PDA

View Full Version : Carbs on a cut: Postworkout - why?

Warrior10
12-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Presently I am cutting and my carb intake is restricted to ONLY my pre-workout and post-workout meals.

However, I am not sure as to why I should have carb at the post-workout.

I understand that the carb intake pre-workout is mainly for energy/fuel. But why is it good to have it after a workout on a cut (along with protein of course)? I have a few notions but I am 100% sure on them.

Forumites, please advise.

Mr. D
12-23-2006, 09:22 AM
Read Get Built Issue 5. That might help answer your question.

Warrior10
12-24-2006, 01:38 AM
I read it but not sure I'm satisfied. Can anyone inform me? THanks.

Unreal
12-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Refill glycogen stores, and blunt cortisol.

Built
12-24-2006, 12:34 PM
If you've had enough pre-workout, post isn't as important, although you do have preferential insulin sensitivity post workout.

You can have carbs in ALL your meals on a cut. I limit mine because they make me hungry and I prefer to spend my calories on protein and fat.

Warrior10
12-24-2006, 12:44 PM
If you've had enough pre-workout, post isn't as important, although you do have preferential insulin sensitivity post workout.

You can have carbs in ALL your meals on a cut. I limit mine because they make me hungry and I prefer to spend my calories on protein and fat.

Ok I hear that...but what is the purpose of carb post-workout on a cut.

Or let me put it differently...what are the ramifications if I have only protein and fat AFTER lifting heavy on a caloric deficit (a cut)?

Built
12-24-2006, 01:05 PM
If you've had sufficient protein and carb BEFORE your workout, and your workout wasn't horribly long - probably nothing. You'll have available amino acids and sufficient insulin to counter cortisol.

I did it for a long time this way myself. I did find the leaner I became, the more important post-workout carbs became.

Lean-N-Mean
12-24-2006, 06:25 PM
When we talk post workout shake or meal , how long after the workout is absorption by the body optimal? ie. Should I take a shake to the gym with me , or is 15 minutes after my last rep when I am home okay.

Built
12-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Take it with you.

Warrior10
12-24-2006, 08:52 PM
I did find the leaner I became, the more important post-workout carbs became.

Why was this so?

Thanks for bearing with me Built.

Quattro
12-25-2006, 07:22 PM
Take it with you.

Would aminos do the job of shuttling nutrients to muscles and lowering cortisol until you got home?

Built
12-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Warrior, I don't know, but I *think* it was because my insulin sensitivity increased and I was more muscular. It MIGHT have been because I was spewing out more cortisol. I'm really not sure, but when I was quite fat, post workout carbs made me feel sick. Now they make me feel good.

Quattro - maybe. I just really, REALLY prefer food to BCAAs so I haven't looked into it.

Warrior10
04-03-2007, 11:24 PM
If you've had sufficient protein and carb BEFORE your workout, and your workout wasn't horribly long - probably nothing. You'll have available amino acids and sufficient insulin to counter cortisol.

What is cortisol exactly, and what effect does it have on muscle (during a cutting phase) if I have NO post-workout carb and very little, if any, pre-workout carb?

What if I have VERY little or NO carb on a cut? Right now I'll have a meal like a chicken breast or salmon with broccoli for a post-workout meal. Bad call during a cut or not?

NB - I do ensure that I have sufficient protein daily.

Dizzee
04-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I go the gym before I have ate anything, is that ok?

Buzzsaw
04-04-2007, 05:36 PM
I go the gym before I have ate anything, is that ok?

Not really. You need fuel for an efficient workout.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
04-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I go the gym before I have ate anything, is that ok?Do you mean you skip breakfast or you don't have a meal for a while before working out?