PDA

View Full Version : Just because gym cafe sells it doesn't mean it is healthy

twcolabear
12-27-2006, 12:05 PM
Do you all agree? I suppose the cafe can cater to men who are trying to bulk, but it seems like most choices would still be loaded with lots of calories. I go to a very fancy gym (work pays for it, yey!) and they have a cafe, while wating for my protein shake I was observing the portion sizes that were coming out, and they are huge! I also ordered yogurt, and I thought I'd get a little plastic jar you get at grocery store, instead they bring out this bowl size container of yogurt, not bad for the price,but it makes me wonder how many calories it has. So what are your opinions on gym cafes?

Alex.V
12-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Can be lousy. The one here at Duke sells smoothies. They're supposed to be protein shakes.

The nutrition facts they post are for 3 scoops (one serving) of MRP... 50-ish grams of protein, 20-ish of carbs, the like.

But the actual shake ingredients tend to be along the lines of:

2 cups 1% milk
1 scoop MRP
2 fl. oz. sugar syrup
3 oreos
2 tbsp peanut butter

mm, healthy.

Optimum08
12-27-2006, 02:31 PM
mmmm. oreos.

robinhood
12-27-2006, 03:14 PM
The gym I go to has it's own cafe as well but everything actually seems to be in line with being 'healthy' and even tailors to some specific diets (ie. atkins, abs, etc)

Personally, I don't bother with it as its usually too expensive!

EvanH
12-27-2006, 04:26 PM
There are protein shakes at my gym that are sold in a can. They have over 40g of sugar per serving. When I tried one I thought it tasted delicious, turned to the nutritional facts and found out why.

c3p
12-27-2006, 05:02 PM
I totaly agree with you twcolabear. All my gym has is like a refrigerator with muscle milk and some cutting drinks (which taste amazing for the ratios). The only draw back is that they are like 4-5 bucks. Lucky for me, I have Nitrean. :strong:

Stumprrp
12-27-2006, 05:14 PM
the golds im currently going to has a bar and i looked at the facts of the shakes, most are made with milk, protien, peanut butter and oats, you can get fruit too, pretty cool! i rather just get a premade muscle milk and ultra high sugar bar though :D

to bad i cant, gay cutting