PDA

View Full Version : Confused about nutrition labels

IHaveToCrushYou
12-18-2006, 02:01 AM
Whats with nutrition labels not mentioning every kind of fat in them? Companies are good at accounting for carbs but when it comes to the fats things just dont add up. FOr example, take a look at a label and check out the carbs: Total = 5g and usually they tell you that 3g is sugar and 2g are fibre or something.

Now with fats Im finding that 100% of the time all the fats arent explained. I have these almonds that have 26g fat per serving but it only mentions that 2 g are saturated fats. So what are the other 24g consisting of? Polyunsaturated? Monounsaturated? Am I supposed to assume that the rest is one kind based on the food it is?

malkore
12-19-2006, 03:11 PM
blame your government. in the USA, our food fact labels do need to state the types of fat, including trans fat.
but, even here, if it contains less than .5g of trans fat per serving, they can legally say it contains 0g trans fat per serving.

but if you read the ingredients, and it says "hydrogenate/partially hydrogenated oil or fat" then you know it contains trans fats.

stepto180
12-19-2006, 03:30 PM
he hit it right on the head...they are not required to put iton there so why would they if it makes their product look better without it

AzBboy
12-19-2006, 03:34 PM
Hey I feel you man, I can't even go to a supermarket and buy steaks or any cuts of meat really because none of them are f'in labeled. I refuse to use fitday cus that just ballparks it and it's far too important to me to just rely on a ballpark figure. Whats up with not putting nutrition labels on cuts of meat?

ArchAngel777
12-19-2006, 04:47 PM
blame your government. in the USA, our food fact labels do need to state the types of fat, including trans fat.
but, even here, if it contains less than .5g of trans fat per serving, they can legally say it contains 0g trans fat per serving.

but if you read the ingredients, and it says "hydrogenate/partially hydrogenated oil or fat" then you know it contains trans fats.

I am pretty sure the FDA requires food labels to report Trans-Fats. In fact, I am sure of it. Certain foods require certain labels. If you notice, Peanut Butter will always break down the fat content between the big three (four if you include trans).

However, if there is less than .5 grams per serving, they can label it as 0. Now, a lot of people in this forum have difference opinions on this. I find that if the serving size is legit (sometimes they are not, however) then lesst han .5 is indeed negligable. However, I would still vote (if it were an option) to display the ENTIRE contents of a package.

Pam Cooking Spray would then have fat, calories, and a host of other things that would surprise people. Splenda would indeed have calories despite the "no calorie claim"!

Yes, I agree that our government needs to enforce more detail on the food labels. But the problem is that whenever things like that are brought up, people cry that the government should not be involved in this sort of thing... So, you know, you get opposition to this stuff. You could always move to Canada :D

divided
12-20-2006, 11:00 AM
However, if there is less than .5 grams per serving, they can label it as 0. Now, a lot of people in this forum have difference opinions on this. I find that if the serving size is legit (sometimes they are not, however) then lesst han .5 is indeed negligable. However, I would still vote (if it were an option) to display the ENTIRE contents of a package.

Truth.