PDA

View Full Version : Questions about cutting and amounts.

EvanH
12-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Alright so for the past couple months I have been doing a sloppy bulk. I have been eating good foods (nothing processed, no fast foods, etc.) just not tracking what I eat.

I would like to start a slow, clean cut. I will use fitday to track my diet once I get it in check.

So I have figured my maintanence to be around 4000-4150 so I would prolly want to start the cut at about 3500 cal/day, correct?

If I follow the basics for fat and protein intake, I should be taking in around 300g (1.5g/bw) of protein every day and 95g (.5g/bw) of fats every day. Now this is where I get a bit confused. Do I multiply 300x4 (amount of cal/gram of protein) and 95x9 (amount of cal/gram of fat.)? This is to get the amount of calories I need to take in from these two macros alone, not counting carbs. Once I do all of that I get 2055cal from protein and fat and I am left with 1445cal for the day.

How many carbs should I be taking in per day? What do I fill in the rest with?

I weigh 190lbs at 5'11". BGB routine.

Thanks for the help.

Pimpstick
12-13-2006, 08:49 AM
It's 1.5 g protein per lb. of lbm, and .5 g fat per lb. lbm.

What is your bf%? This is important in estimating your maintenance cals and macros. Also, im almost exactly your height and weight, 21 years old, and at roughly 14% bf. My maintenance cals are significantly lower than yours. Make sure you aren't overestimating.

Anyways, your macros seem pretty solid. 300 grams protein and around 100 grams fat a day should be sufficient. I'd give it two weeks doing what you're doing, then adjust according to how much weight you lose / gain. Good luck! Stay consistent.

RedSpikeyThing
12-13-2006, 09:44 AM
You really only need about 1 g protein / lb LBM. And for simplicity, make it 1 g of protein/ lb of BW. You're right about that fats.
Yes you can fill the remaining calories with whatever you like. You'll need to be more careful about your carb intake if you decide to carb cycle. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

EvanH
12-13-2006, 09:55 AM
It's 1.5 g protein per lb. of lbm, and .5 g fat per lb. lbm.

What is your bf%? This is important in estimating your maintenance cals and macros. Also, im almost exactly your height and weight, 21 years old, and at roughly 14% bf. My maintenance cals are significantly lower than yours. Make sure you aren't overestimating.

Anyways, your macros seem pretty solid. 300 grams protein and around 100 grams fat a day should be sufficient. I'd give it two weeks doing what you're doing, then adjust according to how much weight you lose / gain. Good luck! Stay consistent.

My bad, I thought it was just bw not lbw. I am not exactly sure what my bf % is. I am guessing around 17-18%. I am shooting for about 13-14%.

Thanks for the help guys :D

Built
12-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Okay, so at your current weight, assuming 17% bodyfat, you have about 158 lbs LBM. You'll hit 13% bodyfat at around 180-181 lbs. Very do-able. In fact, you should be able to drop more than 500 cals a day with maintenance this high: a 20% drop from 4000 cals a day puts you at 3200 cals a day, which is still a crapload of food (ps I hate you), and you shoud be able to drop over a pound and a half a week without even thinking about cardio.

ViciousBish
12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
hey built!!

To add to this topic, I'm 295 now. I want maximum muscle growth. How much protein do you think i need per day. I try to get as much protein I can but I usually end up at like 160-180 grams a day.

zela
12-14-2006, 10:18 AM
I found a article here somewhere and it helped answer all of my questions like you have here.

Attached!