PDA

View Full Version : Best Candy to Eat?

LaxGuy16
12-13-2006, 12:24 AM
(Although probably not worthy of being asked on such a forum)

If I were to desire a candy (bar) what type of candy would the "healthiest" to eat. Provide my body with not only the inevitable empty calories...but also provide something useful.

What is the "healthiest" candy (obviously being consumed in moderation)?

Along with this...what time of day would be best to consume a candy bar if I decided to eat one?

Please don't flame, this although ridiculous, is in fact a serious question.
Any response is appreciated.

Thanks

tomv
12-13-2006, 12:30 AM
Hrmmm I think a snickers is, because of the nuts (we don't have many american chocolate bars over here, so i'm just selecting from the american ones). Because of the peanuts lol.

Probably post workout, or immediate pre workout in an effort to burn up as much as soon as possible.

Lean-N-Mean
12-13-2006, 12:33 AM
York peppermint patty has at least some of the lowest fat numbers out there, not sure about the sugar though. Also 3 musketeers isn't horrible.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-13-2006, 01:04 AM
Snickers makes a protein bar now. You might want to try that. PayDay would also be a good choice since it's basically 90% peanuts.

getfit
12-13-2006, 02:34 AM
Reeses pb cup

VikingWarlord
12-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Reeses pb cup

As long as you can control yourself. These things are my weakness. Something like 400 calories per pack with 200 from fat or something like that.

I still can't say no.

RedSpikeyThing
12-13-2006, 09:53 AM
If you very rarely eat candy bars, buy whatever you want and enjoy it. On that note, I like King Sized Mr. Big. I also have a 300 g Yorkie sitting beside me right now.....405 calories per 1/4 bar :D

ShockBoxer
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, me too... I'll get one of those bags of reese PB bites and eat the entire thing while watching a movie at a friends place. Bam. 2200 calories in a bag.

Alex.V
12-13-2006, 10:01 AM
Payday makes a protein bar now too. Love 'em.

But paydays rock in general.

Nikkiwomang
12-13-2006, 10:11 AM
Well you shouldn't deprieve yourself. A treat now and then is good to make sure you aren't hating your diet. The way I look at it is if this diet that I am on is something I couldn't do for the rest of my life then it's really not a diet I want to be on.

I tend to crave chocolate badly once a month (being a woman) sometimes I can get passed that craving but sometimes i can't so i usually have some kind of dark chocolate(I heard somewhere it could be better for you than milk chocolate, not sure how true that is), not the whole bar though I usually make some other person eat the other half. and when I say make i mean make! I get crazy if its sitting in front of me looking at me. I've put up signs here at work asking people to please not feed me. LOL If they put stuff there it goes smoooshed in the trash can, i really do smoosh it in there so there is no chance of survival. yes i know i have issues with food.

piff
12-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Try Myoplex Lite bars. They are the absolute best tasting bars I've ever had and the Chocolate Chip Crisp tastes better than any candy bar to me

ShockBoxer
12-13-2006, 11:45 AM
If they put stuff there it goes smoooshed in the trash can, i really do smoosh it in there so there is no chance of survival. yes i know i have issues with food.

You sure do. I see free food passed out at work as free calories. I scare co-workers with how fast I can down a dessert tray if someone makes the mistake of leaving it too close to me.

I am going to eat anything put in front of me. That's just the way I am. I lift so that it goes to cooler places than my waist and cut a few pounds from time to time to keep the fat down. Other than that... if it's edible, it's in mortal peril.

09taylorb
12-13-2006, 12:11 PM
Snickers is probably the best since it has nuts and the chocolate gives you energy too.

Turnip
12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63562

Make this and wrap it up in like saran or something would be good, it tastes kinda like reeses and might kill the candy bar craving.

galileo
12-14-2006, 09:32 AM
Buy some full-sized Detour, One-Way, and so on bars from an online vendor. They taste just like a candy bar, but have far more protein and some of the sugar is replaced by artificials.

http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=474
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=2234
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=502
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=785
http://www.bulknutrition.com/?products_id=673

russianwol
12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Snickers is probably the best since it has nuts and the chocolate gives you energy too.

Have you read the nutritional values and ingredient list on snickers? Omg I'll never eat one again unless there's nothing else left to eat. I used to love that stuff.

The best candy is tuna btw! :)

russianwol
12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Oh yeah and if we are talking about protein bars - I love the Xyence XStart!

use_the_force
12-14-2006, 10:08 AM
The Snickers Marathon Energy bar (multigrain crunch) tastes GREAT in my view. As tasty as a candy bar, but quite a bit better for you. When I have a candy/carb craving, I sometimes eat 1/2 of one bar (they are big) and it does the trick at keeping me away from pure candy bars and candies much better than almost any other energy-type bar.

Key stats (1 bar)

calories 220
total fat: 7grams (2.5 sat)
total carbs - 30 grams (18 g sugar)
protein 10grams (wimpy - but don't use it as protein supp, just a candy supplement)

plus all the key vitamin stuff

ddegroff
12-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Peanut M&M's.

I would check the wrapper on those Reese's because they might contain trans fat. I know PB M&M's do and really any other peanut butter candy.

Just a heads up.

Optimum08
12-14-2006, 11:43 AM
mmmmm. PB M&M's. :drooling:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-14-2006, 11:53 AM
I would check the wrapper on those Reese's because they might contain trans fat. I know PB M&M's do and really any other peanut butter candy.Reese's Cups don't have any trans fat. Peanuts don't have trans fat. PB M&M's don't have any trans fat. This regular peanut butter in my cupboard doesn't have any trans fat. Where did you get this idea?

ShockBoxer
12-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I was pretty sure the bag of PB cup pieces I gobble down every once in a while did have trans-fat. I'll check the next time (I do recall the entire bag is nothing like the 6.5 grams in a single medium order of Wendy's fries).

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
^^

They don't ~> http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/reesespeanutbuttercups.asp

And neither do Reese's Pieces ~> http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/reesespieces.asp

ShockBoxer
12-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Those aren't Canadian websites. Canadian foods report trans-fat grams of .1 or greater, where US ones are allowed to say '0' if it's less than a certain number.

I'll take a look when I go for lunch tomorrow (I go to a deli at a grocery store).

I eat so much junkfood I could easily be mis-remembering.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Oh. Well that sucks. :p

RedSpikeyThing
12-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Those aren't Canadian websites. Canadian foods report trans-fat grams of .1 or greater, where US ones are allowed to say '0' if it's less than a certain number.

Maybe that's why a recent study showed Canadians eat more trans fat than any other people in the world. At least we're honest about it ;)

ShockBoxer
12-15-2006, 10:20 AM
I checked on the PB cups at lunch like I said I would (and didn't buy them :cry: ). The 'bites' were adverising .1 grams of trans-fat per 42 gram serving. The peanut butter 'mini-cups' were advertising .1 for a 17 gram serving. The full sized regular three cup pack was advertising .1 per 51 gram serving.

I'm guessing '0.1' is their way of saying 'trace amounts'.

So :burger: away!

ArchAngel777
12-15-2006, 12:22 PM
I checked on the PB cups at lunch like I said I would (and didn't buy them :cry: ). The 'bites' were adverising .1 grams of trans-fat per 42 gram serving. The peanut butter 'mini-cups' were advertising .1 for a 17 gram serving. The full sized regular three cup pack was advertising .1 per 51 gram serving.

I'm guessing '0.1' is their way of saying 'trace amounts'.

So :burger: away!

These trace amounts are what people freak about in natty versus regular peanut butter. I just shake my head to see some people apply double standards (not referring to you). Whatever, to each their own.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-15-2006, 12:26 PM
These trace amounts are what people freak about in natty versus regular peanut butter.No, it's the hydrogenated oils.

Alex.V
12-15-2006, 01:07 PM
No, it's the hydrogenated oils.

uhhh... you mean as opposed to trans fats?

Am I missing something?

Bohizzle
12-15-2006, 01:26 PM
uhhh... you mean as opposed to trans fats?

Am I missing something?

:withstupi :scratch:

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-15-2006, 01:43 PM
Yes, I mean as opposed to trans fats. Both natty PB and normal PB both say "0" grams of trans fats, but what natty PB doesn't have that normal PB does is hydrogenated vegetable oils. Hydrogenated = crap

robinhood
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Payday is my personal fave and coincidently, they happen to not be to terrible for you in the grand scheme of candy bars

Bohizzle
12-15-2006, 02:01 PM
Yes, I mean as opposed to trans fats. Both natty PB and normal PB both say "0" grams of trans fats, but what natty PB doesn't have that normal PB does is hydrogenated vegetable oils. Hydrogenated = crap

aren't hydrogenated oils the same as trans fats?:confused:

ArchAngel777
12-15-2006, 02:12 PM
aren't hydrogenated oils the same as trans fats?:confused:

I thought so as well... But after Scarz made that comment, I decided to research it. I am still unclear on the answer, but this is what I have figured out (I think) mine you, I only spend 3 minutes with google to come to this conclusion.

1) Hydrogenated Oils are high in saturated fat, but are free of Trans-Fat, however, they have all their minerals and vitamans stripped out. Essentially, they are a lower quality fat...

2) Partially Hydrogenated oils are what contains the Trans-Fat. Not sure why partially versus fully would change the Trans-Fat content, but I guess it does? Who knows...

If this is wrong, feel free to correct it. I was always under the impression that Hydrogenated Oils = Trans-Fat, I guess now I am not sure.

ShockBoxer
12-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, I'll take .5 grams in a 2000 calorie bag of pb bites over 6.5 grams in a wendy's medium fries any day, as far as cheats go. :)

ArchAngel777
12-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Looks like I was correct (after checking it out).

Taken from here (http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=682)

If the word “hydrogenated” appears in the Ingredients list, does that automatically mean that the food contains trans fat?
Not always. "Partially hydrogenated" oils DO contain some amount of trans fat, but fully "hydrogenated" oils become predominantly saturated fat and do NOT contain trans fat. These fats are included in the saturated fat listing on the Nutrition Facts label.

So, I guess regular peanut butter may in fact have absolutely no trans-fat at all, not even trace ammounts. So the opposition to regular peanut butter is based solely on a very small ammount of hydrogenated oil... Hardly seems worth bickering over, in my opinion.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-15-2006, 02:57 PM
Natural peanut butter tastes better and it's healthier. The ingredients on the back of natural peanut butter are : peanuts, salt -- Yeah. :thumbup:

And normal peanut butter contains fully hydrogenated oils.

Alex.V
12-15-2006, 04:13 PM
It's very difficult to completely hydrogenate all the oil in a given batch. Any hydrogenated oil, even if it's considered "fully hydrogenated", will contain small amounts of trans fats. Failing to hydrogenate even one double bond is enough to result in a trans fat.

That was all I was saying. :)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Oh. Gotcha. ;) I wasn't clear on the disctinction either. Thanks. :)

Bohizzle
12-15-2006, 07:08 PM
very informative :)

ddegroff
12-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Reese's Cups don't have any trans fat. Peanuts don't have trans fat. PB M&M's don't have any trans fat. This regular peanut butter in my cupboard doesn't have any trans fat. Where did you get this idea?

I know peanuts dont have trans fat. BUT in some of the name brand peanut butter's I've seen "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils" in the ingredients. I know it's probably trace amounts in candy so one bag every now and then isn't really going to matter. I do know for a fact the PB M&'s do have "partially hydrogenated vegetable oils", I read that in the ingredients. Again I know probably trace amounts but it's there.

Peanut M&M's are good to go though.

Do you have natural peanut butter?

Ute God
12-15-2006, 09:12 PM
If you can get your hands on some Aussie Bodies HPLC( High Protein Low Carb) Bars, they taste wicked! Chocolate is the best. Nutritional Info (http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/98109.html)

SEALBound
12-18-2006, 11:39 PM
Not really a candy bar, but I love Hoo-ah Bars.