PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eat more in the winter?

BFGUITAR
12-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I know most of you people bulk during the winter due to the fact that clothes covers the fat.

But my question is geared towards maintenance. The frigid winter puts an extra stress on our body. We must burn more calories to stay at a certain termperature. This means that our maintenance goes up.

I live in London Ontario and it gets cold here. How much more should I generally be eating to compensate for this fact? I was eating around 2800 calories on my bulk, now im thinking of upping it to 3000-3200. Does that sound right?

arnoldsclone
12-07-2006, 11:07 AM
I know most of you people bulk during the winter due to the fact that clothes covers the fat.

But my question is geared towards maintenance. The frigid winter puts an extra stress on our body. We must burn more calories to stay at a certain termperature. This means that our maintenance goes up.

I live in London Ontario and it gets cold here. How much more should I generally be eating to compensate for this fact? I was eating around 2800 calories on my bulk, now im thinking of upping it to 3000-3200. Does that sound right?

ya know i never thought about this before, good post, someone help this man!

betastas
12-07-2006, 11:45 AM
It depends how much more time you spend outside. It being winter and staying indoors most of the time wont change you caloric intake. You are also (hopefully) clothed warmly when you go outside, so you shouldn't be losing too much heat that way.

McVein
12-07-2006, 12:16 PM
ya know i never thought about this before, good post, someone help this man!

i dont know the answer either...but im sill guna post in the thread.....spam high 5

Ruffian
12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
If you dont gain weight on 2800 then bump it up another 500, otherwise I wouldnt be too concerned. We Canadians are 'generally' pretty good about dressing warmly when we go outside ;).

Vapour Trails
12-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Please, you live in southern ontario, that's not cold.

Kidding aside, I really don't think you should adjust your diet. You likely still spend 95% of the time indoors like I do.

BFGUITAR
12-07-2006, 02:05 PM
O please, London is located on something called the snow belt. Theres blizzards here ALL the time.

12-07-2006, 02:11 PM
ive never really thought about that as far as cold but - just listen to your body if you start to lose weight or stop gaining add 100-200 calories a day for a coluple weeks and see if that helps- if it doent then do it again

BFGUITAR
12-07-2006, 02:15 PM
ive never really thought about that as far as cold but - just listen to your body if you start to lose weight or stop gaining add 100-200 calories a day for a coluple weeks and see if that helps- if it doent then do it again

The problem is that im not going to be very consistant. Some days I may not leave the house and others I may be outside all the time.

Personally, im just always going to maintain a higher calorie intake than if it were summer for bulking. Drinking an extra glass of milk a day isnt going to bother me. I just wanted to know what you guys would do in general.

But why I think this makes a difference is because most of the energy we use in a day is given off as heat. Water requires quite a bit of energy to warm up. Which means we must eat that much more.

12-07-2006, 02:21 PM
i just eat all the time i dont calculate my cal when im bulking

Ruffian
12-07-2006, 03:19 PM
O please, London is located on something called the snow belt. Theres blizzards here ALL the time.

Dude... you want blizzards and cold? Come to Saskatchewan.... Ill stick you outside and watch your skin freeze in 30 seconds!

Te he he... Cruel- I know.

BFGUITAR
12-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Dude... you want blizzards and cold? Come to Saskatchewan.... Ill stick you outside and watch your skin freeze in 30 seconds!

Te he he... Cruel- I know.

O yeh!
Come to Toronto and ull get mugged and freeze to death at the same time!

Jordanbcool
12-07-2006, 05:46 PM

Kidding aside, I really don't think you should adjust your diet. You likely still spend 95% of the time indoors like I do.

Yea I agree.

Unless you go back to the wild and need fat to stay warm you dont need to worry. The caloric jump wont be to big since your're in doors.

jkirkpatrick
12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Well, I shovelled 48cm of snow here in Edmonton this past November and I've dug my car out of the ruts in the alley as well. Guess I've burned some extra calories doing that.

I eat the same - winter or summer. It's all good.

betastas
12-07-2006, 05:50 PM

I'm with this guy. Southern Ontario is a joke compared to the prairies. Born and raised in the northern Manitoba and then the parkland. You want cold, you get it :)

And tons of snow too!

Vapour Trails
12-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I have relatives in Owen Sound, Ontario. A couple times I was there it went down to -20C and people were freaking out, that's an average winter day in Manitoba.

BFGUITAR
12-08-2006, 03:28 PM
Haha Owen Sound

LivinItUp
12-08-2006, 03:43 PM
i just eat all the time i dont calculate my cal when im bulking

Same here, I've learned my body well enough to gain 1-3lbs per week, or lose 1-3lbs per week or stay the same without calculating anything.

If I start to feel like I'm gaining too much or feel lil' too much fat coming in, I just run it off and eat a bit less, boom back on track :)

-may not work for everyone, but does perfectly for me!

FreeRider
12-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Hmmm,
Good point man. She has been pretty chilly in Edmonton for the last little bit...but I noticed that with my 3000-3200 cal a day I am PUMPING out the heat!!! I usually am quite warm, but since I have bumped up my cals I seem to really pump the heat out. Bring on the cold!

LivinItUp
12-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Hmmm,
Good point man. She has been pretty chilly in Edmonton for the last little bit...but I noticed that with my 3000-3200 cal a day I am PUMPING out the heat!!! I usually am quite warm, but since I have bumped up my cals I seem to really pump the heat out. Bring on the cold!

Um, so does diet have to do with keeping warm in the cold? Because I keep being called crazy for going in a t-shirt, even though I'm not outside for long...other people wear sweaters and jackets. I just don't feel cold enough for that.

FreeRider
12-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Um, so does diet have to do with keeping warm in the cold? Because I keep being called crazy for going in a t-shirt, even though I'm not outside for long...other people wear sweaters and jackets. I just don't feel cold enough for that.

That I would like to know to. I am the guy driving around the city without the heat on in my truck. I am no doctor but I can see that putting more wood in the furnace should give more heat.

Rock Steady
12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
The indoor temp of your house/work is much more important. I saw an article recently that blamed climate control technology as one of the reasons Americans are getting fatter. A stretch, but I'm sure there's some effect there.