :cool:

Maki Riddington
12-02-2002, 10:03 PM
Day 181

On Saturday I was soooo sore, but I felt better the night before cause I ordered kalamari and lamb souvlaki. Mmmmmmmm. That made sense huh? On sunday I spent the day with my lady shopping and we watched Harry Potter at the theatres. My pick.
:D

Today.
Ohhhh, sooooooooooo tiered. My chest is soooo sore, my arms are soooo fatigued. So I trained my chest and triceps today. My sets were again around 20 sets in total. 14 for chest and 6 for triceps.

I gorged my self on Mcdonalds last night btw.
Felt like sharing that. This journal entry makes no sense.
Ya.

Manveet
12-02-2002, 11:10 PM
Harry Potter eh? Seen that one myself, it was kinda long but pretty good. But I'm looking forward to Lord Of the Rings, that movie will rock.

Maki Riddington
12-05-2002, 08:34 PM
Day 188

Another long day which will end in even more exhaustion. But it will hopefully pay off as I will be leaving for Japan in 10 days. Hopefully I'll be able to visit with Sebi and work out with him or take some sites in.

It's become quite apparent that comepeting next year is going to once again be put on hold. As some may know, I'll be getting married next summer and the wedding plans are already behind schedule. For me to compete, work overtime to pay for the wedding, manage and compile the content for this site, write the monthly newsletter and plan the wedding, is out of the question. I'm dedicated but my wedding is a priority and if I were to tell my finace that I was going to be competing, she would not understand. On top of all this I have to figure out if I'm going to be buying out my lease on my car, returning and buying another car or leasing again. It's quite a pain because money is very tight now. But tis the joy and pains of life that I must bear to become a wiser soul. Whatever the case I'm very tiered mentally and physically.

My workout are going well and my bodyfat is slowly dropping. I'll be doing a little tanning to get some facial color back in my pale face. It's weird how the rest of my body is tanned naturally but my face is so pale in comparison.

Oh ya, I finally I had my first fitness article published in a magazine. I had phoned in yesterday to reserve a copy as it was the last one on the shelves and I picked it up this evening. I was thoroughly dissapointed to find that my artcile had been chopped up and made to read like I was promoting various abdominal exercises to "tone your tummy." It was also shortened because it was apparently to long. To top this off I didn't have any contact email address under my name or a title showing that I was a personal trainer. If I am to continue writing for this magazine I will be letting the editor know that I would like to have these few extra things added in the next time around. Other then that it's one of my accomplisments I've aimed for. Hopefully this will be the start of a long and prosperous fitness writing career.

ectx
12-05-2002, 09:07 PM
Maki...congrats on the article. That's great stuff. What magazine was it in? What part of Japan are you going to? I visited Japan 2 years ago and traveled from Fukuoka all the way up to Tokyo by rail. It was an awesome experience. Have fun and get some R&R, sounds like you'll need it with the wedding coming up.

Maki Riddington
12-06-2002, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by ectx
Maki...congrats on the article. That's great stuff. What magazine was it in? What part of Japan are you going to? I visited Japan 2 years ago and traveled from Fukuoka all the way up to Tokyo by rail. It was an awesome experience. Have fun and get some R&R, sounds like you'll need it with the wedding coming up.

*** I posted the link to the site a couple of pages ago.
I'll be heading to Tokoyo and then off to see some other cities.

Pup
12-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Harry Potter was a kick ass movie, glad you enjoyed it.

Silverback
12-07-2002, 03:30 AM
Good to see that your getting leaner maki, also congrats on the article, although it sounds like they've sold you short somewhat.

Dont worry next time make sure that you get the contact number in order, and you'l be fine.

B-R

Maki Riddington
12-09-2002, 05:57 PM
Day 192

Well I spent all of Saturday running around Victoria looking for a wedding hall, taking my mom shopping for her birthday present (which I might add I paid 300 dollars for, my cheap brothers gave me nothing) I finally finalized my car situation and I was approved for a lease. So I'll be leasing a nice new 2003 honda civic coupe come January. That is if everything works out. I always get the distinct feeling that when everything is going well something bad is going to happen.

Other then that I played Grand Theft Auto Vice City a bit on the weekend. I didn't like it. I shut it off after 5 mins of fooling around.
I stuck with MOH Spearhead on the pc which had me glued on the comp for several hours. I'd play longer but my fiance gets mad at me for playing these so called "childs games."

My passport was supposed to arrive today which it didn't so I'm a tad worried. If I don't get it by Friday I can't go to Japan and my ticket is non refundable. :help:

It's chest and triceps tonight. I'm still tiered but oh well. 4 Mcdonalds burgers, 2 chocolate bars and 2 mrps is what I've had today. I feel like Monstar.:redface:

BennettBoy
12-09-2002, 08:07 PM
LOL, the Monstor diet. Last week I had a chickfillet sandwich and those wafer fries. I never eat fries but I just wanted so dammit....I ate them. Sometimes you got to do it man.

Hope your passport thing works out. Can you call anyone to try to find out the status?

Maki Riddington
12-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Updated Day 192

Workout was tough. I did about 13 sets for chest and about 25 sets for my biceps. I can not believe how tiered my arms are. To top this off the guy I'm working out with wanted to do about 12 sets for forearms, which of course I agreed to do. We've been doing a lot of peak movements coupled with ful ROM movements which is a neat twist. I find that the stretch and peak contraction stuff might just be worthy of using, granted their is full ROM movements used within the program.

Holy DOMS tommorrow. I can't even type properly now. Anyways, I feel like I've come a long way on my cutting phase this time around. I've learned some neat things about the body (mine at least) and what can be done to off set the loss of muscle when lowering calories. In all honesty, I decided to follow Chris Masons advice and simply eat less. so far I'm looking the same size but with more cuts. My stomach still isn't where I want it but I am happy thus far.

I can actually hang with the "big boys" group at the gym and fit in.
Sounds corny but it's something I've always admired when I was just starting out. Those group of guys who were bigger and stronger then me, worked out together and were humble and approachable. Now I'm not a big big guy but I think that I'm above average, enough so that it looks like I workout. A cut above the rest. I'm getting more comments that I've toned down my weight and it feels good. Which is making me want to bulk for just a period of 2 months come mid January. I'm still contemplating this but I think I might do this. Of course it will be a slow bulk, except I'll be feeding myself with the right amount of proteins, fats and carbs to tone down any excessive fat gain that might happen otherwise.

And to finish my thoughts I will eat a Mcdonalds cheesburger post workout and a gatorade.

Sebi
12-11-2002, 10:30 PM
Maki, your progress is incredible. Congratulations.

Have you got your passport yet? It's only 5 days now, isn't it? Can't wait to work out together. :)

Relentless
12-12-2002, 08:21 AM
Other then that I played Grand Theft Auto Vice City a bit on the weekend. I didn't like it. I shut it off after 5 mins of fooling around. I stuck with MOH Spearhead on the pc which had me glued on the comp for several hours. I'd play longer but my fiance gets mad at me for playing these so called "childs games."

Clearly you need to devote more than 5 mins to GTA... that game rocks hard in many, many ways. The first few missions are really all about easing you into the interface and the gameplay. It gets way cooler later on. Trust me, give it a chance and it is fully addictive/immersive.

MOH is also wicked though.

If your fiance (I thought you were already married?) gives you crap, push back when she wants to watch TV or whatever; guys need to be guys and flaking out with a video game is just as legitimate as watching The Practice or whatever. :p

Cal

P.S. Nice bench lifts earlier.
P.P.S. Your journal is an interesting read; I'm glad I made the effort.

Maki Riddington
12-12-2002, 03:51 PM
Cal, talked it over (I'm getting married next summer, not hitched yet) and she agreed. So thanks for the advice buddy.

Here is a old shot of me at 222 and then I'll post a recent pic of me this morning. I'm not flexing, I'm not pumped and I'm flat from the lack of carbs in this recent pic. Plus my camera sucks.

Maki Riddington
12-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Here is me now.

Maki Riddington
12-12-2002, 03:55 PM
I have other shots, But I will post them in a month or so.

Blood&Iron
12-12-2002, 04:03 PM
Here is me now.
Man, you need to stand farther away from the camera, you're way too close.

Looks like you're making nice progress on your cut.

Maki Riddington
12-12-2002, 06:22 PM
If it pleases you, I can take a picture from a further distance.
Otherwise STFU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relentless
12-13-2002, 08:35 AM
nice work, Mak

you can see abs and everything!

(I hope I can manage that level of progress this spring when I do my own cut... if I can drop to 200 or so that'll be some lean shiat)

BennettBoy
12-13-2002, 08:41 AM
Very good Maki. Lookin' lean there fellow.

Manveet
12-13-2002, 10:49 AM
Damn, you've leaned out really well Maki, good work. You're face has leaned out alot as well.

Maki Riddington
12-13-2002, 05:06 PM
Day 195

This will probably be my last journal entry until I come home from Japan and start up again in the new year. So a Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all who read my journal.

I will do a chest and back workout tonight before heading off to see David Copperfield. Lol, the only reason so many know who he is, is because he dated Claudia Schiffer.

Weight: 200 even.

Maki Riddington
01-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Day 221

I'm back. Japan was a trip. I would love to live there. Anyways, I'm back to working out after about a 23 day rest period.

I'm so weak but I don't really care. I've started eating good and my protein intake is high (250). Other then that I 'm going from fat loss to putting on some muscle in the next 2-3 months. Then it will be a straight cut for my wedding in July.

I'll be weighing in on Friday.

xraygirl
01-08-2003, 05:54 PM
Welcome back Maki-san!

Maki Riddington
01-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Thanks, it was so great to see the culture and my family. I definitely will have to figure a way so that I can make a living in the country. I have pictures but I'm to lazy to post them right now.

Maki Riddington
01-11-2003, 02:25 PM
Weight was 202 today without shoes or clothes.

My strength is slowly coming back, but I think I strained one of my errectors. It's been sorta bothering me. Food is clean except for one meal last night which consisted of Mcdonalds and a beer.
Other then that it's looks good.

chris mason
01-11-2003, 02:27 PM
Eat, and eat, and eat, and eat, and you can be a sumo!

Maki Riddington
01-11-2003, 02:36 PM
No, I have a wedding coming up in the summer and I want to be LEAN, LEAN, LEAN!!

So, I don't want my bodyfat levels to get out of hand. If I can work it so I put on maybe 2-3 pounds of muscle in the next 3 months I would be happy. Or I can go the mass route and look like marshmellow come wedding time at 225.

Now, after the honeymoon you can bet I'll be bulking for 230!!!
That's a promise.

Maki Riddington
01-14-2003, 06:18 PM
Day 227

My strength is slowly coming back to me. This I'm happy about. I worked my legs last night and the first sign that I saw was the fact that my squats felt good again. I ended up doing 4 sets of rock bottom squats with a pause at the bottom for 3 reps of 300.

I just might add in another leg day in. As for today, I just finished a back workout and tonight I'll do a quick 15 min bicep workout.

My face is slowly looking better as I don't look so bloated anymore from all my fat gain. That is a plus for me btw.

WillKuenzel
01-15-2003, 04:12 AM
Rock bottom squats of 300 for 3 reps, damn I hate you!

Post pics of your japan trip. I'd like to see 'em if ya get the chance.

Looking at your most recent pics you don't look like you have much fat at all. Shouldn't take you too much to lean up.

Maki Riddington
01-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Day 228

I will HomeYeild, if you get me on MSN I'll show you them.

Did my chest and tricpes today. I was sorta tiered but whatever.
I'm gonna do legs again tomorrow with shoulders. Just squats though. Food was good other then a double fudge chocolate cookie I ate from the vending machine.

Oh ya, my ALA should be in tomorrow, although I screwed up the postal code which might mean it won't be here tomorrow. But if it does, I'll be taking about 3 grams a day. Then I'll put in an order for the powder and cap them myself. The powder is cheaper.

Oh, soooooooo sweeet!!!

Maki Riddington
01-16-2003, 02:21 PM
The ALA came in! For those of you who want a good cheap source of 500 mg of ALA for roughly 30 cents per cap Canadian, email me and I'll pass on the source.

GeneticallyGifted
01-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Double Fudge Chocolate Cookie......ewwwwww! J/K that is just to much sugar for me....I could never get that down. A aren't you supposed be king of the Diets and Sole Control of Body Fat ....was that on your diet or did you just have to have it??? hahahaa

Man that is awesome that you did rock bottom squats with 300, I would probably buckle under that.

G

Maki Riddington
01-16-2003, 03:39 PM
I just had to have it. So, I did.:D

As for my squats, those are going to go back up. I'm gonna start working on them and my bicep curls.
I'm going to carb load for 2 hours, take some ALA (3-4 grams) and take a nap. The I'll wake up and hit the gym for a kick as squat, shoulder and bicep workout. Afterwards I'll come home, slam a shake, eat a meal and go to bed and sleep in.

Maki Riddington
01-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Day 229

Weight:205

I did some squats last night although I was still sore. I owned 315 x3 reps with pause at the bottom 320 and 325 for 3 reps as well. Oh ya baby! My leg strength is coming back to me!!!

I also did some biceps as well. Food was excellent and I feel great today. Tonight I'll be going to my finaces gym to work out (Fitness World) , this gym is horrible in terms of their trainers. They know jack about ****.

As for a new goal I want to set for myself, I would like to be able to barbell curl 135 for 3 reps. I did 115 for 5 reps last night so I can't be too far off. That being said I will explain as to why this is a goal for me. First off, I have very weak biceps, secondly, from the first day I ever worked out I've always wanted to be able to do this weight. It's more an ego thing since I first saw someone lift this weight. I remember my eyes almost poppped out just cause it looked like such a sick lift. I have achieved all but two of my goals since I've started working out and this is one of them.

When I do break my goal I will snap a shot of myself for everyone to see so everyone can share in my joy.

Maki Riddington
01-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Day 230

Well I must say that the dosages of ALA I've been taking are working quite well. I've taken in a gram for every meal that has had 50 grams or more in it and it seems to be making me look much fuller. I've woken up both days now looking tight and full. So I'm more then impressed so far.

I cheated and had some cheesecake last night.

:angel:

Manveet
01-18-2003, 04:22 PM
As for a new goal I want to set for myself, I would like to be able to barbell curl 135 for 3 reps. I did 115 for 5 reps last night so I can't be too far off.

Curling 135 would look soo sweet. My best was 105 for 4, so I still have a ways to go.

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:31 AM
Good job on the squats Maki! 325 x 3 is friggin' awesome. Keep up the hard work man.

Maki Riddington
01-21-2003, 09:50 PM
Day 233

Food is ok. Biceps, calves and back tonight.
Nothing to report except planing a wedding is very stressful and time consuming.

MonStar
01-21-2003, 09:54 PM
Hey man---your Metformin is on the way. Dad mailed it for me he said that it cost him $20 to make SURE that if there was some kind of problem we would be notified immediately. LOL, insurance on a package gets expensive. Anyway they couldnt give me a tracking # for some reason.. dont ask me why. Again though man, its 150 tabs---500 mg. each. Good luck with it. Hopefully youll get it early next week.

Maki Riddington
01-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Ok man. I'm crossing my fingers.

GeneticallyGifted
01-22-2003, 07:37 AM
On your last workout w/ biceps did you try for your goal? The bicep curl for 135x3 is going to be sick...make sure you snap the pic while doing the DAMN THANG and after as well, good luck to you Maki.

G'd Up!

Maki Riddington
01-22-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by GeneticallyGifted
On your last workout w/ biceps did you try for your goal? The bicep curl for 135x3 is going to be sick...make sure you snap the pic while doing the DAMN THANG and after as well, good luck to you Maki.

G'd Up!

Day 234

I got 120 x4 last night. That was very difficult. I worked out with SoROush a member here who sometimes posts who made me do two strips sets of preacher curls. Owwwwwwww my biceps are sore today and they never get sore!!!

That was it for arms. Today it's chest anf triceps.
Friday I'll be doing legs with Eric.

Miss Rezza
01-22-2003, 04:34 PM

I got 120 x4 last night. That was very difficult. I worked out with SoROush a member here who sometimes posts who made me do two strips sets of preacher curls. Owwwwwwww my biceps are sore today and they never get sore!!!

Congrats on the 120!! That's pretty damn impressive Maki! :thumbup:

Strip sets of preacher curls??? Geez, i can feel the burn already.... i'll be sure to try that one next time i hit tha gym! :D

Maki Riddington
01-22-2003, 06:38 PM
Oh my, a girl actually posted in my journal. Wow.:redface:

Manveet
01-22-2003, 07:22 PM
Friday I'll be doing legs with Eric.

That guy still trains?

Maki Riddington
01-22-2003, 09:25 PM
Ya but he weighs a buck forty now. Bahahahaha!!!!
Oh but he's got abs now. Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!