PDA

View Full Version : Speed of muscle loss?

Y0yo
12-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Is this something else that is determined by genetics? Is there an average? If the person WAS lifting hard, eating well, and living the BB lifestyle but then ran into some trouble and had to take time off from the gym and wasn't dieting properly (Low calories, low protein) How fast could one assume the person would lose over the course of a month? I ask because I've got troubles and haven't been to the gym in 2 weeks, and won't see the gym at least for another 2. On top of that I've just not got the energy to track macros or calories. So...I'm just wondering what I can look forward to as far as muscle loss over the course of a month?

Questor
12-29-2006, 10:56 AM
If watching CSI or playing WoW:

People with blond hair loose 8 oz of lbm / week
People with red hair loose 10 oz of lbm / week
People with brown hair loose 3.4 oz of lbm / week
People with black hair loose 7.55 oz of lbm / week

:indian:

ArchAngel777
12-29-2006, 11:01 AM

:indian:

They "loose" it? Deeder is going to come in here and bitch slap you...

teaturtle
12-29-2006, 11:24 AM
WOAH 10 oz is a lot.. i dont believe it x(

Y0yo
12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Any serious answers? Are there just too many factors to be able to make even a guesstimate?

galileo
12-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Any serious answers? Are there just too many factors to be able to make even a guesstimate?

It is so complicated that if I told you, your head would explode. No, seriously.

Think about it this way - your body metabolizes food much differently than mine and the guy/girl after me.

I've not lifted seriously in a long time and after starting back up, I've found through bodyfat/weight measurements that I didn't really lose anything, because I always ate maintenance or better. A recent study shows that on average, 1lb of muscle takes 6 calories per day to maintain(1). That doesn't mean that if you don't hit maintenance and you're 6 calories shy (untrained), you'll lose a pound of muscle. That just says that on average, your body expends 6 calories for each pound of real muscle (not LBM, muscle) per day.

So, some people might have higher energy requirements for muscle (faster metabolisms) or lower (me, Borris). So make sure you're getting enough calories and you'll be OK. You may gain some fat, but it's easier to lose fat than gain muscle, in my experience.

1. 1. McClave SA, Snider HL. Dissecting the energy needs of the body. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2001 Mar;4(2):143-7.

Slim Schaedle
12-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Gentics

I lost everything I ever gained in high school (20 lbs) in a matter of 6 weeks.

RedSpikeyThing
12-29-2006, 02:25 PM
It depends how low your calories are. The good news is that you probably aren't exactly active this time of year, so you don't have to worry about that.

I know it's obvious but you should guesstimate how much you're eating and try to eat close to your maintenance level.

Guido
12-29-2006, 02:49 PM

:indian:This is an absolutely true study, verified by many experts, such as me, through infallible methods, i.e. anecdotal evidence and indirect observation. Double the loss numbers if coke or weed are involved.

Y0yo
12-29-2006, 08:45 PM
It is so complicated that if I told you, your head would explode. No, seriously.

Think about it this way - your body metabolizes food much differently than mine and the guy/girl after me.

I've not lifted seriously in a long time and after starting back up, I've found through bodyfat/weight measurements that I didn't really lose anything, because I always ate maintenance or better. A recent study shows that on average, 1lb of muscle takes 6 calories per day to maintain(1). That doesn't mean that if you don't hit maintenance and you're 6 calories shy (untrained), you'll lose a pound of muscle. That just says that on average, your body expends 6 calories for each pound of real muscle (not LBM, muscle) per day.

So, some people might have higher energy requirements for muscle (faster metabolisms) or lower (me, Borris). So make sure you're getting enough calories and you'll be OK. You may gain some fat, but it's easier to lose fat than gain muscle, in my experience.

1. 1. McClave SA, Snider HL. Dissecting the energy needs of the body. Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2001 Mar;4(2):143-7.

OK...I guess I'll be forcing down a few high calorie shakes...

Hopefully I'll get my apetite and energy back in the New Year.