PDA

View Full Version : Cooking eggs in the microwave?

krboyd7
12-18-2006, 05:42 AM
I do my scrambled eggs in the microwave at work.Would the microwave denature the protein in the egg?

RedSpikeyThing
12-18-2006, 09:09 AM
No more than any other source of heat would.

seK
12-18-2006, 11:11 AM
I do my scrambled eggs in the microwave at work.Would the microwave denature the protein in the egg?
Not to the extent that you should worry about it. I would be more worried about them tasting like a Tire.

teaturtle
12-18-2006, 08:43 PM
SICK! i never even knew u could cooks eggs in a microwave!!! ew:(....

Roddy
12-18-2006, 10:45 PM
^^^ sure can, spray some Pam into a cereal bowl, crack egg into it... microwave for about 50 seconds (put a paper towel over top) and you have a cooked egg. Throw it in a whole wheat bun, with some cheese and ham.

stepto180
12-18-2006, 11:57 PM
dang i think you can cook anything in a microwave...my sister cooks sweet potatoes in it and was confused that I boiled them:micro: I just liked this smily and thought this was going to be the most appropriate place to use it :)

drwost
12-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Cooking is supposed to "denature" your food

Denaturation is the alteration of a protein shape through some form of external stress (for example, by applying heat, acid or alkali), in such a way that it will no longer be able to carry out its cellular function. Denatured proteins can exhibit a wide range of characteristics, from loss of solubility to communal aggregation.

Proteins are very long strands of amino acids linked together in specific sequences. A protein is created by ribosomes that "read" codons in the gene and assemble the requisite amino acid combination from the genetic instruction, in a process known as translation. The newly created protein strand then undergoes post-translational modification in which additional atoms or molecules are added, for example copper, zinc, iron. Once this post-translational modification process has been completed, the protein begins to fold (spontaneously, and sometimes with enzymatic assistance), curling up on itself so that hydrophobic elements of the protein are buried deep inside the structure and hydrophilic elements end up on the outside. The final shape of a protein determines how it interacts with its environment.

jft9120
12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
eww just had an ap bio final stop it! lol yea its actually not that bad i make scrambled eggs in the mic all the time

McVein
12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
I scramble 'em in a mirowave too...I didnt know there was another way lol

timlovesrugby
05-01-2007, 07:52 AM
i boil them in microwave.. i guess its not really boiling but its similar result
got theres little plastic cups with lids made specially for it :P

manowar669
05-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Microwaves vary a lot. I do eggs in small time increments until I dial in the microwave, cause you can blow them all over the place. 50 seconds in my microwave at home would blow scrambled eggs to pieces. And watch which plastic you nuke your eggs in, the plastic can leave carcinogenic dioxins in your food (not just eggs).

Rock Steady
05-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Reading the title of this thread almost made me puke in my cubicle at work. Ewwwwwwww.

KingWilder
05-01-2007, 03:15 PM
they taste pretty much the same

how do you think fast food places cook their eggs?

Con
05-01-2007, 05:05 PM
At wawa(convenience store) their breakfast sandwhiches(almost identical to mcdonalds') are made using an oven.

Lones Green
05-01-2007, 05:36 PM
i think i'll stick with the teflon skillet.

Rock Steady
05-01-2007, 05:50 PM
I've tried it once and they tasted like rubber.

dabaugh
05-01-2007, 06:07 PM
this is narsty.

onecrazycowgirl
05-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I live in a dorm, so my 2 choices for cooking at (1) the legal microwave or (2) the forbidden toaster that I smuggled in and keep hidden when I'm not using it.

I'm not gonna reiterate what the good drwost said, because he probably understands it way better than I do, as a mere premed student. But yeah. What he said.

kique
05-02-2007, 12:54 PM
the certain thing is that microwaved food is not the same as regularly cooked food, the waves alter it , go google it itll make u never wanna use the mirowave again >.<

malkore
05-03-2007, 09:26 AM
they make little egg cooker things too...EggWave or something. they come in 4 packs.

less rubbery, but they are messy cuz the eggs expand and squirt out the top sometimes. but its quick and convenient.

Eric Cartman
05-04-2007, 11:49 PM
I just tried to cook some eggs in the microwave... it worked ok, but tasted kind of strange...