PDA

View Full Version : Raw Eggs

Validus
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
This may sound like a very stupid question to most, and it probobly is, but I'm going to put it out there anywhey because I'm curious. What are the actual dangers of eating raw eggs. I'm curious as to if it would be very very unsanitary to blend them with lets say some milk and protein powder. I have heard of the risks ex. bacteria, salmanela, parasites exc.... I don't think I'd eat them raw, but its just one of those nagging questions I want answered. Are the risks really that real?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-12-2006, 12:38 PM
There is a very, very small chance that you could get Salmonella poisoning, which would make your insides feel horrendous. Use Egg Beaters or egg protein powder if you're going to go the shake route.

There is a small risk, but it's a risk you'll have to take when dealing with raw eggs. So, you should either use Egg Beaters, or cook the eggs, which makes them more bioavailable anyway.

Cirino83
12-12-2006, 12:53 PM
There is a very, very small chance that you could get Salmonella poisoning, which would make your insides feel horrendous. Use Egg Beaters or egg protein powder if you're going to go the shake route.

There is a small risk, but it's a risk you'll have to take when dealing with raw eggs. So, you should either use Egg Beaters, or cook the eggs, which makes them more bioavailable anyway.

and tolerable...raw eggs remind me of having a sinus infection...

Mik
12-12-2006, 01:03 PM
and tolerable...raw eggs remind me of having a sinus infection...

Yeah, but Rocky did it! :)

Validus
12-12-2006, 01:55 PM

What are "Egg Beaters" ? Are you talking about simply whipping the eggs or something else?

Does my body actually extract more nutrients from a cooked egg?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-12-2006, 02:03 PM
http://www.eggbeaters.com/index.jsp

It's only the egg whites, though.

Does my body actually extract more nutrients from a cooked egg?It makes it more easily digestible.

Validus
12-12-2006, 02:17 PM
so these are available at pretty much any grocery store? Thanks a lot I'll check that out. Good tip.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-12-2006, 02:32 PM
so these are available at pretty much any grocery store?From what I've seen, yes.

Thanks a lot I'll check that out. Good tip.I personally prefer egg white protein powder ~> http://www.sportprotein.com

The only setback of this powder though is that it can only be mixed in a blender. I use it to make my weight gainer shakes at home (which have 1,400+ calories).