PDA

View Full Version : Achy Knees

thewahls7
12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
I hope I put this in the right thread, if not move it. :cool:

I'm pretty skinny at 16 years old 5'11, 145. I've always had problems with my knees, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about anything I can take, or stretching I can do. I've had tendonitis in my left knee three times, and in my right knee once (Starting at an early age). I'm a catcher, and expected to catch for our high-school team. Practice is starting up January 2nd, and it always starts grinding and acting up.

Any Suggestions? (BTW, I like the site. :cool: )

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Glucosamine would be a good start. And I'm too tired to think of anything else. It's almost been a year since I've had knee surgery and Glucosamine helps a lot.

thewahls7
12-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Bump

piff
12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Glucosamine would be a good start. And I'm too tired to think of anything else. It's almost been a year since I've had knee surgery and Glucosamine helps a lot.

Have there been any studies done that show glucosamine has a positive affect on joint health?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Have there been any studies done that show glucosamine has a positive affect on joint health?Of course. Do a PubMed search.

thewahls7
12-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Have there been any studies done that show glucosamine has a positive affect on joint health?

Glucosamine is in something I drink called Joint Juice, but its not very high in it. I'll definately go pick some up shortly.

Anything else?

piff
12-12-2006, 05:23 PM
Of course. Do a PubMed search.

I'm not completely familiar with PubMed but I searched google for it and it took me to a government search where I was able to search glucosamine... this is the only I could find that said anything useful

"CONCLUSIONS: Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate alone or in combination did not reduce pain effectively in the overall group of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Exploratory analyses suggest that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate may be effective in the subgroup of patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain."
( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=16495392 )

So I'll ask again; do you have any studies that conclusively show improved joint health by taking glucsosamine? I've been under the impression that while some people believe glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM improve joint health, there haven't been enough complete and long term studies done to support that claim

crazedwombat
12-13-2006, 07:59 AM
"However, they suggest that the potential benefit of glucosamine in osteoarthritis is not related to cartilage matrix biosynthesis, but more likely to its ability to globally inhibit the deleterious effects of IL-1beta signaling. These results suggest that glucosamine, if administered effectively, may indeed have anti-arthritic properties, but primarily as an anti-inflammatory agent."

Helps make knees better :)

SOURCE: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=17109745&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

Hope that helps

You could do some light squatting to build up the strength in your tendons over time, it'll help build stronger knees.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-13-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm not completely familiar with PubMed but I searched google for it and it took me to a government search where I was able to search glucosamine... this is the only I could find that said anything useful

"CONCLUSIONS: Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate alone or in combination did not reduce pain effectively in the overall group of patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. Exploratory analyses suggest that the combination of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate may be effective in the subgroup of patients with moderate-to-severe knee pain."
( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?itool=abstractplus&db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=abstractplus&list_uids=16495392 )

So I'll ask again; do you have any studies that conclusively show improved joint health by taking glucsosamine? I've been under the impression that while some people believe glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM improve joint health, there haven't been enough complete and long term studies done to support that claimI've been using Scholar Google for quite some time and know my way around it. Here's something to take a look at: http://members.ift.org/NR/rdonlyres/CFDD7416-ED96-4B1A-912A-6D04272042E2/0/0106nutra.pdf

Nikkiwomang
12-13-2006, 11:28 AM
I remember starting the Glucosamine in pill form, and there was little difference so I said ef it, then someone at work bought me some liquid form of glucosamine and chondroitin and i dont know what the heck but it seemed to ease the pain in my knee significantly. My doctor did tell me that there isn't solid evidence proving that it works but she said she found that several of her paitents swear by it. including me now. I use it everyday.

crazedwombat
12-13-2006, 11:33 AM
yea I hurt my elbow joint arm wrestling and it wouldnt heal, a week after taking gluco pills, it got better