PDA

View Full Version : bulking/mass diet is stuck, now what? Opinions please...

intensity
02-11-2002, 12:10 PM
I'm 19 years old and I'm currently bulking, but I'm stuck at 5'11 160lbs, yes I seem to be an ectomorph. I originally started lifting at 125lbs about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago and then bulked all the way to 180lbs, with too much of that weight being fat. I then cut down (probably lost a little too much muscle due to not really knowing how to cut correctly) to 150lbs, and am now bulking back up, and currently at 160lbs. The thing is, I'm stuck. I know what I need to do though, add more calories. The thing is, I don't know what to add. During my first bulking phase when I got stuck at a certain weight, I just added more carbs, and gained more weight, simple. The thing was I gained way too much fat like that. So, here is my current diet, any ideas would be great.

6:30am - 6 egg whites, 2 average size red potatoes, 2 pieces of ryebread, 5 grams of l-glutamine
7:50am - workout
9:00am - post workout shake of 2 scoops of Designer Whey mixed with tropicana fruit punch, 5 grams of l-glutamine, 2 red potatoes
12:00pm - 1 can of tuna fish on a bagel with lettuce, 3 egg whites
2:30pm - cup of peanuts, about 1 bowl of cereal (without milk, I hate milk =] )
4:30pm - 1 Pure Protein Bar
6:00pm - 2 oranges
7:30pm - a good (big) sized serving something like chicken or some type of meat, salad or some type of vegetable, half of a baked potato
9:30pm - a little less than 1 can of tuna fish
10:45pm - 1 scoop of Designer Whey powder mixed with water

I also take a vitamin C and a calcium (since I don't like milk). I drink a little under 1 and a half gallons of water a day and I am VERY consistent with my diet. I don't miss or skip meals or anything. I also hardly do any cardio. Just 30 minutes of jogging on a treadmill just once EVERY OTHER week. I've been thinking maybe my diet needs more fat? Good fat of course, but more of it maybe? I don't think I need any more protein and I'm not sure about carbs either, but maybe I'm wrong. Then again, I'm stuck at 160lbs so I must be wrong somewhere. Hoping someone can show me where and how to fix it. =] If there is any other info that anyone needs, just let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help.

beercan
02-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Add a glass of whole milk with every meal.

Too bad that you don't like it, I do squats, and don't I like them.

Suck it up and tough it out. If you wanna grow, deal with it.

Par Deus
02-12-2002, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by intensity
During my first bulking phase when I got stuck at a certain weight, I just added more carbs, and gained more weight, simple. The thing was I gained way too much fat like that.

That is how it works. You have to overeat, carbs in particular, to maximize muscle gains. There will be some fat accumulation that accompanies this.

Instead of bulking until you become a fat ass, you will liekly be better served by throwing some cutting phases in there. With an extremely long bulking period, leptin will likely go above the point of transport saturation. Bulk up to 13-15% and then diet down to 10-12% (actually, if you tend to have naturally low bodyfat levels, then subtract 2-4% from each of these totals), then repeat over and over -- this will manipulate leptin more favorably, resulting in a more optimal hormonal millieu. It will also be more asthetically pleasing.