PDA

View Full Version : bananas....

yankeekd25
12-27-2006, 06:26 PM
i never know bananas have so many carbs/calories...i ate 2 and plugged them into fitday for the first time since i just signed up and i cant believe how many carbs and cals they got.....47 g of carbs and 186 cals in 2 bananas.... which brings me to a question.. how many carbs r good to eat a day if im striving to eat about 1500-1600 cals for my cut?

Unreal
12-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Whatever is leftover after hitting your protein and fat macros you can fill with carbs.

yankeekd25
12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
is there a certain ratio or something that i should follow when figuring out these macros?

malkore
12-27-2006, 07:22 PM
there are ratios you can try to use, but everyone's unique. they are 1g protein per pound of lean mass and .4-.5g of fat per pound of lean mass. the 1g of protein/lb is a minimum amount, and is often debated. then the rest of your calories would come from carbs.

i did want to say, i think 1600-1700 cals a day for a 5'10" dude is way too low, especially since you're 17 and technically still growing (if not in height, your bones are still going to thicken up).

don't starve yourself to lose the weight, it won't stay off. it seems like you picked an arbitrary number, rather than taking 10% off your existing maintenance calories. you can't truely calculate maintenance with a formula either...you just gotta track what you eat, and whether your weight changes, and find your baseline calorie intake for your present weight.
calculations will just get you an estimate to start tracking from.

RedSpikeyThing
12-27-2006, 07:31 PM
On a side note, I would try to eat something else. Bananas are good for you, but not really filling. I think you'ld be better off with some apples, in terms of satiety.

ArchAngel777
12-27-2006, 07:35 PM
On a side note, I would try to eat something else. Bananas are good for you, but not really filling. I think you'ld be better off with some apples, in terms of satiety.

Right, due the the high ammounts of fiber in the skin.

However, you might want to stay away from fruit in general and it is primarly Fructose and my understanding is that is the least ideal sugar you want. I believe Fructose favors liver glycogen storage and then tends to store the rest of the fructose as fat. But, that is just the heresay... I don't think 50 grams of fructose per day is going to make or break anyone's diet.

RedSpikeyThing
12-27-2006, 07:46 PM
However, you might want to stay away from fruit in general and it is primarly Fructose and my understanding is that is the least ideal sugar you want. I believe Fructose favors liver glycogen storage and then tends to store the rest of the fructose as fat. But, that is just the heresay... I don't think 50 grams of fructose per day is going to make or break anyone's diet.

IMO if you are removing fruit from your diet, your diet is bad.

ArchAngel777
12-27-2006, 08:08 PM
IMO if you are removing fruit from your diet, your diet is bad.

I suppose, but I think vegetables are more healthy overall and would chose them over fruit. At any rate, I know almost all body builders stay away from fruit on their cut.

Jeffreyk
12-28-2006, 05:54 AM
I stay away from fructose either way....much better carbs out there, more satisfying, much less sugar...

Jeffreyk
12-28-2006, 05:58 AM
As indicated from the metabolism discussion above, fructose is not a direct energy source for muscles or the brain. You do not become stronger and smarter by eating fructose.

And there’s another problem: digestion. When studied, a large proportion of human subjects were unable to completely absorb quantities of fructose ranging from 20 to 50 grams. (8)

Additionally, fructose absorption is limited in nearly 60% of normal adults. (9) Excessive (such as 50 grams) consumption can lead to intestinal distress, which is an indicator of malabsorption.

It is very easy for the liver to store fructose as fat.

Fructose is metabolized differently from glucose. For one, fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion. Furthermore, because hepatic metabolism of fructose favours de novo lipogenesis, once liver glycogen is full, (10) any excess fructose molecules have to go somewhere. They can't go to muscle cells. They are processed by the liver and stored as fat. Even while hypocaloric, excess consumption of fructose will be converted to fatty acids.

Fructose preferentially refills liver glycogen, so at the very least, timing becomes an issue: post-workout this is undesirable, as you not only want to be refilling muscle glycogen depleted during the workout, but also stimulating the cortisol-blocking hormone insulin. For either of these reasons, fructose fails as the right sugar to consume post-workout.

Finally, "fructose does not enhance leptin production. Because insulin and leptin act as key afferent signals in the regulation of food intake and body weight, this suggests that dietary fructose may contribute to increased energy intake and weight gain" (11) in non-calorie-controlled diets – which implies it might not be particularly helpful in inducing satiety on a cut.

How much fructose is too much? The adult liver can hold about 100g of glycogen (12) (less for smaller adults). Keep in mind, liver glycogen is replenished from glucose as well as fructose, but if you're not drinking juice or pop, eating loads of sucrose-sweetened foods, or living on an all-fruit diet, you’re not likely to run into problems.

yankeekd25
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM
i really don't know what my maintence cals are... this is the first time ive ever really counted cals so i jjust chose a number. what do u recommened?

RedSpikeyThing
12-28-2006, 11:38 AM
what do u recommened?

You don't get your maintenance as a recommendation. You need to figure it out yourself. Track what you eat normally for a fe days with no changes to your diet. Average it out and that's your maintenance.

MagnaSephiroth
12-28-2006, 02:53 PM
Tangerines are good and have very little kcals. They are small but very satifying.

SweetnLO
12-28-2006, 03:35 PM
i never know bananas have so many carbs/calories...i ate 2 and plugged them into fitday for the first time since i just signed up and i cant believe how many carbs and cals they got.....47 g of carbs and 186 cals in 2 bananas.... which brings me to a question.. how many carbs r good to eat a day if im striving to eat about 1500-1600 cals for my cut?

That's what I eat and I'm 5ft and 110 lbs! Too low!!