PDA

View Full Version : Am I cutting too fast?

Capt. BR Hay
12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Hello all, I was keeping up on a diet of 2300 - 2500 calories per day with 200 - 240 grams of protein per day, low fat, and moderate carbs. I eat foods like sirloin or inside round steak, chicken breast, tuna, skim milk, slower burning carbs (whole grains, and oatmeal mostly). I'm 6'1 and was at 275 pounds.

I'm sorry this will be so wordy, but I'm not sure about how to get the question across accurately. The diet was pretty decent maintenance wise, as I stayed at 275 for a good long time (though I lost a little fat, and gained a little muscle over the months). I weight train 4 days per week, and I was doing 20 minutes of cardio whenever I felt like it.

Well, now it's time to put up or shut up, and lose a pile of fat. So a month ago, I started doing cardio 1 hour per day in addition to the weight training. The scale says I've dropped 20 pounds. I've heard it's only safe to drop 1 - 2 pounds per week, so I'm kind of freaking out.

I don't think that 20 was all fat (I'm sure it's not). My clothes fit slightly better, and am starting to see a rib or two. I'm thinking a lot of it may have been water weight, and likely some muscle too :(

I don't feel like I'm overtraining, and I've noticed that I've been able to keep a quicker pace than when I started. The only thing I can think to do is maybe add a 100 Calories a day, and see how that balances out over a few weeks.

Would that be an alright course of action? Can anyone out there comment?

Thanks in advance,

B.

Con
12-09-2006, 01:13 PM
Im going to give the advise I was given.

Eat meat, vegetables and nuts at every meal. Focus on performance and the looks will follow.

The reason this advise is applicable to you is becuase you got to where you are by poor eatin habits. Establish god eating habits and train intesnely, then youll lean out fine and when you do, it will be easier to maintain.

hoser813
12-09-2006, 06:36 PM
usually when you first start a cut, you will seem to drop weight quickly and then the loss will start to taper. I have a feeling that that first 20 you lost was mainly water and glycogen. Instead of doing more cardio to try to lose fat you need more of a caloric deficit to see real results. Track your cals on www.fitday.com and try to eat 500 cals under maintainence per day (that will lead to 1 lb per week loss) and keep lifting heavy.

Vapour Trails
12-13-2006, 10:28 AM
I see you are from Manitoba, I'm in winnipeg.

At 6'1" and 255, you do not have to worry about losing weight too fast. You have plenty of bodyfat to sustain a large caloric deficit without your body dipping into lean mass for energy. If you are new to physical activity, it is not uncommon to lose fat while gaining muscle, this is referred to as the newbie effect. You observations on how your body changed is a good inidcation that you have burnt significant fat stores already.
One hour of cardio per day is a bit excessive though, 4-5 times per week is plenty with lifting included.

A rough rule of thumb to determine your maintenance is your weight x 14-16.
So 255 x 15 = 3825 cals. This is baseline, your exercise will bump this up well beyond 4000 cals.

I would advise you to keep doing what your doing. If you're eating ~2500 cals a day you should continue to lose 2-3lbs per week which is pefectly fine.

09taylorb
12-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Listen 2-3 lbs a week is kinda alot i wrestle and im on a total crash diet and am still only losing about 3-4 lbs a week and really i feel like crap

WBBIRL
12-13-2006, 01:36 PM
I just started cutting (for the millionth time) again last month. I dropped from 310 to 285 in probably just a tad bit over 1 month and I can tell you that if your restricting your carbs then probably half can be attributed to water loss.

Half the cardio, unless you think your heart needs it and watch the calories.

The 14-16x thing may work for some, for others its right out the window. At 310 my maintaince was well under 4000.. probably at or just under 3000.

I'd say keep the calories at 2500 per day on average throughout the week. Do it like 2000 one day, 3000 the next maybe 2200 one day and 2800 the next. The fluctuations should keep your metabolism on its toes a wee bit.

Calories are key to weight loss, macro breakdowns + lifting heavy are keys to fat loss. There is a difference.

Keep protein to 1g per pound of bodyweight, keep carbs to .25g per pound of bodyweight (or .5 if you don't want to enter ketosis) and keep the fats to only the healthy ones. Get fish oil pills and take 6 a day, thats enough (essential) fat that you don't need to purposely eat any more. Drink plenty of water, atleast a gallon per day. Do full body workouts, and atleast the big 3. So if nothing else do heavy squats, deadlifts and benchpress.

There's a sticky called what a bodybuilder eats, you should read it and stock up on the foods you like from that list. Cut out all junk, save a free meal every week. Thats 1 meal per week, and the one meal isn't a ticket to see how much crap you can shovel down your throat. You can eat bad foods for your cheat, but try to keep your calories within 1000 of your "normal" range.

You could also try planned diet breaks. Stay on your diet for say 8 weeks and then take 2 off. Your planned diet breaks are alot like your free meals, but you should keep respectably close to your calorie range. So if your eating 2500 per day on average, try to keep that average around 3500 on your diet break week. Also remember that if you do carb up by eating alot more carbs then normal that your bodyweight will spike due to water retention. You could gain as much as 5-7 pounds which should go back off once your carb depleted again.

Heres also a good read on carb types and cycling them.

http://www.skippypodar.net/Fitness/carbcycling.html

Vapour Trails
12-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Listen 2-3 lbs a week is kinda alot i wrestle and im on a total crash diet and am still only losing about 3-4 lbs a week and really i feel like crap

Completely different situation, you are probably already somewhat lean.

Your starting bf is a huge factor.

WBBIRL, there is no way a 310lb man has a maintenance of 3000 or less. You are not different from anyone else. My GF has a maintenance of 2500 cals at ~140lbs.

WBBIRL
12-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Im now 285, and I think I would know my own maintance... I do feed myself every day. If I ate 3000 I would maintain weight even at 285.

rapidride3
12-15-2006, 12:27 PM

I CAN SAY YOUR EXPERIENCE MIGHT BE A LITTLE DIFFERENT AS YOU ARE PROB. MOST DEF. LOSING WATER WEIGHT. When i wrestled it was nothing to lose 5-6lbs. in 1 practice (all water weight) Not healthy, but thats the way sport goes, no matter how much they have tried to mask the truth within the past 5 years or so. I was losing those 5-6 lbs a practice at only 135 lbs. (go figure,, i did it for years)

seK
12-18-2006, 11:09 AM
Hello all, I was keeping up on a diet of 2300 - 2500 calories per day with 200 - 240 grams of protein per day, low fat, and moderate carbs. I eat foods like sirloin or inside round steak, chicken breast, tuna, skim milk, slower burning carbs (whole grains, and oatmeal mostly). I'm 6'1 and was at 275 pounds.

I'm sorry this will be so wordy, but I'm not sure about how to get the question across accurately. The diet was pretty decent maintenance wise, as I stayed at 275 for a good long time (though I lost a little fat, and gained a little muscle over the months). I weight train 4 days per week, and I was doing 20 minutes of cardio whenever I felt like it.

Well, now it's time to put up or shut up, and lose a pile of fat. So a month ago, I started doing cardio 1 hour per day in addition to the weight training. The scale says I've dropped 20 pounds. I've heard it's only safe to drop 1 - 2 pounds per week, so I'm kind of freaking out.

I don't think that 20 was all fat (I'm sure it's not). My clothes fit slightly better, and am starting to see a rib or two. I'm thinking a lot of it may have been water weight, and likely some muscle too :(

I don't feel like I'm overtraining, and I've noticed that I've been able to keep a quicker pace than when I started. The only thing I can think to do is maybe add a 100 Calories a day, and see how that balances out over a few weeks.

Would that be an alright course of action? Can anyone out there comment?

Thanks in advance,

B.
I wouldn't worry about it, one thing I would suggest would be to compensate your caloric intake with the amount of cardio you are doing, do use it as a means to lose weight rather use it to keep your heart healthy. For the first month 20lbs isnít anything extreme, if it continues I would reevaluate your maintenance levels and go from there.