PDA

View Full Version : confused about my nutrition?

Pdogs08
12-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Hey guys, I'm new once again. So a recap..... Im about 6'1 and weighing in 200lbs, I'm in a sport 'wrestling'.... and I'm probly about 20lbs-30lbs over weight and looking to cut that and gain more muscle mass....

So I've been lifting for awhile on my own, out of sports since about late August and I havn't really been taking that many protein supplements or a lot of vitamens.....

So basicly each day I skip breakfast, and have a small lunch and then I go to a practice that averges 1-3:30hours and then after that I somestimes drink a protein shake and go to the gym for about 1 hour, I go to the gym twice on weekdays and once on the weekend, but we practice each weekday....

So my basic concern is if I am in a sport and looking to loose about 20lbs and be more cut, should I cut back on food or should I just eat more and keep lifting like what some coaches tell me to do?

Thank you for taking the time to read my message, Im just lookin for a answer based on my size and what my goal is!!

-Phil

Built
12-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Um ... how do you expect to drop weight if you eat MORE?

Pdogs08
12-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Well I've been repeatedly been told that I should be eating more and just weight lift a lot and I'll be in better shape, and Ive seen this before too with linemen and extra they do gain a lot of lean mass, but its not usually 'cut muscle?'

What I am trying to convey is I don't over eat each day, I try to eat small portions and I try to make water my only drink......

Also considering that I get around 1-3.5hours of cardio on weekdays then work out on somedays....

And I am recieving mixed answers of what I should be doing for sports..... and I'm not sure if I'm getting a one sided answer to what I should be doing?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Low body fat = "cut"

You have to lower your body fat for you to "cut up" your muscles. If you have a layer of fat over your muscles, they are not going to appear as defined as they would with a lower body fat percentage. You cut up by lifting heavy in a caloric deficit.

Pdogs08
12-11-2006, 05:47 PM
Well this is my fault for not totaly clarifying and wording it right,

What I mean is even though I am trying to diet and drink the right liquids. Should I be taking some protein suppliments or eating more then I should be after practice and right before weight lifting even though im trying to watch my weight?

Questor
12-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Try going someplace like:

http://www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.html

Get a rough idea of your maintenance calories. Undercut your maintenance calories by a hundred or so.

Regardless of whatever that or anyplace else tells you, eat at least 1g protein per 1lb of body weight.

Forget cardio.

Then workout like a cyborg!

(I expect many people to argue my suggestions as inadequate calories and/or parodoxically an inadequate cut amout)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-11-2006, 07:33 PM
http://www.biofitness.com/bodyfat.htmlThose calculators are awful.

Get a rough idea of your maintenance calories.This is found through trial and error, not a calculator. Everyone has such individual needs that it can't be generalized.

eat at least 1g protein per 1lb of body weight.

Forget cardio.It's 1 gram per pound of LBM, not weight.

What I mean is even though I am trying to diet and drink the right liquids. Should I be taking some protein suppliments or eating more then I should be after practice and right before weight lifting even though im trying to watch my weight?If you're cutting, you should save a lot of your carbs for your pre/post workout meals/shakes and have the rest of your meals be high in protein and fat...so you'll feel more satisfied and less starving. I still don't know what you mean by "eating more". You should have a set caloric intake and vary your calories accordinly.

Questor
12-11-2006, 09:09 PM
This is found through trial and error, not a calculator. Everyone has such individual needs that it can't be generalized.

I agree 100 percent - but it's a starting point and you can learn from there. I don't go by them either, but fact is when you're about to tee off, you need to know which direction to shoot for.

And I"m well aware of the 1g/1lb LBM, but again, the fellow likely doesn't have a reading on his lbm, and 1g will get him in the right direction.

You underestimate me because I guage my response to the OP.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm not underestimating you. :)

I don't go by them either, but fact is when you're about to tee off, you need to know which direction to shoot for.I prefer the 15-18 x body weight +/- 500 calories rule and go from there. That's just me.

ddegroff
12-12-2006, 10:48 AM
Well this is my fault for not totaly clarifying and wording it right,

What I mean is even though I am trying to diet and drink the right liquids. Should I be taking some protein suppliments or eating more then I should be after practice and right before weight lifting even though im trying to watch my weight?

You need to find your maintenance cals and go from there. If your not losing about 1lb per week with what your currently doing they your eating too much.

Protein supplements don't magically make you gain weight, caloric excess does.

Finally, eat breakfast. Really stupid idea to skip this, especially on reduced cals.