PDA

View Full Version : Cheap thick bars?

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 10:06 AM
The only place i found that sells cheap thick dumbbells is fat bastard but he doesnt accept debit, any other places? ironmind is expensive as hell!

want to pick some of these up for upper body and grip stuff

Chubrock
12-28-2006, 10:37 AM
Duct tape covered with Athletic Tape.

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 11:46 AM
Duct tape covered with Athletic Tape.

i dont think a commercial gym would be happy with that, lol

Sensei
12-28-2006, 12:25 PM
Thick steel pipe would work and probably be as strong as you need - I've talked to people on the net that have used it.... You could buy two sets of bulldog collars (one pr. for the inside of the weights, another pr. for the outside). I might just go check this out myself...

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 12:45 PM
sensei this would work but it would need to be 2+ diameter in the middle and 1 1/6 on the ends for the plates no?

Bob
12-28-2006, 01:03 PM
Stumpster... you don't need fat DBs... these are better:
http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/sdetail/35364
You can attach plates to the bottom or side bars...
PLUS, there is a hole in the bottom bar to connect it to a pulley machine...
Awesome.. I've had these for 3 weeks now.. and absolutely love them..

Plus, your gym won't mind you using them.. they look just like other bar attachments..

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 01:04 PM
hmm bear these look awkward, wouldnt it be all off balanced with plates?

ericg
12-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Doesnt NYbarbells.com have them? I thought I remember Justin F picking up a set from them.

I didnt check out all of them but THIS (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/bars&handles.html) will point you in the right direction

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 02:28 PM
thanks but they only have a thick barbell im lookin for dumbbells cant lug around a barbell to the gym lol i wish i could though

ericg
12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
They are not far off from 2" at 1 7/8". What is the standard DB at?

waynedang
12-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Atomic athletic might.

I would go with the Fatbastard stuff if you can. I know John takes a check.

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 05:46 PM
They are not far off from 2" at 1 7/8". What is the standard DB at?

im looking for a 2 1/2

wayne im gonna have to get unlazy and write a check then lol

waynedang
12-28-2006, 06:28 PM
im looking for a 2 1/2

wayne im gonna have to get unlazy and write a check then lol

Good call!! The FBBC guys are a hell of a bunch of guys! They helped me out with the strongman comp I ran last year.

I think after the first of the year the Lock up crew is headed up to train with them ( after Bill Carpenters meet). Also the Mag John puts out is cool as hell

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 06:41 PM
cool man, i bet they are strong as hell

Sensei
12-28-2006, 07:43 PM
sensei this would work but it would need to be 2+ diameter in the middle and 1 1/6 on the ends for the plates no?

No. The diameter of the hole on plates is a shade over 2". If you bought some steel pipe that has an outside diameter of 2", you would be able to slide plates on them (diameter of piping measure on the inside).

I think you should maybe reconsider 2.5" diameter - I don't know how big your hands are, but that's pretty damn thick.

Stumprrp
12-28-2006, 08:44 PM
sensei i know, my hands are 7.5 middle to end of hand, i know its big but it will get me strong as hell regardless

Detard
12-28-2006, 11:28 PM
i really dont get what all the fuss is about thick handles.... ive used 2inch and 1 inch handles and they both feel pretty much the same.:scratch:

Sensei
12-28-2006, 11:40 PM
i really dont get what all the fuss is about thick handles.... ive used 2inch and 1 inch handles and they both feel pretty much the same.:scratch:

??? Most barbells are about 1.25" or so in diameter - the sleeves (the part where the plates go on) are about 2". BIG difference.

Stump,
Up to you I guess, but just keep in mind that if you go w. the 2.5" rather than the 2", you probably won't ever be able to use much in the way of weight and it will really limit the exercises you can do. You're strong so maybe it will be different for you, but I can't imagine doing, for example, exercises like snatches with a 2.5" diameter bar. Anything much over 70lbs on my 2" DBs is going to coming out of my hands pretty quickly.

Guido
12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Good call!! The FBBC guys are a hell of a bunch of guys! They helped me out with the strongman comp I ran last year.

I think after the first of the year the Lock up crew is headed up to train with them ( after Bill Carpenters meet). Also the Mag John puts out is cool as hellIndeed. Great group of guys. They are based only 15 minutes from where I live and I plan on going to train with them on strongman stuff sometime. Strong! Magazine that John puts out is a great mag.

Bob
12-29-2006, 10:11 AM
hmm bear these look awkward, wouldnt it be all off balanced with plates?
Is your Kettlebell balanced?
If my wife let me buy whatever I wanted.. sure, I would buy the 2, 2.5 and 3 inch Fat Bastards. And then buy their Fat bar cable attachments. etc.. etc.. and I would have spent >$500 for some quality bars..

But I had to go for something almost as quality, but more universal.. and a little out of balance like a KB. In fact, I can actually use it like an adjustable thick handle KB too.

For <$50

magicman531
12-29-2006, 11:10 AM

Can you lift the same amount of weight on both sized handles?

Stumprrp
12-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Bear i will check them out

Sensei ill think about it

dhartnet
01-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I went to Home Depot, and bought some of that 2" thick black steel plumbing pipe, they will cut it to length for you there, or you can buy one of those hand held pipe cutters you tighten as you revolve it around the pipe. I've made full length (approx 6') bars, 5' bars for curls, and also dumbbell bars. Standard olympic collars fit that have a screw to tighten them. The spring action collars are a hair too big to work, but a couple wraps of hockey tape on the bar fixes that problem as well..

Dave