PDA

View Full Version : New Years Eve Competition vid

deeder
01-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey guys,

Here's a compilation of my lifts that Ruffian put together! Enjoy!

Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f2hkVPynE0)

BTW, All Kristen's kilo to pound conversions were done approximately and she screwed me out of a pound on a few lifts :p

cphafner
01-01-2007, 01:11 PM
links not working

Adam
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
The video you have requested is not available.

Unholy
01-01-2007, 01:14 PM
=(

no go

deeder
01-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys we just put the video up.. Could take a few mins.

McVein
01-01-2007, 02:19 PM
working now

Sick lifting, unlucky on the misses mate

WBBIRL
01-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Seems like your leaning too far forward on the squats, but the video resolution does distort things a bit I guess.

Solid lifts man, perhaps your benching a bit too wide?

Jordanbcool
01-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Good job deeder. Nice strength.

You should've screamed though...haha.....it would've made the lifts so much badder....Good job on the squats, deads and bench....perfect form and some big lifts.

Jordanbcool
01-01-2007, 02:40 PM
Seems like your leaning too far forward on the squats, but the video resolution does distort things a bit I guess.

Solid lifts man, perhaps your benching a bit too wide?

Yea I've been debating on this myself....is that the width you train at? I usually train with my hands a little closer together but I dunno if thats the best way or not.....

Stumprrp
01-01-2007, 03:12 PM
awesome video deeder, SOLID on everything!

is that bench on the rings you seem wider?

Detard
01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
nice lifting man!

Unholy
01-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Very nice lifting dude.

KevinStarke
01-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Strong lifting man. Looks like your dragging the bar back a little quick off your chest, try and press it up a ways first and then drag it back.

Sensei
01-01-2007, 04:11 PM
Great job! Develop even a little arch (edit: on your bench) and you'll add 10-20lbs!

HeavyBomber
01-01-2007, 07:01 PM
That was cool. Nice job.

bill
01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Good job, like Sensei said work some tech on the bench and you should add pds easy

jAy_Dub
01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Lookin good dude. Nice solid form!

Bohizzle
01-01-2007, 08:02 PM
awesome stuff! just work on ur bench and u'll be flyin!

TwiloMike
01-01-2007, 08:45 PM
Very nice work.

MrWebb78
01-01-2007, 09:10 PM
seems awfully wide grip on bench. good quality lifting though

deeder
01-01-2007, 11:40 PM
McVein, Detard, HolyWars, HeavyBomber, bill, jay, Bohizzle, TwiloMike, - Thanks bro!

WBBIRL - Yeah it isn't that great of quality video. When Kristen first put the video together it was crystal clear quality but it came to about 180Mb. We found a program to compress it and ended up shrinking it down to 7Mb and the quality you see now... I could try to get a better quality vid up so you can see more.

I bench with my index fingers on the rings. I find it comfortable. I'm also told it's best because you reduce the ROM significantly. Once I get a bench shirt I'll be good to go for a lot more I bet! I might try a slightly narrower grip for the time being to see if I can get a little more weigth out of it.

Jordan - Thanks, and yes that's how I usually bench. The screaming just isn't me.. I'd rather put that energy into the lift.

Stump - Yup, index fingers on the rings. And thanks!

Kevin - I watched the video after I saw your comment and you're absolutely right... I'll be sure to watch my technique from now on.

Sensei - I do arch my back. You can't see it very well in this video... I'm also not very flexible :p Any advice for stretching techniques to help develop a bigger arch?

MrWebb - see above and Thanks!

01-01-2007, 11:52 PM
nice work - i thought you were gonna get the last attempt on deads- for me if i get it off the ground im good to go

to develop a better arch- streach

do bridges/back bends
-if you cant do those lay on the floor face down and push your chest up like puch up while leaving your hips on the ground (make sense?)

Ruffian
01-02-2007, 12:04 AM
HEy you guys... Since Im too lazy to start yet another thread Ill post my vid in here... Besides, mines not as interesting with the teensy tiny weight and the bp only and all ;)

Click Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yklsmeYb-AQ)

For some reason the audio is all out of sync on my vid. The Start/Press/Rack comments are way out of wack from where they should be-Oh well. Im sure it has something to do with the compression and ****. Anyway... Deeder kicked some ass at that comp-especially considering he had had a nasty cold for about a week prior to the competition. He was pretty down and out sick for quite a few days, so to get a PR in anything -especially a 20 lb one- kicks some pretty hardcore ass.

[edit: Ill put up a screenshot when I figure out how to do it. Deeder does have an arch- the same as most powerlifters- its just the ****ty quality because of the compression of that vid that made it look like he was flat. I should be able to get one up tomorrow.]

Jordanbcool
01-02-2007, 12:25 AM
The first two benches looked like a warmup for you...

I don't like powerlifting comps for the most part. You should be able to lift off and start at your own pace. Like, I would take a few seconds huffing and getting myself ready and what not.

Anyways, good job. It doesn't matter that you're doing "small" weight. You're a girl, it would be gross if you could out lift deeder and it would probably make half the board members kill themselves :)

EDIT: Speaking of deeder....he looks like a totally different person with the shaved head and the added muscle. Alot different from a year or so ago.

deeder
01-02-2007, 01:20 AM
Her second lift was the most she's done in the gym. Like you said she put it up really easy so I bumped the weight up a fair amount. Apparently just a wee bit too much!

I'm not sure if your comment about how I look different is a good thing or not? :windup:

stepto180
01-02-2007, 01:32 AM
awesome videos guys...
deeder --it does look like you are trying to arch but its easier to get into a better arch if you get onto the bench from behind (like under) the bar and place you feet closer to your head I dont know if that makes sense but it makes it easier to force more of an arch

ruffian---those first 2 looked really simple ....its even looked like the last one you could have gotten it if they didnt praticlally rip it out of your hands when you hit a sticking point

deeder
01-02-2007, 01:41 AM
awesome videos guys...
deeder --it does look like you are trying to arch but its easier to get into a better arch if you get onto the bench from behind (like under) the bar and place you feet closer to your head I dont know if that makes sense but it makes it easier to force more of an arch

ruffian---those first 2 looked really simple ....its even looked like the last one you could have gotten it if they didnt praticlally rip it out of your hands when you hit a sticking point

I can't say I've ever seen anyone at a powerlifting competition get onto the bench from behind. I can't imagine I'd find that very easy anyway :p

To your comment about Kristen's last attempt: There had been a pretty close call where another girl almost dropped 70kg or so on her neck.. The spotters were pretty jumpy after that. It had started to go down a little so it would not have been a good lift anyway...

stepto180
01-02-2007, 02:15 PM
lol well it might sound odd but i swear its easier well then again i am preety flexible

I can see why they were quick about it then....

Relentless
01-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I will second stepto180's comments about stretching to get flexibility for your back to improve your arch

I have been doing yoga recently and found that it has helped me tremendously in terms of both core strength as well as flexibility. The "cobra" pose is essentially what she is describing (http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/thecobra.asp)

Nice lifts BTW.

Ruffian
01-03-2007, 02:38 PM
The first two benches looked like a warmup for you...

I don't like powerlifting comps for the most part. You should be able to lift off and start at your own pace. Like, I would take a few seconds huffing and getting myself ready and what not.

Anyways, good job. It doesn't matter that you're doing "small" weight. You're a girl, it would be gross if you could out lift deeder and it would probably make half the board members kill themselves :)

EDIT: Speaking of deeder....he looks like a totally different person with the shaved head and the added muscle. Alot different from a year or so ago.

Jordan in powerlifting you have 90 seconds to pick up the bar. After they say you can start you then have another minute to prepare if you wanna take it... Its really not a huge deal, a minute and a half is actually a very long time!!! Those first two felt pretyt light, but the addition of 20 lbs was a little much LOL.

Her second lift was the most she's done in the gym. Like you said she put it up really easy so I bumped the weight up a fair amount. Apparently just a wee bit too much!

I'm not sure if your comment about how I look different is a good thing or not? :windup:
- Apparently :P

awesome videos guys...
- YEah, as soon as the bar starts to move downwards hte lift is invalid anyway, since it had already started moving down it made no difference at all if they ripped it off my chest. I just dont have the tricep strength yet. *sigh*

HILL
01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
deeder good lifts mate very impressiver congrats on the comp. How old are you again???

i agree your grip does look very wide in my opinion but you are proberly right about the rom tho so.

Ruffian good lifts i think you should get that last weight soon if you keep working for it.

Fuzzy
01-06-2007, 05:46 AM
thats a wide ass bench grip.

great stuff man!!!

EDIT: and lady!! ruff. the first two looke so incredibly easy, bump it up power girl!

Ruffian
01-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Hill, Fuzzy- Thats what Im working on right now, check out my journal. My latest routine is bench specific!!! I bp three days a week, plus ill be doing a GPP once a week and legs thrown in. Its extremely gruelling though! But, if all works well, I should have trained myself up to a provincial record by the time nationals comes around!!! Then only another 26 Kg before I break a national record LOL.... That ones a ways away, but eh; doesnt hurt to try right?

Sensei
01-06-2007, 11:04 PM
Sensei - I do arch my back. You can't see it very well in this video... I'm also not very flexible :p Any advice for stretching techniques to help develop a bigger arch?
Bridges and PVC... Really try to force your shoulders down to your feet. Take your time developing the arch!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/68048ffd.jpg

deeder
01-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Bridges and PVC... Really try to force your shoulders down to your feet. Take your time developing the arch!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/68048ffd.jpg

It doesn't even look like his butt is on the bench.. I thought I remembered you posting something similar...

Would the idea be to start with something that you can't arch over properly and use it to stretch with until you can arch over it?

deeder
01-07-2007, 12:25 AM
To everyone who said my grip may be too wide:

I started using that wide grip after training a couple of times with a local powerlifter. He said it was the best way to bench because it would significantly shorten the ROM. That seemed to make sense so I never questionned it.

Anyway, I decided to switch it up just to try it out... I usually bench with my index fingers on the rings and I benched with my pinkies on the rings last week. Not a huge change, but it was definately enough! I was doing high rep stuff so I can't really comment on strength, but I definately felt it in my chest more than I ever have in my life.

Fuzzy
01-07-2007, 01:55 AM
Hmmm... okay, So the guy told you it would shorten the ROM, makes sense.

But heres a thought, (THIS IS RANDOM THOUGHTS, BEAR WITH ME)

think of your arms as a lever, now the closer the load is to the pivot (your shoulder) the easier its gonna be to lift the load (wich remember is on your hands) SO by moving your hands closer, you are shortening the length the length of the lever itself.

So by going super wide youve made it much harder, ad I think it obvious that the closer grip is better because from a purely mechanical leverage point, youve made it easier

Ok, Ive confused the heck out of myself, Ill shut up now.

Either way, awesome stuff the both of you.

sharkall2003
01-07-2007, 07:15 AM
Hmmm... okay, So the guy told you it would shorten the ROM, makes sense.

But heres a thought, (THIS IS RANDOM THOUGHTS, BEAR WITH ME)

think of your arms as a lever, now the closer the load is to the pivot (your shoulder) the easier its gonna be to lift the load (wich remember is on your hands) SO by moving your hands closer, you are shortening the length the length of the lever itself.

So by going super wide youve made it much harder, ad I think it obvious that the closer grip is better because from a purely mechanical leverage point, youve made it easier

Ok, Ive confused the heck out of myself, Ill shut up now.

Either way, awesome stuff the both of you.

Good reasoning now go do a narrow grip bench press and tell me how well that goes. You want to incorporate as much of all the muscles in a bench as possible so you can have a greater amount of force exerted on the bar. Your arms can only do so much work (please take work in the physics sense now that you are incorporating that).

Fuzzy
01-07-2007, 07:31 AM
Ok, lets throw some more crap on the mix.

Why is the CGBP so much more tricep targetive?

Because once the point of load is on the inside of the pivot, you basically deactivate a major force applier... the chest muscle.

in a close grip, the pivot becomes the elbow not the shoulder. thus the main force applier becomes the tricep only.

the pivot cannot use the chest muscles as a force applier, because the point of load (your hands) is on the inside of the point.

actually, im screwing myself up here!!

the shoulder as a pivot and chest muscle as a force applier is close to non existen its all elbow/tris.

EDIT: In concluding...

you want the optimal balance. the narrowest possible grip that still full utilizes the entire chest/shoulder force/pivot with the assitance of the secondary lever the tri/elbow while not impeding on the masimal use of the chest.

So is hand go straight up... then maybe 6 inches wider.

From a purely mechanical POV... this is the best.

God damn I feel nerdy!

Sensei
01-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Deeder,
I don't think you want to move your grip in, unless you are having shoulder issues and/or unable to involve your upper back. If you are comfortable w. a wider grip, use it - it will decrease the range of motion and should mean bigger numbers. If you are planning on using a bench shirt ever, then you are definately at a huge advantage w. a wider grip.

As far as the arch goes, the guy I photographed was just a random guy at a Japanese PL gym. The owner was a silver medalist at the IPF World's BP Championships and his daughter was a BP national champion and international-level competitor. They use PVC to loosen up before benching and work on arch, but they don't use weight with it.

deeder
01-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Deeder,
I don't think you want to move your grip in, unless you are having shoulder issues and/or unable to involve your upper back. If you are comfortable w. a wider grip, use it - it will decrease the range of motion and should mean bigger numbers. If you are planning on using a bench shirt ever, then you are definately at a huge advantage w. a wider grip.

As far as the arch goes, the guy I photographed was just a random guy at a Japanese PL gym. The owner was a silver medalist at the IPF World's BP Championships and his daughter was a BP national champion and international-level competitor. They use PVC to loosen up before benching and work on arch, but they don't use weight with it.

Yeah I was wondering about using weight with something under my back... That could get nasty :p

I'm looking at getting a shirt soon and my sticking point with the wide grip is right on my chest... Generally if I can power it up halfway I can lock it out no matter how slowly...

I've got lots of time to play with some stuff before nationals.

deeder
01-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Ok, lets throw some more crap on the mix.

Why is the CGBP so much more tricep targetive?

Because once the point of load is on the inside of the pivot, you basically deactivate a major force applier... the chest muscle.

in a close grip, the pivot becomes the elbow not the shoulder. thus the main force applier becomes the tricep only.

the pivot cannot use the chest muscles as a force applier, because the point of load (your hands) is on the inside of the point.

actually, im screwing myself up here!!

the shoulder as a pivot and chest muscle as a force applier is close to non existen its all elbow/tris.

EDIT: In concluding...

you want the optimal balance. the narrowest possible grip that still full utilizes the entire chest/shoulder force/pivot with the assitance of the secondary lever the tri/elbow while not impeding on the masimal use of the chest.

So is hand go straight up... then maybe 6 inches wider.

From a purely mechanical POV... this is the best.

God damn I feel nerdy!

I'm in no real mood to think... Just finished a workout :thumbup:

I understand what you're saying but I think you're oversimplifying something that really can't be... There are just too many muscles involved.

Fuzzy
01-07-2007, 07:43 PM
I was talking from a purely physics point of view.

I hear alot of benchers say that the last has alot to do with it, so theres another variable...

Ofcourse it isnt that simple, but I felt like thinking yesterday. But now Im so sore i cbf ether.

500squat
01-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Great video man...good job....lifts are really good...

Ruffian
01-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Fuzzy, dude... Deeder is in second year university and majoring in mathmatics with a minor in physics. I'm pretty sure hes' right. You cant oversimplify the shoulder, think of all the muscles that are involved!! A pivot is a pivot, that would be purely the joint and have nothing to do with the muscles that are involved. Besides, your whole "arms straight up and then six inches over" would put you EXACTLY where Lucas' arms were in the first place LOL!

Also, a CGBP the pivot is still your shoulder. You shouldnt be using your elbow as the primary pivot in any of these excersizes. The reason it hits the triceps hard is the same reason a sumo stance targets the interior quadriceps muscles- placement of weight. When your hands are closer together it makes the pectoral muscles pretty much useles.. Their ROM is decreased until it is negligible, and at the same time, the triceps are forced to take over their slack. The triceps and pectoral muscles are worked in every BP motion, you just switch the primary targeted muscle around. As for the "best" position for benching- It depends upon the person. EAch person will have a certain muscle group that is naturally stronger then another muscle group, or a ROM that feels more natural to them.

I think we should leave the physics of the motion to the PHds.

Fuzzy
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey, Im aloud to apply some basic 9th grade physics arent I?

Guido
01-09-2007, 08:44 AM
Bout the bench grip width: optimal hand placement is dependent on your individual physiology. There is no "best" hand placement on the bar for everyone. It depends on shoulder width and length of upper arms. At ~5'9 and with average length arms for my height, I've found that having my ring fingers on the rings is optimal for me because it allows my to use my chest and lats properly at the bottom to middle of the ROM while allowing me to still keep my elbows close in and use my tri's effectively for lockout. If you are taller or have longer arms, you should probably use a slightly wider grip than me. If you are shorter or have shorter arms you will probably want to be somewhat narrower.

Ruffian: You made those first 2 lifts look easy, but 105-122.5 is a big jump! I think you'd have had 110-115 on a third attempt. Still great to set a PR at a first meet!