PDA

View Full Version : Crossfit routine

accuFLEX
12-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I did crossfit for the first time today. Wooped my ass! haha

I'm going to give crossfit a try for a month (January) while on a cut and see if I can lean down. (Note: I lift mainly for vanity and have no desire to become "huge", athletic and lean is what I aim for, strength is a distant second)

I like to exercise 6 times a week. And no, for me thats not over training. I'm looking for about 10-12 "days" from crossfit. I haven't done and oly lifts and don't feel like starting. My gym is pretty basic. I don't have any gymnastic equipment.

I like days which take a longer time (25+ min) or are like "Complete as many rounds in 20min (or more)"

I've been searching through crossfit and have come up with these...

For time:
65 pound Thrusters, 50 reps
50 Pull-ups
65 pound Thrusters, 30 reps
30 Pull-ups
65 pound Thrusters, 20 reps
20 Pull-ups

"Cindy"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

note: I cant seem to reach any archives....

accuFLEX
12-30-2006, 07:06 PM
Just another thought, my routine is really simple now...its
2 days of cardio, chest, back, legs, abs/shoulders (not in that order)

Would it be a good idea to chop the 2 cardio days (running and biking) and add two crossfit days that incorporate a form of cardio (sprinting, rowing etc)

clawhammer_33
12-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Crossfit kicks ass.

1. Oly lifts are fun, and a big part of crossfit

2. Try to do something different every time

3. I have a big list of crossfit w/o that i can email you

4. Remember to scale, you can quickly and easily overtrain

5. a month isn't really enough to test crossfit as a routine

Have fun!

Anthony
12-30-2006, 07:09 PM
I think you're missing the point of what Crossfit is.

markdk86
12-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Just to the WOD

Elbutcho
01-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Crossfit kicks ass.

1. Oly lifts are fun, and a big part of crossfit

2. Try to do something different every time

3. I have a big list of crossfit w/o that i can email you

4. Remember to scale, you can quickly and easily overtrain

5. a month isn't really enough to test crossfit as a routine

Have fun!

Claw I'd like to see the list of crossfit w/o's if you don't mind!!!

crazedwombat
01-17-2007, 12:04 PM
^same

ericg
01-17-2007, 12:16 PM
Just go to the site, WOD are listed right there. There is a pulldown list of archived WOD listed by month going back to 2003.

KeMiKaL
01-17-2007, 09:14 PM
yeah i did my first one last week...it was rounds in 20 min. of 12-rep 65 lb thrusters, and 10-rep chinups.

i ended up doing the CFWU (5 reps of everything), and then scaled down the WOD to 10-rep 65lb thrusters, and 6-rep chinups. Had to start doing subsets or whatever it's called during the 3rd round, and completed 7 in exactly 20 minutes.

I layed on the ground for a minute or so, then I tried to do a bit of jogging for cool-down, and my quads immediately seized up haha. It was great.

Also I would go along with the others in saying that you should just do the WOD as prescribed.....it's all about the intensity, not how long you're spending doing the workout. Honestly, that 20 min workout I did was much tougher on me than any sort of steady-state cardio I've done before (which isn't much hehe)

KoSh
03-27-2007, 01:03 PM
If I do a 3 day ME routine MWF, would it be beneficial to do crossfit on Sat/Sun?

I don't think there would be any harm in it, but I'm more knowledgable when it comes to PL stuff than I am with crossfit, so I was hoping someone in the know could help me out a little bit.

ericg
03-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Kosh - Check out Anthonys journal he is incorporates crossfit principals into a strength routine. I think its something like:

Day 1: MetCon (crossfit WOD or other)
Day 2: 1/2 Metcon; 1/2 strength (short WOD from crossfit and focus on one major lift)
Day 3: strength
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: repeat

If you go to http://www.crossfit.com/ you can get a lot of info from there.

Also - You could just add in some strongman type metcon work. Use some sandbags, sled drags, sledge hammer strikes, sprints, plyometrics, etc.

KoSh
03-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Sweet. Yeah, I just checked out www.crossfit.com.

Great info.

I'd like to do a little crossfit on the weekend days. My girlfriend wants me to start heading to the gym with her and we can't go during the week, but I've been having problems wanting to go on Saturday/Sunday fearing it could ruin my weekday workouts. But crossfit seems to be a GREAT alternative and something for me to do while she's doing her cardio. Maybe just a WOD for both Saturday/Sunday coupled with the crossfit warmup?

I realize it wouldn't be a "true" crossfit "routine" (the word only being used because I don't know what else to refer to it as, seeing how there is no "routine" when doing crossfit). She just wants to do 20-30 minutes of cardio on the weekend days, so I think the time frame after she warms up and performs her cardio would fit perfect with one another.

But I don't want to do that if I'm doing it incorrectly.

Anthony
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
There are tons of ways to incorporate some GPP into your powerlifting. You could do a saturday session, you could replace your DE work, you could do a short metcon after your lifting, etc. The key is to structure it in a way where you're not hurting your priority. I.e., If strength is priority, don't do an intense metcon the night before!

KoSh
03-27-2007, 01:52 PM
So in other words, if my set program is to deadlift on a Monday, don't do a WOD on deadlifting the day before...

Take one of the other WODs and throw it in there?

Does that make sense? I think I'm beginning to understand the principles a bit more clearly.

I guess if I consider powerlifting my sport, I should never really do a squat, bench or deadlift WOD then? Seeing how the idea is to do non-sport specific movements when training crossfit style...

ericg
03-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Since you are doing strength stuff during the week I would stick with the metcon type stuff during the weekend. So if the WOD calls for 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 deadlifts or front squats, like todays WOD, I would just pick one of the previous WODs that was geared more towards conditioning. Most of the WODs with the girls names (see the FAQ section on the CF site) fit that bill. So try to stick with something that isnt max effort as far as weight is concerned and geared more towards body weight movements, plyos, pushups, "free" squats, pullups, light compound movements, situps, back extensions, sprints, and on and on.

Seems like your goal is to continue to get stronger in the big three but add some conditioning during the weekend when the GF is in the gym? So stick to conditioning type work. I would think adding in this high intensity work will stall your progress for a few weeks since it may shock your system a bit. In the long run it will be a great addition since it will improve your work capacity.

KoSh
03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Yeah, I figured that as well. My lifts may not go up in the next few weeks, but that's fine with me if it means becoming more overall fit. I'm weighing 194 with around 12% bf (estimate) and I'm a pretty athletic guy. But I don't want to give up strength training, but at the same time, crossfit would benefit me tenfold when it comes to overall health and fitness.

Thanks for the help guys. Really is appreciated.

Clifford Gillmore
03-27-2007, 08:35 PM
There are tons of ways to incorporate some GPP into your powerlifting. You could do a saturday session, you could replace your DE work, you could do a short metcon after your lifting, etc. The key is to structure it in a way where you're not hurting your priority. I.e., If strength is priority, don't do an intense metcon the night before!

Bah, GPP should not replace DE. Myself, I'd go along the lines of plyometric work and sled dragging on one day off, and tire flips/rowing/shuttle runs/chins and explosive band work on another day off. Hell, at a point your GPP level can be high enough to do one of those workouts before a ME day :)

KoSh
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Ok, Ok, I'm back...

I've decided I want to take some elements of crossfit and put it into my split...

Here's an example:

Monday:
Dynamic Day:
Box Squats 3x8
Bench Press 3x8
Good Mornings 3x8

Some Assistor work

Wednesday:
BB Rows 5x5
Seated Rows 3x8
Bicep Curls 2x12
DB Skull Crushers 2x12

Crossfit type work:
10 pullups
10 burpees
10 sit ups

3 sets for time

Friday:
Squats: 5x5
Bench: 5x5
Deadlift: 5x3

Some assistor work

Saturday/Sunday: Crossfit

Keep in mind this isn't my exact routine, I'm toying with a few ideas in my head right now. Basically what I'm trying to get at is that on M/F I have pure PL days. On W I have a hybrid PL/CF day. On Sat/Sun Pure CF days. Does this split look okay? Only thing I'm even remotely worried about is overtraining, but I don't think I'm doing too much volume here...

ericg
03-29-2007, 05:48 AM
I dont think it looks all that bad. Do you plan on switching up the CF type stuff on Wednesday or are you going to do the same thing every week? I say give it a month as see how you respond.

KoSh
03-29-2007, 09:00 AM
I don't know if I plan on switching it up yet. I think I'll adjust the values... Maybe add 1 or 2 reps each week. And like you said, after a month see how I feel. Saturday/Sunday I'll probably do a similar workout as I did on Wednesday. But obviously using different variations and combinations of exercises.

ericg
03-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Sounds good man. Just remember that part of the CF principle is to vary the movements and what not so try not to get to attached to certain things!!

KoSh
03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm in the process of putting together a list of the non-weight bearing exercises to mix and match on the different days I do crossfit. I mean, low weight exercises will probably be pooled in there as well, but I want to avoid the actually lifting high weight aspect as I'm still doing that during the week...