PDA

View Full Version : amount per bodywieght of carbs to keep leptin levels optimal

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-12-2002, 04:21 PM
i think im wording this right? does anyone know the answer

aeckhardt
02-12-2002, 09:34 PM
Well that would depend. Obviously you only need to worry about leptin levels when cutting. No matter what you do when cutting your leptin levels will fall, that is why you need refeeds.

But, what has been found to work best is the isocaloric macronutrient breakdown.

Par Deus
02-12-2002, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by aeckhardt
Well that would depend. Obviously you only need to worry about leptin levels when cutting.

Actually, along with insulin, it is leptin that mediates the positive effects of overeating (i.e. a mass phase) on muscle gains.

aeckhardt
02-13-2002, 07:02 AM
Alright, that is true, but I just figured that leptin levels while overeating would just make a person feel full all the time.

Now that you mention it, I had not considered all the other things leptin has an affect on. So this brings up a new question. How do you keep letin optimal while bulking?

Par Deus
02-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Alright, that is true, but I just figured that leptin levels while overeating would just make a person feel full all the time.

Now that you mention it, I had not considered all the other things leptin has an affect on. So this brings up a new question. How do you keep letin optimal while bulking?

It kind of happens on its own -- the more you overeat (particularly carbs), the more leptin increases.

A better question is how do we keep leptin high while bulking, without turning into a fat ass. And, there are several approaches to that. One is to rotate bulking and dieting fairly frequently -- bulk to 13-15%, diet to 10-12%, repeat. Another is some form of cyclical diet. Eat slightly below maintence for a period, followed by overeating for a period -- the length of each can vary. I have just begun experimenting with 16 hours of dieting followed by 8 hours of overfeeding.

aeckhardt
02-13-2002, 10:12 AM
So how do you break that up in regards to the actual day. Do you overfeed from the time you workout unitl bed to supply nutrients and then diet from when you wake up until you workout again?

Is it is more general than that? I am currently doing a Monday, Weds. , Fri. split and I feel it would work well to bulk during lifting days and diet during off days. So we'll see.

Or maybe I should switch that around since insulin sensitivity decreases after very intense sessions.

=w=
02-13-2002, 02:14 PM
Also how low do you cut cals below maintanace for the 16 hours? and how high above for the 8? Thanks

Mr.Buttcheeks
02-13-2002, 04:44 PM
thanks for your input my fellow liftaz. i have found success pigging out or refeeding once every 2 weeks only for a short period of time maybe 3 hours in the morning when im cutting (presently cutting) eating whatever floats your boat ya know. it seems that works really well i come to the gym the next day bloated from water retention and higher strength but fatter somewhat. it seems it takes me about 4 or 5 days to get back to where i was before i pigged out in terms of bodyfat percentage.

the doc
02-13-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Par Deus

It kind of happens on its own -- the more you overeat (particularly carbs), the more leptin increases.

A better question is how do we keep leptin high while bulking, without turning into a fat ass. And, there are several approaches to that. One is to rotate bulking and dieting fairly frequently -- bulk to 13-15%, diet to 10-12%, repeat. Another is some form of cyclical diet. Eat slightly below maintence for a period, followed by overeating for a period -- the length of each can vary. I have just begun experimenting with 16 hours of dieting followed by 8 hours of overfeeding.

interesting, i've been experimenting with 3 down 1 up type pattern. I cant say how great its been going as my weight tends to fluctuate but i feel strong and dont appear smaller.

aeckhardt
02-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey buttcheeks I think you might be misunderstanding. We aren't talking about just pigging out. We are talking about controlled refeeds to restore leptin levels. Specifically high carb/medium protein/low fat refeeds.

Par Deus
02-13-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by =w=
Also how low do you cut cals below maintanace for the 16 hours? and how high above for the 8? Thanks

I don't really count calories, but it is probably 20% below, then 50% above.

I should probably do more like 5-10% below, since I am trying to gain some muscle, but I start working and forget to eat.

Par Deus
02-13-2002, 09:43 PM
So how do you break that up in regards to the actual day. Do you overfeed from the time you workout unitl bed to supply nutrients and then diet from when you wake up until you workout again?

Yep.

As to the other part of your post, your workout schedule is the same as I used on the Original Cyclical Isocaloric Diet (TM:)