PDA

View Full Version : Bleeding in the gym?

McIrish
12-18-2006, 03:34 AM
Hey guys, I have a question - whenever I do deadlifts, I keep the bar close to my shins. I end up scraping my knees on the way down, and since I deadlift weekly I perenially have scabs/cuts on my knee that just get cut again every time I deadlift. I often end up bleeding a bit - I'm curious, aside from the fact that a gym barbell isn't the cleanest thing ever and I probably pick up no small amount of airborne bacteria/etc., am I at risk for any more serious health-related problems? I'm specifically curious about the spread of communicable disease (something along the lines of hepatitis-d).

I realize this is probably the hypochondriac in me talking, but peace of mind is priceless, eh?

Any thoughts?

krboyd7
12-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Any break in the skin leaves an individual open to increased risks of infection.The major concern is if anyone lifting,(like urself) has this same problem with the bar. Grazing and cutting their skin.I am sure that you are well aware that hep d can be transmited via blood.

"Hepatitis D is a type of viral hepatitis caused by the hepatitis D virus (HDV), which needs the hepatitis B virus to exist. Only people who are already infected with hepatitis B can be infected with hepatitis D"

If you are worried

"Get the hepatitis B vaccine and reduce your risk".

If the bar is clean you should try not to worry.

I think you should perfect your deadlift technique to eliminate this.

Fuzzy
12-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Bring some wipe and clean it.

I recently got two long strips shaved onto my shins while I was asleep at camp, hehehe.

ANyway, upon returning to the world of lifting, I realised the bar just glided up my shins rather thanrubbing with the hair, nice smooth ride lol.

Detard
12-18-2006, 06:23 AM
try putting chalk on your shins.

Unreal
12-18-2006, 08:04 AM
I wear long pants on dead days. Rarely do I bleed through them, but sometimes I do. I constanly have scabs on my shins. If I cared enough I would probably shave the area and use some tape under the pants.

deeder
12-18-2006, 10:28 AM

That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Chalk increases friction.

OP:

Of course you're at risk if you have open wounds... Bring bleach solution or something and wipe down the bar before and after you use it. I know I'd be pissed if I saw somebody bleeding all over the bar then just walk away.

LivinItUp
12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
No offense, but that is f'ing nasty...pulling scabs off from deadlifting and bleeding...dude why don't you wear shin pads?? It's better than people watching you f up your shins. I'd wear shin pads if I was bleeding from it, damn.

On a side note, I've bled out the cuticle of my thumb before while bench pressing, it was pretty sick! I didn't even notice til' I was done with my set. Never happened before or again though after that, so I'm good to go.

BFGUITAR
12-18-2006, 02:31 PM
WEAR LONG PANTS
It will solve your problem.

Relentless
12-18-2006, 03:00 PM
I think you should perfect your deadlift technique to eliminate this.

Good deadlift technique involves keeping the bar as close as possible to your legs while pulling it. Sometimes that means scraping a little skin off, depending on your size, shape and biomechanics.

As others have said... wear long pants on deadlift day and this will largely eliminate the problem.

Sidior
12-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Good deadlift technique involves keeping the bar as close as possible to your legs while pulling it. Sometimes that means scraping a little skin off, depending on your size, shape and biomechanics.

As others have said... wear long pants on deadlift day and this will largely eliminate the problem.

This is dependent on how you pull though. For some forms it makes more sense to start with the bar a little further in front of you.

Sidior
12-18-2006, 05:05 PM

You may mean baby powder.

beatlesfreak
12-18-2006, 05:12 PM
WEAR LONG PANTS

Agreed.

I never do deads in shorts.

Not only do I hate scraping the skin off my shins, I want to avoid the possibility that someone will complain to management that I've left blood and skin on the bars.

Plain old Hanes sweat pants are less than $10 a pair and may save you not only a lot of pain and worry, but may prevent you from being kicked out of your gym.

Mercuryblade
12-19-2006, 06:06 PM
I never do deads in shorts.

Last Thursday I got done doing a set of deadlifts, I was so pumped because I had just finished my last final. I had the song from the 300 movie preview playing in my headphones. I didn't even notice that I had blood running down my legs until I finished my last set. It looked cool, but I think I need to wear sweatpants from now on.

hoser813
12-19-2006, 10:51 PM
WEAR LONG PANTS

yup... i never go in to the gym for back day without sweat pants.

-Superman-
12-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Hey guys, I have a question - whenever I do deadlifts, I keep the bar close to my shins. I end up scraping my knees on the way down, and since I deadlift weekly I perenially have scabs/cuts on my knee that just get cut again every time I deadlift. I often end up bleeding a bit - I'm curious, aside from the fact that a gym barbell isn't the cleanest thing ever and I probably pick up no small amount of airborne bacteria/etc., am I at risk for any more serious health-related problems? I'm specifically curious about the spread of communicable disease (something along the lines of hepatitis-d).

I realize this is probably the hypochondriac in me talking, but peace of mind is priceless, eh?

Any thoughts?

I have never cut myself deadlifting yet and have only done it for 5-6 months. I don't see why people get 'war wounds' or cuts in their shin area. You can still deadlift properly without scraping the hell out of your legs. If you must have the bar that close, wear pants or tape around your shin area. I have seen lots of deadlift videos and I don't see the people in those videos cutting their legs up. Also, having a bunch of scabs on your shins is not a turn-on for girls. :D

:thumbup:

the doc
12-20-2006, 11:03 AM
wear sweat pants

Phenom
12-26-2006, 11:36 AM
knee socks FTW

Detard
12-26-2006, 06:05 PM
That's the worst idea I've ever heard. Chalk increases friction.

uhh have u ever seen powerlifters? when they deadlift they have either chalk or baby powder all the way up their legs... :bang:

Stray
12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
You're worried about catching something from someone else but you're the one bleeding all over the place.

:bang:

That's nasty - work on your form or wear pants.

Bikkstah
12-26-2006, 07:51 PM
I always wear pants. Issue resolved.

bloodninja
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
I'm not sure if anyone said this already, but wear pants.

Stray
12-26-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure if anyone said this already, but wear pants.

That's crazy enough to work!

Detard
12-26-2006, 09:55 PM
put strips of clear packing tape on the front of your shins?(good luck getting it off if you actually do this)

Tofer
12-26-2006, 10:02 PM
uhh have u ever seen powerlifters? when they deadlift they have either chalk or baby powder all the way up their legs... :bang:
It's talcum powder.