PDA

View Full Version : A SHAKE During training???

Jeffreyk
12-19-2006, 05:39 AM
I searched and have mixed results........I know IBF* does bcaas and virt....and I am having trouble getting a meal in 1-2 hours post training, so just curious if anyone takes in a shake or sips on one during their routine....results? Crash? What is your recipe?

Wouldn't drinking anything say virtago, whey and bcaas during blunt any fat burning efforts?

Built
12-19-2006, 08:59 AM
I don't know what virtago is, but read Get Built (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=274)for info on the during-workout shake.

Maki Riddington
12-19-2006, 09:09 AM
I've had several guys at the gym comment about the positive use of Virtago during their workouts. I personally sip on 10 grams of BCAAs and 25 grams of a Virtago type mix. In my experience it does make a noticeable difference in my gym workouts.

Jeffreyk
12-19-2006, 09:26 AM
True, but it blunts any and all fat buring effects.......I think after research, I'm gonna stick to whey pre and then my cocktail post.....even if I do get tired as hell and hungry....maybe my rotuine is too long.

RedSpikeyThing
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
True, but it blunts any and all fat buring effects.......I think after research,

Links please?

Built
12-19-2006, 09:26 PM
Why are you concerned with fat loss on a lifting workout, Jeffreyk?

HeavyBomber
12-19-2006, 09:41 PM
I eat before, I eat after, I eat all the time. Hell, I'd eat a full course meal right in the middle of my workout if I could stomach it.

Questor
12-19-2006, 10:17 PM
A cheapo wallmart protein shake saved my workout tonight - I had foolishly mixed too many caffienes before my workout and got sick during the squats. The shake balanced out my tummy and got me back on track.

Yay shake!

stepto180
12-20-2006, 12:47 AM
I try and get in a pre workout shake but generally end up sipping it thru out the workout
(I have pratice then lifitng so its normally about 3hrs long) so if I start to drag which I tend to do I will eat an apple generally between lifting and pratice it will help bring my insulin levels back to normal..
I will drink idealy after but sometimes during lifting a mix of BCAA's and glutamine I forget the grams at the moment(occasionally Iwill mix these with the shake and drink during workout)

Jeffreyk
12-20-2006, 05:40 AM
I just dont want the shake to interfere with muscle building properties.....for those who do take one DURING...what is your recipe? Protein only? What are your stats?

Lean-N-Mean
12-20-2006, 07:54 AM
I eat before, I eat after, I eat all the time. Hell, I'd eat a full course meal right in the middle of my workout if I could stomach it.

Agree!!!:clap:

stepto180
12-20-2006, 01:38 PM
I just dont want the shake to interfere with muscle building properties.....for those who do take one DURING...what is your recipe? Protein only? What are your stats?

Im a girl 5'6" 170lbs bench 215 squat 280 dead 315

like I said normally just protien (aprox 40g) sometimes I will throw in the glutamine (20-25g) and BCAA's the same amount

Slim Schaedle
12-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Even a small amount of dextrose destroys my caffeine/eph euphoric buzz (which I really enjoy during training)

not that this really helps you or addresses the question

Davidelmo
12-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Berardi (my new hero, lol) and a few other big names reccommend dextrose + protein shake during a workout.

I do this:
45 mins before - 40g maltodextrin, 30g whey, 5 g creatine
During - dextrose, malto, whey, guarana extract (blend that I made up on myprotein.co.uk)
Post - 40g malto, 50g whey
Then food

Built
12-20-2006, 09:19 PM

How could a shake interfere with muscle building? Didn't you mention a concern with fat-burning earlier?

MagnaSephiroth
12-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Does drinking a shake during really stop the fat burning effect? Cause i drink during my workout and im trying to burn fat cause im on a cut.

galileo
12-21-2006, 07:21 PM
There was a thread in this forum on Pre/Post Workout nutrition. May be something valuable there.

I do recommend a mild dex/pro shake before and during a workout. Regardless of how "fast" whey is compared to others, it's still going to take time to get in the bloodstream, so a post shake alone is not ideal.

Chris686
12-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Also, be sure to starve yourself for two hours after your workout in order to maximize your fat burning effects.

(Sarcasm.)

This is one of those times where you're overthinking things. You should really be paying attention to your total caloric intake and macros, not if and when you should be drinking a shake.

If you want a shake during your workout, drink it.

Optimum08
12-22-2006, 12:32 AM
so im seeing the consensus here is that sipping a dex/whey shake before/during the workout is better than just water during and dex/whey shake immediately afterwards?

Optimum08
12-22-2006, 12:33 AM
i guess im just so used to the "anabolic window" like 15-20 minutes postworkout. would it be wise to split my PWO shake in half and talk half before/during and take the other half PWO? (usual PWO shake is 2 scoops ON Whey (48g pro), 1/4c. dex, 5g creatine).

Built
12-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Couple of references from Get Built Issue 5 (http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=282) for you on the merits of the pre-workout shake:

22. The Top 10 Post Workout Nutrition Myths, Dave Barr, http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666

23. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Aug;281(2):E197-206. Timing of amino acid-carbohydrate ingestion alters anabolic response of muscle to resistance exercise. Tipton KD, Rasmussen BB, Miller SL, Wolf SE, Owens-Stovall SK, Petrini BE, Wolfe RR. Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, Texas 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.eduhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11440894&dopt=Abstract

stepto180
12-22-2006, 02:38 AM
thanks built... I really enjoyed the t-nation article I hear so many things from well educated people about these types of things I just take it for fact ...its nice to see a little reasoning behind it

Jeffreyk
12-22-2006, 05:32 AM
I guess imo, there is a reason it's called a POST workout shake.....if you need one during, maybe you are training TOO LONG!

RedSpikeyThing
12-22-2006, 09:00 AM
if you need one during, maybe you are training TOO LONG!

Very possible. I've definately had some hour long workouts that kicked my ass, though. ME Lower comes to mind.

I think I'm going to jump on this during workout shake bandwagon and pick up some maltodextrin in the new year.

Jeffreyk
12-22-2006, 10:13 AM
For now, Ill stick with oats n whey or whey and virtago....