PDA

View Full Version : Improving Cardiovascular system...

canadianbuilder
12-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Can someone point me in a direction for improving my cardiovascular system? It is, and has been lacking. Up until June I had done zero exercises related to cardio for almost a year (didn't have any motivation to do so, personal problems).
So now I need some way to improve it. It was recommended I do 4-5 days worth of 20-30 minutes of cardio a week. This is a lot and I can hardly do that much a day, let alone a full week.

How can I improve my cardio? When I am on the treadmill, bike, or eliptical (sp?) I usually go for a short time at a high pace, then I am tired after that.

Should I go less intense and for a longer time? I'd imagine this is the obvious route for my cardio goals?

After I get to a point where I feel like it's up-to-par, how do I maintain it? I've been told that I cannot have,or should have minimal amounts of cardio while building mass. Is lifting weights enough to keep my cardio system healthy and strong?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am still learning...

D Breyer
12-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Look into HIIT training...

canadianbuilder
12-16-2006, 08:18 PM
I will check into that, thanks.

Built
12-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Watch for my January article - I've summarized the various types of cardio and provided a strategy for integrating minimal, effective cardio into your workouts.

canadianbuilder
12-17-2006, 12:01 AM
Watch for my January article - I've summarized the various types of cardio and provided a strategy for integrating minimal, effective cardio into your workouts.

Thanks Built, I will look for it soon.

stepto180
12-17-2006, 06:24 PM
start with simple things like walking for 20-30min even every day if you have time.... then and resistance like hills or stairs or weights..then get back to running and biking but you dont have to do it really hard in the begining do what you can and eventuallly somthing like hitt will be helpful

and yes lifting can help with cardio endurace if you do the right type of lifting...such as cuircuit training or super sets...also plyometrics can be alot of help in this area
if you need examples I can provide them

crazedwombat
12-18-2006, 02:29 PM

sweet!

canadianbuilder
12-18-2006, 03:52 PM
start with simple things like walking for 20-30min even every day if you have time.... then and resistance like hills or stairs or weights..then get back to running and biking but you dont have to do it really hard in the begining do what you can and eventuallly somthing like hitt will be helpful

and yes lifting can help with cardio endurace if you do the right type of lifting...such as cuircuit training or super sets...also plyometrics can be alot of help in this area
if you need examples I can provide them

Thanks. I don't exactly know what plyometrics is, I will look into that though.

I will take the suggestion of walking for prolonged periods of time and gradually increase the intensity. Then I will bring in HIIT.

ericg
12-18-2006, 07:29 PM
HIIT is the *****.

Depending on your level you can start with a jog/walk interval. Ive almost killed myself a few times doing HIIT on a treadmill (sprinting/jog) so I do it on a bike now if I am at the gym.

canadianbuilder
12-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Will doing HIIT on a bike give me the same results as on a treadmill?

pigeon
12-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Cardio is very important to me, I swim bike and run for cardio.

I've noticed that none is a substitute for the other, therefore if you bike a lot you get better at biking...

What I have noticed though is all 3 in conjunction enable you to take your cardio training to a higher level, raising the base so to speak.

Also by training well in one area your system is more readily able to adapt to a new sport.

I think of it like this. Biking: Slowly and thouroughly challenges the cardio system. Swimming: Using your cardio abilities to its fullest due to lack of oxygen. Running: medium challenge, medium cardio drain max benfit IMO