PDA

View Full Version : Input needed on routine

pigeon
12-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Hi,

First post here. I'm training right now to be the best soldier I can possibly be - in the fitness department. So that in mind I have a lot of activities on the go, martial arts, swimming, running, rock climbing, and weight training. My question is regards to weight training. I've put my self on a bit of periodized training area - Origionally I wanted to gain some mass but decided I don't need to put on any weight to accomplish my goals.

Anyway that in mind I decided to move onto the next phase which is strength.

This is my existing routine:

Back Bi:
Chin Ups
Seated Row
T Bar Row
Lat Pull Down
Curls
Reverse Barbell Curls
Hammer Curls

Chest Tri

Dumbell Pullover
Dumbell press
Inclide Dumbell Press
Tricept Exention with EZ Bar
Reverse Tricept Push down
Tricept Push Down
Peck Fly

Legs Shoulder
Squats
Lunge
Thigh Abuductors
Standing Calf Raise
Dumbell Straight arm raises
shoulder press

Anyway I talked to some people at the gym and they reccomended getting deadlifts, and olympic lifts into my routine. I was wondering if i was to focus on strenght training what is it that I need to change? And what reps and sets are ideal?

Will my workout change to something like squats, dead lifts and olympic lifts in the same day, or will I simply factor in these total body exercises into my already existing routine...

Any help would be appretiated im a bit confused.

Sleepy Guy
12-14-2006, 04:33 AM
For best results you should look at full body routines. Many power lifts and Olympic lifts are compound movements. This will impact your current routine because some muscle groups will be too tired to perform the way you would like.

Try and add one major compound movement to every work out. This includes dead lifts, bench press, squat, snatch, clean, and press.. to name a few. Combinations or variations will help strengthen you as well. Like one hand snatch or Romanian dead lifts.

I tend to do a snatch or clean combined with press. Then do a lift like dead lift, trap bar etc. followed by some minor exercises like dips and chins maybe some ab work. The next routine work on the ones I left out always keeping a rotating routine.

One of my biggest faults is that I do not stick to a routine. It keeps my body guessing but perhaps I do not get the most out of it. My routine will change based on how my body reacts that day and not on what I have decided weeks in advance. Guess it depends on the personallity.

Race Bannon
12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
I do not see how any of that stuff is going to make you a better soldier. Maybe better looking... IMO the only things you have listed worth a damn for a soldier are chins, presses and squats. Again, just my opinion.

I think you would be wasting your time with that routine if you want to attain the fitness of a super-soldier. Hope I dont get clobbered for this, but I would recommend crossfit, crossfit.com for their workouts. Tons of military guys there getting in sick shape for combat/military/fire/police stuff. Even if you are not combat, I think crossfit is a better choice. Check it out. I also agree with sleepy guy that using compound movements is certainly going to benefit you more than isolation stuff.

pigeon
12-14-2006, 04:37 PM
I don't understand, how would focusing on making my muscles / body stronger not benefit me?

I know it might detract from cardio or some other activities but if I have a good strength base then in later months when I'm working more on endurance, and power I should be able to preform that much better?

Is that wrong?

waynedang
12-14-2006, 07:27 PM
I agree with R.B. crossfit would be better. The routine you posted looks more like a BB routine. The isolation exercises are fine for the gym. In the way you want to be strong they do not help. You need to build more functional strength. Not sure if you are in the military yet or just trying to get in shape for it but most (no all) big muscled guys struggle with the endurance stuff. I have seen lots of big guys gas on long road marches and runs.

Stick with the fun cardio you do now and add the cross fit or oly stuff and some moderate road marching once a week, 10-15 miles with a pack and you would be better off. Just my thoughts

Elbutcho
12-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Like the others have said drop the isolation stuff.

Sleepy Guy
12-29-2006, 09:26 AM
I did bodybuilding for a number of years but was not happy with all the shinny puffy muscles. You see when I went to help a friend work on his roof, build a deck, do flooring etc. I found that I was not as strong as I thought.

I tried a powerlifting/Olympic style and in a month noticed a large improvement in overall body strength. And I could run!

Coach called it “man strength.” I thought that sounded kind of gay so I rephrased it to functional strength.