PDA

View Full Version : Size vs Skill

mr.giggles
12-12-2006, 10:43 PM
I have a question that's bothering me, so I turned to wbb.. lolz :clap:

I have a black belt in kenpo and tkd
boxed for 2 years
did mma for a year on and off..

I've faught people in the street and in the ring and i stopped training because the lack of money...Now I've gotten into lifting and i love it..I went from 130lbs when i was 15 to 176lbs now that I'm 18. My bench press for example increased from 80lbs to 175 max. I am hella pumped from the newbie gains that came to me, but my love for fighting is always there.

Now to the question..I've taken Bjj and in that sport, size doesn't matter, but lets say for example I took on a 250+ lifter who could deadlift 400+ bench 300+ and squat 400+ What would my chances of winning that street fight be? Not very good..

My boxing experience has been great and I've ****ed up a lot of people in the process lolz.. no one 2x my size tho..If i decided to stand up against a lifter like the one i posted before and he decided to bum rush me and grab ahold, I would be done.

My question is, how many of you guys that have very impressive lifts have been beaten in a fight with no sanctioned training at all?? I'm lifting for the love of the sport, but also to keep up with competition in the fight world.

pepsihatman
12-12-2006, 11:18 PM
You would have to specify street fight vs. match. In a match there are rules. In a street fight... Eyes, nuts, throat, knees, biting, nails, hair, nose, feet... anything sensitive and accessable is a target. That evens the playing field somewhat if a person is smart enough to go for that.

CosmicForce
12-13-2006, 06:59 AM
I think a good fighter can whoop a big powerlifter. Have you seen any video clips of Bob Sapp 6' 7" 375lbs getting his ass kicked in a match by a much smaller fighter. I think there may be a link to a video clip on a thread discussion on this forum or www.t-nation.com . I saw a video clip of a much smaller fighter facture Bob Sapp's eye socket with a punch. Ernesto Hoost (mispelled) broke Sapp's ribs with a body shot during a K-1 match.

When I was in high school I saw a varsity Fullback 6' 1" 225lbs kick a 6' 6" 300+lbs lineman's ass in a streetfight. I wouldn't worry about having big numbers so much, just keep improving your fighting skills and develope excellent technique.

Like pepsihatman said eyes, throat, knees, and nads.

Anthony
12-13-2006, 07:27 AM
I have no idea what you're asking, but there are plenty of guys in your weight category who have the lifts you mentioned.

WBBIRL
12-13-2006, 07:37 AM
Have never been in a fight, but the only one I've ever come close to was with a kid nearly 1/3 my size. I have no doubt had he wanted to start a confrontation that I would have owned him, but I know for sure that there are plenty of smaller guys around who would probably trash me on the very principle alone that I've never ever fought before.

Size only matters when skills are of equal levels. A big difference in one can make up for the other.

MixmasterNash
12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Street fighting is a good way to get stabbed and/or shot.

Maki Riddington
12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
In a match size doesn't always prevail. I've sparred with 160 pound guys and have had my ass handed to me when we hit the ground.

pepsihatman
12-13-2006, 11:34 AM
In a match size doesn't always prevail. I've sparred with 160 pound guys and have had my ass handed to me when we hit the ground.

Very true. Gods help you if you get a big, strong guy who knows what he's doing. Most of my seniors in Jiu Jitsu are significantly stronger than I am. Couple their strength with their extensive knowledge (extensive compared to mine) and it leads to me developing a very good defense after many, many beatings. ;)

mr.giggles
12-13-2006, 11:54 AM
I have no idea what you're asking, but there are plenty of guys in your weight category who have the lifts you mentioned.

I'm basically asking if size had helped you in your past confrontations, instead of being small and weak. lolz sorry for the long post, i couldnt think of how to say it.

Anthony
12-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Sure, size and strength certainly help. But I think gracie proved over and over that size isn't everything.

Nik00117
12-13-2006, 12:07 PM
My size has kept me out of fights in the past.

Does size play a roll? Well my buddy who is big time in MMA and boxing since he wa slike 5 and is now 16 weights 160, could prob hand my ass to me any day of the week any time within 30 seconds...

If he was equally as good as me in fighting could I win yes?

So size only truly matters when skillsa re the same, or extermely close. But there are lots of poeple half my size who could take my ass to town.

Maki Riddington
12-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Very true. Gods help you if you get a big, strong guy who knows what he's doing. Most of my seniors in Jiu Jitsu are significantly stronger than I am. Couple their strength with their extensive knowledge (extensive compared to mine) and it leads to me developing a very good defense after many, many beatings. ;)

A very good defense indeed. I have to grapple with this 260 pound guy in class and I have learned how to develope a good defense so he doesn't over power me with his size and strength.

Hoaxy
12-13-2006, 07:45 PM
Both is good, recently this week there was 4 fights in a period of 3 days in my town. (All taken place at the same kids house). If I had to choose i'd choose good skill and decent strength, size can mean things, but there are people out there who are 150 pounds and can lift more than people who are 200. My brother is around 230 pounds, 6' 4" and i've gotten into many fights with him, whooped his ass everytime. Gave him a concussion once and he had to goto the hospital. Either way skill AND strength are a good way to go, one of the fights I saw this week the kid was bigger and stronger and ended up winning, he got his nose broken and had a black eye but he dropped the kid to the ground and ended up kickin the kid in the face and the kid gave up, the kid had a concussion after the fight. You can have all the size and strength in the world, but if you don't know how to fight, you're done.

diesel_dan
12-13-2006, 08:44 PM
In my own experience, I have whooped someones ass that was considerably bigger and stronger than me, but didn't know the first thing about fighting. Like everyone else is saying, skill/technique are far more superior than size/strength (although there are some cases where that is not true, however not many).