PDA

View Full Version : opinions on education...

wnt2gitswoll
12-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Hey guys I'm sure some of you have reached the point where you ask yourselves 'what the **** am i gonna do with my life?'...im 20 now and i been outta high school for a year and a half and im wanting to go to college for like a 2 year course. I wanted to see if you guys know of any courses that would prolly be fun or if I wanna resort to being a physical trainer as an outlet what would i have to do?...I'd appreciate the feedback and the help.

beatlesfreak
12-27-2006, 04:42 PM
Well, if you're interested in something like that, [and I think it is commendable and a sign of maturity that you are trying to make serious plans] why not consider having Uncle Sam help pay for it? Check with your local Air Force recruiter or online and see what's available. they have hundreds of education/vocational programs that they'll pay for and that are instantly transferable into the civilian workplace. Everything from Vet Tech to Computer Tech to Paralegal to Firefighter.

The possibilities are really only limited by your interests.

Just a thought...

Good luck.

Can'tstopnow
12-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Go and talk with a placement person with the school. See what they offer and what perks your ears. Go to school though, you are 20 and will be done before you know it, I am glad to see you taking the intiative.

markdk86
12-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Go to school. I'm a bio major and going to medical school in 3 more years, you can at least make me happy and go to college :P.

Beast
12-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Go to school. I'm a bio major and going to medical school in 3 more years
Wow, I've never known a college freshman who was accepted to medical school.

McIrish
12-27-2006, 06:14 PM
School +1, if for nothing else than a lifetime earning potential with an extra digit at the end. :)

markdk86
12-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Wow, I've never known a college freshman who was accepted to medical school.

... sophmore, going into fourth semester. And believe me, I will get in.

Beast
12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
I hope you do. Good luck!

markdk86
12-27-2006, 06:34 PM
Gracias. So far my EMS career is going well. Haven't seen a dead body yet though :(

WBBIRL
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Thats a question for YOU to answer, we don't know YOU well enough to make that decision and as well even if we did know you enough we shouldn't be deciding what you do with your future.

Ask yourself, what do I want to do? Think long and hard, do your thinking now when it won't cost you $5,000+ per semester... damn expensive thinking if you catch my drift.

I've been out for going on 2 years here in a few months, so im basically the same age as you are. I regret waiting, but crying over spilt milk wont fix anything... whatever you do make sure you get your but in school.

Brawl
12-27-2006, 06:46 PM
just take al your BS requirements if you can . Then when you decide what you might want to do your BS classes will be out of the way of a sort .

algebra , english etc.

Roark
12-27-2006, 06:50 PM
check out the non-destructive testing industry, specifically ultrasonics

kids getting out of 2-year programs making 30-35/hr

if you're flexible and don't mind travelling, you can make a very nice income only working 5 months a year when the plants are on outage

this is a good program, in the sticks, but a respected program

http://www.southeast.edu/NDT/ndt_welcome.html

Can'tstopnow
12-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Roark-did you go to SCC for NDT? I graduated from there in 2000 in NDT. There is a good amount of money to be made if ya don't mind being on the road. Ultrasonics and Radiography are huge in the structural field.

Roark
12-27-2006, 08:35 PM
Roark-did you go to SCC for NDT? I graduated from there in 2000 in NDT. There is a good amount of money to be made if ya don't mind being on the road. Ultrasonics and Radiography are huge in the structural field.

nah

i work in the industry though

i know they have a good program

see the students at ASNT conventions

wnt2gitswoll
12-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow...thanks guys I really appreciate the help. I guess some of us need a push through the fog in the road.

WBBIRL
12-28-2006, 12:43 AM
I've always been a guy who's wanted everyone else to lead my way through life. I'm not quite sure why, but I guess I always overthink thinks and want to make the best possible choices...

You think too long and you wind up doing nothing, you don't think enough and you wind up screwing up. Its rough deal, but in the end you either have to **** or get off the toilet.

I've tried very hard to correct that situation. Take initiative in my life and deciding what I want and then doing something to get there. Pretty much the reason I'm not in college now and I've made every excuse from my parents not takeing me to see the two colleges I'm considering or that I needed to save money (which I pretty much blew the $9,000 I made my first year out of highschool save what I paid on my car/insurance) and other lame BS.

I've decided that I'm going to go and look at the college myself, gather information about student loans and financial aid myself and do everything I can on my own to get the ball rolling and only when its necessary will I involve the parentals. I'll tell them of my intentions, if they want to help right off the bat then fine... if not I'll do it on my own.

But yea, you really have to take the initiative and do something. Life isn't a spectators sport... you snooze you lose.

anelka
12-29-2006, 07:37 PM
Definitely go to college, unless you want to stack shelves for minimum wage and live in a rundown apartment for the rest of your life.