PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Using "Built's" Method

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 12:04 AM
These are my first couple of days on the cut. I think I am doing a fairly good job following the program , but let me know what you think about my numbers.

Day 1: Training Day-
Total Cals: 2244
Fat: 82 740 34%
Sat: 26 234 11%
Poly: 6 54 2%
Mono: 19 174 8%
Carbs: 179 651 30%
Fiber: 17 0 0%
Protein: 193 774 36%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Foods: Cottage Cheese , Whole milk, Natty PB, Apple, olive oil ,baked potatoe and 1/2tbsp butter , broiled chicken , Egg white and yolk, broccoli and 1/2 tbsp butter , protein drink with water during workout, and applejuice for creatine.

Day 2 - Rest

Total Cals: 2218
Fat: 99 895 42%
Sat: 43 386 18%
Poly: 2 21 1%
Mono: 13 119 6%
Carbs: 96 334 16%
Fiber: 13 0 0%
Protein: 230 922 43%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Foods: Cottage Cheese , Whole milk, Natty PB, 1 Orange, 1 Cup o' strawberries, can of tuna, filet mignon , broiled chicken , Egg white and yolk, broccoli and tbsp butter , and applejuice for creatine.

It seems like I have to eat every hour to stay satiated. Maybe since I am recently coming off a bulk it seems worse than it will be. I am concerned about the cals though , my goal was 2500/day and I seem to be falling a few hundred cals short of this. Taking it with a grain of salt, my BMR according to a website , is in a range of 2800-3100cal/day. Am I close enough to the 20% mark or should I try to up cals a little bit , because I don't want to lose much mass I gained from bulking.

Here is link of my recent end of bulk pics: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1572870#post1572870

Built
01-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Okay - what were your bulking calories? You may have tried to cut too low.

Also, your fibre should be closer to 25g for the day - you may find you feel a little more satiated with more bulk to your food.

BMR is the calories necessary to sit up in bed and breathe. You do NOT diet lower than this.

I'm confused you may have in fact calculated your maintenance calories, which isn't interesting to me anyway.

What were your bulking calories, and how fast were you gaining?

ArchAngel777
01-04-2007, 07:34 AM
It seems like I have to eat every hour to stay satiated. Maybe since I am recently coming off a bulk it seems worse than it will be. I am concerned about the cals though , my goal was 2500/day and I seem to be falling a few hundred cals short of this. Taking it with a grain of salt, my BMR according to a website , is in a range of 2800-3100cal/day. Am I close enough to the 20% mark or should I try to up cals a little bit , because I don't want to lose much mass I gained from bulking.

Here is link of my recent end of bulk pics: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1572870#post1572870

Well, actually, I have found it is much easier to diet after a bulk. But that might be just me. I get tired of being bloated and it actually feels good and clean to eat less. But I didn't drop in here just to say that...

Looking at your foods, I am very surprised you need to eat every hour to stay satiated. You might want to try loading up on Broccolli (raw, uncooked) 5 - 10 minutes before your meals. This has been very helpful for me (especially on UD 2.0 depletion days). I would eat, at minimum a cup of it raw with a little bit of dip (measure it out carefully!). Then I would load up on protein (2 - 3 chicken breasts 12 - 16 oz total). Believe it or not, dinner is under 500 calories and is very, very filling. I am sure you already know all this, but I would be very very surprised if something like that didn't keep you full for at least 3 hours, minimum. I had that last night and I still felt full this morning and STILL had to stuff some chicken down me. Something about lean protein meat is very filling and slow digesting.

Now, there is a difference between being 'full' and 'satiated'. I believe the latter is more a battle of the will. For instance, you can be full and not satisfied. Usually that feeling is because you wanted something sweet, or you crave something. Generally you crave something you shouldn't have rather than more of what you currently ate. That part is difficult to work with. It is very easy to know if you are truly hungry, just dish up more of what you already ate. If you don't want it, then you probably just had taste buds that want something you shouldn't have. Just my opinion on it... But sometimes you just have to feed the sweet tooth.

Edit **

I also wanted to add that this battle is mental much of the time. I was able to perform PSMF with no difficulty at all (1,200 calories a day) in the past. But now I started UD 2.0 and the depletion days allow for 1,500 calories, nearly indenticle to PSMF. However, UD 2.0 has been MORE difficult because I know that I get to refeed after 4 days. It is almost as if knowing your diet ahead of time makes it all that much more difficult to be patient. Last night I kept dreaming of tonight when I could eat my carbs! So, yeah, I really think the mind plays a huge role in hunger.

luckee001
01-04-2007, 08:46 AM
Built- for a small female with very low body fat (100 pounds, 10% bf or less), what sort of macro ratios do you recommend for a very clean bulk? It seems that I have to go over 2 grams protein per pound of body weight so that my carbs don't get too high. I am shooting for 1900-2000 cals. Can you give me an example macro split that would be ideal for a clean bulk for someone of my size? thank you so much

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Sorry...I knew I should have proofread. Maintence calories , you are correct Built. My bulking was 3400-3800 , however I noticed I was really starting to put on some chunk around the middle so I was thinking those calories might have been a little too high, maybe.

Although my bulking diet was more of the "seefood" diet, not clean at all, I had started bulking before I read your guide. I gained 7 pounds in almost 3 weeks. I
I had been eating fairly bad for a while now and I figured it was time to start eating healthy and do a nice little cut. Now when I do decide to bulk again I will be eating healthier and smarter.

What are a couple of good sources of fibre? Are the proportions okay, becides the fibre? Thanks for the help Built, I appreciate it!

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Arch , I know what you mean about the carbs. I am carb cycling and I am eating them on training days, and yesterday was a rest day... I hate rest days , lol. My meals were a cup of broccoli and a 6 oz chicken breast with a tbsp of butter on the broccoli, no where near 12-16 oz of chicken. I am sure that is contributing in no small part to not feeling "satiated". My sweet tooth was held in check yesterday, barely, by some fresh strawberries. Damn , a cookie sounds good right about now.

Vapour Trails
01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
43g of saturated fat on a cut?

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
43g of saturated fat on a cut?

Well , I am going as close to diet as possible. The cottage cheese has a lot of sat fat, and the tbspn of butter also. I have to get my fat , and these are very accessible sources.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
01-04-2007, 04:41 PM
Try olive olive, natural peanut butter, and nuts.

Built
01-04-2007, 04:45 PM
luckee, check your PMs. :)

Okay, Lean, how about we assume you're at about 20% bodyfat and have maintenance cals at about 3000 a day as a starting point.

If you wanted to carb cycle and you're lifting four days a week, you could start with something like this:

LBM = 141 lbs.
Maintenance calories: 3000 per day;
4 lifting/HIIT days per week.
A caloric deficit of 4,200 calories per week,
for a loss of of 1.2 pounds per week

Average daily macros:
211g of protein,
104g of fat, and
156g of carbohydrate,
2,400 calories in total.

(4) Lifting/HIIT days:
211g of protein,
92g of fat, and
210g of carbohydrate,
2,507 calories in total.

(3) Rest/SS Cardio days:
211g of protein,
120g of fat, and
84g of carbohydrate,
2,257 calories in total.

Feel free to deviate from this as your comfort dictates - it's just a starting point, but you may find it helpful.

Aim to get in at least 25g fibre a day. It'll help.

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 04:59 PM
WOW! Thanks Built! Okay my original estimate of 2500cals wasn't too far off , however what I figured for my carbs was pretty far off. Thanks for setting me straight. What are the proper sources of fiber I should be looking at? Thanks again Built.

Lean-N-Mean
01-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Try olive olive, natural peanut butter, and nuts.

I have all of those in my diet already. I guess I could up the olive oil intake to cut out some of the saturated fats.

Lean-N-Mean
01-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Last 2 day macro breakdown:

Rest Day:
Total Cals: 2460
Fat: 122 1101 46%
Sat: 51 461 19%
Poly: 10 94 4%
Mono: 34 307 13%
Carbs: 136 481 20%
Fiber: 16 0 0%
Protein: 205 818 34%

*Fat and Protein right on target , however the carbs got away from me. Went out to eat and got a baked potatoe , should have asked for steamed veggies instead. Fiber still too low and cals a little too high.

Training Day:
Total Cals: 2484
Fat: 105 948 39%
Sat: 41 371 15%
Poly: 10 92 4%
Mono: 32 285 12%
Carbs: 176 613 25%
Fiber: 23 0 0%
Protein: 213 851 35%

* Carbs were a little lower than what I wanted , fat a touch higher , however the cals and protein were on the money. I think as I get a little more familiar with these foods I will be able to get closer to what you suggested as a starting point , Built. Almost got my 25g fiber , making progress in that area at least.

Avg Daily:

Total Cals: 2472
Fat: 113.5
Sat: 46
Poly: 10
Mono: 33
Carbs: 156
Fiber: 19.5
Protein: 209

Averages look fairly close , can't complain for only being at this a short time.

ps. Don't worry future macros will be in my online journal thread.

the doc
01-06-2007, 10:19 AM
apple juice w/ creatine? nah...to much fructose. why not creatine + 1/2 a baked potato + water?

Lean-N-Mean
01-06-2007, 10:44 AM
apple juice w/ creatine? nah...to much fructose. why not creatine + 1/2 a baked potato + water?

I have always seen that and grape juice as primary suggestions for taking creatine, except for water and dextrose which I don't have any of. Also I take it in about only 2 oz of apple juice, kind of creatine "shot" if you will. This only on my rest days, at least from now on, I mix the creatine in my proetin drink that I sip during my workout.

the doc
01-06-2007, 10:47 AM
ahh i see. I thought you were using apple juice as a primary sugar source. 2 oz will make little difference

you could substitute baked potato for detrose/maltodextrin however

Lean-N-Mean
01-06-2007, 11:10 AM
ahh i see. I thought you were using apple juice as a primary sugar source. 2 oz will make little difference

you could substitute baked potato for detrose/maltodextrin however

I didn't know that about the baked potatoe , thanks, more info is always better.

Built
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Lean -

There's nothing magical about how I set up your macros - I just find it easier to control hunger on lower carbs, but I need 'em on lifting days so I cycle the calories along with the carbs. Plus you sure look forward to training days when you get more food!

Re fibre: I eat broccoli, green beans and a big salad every day, with half an avocado and a pepper. Also, the raw nuts I eat have fibre.

Berries are tasty and lower in carb than some other fruits. They're also very high in both fibre and antioxidants - all qualities that are helpful on a cut.