PDA

View Full Version : Breast Feeding Mom Diet

jamrock
01-02-2007, 06:15 AM
That title will probably get some attention...maybe? Probably just me..

My baby momma is trying to lose weight, she has quite a bit to lose. I am not sure that she can eat the same as me (ckd/psmf) due to the fact she breast feeds still.

Breast feeding is important to us, but so is her health...

(body-for-life to get things started??? I'd have to adapt to whatever her diet is..)

Holto
01-02-2007, 12:54 PM
One thing to consider is taking some DHA, generally in the form of fish oil.

jamrock
01-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I just need someone to tell me if a restricted carb type diet is bad for a woman who is still nursing a child... anyone?

Unreal
01-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Not sure, but I don't think I would want to see a mom in ketosis. Restricted carb maybe fine, but I would keep them high enough to stay out of ketosis. Other then that, I would say eat alot of veggies and nutrient dense food. Spinach, brocolli, dark greens, peppers, etc.

Optimum08
01-03-2007, 08:37 AM
:withstupi. lots of veggies/fruits.

Maki Riddington
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Aim to eat quality foods. Nuts, fish, lean cuts of meat, veggies and fruits. Drink lots of water and track calories. Weight train three times a week and perform some cardiovascular exercise. The life of a baby is a more important then losing some pounds. Worry about that later on when she's done.

Why people think that fast tracking fat loss by using diets is going to promote healthy habits is beyond me. BASICS. Use them.

Alex.V
01-03-2007, 02:28 PM
The milk will take care of itself, provided the mother isn't starving. As long as there are no amino acids or fatty acids missing in the diet, chances are the breast milk will be just fine. The worry will start to be for the mother. Granted, her body won't let her die, but she could find herself very weak if she tries doing anything other than a basic slightly hypocaloric diet.

Best thing to do is what Maki suggests... keep her diet clean and well balanced... just take down the calories a bit by getting rid of the excess sugars, saturated fats, etc.

Priority is the baby. Everything else can wait.