PDA

View Full Version : One arm Barbell Snatch craziness.

1mmort4l
12-12-2006, 03:19 AM
Saw this on Youtube, and i was amazed!
The technique and strength involved here is incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBH0fT2R21c

Guido
12-12-2006, 08:13 AM
One-Arm Snatches rock. They are one of my favorite lifts. My current PR is 125 lbs (~57 kg), so I'm not too far off from that guy. His look near perfect, though.

Dinosaur
12-12-2006, 11:08 AM
His form is great, nice find.

EvanH
12-12-2006, 11:13 AM
I've never seen those before. I almost pooped my pants.

Max Thunder
12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I feel like doing these around the curl (and lateral raises) jockeys in my gym, and not putting any collars on the bar to scare them a little. Hell, they're already scared by dumbbell snatches.

Why I don't get is how hard is it to hold a barbell overhead? I used to do some static holds with 1 arm and had a lot of trouble maintaining the bar straigth, so I'd like to know if it's me who have weak wrists in that position or that somehow it's much easier to balance it in an overhead position?

Bob
12-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Dang that was cool... and he did those 2 OH Squats with one arm and 60k over head after the snatch.

I gotta get my butt into the gym and practice these...

magicman531
12-12-2006, 07:28 PM
This isn't to dishearten you guys, but old time strongmen weighing under 150 pounds could OA over 160 pounds. 180 pounds was not uncommon. So don't get stuck in the mindset of low weights! You're bigger than those old timers doing 160! So get out there and more than then damnit!

VikingWarlord
12-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh my god. I don't think my balance is anywhere near that good. If I tried that, I think someone would die.

RedSpikeyThing
12-12-2006, 08:20 PM
That is one crazy assed exercise! I wish I could even put that much weight over my head with two hands....

1mmort4l
12-12-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah, the guy is pretty amazing IMO. He must have done snatch over a million times. Look at the way he nearly falls over backwards through the window, yet he is still composed and has a laugh.
I will try one of these in a year...

Guido
12-13-2006, 07:31 AM
I feel like doing these around the curl (and lateral raises) jockeys in my gym, and not putting any collars on the bar to scare them a little. Hell, they're already scared by dumbbell snatches.

Why I don't get is how hard is it to hold a barbell overhead? I used to do some static holds with 1 arm and had a lot of trouble maintaining the bar straigth, so I'd like to know if it's me who have weak wrists in that position or that somehow it's much easier to balance it in an overhead position?Heh. I would not recommend trying this without collars. :D

That being said, I don't think it's that difficult holding the barbell even overhead. As long as you grip the bar right in the middle, there should not be too much problem. In fact, I find the barbell better for doing more weight than DB's.

Guido
12-13-2006, 07:34 AM
This isn't to dishearten you guys, but old time strongmen weighing under 150 pounds could OA over 160 pounds. 180 pounds was not uncommon. So don't get stuck in the mindset of low weights! You're bigger than those old timers doing 160! So get out there and more than then damnit!It takes a LOT of practice, years, to get those kind of numbers. Especially for guys under 150 lbs!

Anthony
12-13-2006, 07:45 AM
Awesome vid!

Fuzzy
12-13-2006, 08:09 AM
the most suicidally crazy lift ever?

I think so Bob!

Guido
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
It just looks crazy, but it's actually pretty safe. Safer than benching, actually.

magicman531
12-13-2006, 04:12 PM
I've done a fair bit of snatching with a barbell. Some of the attempts can get pretty crazy, wobbling, hopping, and squirming around with a weight overhead. The barbell is easier than the dumbell once you get the form down. Until then it's quite a wild ride...

Race Bannon
12-13-2006, 08:22 PM
I filmed this, Max told me that afterwards he felt his cns was fried for days. He did alot of reps on both sides. He doesn't train these or anything. We always have little challenges around the gym and that day I asked him if he thought he could hit 80 kg one arm snatch.

12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I filmed this, Max told me that afterwards he felt his cns was fried for days. He did alot of reps on both sides. He doesn't train these or anything. We always have little challenges around the gym and that day I asked him if he thought he could hit 80 kg one arm snatch.

wow thats very impressive - he must train snatches though - good snatch form isnt somthing you just pick up

the doc
12-13-2006, 09:57 PM
that is cool as hell... dangerous but cool

Race Bannon
12-13-2006, 10:56 PM
I dont see how it is anymore dangerous than any other lift. W.ith abumpers and a platform its easy to abandon a bad lift

Max trains the olympic lifts. He finished 7th at the American Open at the beginning of the month in the 105 kg class. If USAW had their **** together and had updated rankings posted, I think he would be 11th or 12th in the nation, moving up from 25th last year. His best total is 318 kg.

Sleepy Guy
12-14-2006, 04:36 AM
Good to see others doing them. Watch your shoulders and be carefull lowering the weight down. Hurt my shoulder once trying not to drop it.

ericg
12-14-2006, 05:35 AM
Sleepy, thats what the bumpers are for, just let the bar drop.

Guido
12-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Good to see others doing them. Watch your shoulders and be carefull lowering the weight down. Hurt my shoulder once trying not to drop it.My gym doesn't have bumper plates, so I feel your plight. You do have to be careful with the shoulders when letting the weight down.

ericg
12-14-2006, 10:46 AM
Without bumpers I wouldnt be doing BB snatch with one hand. That makes it tough to try for 1RM. I know its not the same but use DBs if you dont have any bumpers.

magicman531
12-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I don't have any bumpers, nor do I have any problem lowering the weight. It's easy enough for me to just reach and grab the bar with my off hand and slide my working hand over.

Stumprrp
12-15-2006, 06:42 AM
I don't have any bumpers, nor do I have any problem lowering the weight. It's easy enough for me to just reach and grab the bar with my off hand and slide my working hand over.

same here

max is a freak, THROWING that 150 lbs up!

Sleepy Guy
12-18-2006, 09:20 AM
I would argee with the the bumper and non-bumper plates. Make do with what you have.

With some finesse you can drop the bar to about thigh hight and catch it before it slams to the ground. My best has been 60kg ;)

magicman531
12-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Although not a lift, I found this little bit interesting. It's from a book by Alan Calvert:

"One of the most prominent athletic clubs in Philadelphia has in its gymnasium a long-handled bar bell of 150 lbs. weight. We are informed that for a long time there were only two members of the club who could lift this bell above their head, even when they used two hands in the lifting. Some time ago a delegation of German Turners made a visit to this club and were being shown over the clubhouse by an Entertainment Committee. When they came to the gymnasium, the Germans, twelve or fifteen in number, expressed their surprise at the absence of heavy dumbbells, and one member of the committee, after some search, was able to discover and produce the 150-lb. bar-bell alluded to above. One after another the Germans stepped out of line and raised this bell above the head. Not one of them had any trouble lifting the bell with one arm. They were simply amazed when they were told that not of the 500 members in the club could perform the same feat, and they stated that a one-arm lift of 150 lbs. was a very small affair to the average German athlete."

Just goes to show what lifts use to be done often and what poundages were used. If they consider 150 pounds light lifting with one arm! What does the gym rat of today think of that? :eek:

Sleepy Guy
12-20-2006, 10:35 PM
All I can say is it nice when you go to a gym and see people who know what they are doing.

droman
12-23-2006, 11:34 AM
thats crazy. he must have awesome power