PDA

View Full Version : The Holiday's Got Me... *Glycogen Related Question*

ArchAngel777
12-26-2006, 11:44 AM
So both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day I ate a junkload of unhealthy food. Some of it was actually healthy, but lets forget that part... I estimated around 3,500 - 4,000 calories for the first day, and around 4,000 for the second day.

Now, here is the question... I was completely depleted of Glycogen. I have been for quite some time... Daily calories were around ~1,750. I guess I am just curious more than anything, but the question is two fold...

1) Can Junk Food fill up muscle glycogen stores?
2) If it can, how much (on average) glygocen can the body store? And is there a reference for that? I ask because google has a lot of conflicting information and people like Built, Shady, Holto probably have the best answers out there...

I suppose the question is more mental than anything though. I really think 1 cheat day like I had was healthy for the mind (I had been good for 4 months!) and the second day was just plain bad... But anyway, it would be nice to know that some of those excess calories actually went to help my cut and went to glycogen storage, sort of like 1 step backwards, 3 fowards type thing... I just don't want to feel like I gained 1 pound of fat through this ordeal! :-(

And yes, I already know I was a bad boy and should have never eaten like I did.... But damn it, I am human!

Thanks for any replies...

AzBboy
12-26-2006, 12:03 PM
What kind of food? Junk food tells us NOTHING. What did you eat?? And the amount of glycogen your body can store depends on how big your muscles are, bigger muscles can obviously store much more, smaller much less.

ArchAngel777
12-26-2006, 12:13 PM
What kind of food? Junk food tells us NOTHING. What did you eat?? And the amount of glycogen your body can store depends on how big your muscles are, bigger muscles can obviously store much more, smaller much less.

Junk food is called Junk food because I know it isn't good for you and I have no idea what the hell is in it... I didn't ask everyone at the party what the ingredients to their cookies, pies, and sweets were! Besides, you can be damned sure most junkfood is a sucrose + saturated fats + trans fat.

As far as storage, I said "on average", which is just that, an average male. I wasn't looking for 654.2 grams of glucose as the answer, but more of say 300 - 400g for the average male, etc...

Just found that Lyle said the average male (155 pounds, 15% BF) can store around 500 grams of glycogen, max. That part is cool... I already Fructose favors fat storage after the liver is filled with Glycogen, however, I don't know if it is POSSIBLE for Fructose to EVER fill muscle Glycogen. It might favor one, but can it do either? Since Sucrose is 1:1 ratio of Fructose and Sucrose, I would imagine 1/2 of the calories follow suite with Fructose while the others follow glucose patterns. I just wish I knew more about this stuff. The internet has a lot of conflicting data out there.

I was also reading up on leptin, so my binge eating might have at least increased my leptin levels.

stepto180
12-27-2006, 01:02 AM
the bookstore is a great place or even text books you can learn alot even tho they tend to be boring

and in sweets there are plenty of carbohydrates that Im sure replenished your glycogen levels sufficently...2 days in a row tho the frist day was a good thing second day was over kill but heck good for mental sanity