PDA

View Full Version : Conflicting info about Muscle Definition (also need opinions if goals are reachable)

spectralshadow
12-28-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't have camera access right now, but I was wondering if I could post up some pics if anyone would have an idea if I could reach these goals by summer (or sooner). 3rd Paragraph is the question.

Right now I'm sittin' at about 160-162 with maybe 20-25% BF (hoping someone could give me an estimate with pics), and by summer I want to be at about the same weight, but lose the bodyfat. I want the kind of "not 100% fat, not 100% muscle, but right in the middle" kind of body (I know toned isn't the right word, heh). After the summer I'll see where I'm at, but in the end I'll probably just maintain what I get in summer.

Right now I have no diet whatsoever, mostly I've just been eating (not very smart, but I've been maintaining at 160 for over a month with no diet) and that's all. Like, right now, I'll eat maybe 3 packets of Ramen Noodles, a fruit, and thats it for the day. I can't take protein shakes (my father and I had an argument about it when I first wanted to take shakes; his EMT friend said you'll get kidney stones without a lot of water and he wouldn't let me do it). I haven't come up with a diet right yet (cutting diet I suppose; I'll probably just keep the cals down to about 1500. I think I get maybe 3/4 that now anyways), but I'll probably have to either cook a lot of protein filled foods or not get enough proteins.

Now for the conflicting info... I read that to lose bodyfat you need to do low intensity training (like jogging or treadmill stuff), but other sources say that high intensity is better (such as HIIT). I'm wondering what I should do to maximize fat loss.

As of now, I will do HIIT every other day (around 10 minutes per session on Mon, Wed, and Fri. with 30 sec. runs and 20 sec. jogs), and do lifting on opposite days (Tues, Thurs, and Sat. doing chest+back/arms+forearms/legs respectively). Should I change this up any or keep doing what I'm doing?

Built
12-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Okay, well, I've got an article coming up in a few days that will clear up the HIIT thing for you.

You don't actually need to do ANY cardio to drop fat. That part is caloric deficit and heavy lifting. But some well-placed and varied cardio can help you get the job done.

Track your diet on www.fitday.com (http://www.fitday.com) for a week. Read the diet link in my sig.