PDA

View Full Version : Picking Up Grappling/Wrest

c3p
12-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Hello Guys.

I recently have developed an interest for grappling over the past few weeks. Mainly because I like the physiques and just, well...WRESTLING!

I really would like to get involved in the wrestling team at my school, but I do not think I could make the team, wrestling isn't even that popular in Texas, since I have no past experience.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started?

Maybe some good videos, websites, books, techniques?

Anything would be appreciated. :strong:

Bicster
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
Hello Guys.
wrestling isn't even that popular in Texas. :strong:

Uhh, how long have you been in TX?

c3p
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
I was born in Houston and I have been here all my life. I wasn't even exposed to wrestling until a few weeks ago. :scratch:

Kevin89
12-27-2006, 10:46 PM
I think you can just join the wrestling team in most schools with out being on the team, you will still be able to go to the practices and learn

c3p
12-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Na, I asked this kid on the team and he said they the coach don't teach you anything. Which infuriates me. :swear:

KevinStarke
12-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Then what does the coach do...?

c3p
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
I guess pretty much supervise the kids.

Back on topic please.

phatmonky
12-29-2006, 09:00 AM
You're in Houston - I KNOW there are several places teaching BJJ in houston.

Go find one and join.

c3p
12-29-2006, 03:07 PM
Really? Well, I am going to join the team anyways.

Unholy
12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Best of luck and if you dont learn from the coach Im sure you will learn alot from your team members. Wrestling is HUGE in NY

shootermcgavin7
12-29-2006, 06:09 PM
If the coach is that bad, I'm sure there are tons of camps in the offseason. You may have to suffer through one year where you aren't as technically sound as some people, but you can definitely correct this in the off-season if you are really dedicated.

I couldn't do a takedown for crap nearly my entire freshman year; but through those offseason camps I was at least mediocre by the time I graduated.

c3p
12-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the support guys! I am pretty light in weight, but I am really fast so I bet I could take down an opponent with some quick moves. :D

Does anyone have any good wrestling resources?

calvan
01-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the support guys! I am pretty light in weight, but I am really fast so I bet I could take down an opponent with some quick moves. :D

Just because you are quick doesn't mean you can take someone down at all. You have to know how to wrestle...

c3p
01-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Just because you are quick doesn't mean you can take someone down at all. You have to know how to wrestle...

No need for being condescending, Calvan. I am not a ignorant twit who thinks too highly of himself. I was simply implying that I may have something of an advantage since I am fast.

Jody Poff
01-04-2007, 11:42 AM
I agree being quick will help u, but technique in wrestling is important.Your a smart kid just get on line and research wrestling,also check with colleges in your area that have wrestling alot of times they will have camps.Another good way to learn is find someone who is about your weight and is good and become friends,work with him at practice take your lumps and try to improve everyday by lasting longer,avoiding takedowns or by taking him down.As you go ask him to go over the things he just did so u can learn.Us him for knowledge.I did the same thing when i was in school and it helped me alot.Except i picked a high school senior when i was in 8th grade and he showed me alot because he said i was a hard nosed kid.He won state and wrestled in college and was an all american in college.So be tough take your lumps,"NO PAIN NO GAIN" good luck.

calvan
01-18-2007, 03:53 PM
No need for being condescending, Calvan. I am not a ignorant twit who thinks too highly of himself. I was simply implying that I may have something of an advantage since I am fast.

Sorry you just reminded me of someone who came into the wrestling room thinking he would dominate everyone because he was really strong. He was my partner and he quit 1 week later. :hump:

c3p
01-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Haha ya I know what you mean. I am not the quiting type. outnumber

bloodninja
01-22-2007, 12:54 AM
Did you find anything yet?

It doesn't matter if the coach sucks, you'll learn from the other wrestlers. I can't imagine the coach really just sits there and doesn't work on any techniques. The kids would go out and get hammered by other schools at meets all the time, and the coach wouldn't have a job long.

c3p
01-22-2007, 04:40 PM
Let's just say that wrestling isn't the biggest sport at my high school, so I don't think the principle cares whether we win or not. The teachers have contracts they can't necessarily fire him right then and there.

Right now I am trying to learn more about wrestling on the Internet and still focus on my training and diet.

Hazerboy
02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
In my opinion, wrestling is one of those things you can't learn by *reading a book* or something on the internet. You have to have someone sit down and show you - then drill it, over and over and over. Oh, you might get a general idea of the move by reading something, but its really the subtleties that make the difference between taking someone down and getting owned.

Join a team, go to some camps, find a friend, partner, etc. You might consider getting a video or two, but really, knowing a lot of moves isn't going to help you. If you're really, really good at two or three moves then you'll be effective. This isn't something you're going to be able to pickup on your own.

Its a great sport, I wrestled for four years - but I'll tell you right now, its not like tennis or golf or bowling where you can just play every once and awhile and be competitive.

c3p
02-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Hey thanks for the great post!

I finally found out that a friend of mine is going to be a wrestler too, so we will see how it goes.

IYO, is it too late to start learning to wrestling junior year?

calvan
03-02-2007, 08:52 AM
I just started submission grappling in January and WoW it is a lot more fun and dangerous that regular wrestling! I just have to get used to the fact that is ok to be on my back. I have wrestled for 16 years. Coached for 3 of those 16.

Ditto
03-02-2007, 08:54 AM
I was on the team, nothing beats experience, just try for the team or wrestle one of ur friends and practice stuff with him.

schmitty199
03-07-2007, 06:14 PM

Well no but one thing you should definetly work on is your grip. Strong hands can be very important in wrestling.

dabaugh
03-08-2007, 07:49 PM
i do bjj, and quite frankly, i can scare teh hell out of those wrestling kids with a triangle, arm bar, or an anaconda, for instance. Someone earlier said they know of school in houston, which i dont doubt.....go check one out buddie.:hello:

calvan
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
i do bjj, and quite frankly, i can scare teh hell out of those wrestling kids with a triangle, arm bar, or an anaconda, for instance. Someone earlier said they know of school in houston, which i dont doubt.....go check one out buddie.:hello:

If you can get an anaconda on a wrestler then he sucks. "wrestling kids"? stop being cocky.

dabaugh
03-09-2007, 12:44 PM
If you can get an anaconda on a wrestler then he sucks. "wrestling kids"? stop being cocky.

ok my bad calvan, but its still true.