PDA

View Full Version : Post-Workout: Whey and Tuna Together? OK???

Hunt
02-13-2002, 12:05 PM
I've been reading about the rapid uptake benefit of Whey Protein as well as its lack of anti-catabolic effects. I was thinking that one solution might be to drink the Whey Protein shake for the rapid amino boost and then have tuna as a longer absorption protein source for an anti-catabolic effect. Is this reasonabe for getting lots of protein and spread out??

Also, what is a good pre-workout meal? Is it a good idea to have some protein floating around pre-workout as well and not just carbs for energy?? Thanks for the help.

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2002, 12:28 PM
take your whey after your workout...but save the tuna for 1-2 hours after your immediate postworkout meal/drink. Everything in you post shake should be absorbed quickly.

hemants
02-13-2002, 12:29 PM
If you're eating every 3 or 4 hours then the whole protein absorpotion speed thing is overrated IMO.

I don't seen anything wrong with Tuna and Whey if you like the taste :)

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2002, 12:31 PM
I don't seen anything wrong with Tuna and Whey if you like the taste
Oh yeah, tuna and whey sounds disgusting too

Hunt
02-13-2002, 12:35 PM
Slim and Hemants:

Thanks for the advice - I was also concerned whether taking the whey drink and tuna together might lead to the whey not being taken up as thoroughly or quickly. But there is no problem waiting to eat the tuna as well. Is 42g of protein from the Whey sufficient post-workout? I've heard that it is good to also have some carbs in there as well - orange juice cool?? Thanks bros.

Slim Schaedle
02-13-2002, 12:38 PM
Yes, 42 sounds decent......and yes, carbs are a must. I suggest dextrose powder, above any juice etc. It's cheap too.

mr_hand
02-14-2002, 09:50 AM
Because I dont get home till 8:30pm, I'll have a whey shake right before I go to the gym, so when I get home at 10:30 I'll have tuna or eggs or something, cuz Im not gonna have a shake when I get home, then wait till 12:30pm to eat. Fock that. Im figuring the whey is asboring while Im working out anyway, and then I come home and eat some slow absorbing protein, which covers me during my ZZZZZZZZZZ's

Slim Schaedle
02-14-2002, 11:10 AM
mr_hand, do you have time to work out in the morning before school/work?

mr_hand
02-14-2002, 01:53 PM
Unfortunately no. I work full time, and then go to class directly after work. Its a real bitch. Im tired as hell in the a.m.

aeckhardt
02-14-2002, 02:23 PM
You need carbs after you workout. And I would stick to something other than juice. Juice will refill liver glycogen not muscle glycogen. And don't worry about the carbs turning to fat when you sleep. CArbs eaten after lifting go towards refilling muscle glycogen, plus fat burning is increased after lifting even when eating carbs.

The_Chicken_Daddy
02-14-2002, 03:56 PM
You guys ever heard of milk?

piss-easy cals and fast AND slow digesting protein.

Good vits/minerals too.

And damn cheap. It's like a "wonder" supplement...

the_hall
02-14-2002, 06:39 PM
I dont see why people dont just use Nlarge. Take 4 schoops of that **** and your set, it has the necessary carbs as well as 50g protien. It is pretty cheap too. That is why prolab makes it, for postworkout. It is better than orange juice.

Slim Schaedle
02-14-2002, 06:46 PM
malto/dextrose and whey.....my vote's in