PDA

View Full Version : How much soy is too much soy?

intargc
01-02-2007, 08:57 AM
I've read the articles that talk badly about soy and I've read enough proof to believe it somewhat. However, I have a delima.

For breakfast, I usually need something quick, ready and easy. Now, I used to drink a Meal Replacement shake, however, I found that after a couple of years of doing that, my body started to reject it. Not sure why, but I'd start to get stomach cramps and throw up after drinking any protein or meal replacement shakes. So, I stopped drinking them. I went to the Doc and we ruled out lactose intolerance. We actually couldn't figure out what it was with the shakes, but we did narrow it down to the shakes that my stomach was rejecting. I tried everything from just Whey Isolate shakes to Muscle Milk, to a few other MRP's that I found on the market. My stomach was rejecting ALL of them and I kind of got sick of throwing up after drinking a shake. :)

What I started eating in the morning was a South Beach Diet Meal Replacement Bar... They're very yummy, not amazingly expensive and have 20 grams of protein... The only problem is that it's 100% soy protein. So, I went out looking for an alternative... something with Whey in it. I found very few that weren't crammed with sugar and if they weren't crammed with sugar, they tasted like my remote control or couch.

I'd like to continue to eat the South Beach MRB's, but I am worried about the effects of soy protein. I'm just curious if having 1 or 2 bars a morning would be enough to have a bad reaction to soy, or if it's a legitimate amount? If so, can anyone suggest an MRB that tastes somewhat good, isn't crammed with sugar and uses Whey or some other protein besides Soy?

Also, for argument sake, I'm looking for a quick Meal Replacement solution. Please don't just come on here and say stuff like "make your own food" or anything like that. I do make my own food. However, there are times between working 10 hours a day, training Muay Thai at night, getting to the gym, studying for an exam and trying to manage spending time with the girlfriend that there is something fulfilling and less stressful about just picking up a meal replacement bar and getting out of the house ASAP. So, please... help if you can... It is appreciated.

Thanks!

galileo
01-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Although I feel soy is a subpar selection, I don't think it should be an issue. What are you concerned about?

intargc
01-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I've read a few things, all consistent with each other but by different authors...

The things that concern me of course are raising estrogen in males, raising LDL cholesterol, thyroid problems, etc...

There are articles on T-Nation all the time about the problems with Soy... Which, typically I wouldn't just believe anything posted on T-nation, but the articles and studies they usually cite on their Soy articles are pretty interesting and believable.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Good read on soy ~> http://www.mediafire.com/?6yoiwwktaty

stepto180
01-02-2007, 01:56 PM
i have also read bad things about soy about it lowering testosterone levels in males...my coach suggests males dont eat it at all
My sister loves trioplex bars and they are one of the best for you bars out there in my opnion(I have a little trouble eating them,kinda dry)...another thing I do is hard boil a bunch of eggs so when I have no time I just grab a few of them( i dont eat the yolks but whever works for you)

malkore
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
research on soy is still sketchy. i've seen studies where men on soy increased testosterone levels, not significantly, but they went up not down.

i just don't think we can make a good decision on it. therefore I kind of avoid it when I can...I don't try to get soy in my diet, but I do eat morningstar stuff sometimes to break up the monotony.