PDA

View Full Version : Can too much protein powder be bad for you?

SEALBound
12-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I found this new protein powder that I really like. I find myself drinking alot of it lately...as in like 4-5 shakes a day. In fact its taking up a good portion of my calorie in take.

Is too much protein powder bad for you? Or having it take up a portion of your caloric in take.

Holto
12-18-2006, 09:46 PM
No.

Grunt76
12-19-2006, 01:46 PM
Yes. It can screw up your kidneys especially if you don't drink huge amounts of water daily. 2 grams per lb of LBM is a level where adding more usually will not provide any better results.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
12-19-2006, 02:03 PM
It won't screw up your kidneys unless you have already existing kidney problems. Studies have shown that a high protein diet is fine for individuals with healthy kidneys. Getting in enough fluids is important, though.

I wouldn't worry so much about the protein as I would the fact that you're consuming the bulk of your calories in shakes. You need to vary your diet more.

Davidelmo
12-19-2006, 04:19 PM
No it's not bad for you unless you have pre-existing kidney problems. Berardi has discussed this at length for anyone who says otherwise.

Grunt is correct however that at a certain point it becomes pointless to add even more protein.

The only negative effect might be that your diet will be lacking in fibre and you might have troublesome visits to the toilet if you rely on a shake-only diet for a long time. Also some people seem to get GI discomfort from protein powder.

SEALBound
12-20-2006, 01:52 AM
Its not that I'm relying on it...its just that when I'm hungry its "Oh...I think I'll mix myself a protein drink :) "

I eat my 3 square meals a day. Shake in the morning and at night and after workouts. Just like after dinner or something if I get hungry, boom, fix myself a shake. We're talking about 2 scoops in each for about 46g protein per shake.

Snakeoffire
12-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Yeah, too much of anything could be bad